December 22, 2014 | 1081 users online

Mascara - Clarins - Double Fix

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2008 3:42:00 AM More reviews by havenexpress

I'm the girl who tear so freakin' easily thanks to my eye allergies. And of course, I have to love mascara, so karma isn't good to me when it comes to smearing and smudging. So, with that said, I L.O.V.E. Clarins' Mascara Fix! I have a tube of (waterproof) Diorshow that I hate because it smudges like crazy on me, but I can't bear to throw away an expensive tube of mascara. Yesterday, I used Fix and my lashes were gorgeous. Today. I was too lazy to use Fix over Diorshow and I looked like I haven't slept in days. Not a pretty sight. I won't be so lazy tomorrow.

Caveat; be careful not to overapply. In fact, I find best results if I allow my mascara to dry first before applying this to avoid clumping.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2007 7:26:00 PM More reviews by drexalia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff!. I am a mascara junkie, always looking for the perfect mascara and unfortunately I haven't found it. However, this stuff helps make other mascaras almost perfect. I like YSL faux cils and Diorshow, as far as how they look when first applied. However, faux cils flakes on me (think unattractive black bits on my face) and diorshow flakes and seems to disappear after a while. However, with mascara fix over it, faux cils lasts all day, no flakes and it does the same for diorshow.
You have to be careful not to apply too much of this stuff though otherwise you can see it (gel like clumps over your mascara isn't so pretty). However, once you get the hang of how much to apply, it's not a problem. I sometimes use a mascara comb over it to just to make sure there is not clumping.
This product is clear, but mine turns a little grey-ish from picking up the black from my mascara if it hasn't fully dried before I put this over it. I find it works regardless of whether you wait till your mascara is totally dry or not. I try to wait though by apply mascara to both eyes first and then following with mascara fix.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2007 2:23:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

[UPDATE 2: strayed occasionally over the years, but I've always returned to this. That rarest of products: does what it says it'll do. In this case, waterproof your mascara.]

[UPDATE (2009): This product used (2007) to be called Fix' Mascara (squidhy tube), called Double Fix' Mascara these days. Same formula, a little less product, better - rigid, non-squeezy - tube, slightly improved brush and neck/wipe mechanism.]

[original review] If I could give one product 6 stars, it would be the Fix. I have been using this "waterproofing seal" for years, and can report that it works. I use it on rainy and/or windy days, and regularly (at least 3 times a week) for swimming laps.

What is does is very simple. It waterproofs and smudgeproofs lashes. It leaves them soft and supple. It removes easily. On all three counts, performing better than any waterproof mascara I've ever tried. Better still, it works with any mascara - so no need to sacrifice all the benefits of one's favourite mascara.

The only other thing like this in existence is the Galoshes end of Urban Decay's Lingerie And Galoshes, but there's more of it in the Fix's tube, and it's a better deal if you'd rather not have the fluffy fibrous underwear. [UPDATE: Galoshes is not more.] I haven't compared it to other mascara sealants: comparing ingredient lists and brushes should help there? (ingredients follow at end of review)

Application: First, apply your usual mascara. Comb through (thin metal-toothed lash comb); allow to dry. Then paint a ***very very fine*** coat of the Fix on the top and bottom sides of both upper and lower lashes. It takes the form of a thin gel, at least on the first application it'll be clear, thereafter it will, like all good things, turn grey. A single fine coat will suffice; the main thing is to ensure coverage of all lashes, all round each one. Comb through fast, while this is still wet, before it sets.

The combing-through-immediately business is crucial. I tend to do one lot of lashes (say, top right), then comb through, then next lot (bottom right), then comb through, and so on. Voila - mascara will stay in place and be waterproof.

Remove with oily / waterproof make-up remover. I use a blend of sunflower and mineral oils (50:50), applied on a good "Swiss" non-flaky cotton-wool pad or small toweling pad (tip: no need to buy the expensive health-store type - make your own out of old wash-cloths). Then rinse with cool water and apply eye cream.

PROS:

(1) Given that non-waterproof mascaras seem to be better formulated (less drying etc.) than waterproof ones, the Fix means that waterproof mascaras can be completely ignored now. And no, it isn't going to double one's time in front of the mirror; I find it might add about a minute.

(2) HUGE PRO: It is definitely waterproof. Withstands rain- and snow-storms, saunas, steam-rooms, hot kitchens, and swimming. I originally used this when rowing, for hours at a time, usually in rain, and with associated splashing. I've also tested out the Fix's performance against waterproof mascara, including Tubers like Blinc/Kiss Me and Clinique Lash Power. The Fix wins.

(3) Smudgeproof. Even in very hot sweaty weather.

(4) Fixes lashes in place, without making them dry and crunchy (but *do comb throug*). Taming waifs and strays and those obtuse individuals that insist on poking out sideways. Good for long nights out... or in...

(5) Can be used as an eyebrow-fixing gel.

(6) Like other Clarins products, not tested on animals, but tested on The Sensitive. Fully compatible with sensitive eyes, allergies, and contact lenses. No flaking, no fibres, nothing there to smudge, and no fragrance.

