October 25, 2014 | 1812 users online

Fragrances - Bulgari - Jasmin Noir

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2008 3:17:00 AM More reviews by LollyD

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh my, what a lovely, sexy surprise. I have notorious trouble finding a perfume that won't turn on my skin. My signature fragrance has been Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir for years and years, but it is becoming very difficult to find. I also wear Lolita Lempicka well.
I wasn't interested in anything Jasmine because I think of Jasmine bathroom sprays or my grandmother, but I let them tempt me with this because it is Bulgari. THANK YOU NORDSTROM WE HAVE A WINNER!
This came on slightly green & smoky and went luscious, dark, oriental, woody and wonderful on my skin. I am not at all surprised to find many of you either hate it or find it does nothing on you - that is how Boudoir is for most. It seems to only really work on the small forlorn percent of us who can't wear Coco, Shalimar or any of the greats.
The ultimate test was my husband, of course. To date, Boudoir has been the only perfume that he has really loved on me. When I came home smelling of Jasmine Noir he went crazy for it.
It's all chemistry, I know. I love the reviews given where some of you can identify the notes and the process of the dry down. I am still working on figuring out which ingredient(s) it is that sours on me so bad in other perfumes.
On a side note - on my other wrist I had sampled Tom Ford's white patchouli. Holy god it was stinky foul on me. So tragic. I worship Tom Ford. Sigh.
Bulgari Jasmine Noir is my new love though. It really is dark, exotic, elegant and seductive.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by noahnoah

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh no.... What a disappointment. I love jasmine but this one smells EXACTLY like Old Spice... Is this fragrance Unisex?

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2008 5:48:00 AM More reviews by sharmar