NOT PROPER CONS AS FIXABLE:

(1) Technique is - emphatically - key. Just one light coat, and comb through. One should beware of putting on more than a light coat. Bad things ensue: lashes will have visible gel tubes around them, and attractive blobs on the ends. But if worst comes to worst, still fixable with a lash comb.

(2) Tip for after swimming: the Fix will smudge and clump if you touch it while it is damp and warm. Leave it severely alone until it is cool and dry, then comb through lashes, then if need be touch up with regular mascara. This shouldn't weight your lashes down and make them crusty and crunchy, if you're using a decent (light, supple etc.) regular mascara with the Fix.

(3) One also needs to wipe off the excess on the end of the wand. There's also usually some excess at the other end of the brush - before brush becomes handle: to avoid this, wiggle the brush while pulling it out from the tube, to catch those bits on the inner collar of the tube's neck. The new "Double Fix" tube deals better with this issue (it's exactly the same stuff as the regular Fix, but in a smaller tube).

(4) Although the Fix will become darker with use, this darkening seems to stop at the stage of elderly-underwear-grey, and I haven't noticed it make any difference to mascara colour. Unless you don't comb through after application. So comb through...

THE FINAL PRO: The Fix is economically viable as it lasts for a very long time. The package claims 36 months. I've never kept it for that long, but at least 6 months and up to 9 (ignoring the 3 month rule for mascara but using the sniff test). Cost: around EUR 16.00 to 18.00 / GBP 13.50 / USD 18.00

INGREDIENTS: isodecane - polyethylene - disteardimonium hectorite - synthetic wax - vp/eicosene copolymer - propylene carbonate - trimethylsiloxysilicate - parfum - ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate continued >>

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2007 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Ashz0r

part of my everyday make-up routine!
put it on before ur mascara and it separates them perfectly , making sure nothing will smudge..
i hate waterproof mascaras so i think it is so much better to buy this and put it on instead, it absolutely does what its meant to!! it may cost 14 quid, but the fact that i use it everyday and it actually works, justifies the price.
it can get a bit messy and discoloured if applied over mascara, but that has never stopped it from doing what its supposed to.
i love clarins ^_^

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2007 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Suselew

This has become a permanent staple in my routine. I don't have to worry about my mascara smearing under my eyes now. And, I can wear my favorite colored mascaras. It's easy to apply and really works! I let my mascara dry completely and make this the last step in my morning routine. I'm not fond of having to wipe the brush after using it, but you really don't want to stick the mascara/gel mix back into the tube. Not a perfect design, but not sure how you would change it.
Just make sure you get a good waterproof mascara remover for this product. Clarins makes a good one that works very well and doesn't sting or cloud your eyes.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2007 12:35:00 PM More reviews by Figure88

wow, wow, WOW! I was skeptical about this product...the idea that I had to put something on over my mascara freaked me out & I had visions of clumpy Tammy Faye lashes. However, in my desperation to make my favorite mascara stay on (Benefit's Badgal) I gave it a shot. I swapped for this item and I am soOoooOooO glad I went for it, it is AMAZING! The first time I tried it I only applied to one eye and then compared through out the day - this stuff makes your mascara stay on forever - I worked, hit the gym, cooked, and even swam. Basically I put this stuff through cosmetic boot camp and it surpassed my expectations and then some! Mascara fix keeps my lashes curled all day, my mascara on (no flakes, raccoon eyes, NOTHING) and best of all did not irritate or hurt my eyes at all, allllllllll jeah! I always ask myself - is this a product I would use on my wedding day, and if the answer is a quick yes I know it is a keeper. Excellent stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2007 9:08:00 PM More reviews by viverr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am swooning over this product! I can now use any type of mascara with no worries on the smudge/racoon eye factor!!! it is smudgeproof AND waterprooof. and you only need to use a tiny bit of it. it stings my eyes a bit though... will update soon on that.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2007 10:13:00 AM More reviews by modfemme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff. Like many of you, I've been a human racoon for years since I am addicted to mascara but could never get it not to smudge. This stuff is amazing!!! I find that you only need to use a little of this to smudge-proof and waterproof your masacra otherwise you'll get more of a build-up than you'd want. I even use this on my eyebrows after shading them in to keep them waterproof too. Thank you Clarins. I wish they made something like this for eyeliner! The only crappy thing that someone else mentioned is that it does come in a toothpaste-ish tube that gets squeezed easily so you can't really just toss this into your really full purse or the product will build up at the top.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2007 6:17:00 PM More reviews by savethemarianne

I found this to leave a thick clumpy gel on my lashes, I had to comb it through to make it wearable. Also, it clumped my lashes together making them lose the natural look. However, I DO think it works, my mascara did run a bit after using it but notably not as much as it would've done without, it onl left a tiny grey smear after a good splashing with water and even so I'd have blamed that on my application rather than the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2007 9:09:00 AM More reviews by raspy85

Most mascaras, even waterproof, always smudge on me. And my curls usually become straight after a few hours. After using this, I need not worry about smudged mascara or droopy eyelashes!

What I don't like is that I need to wipe the brush before putting it back into the tube, otherwise the formula will change color.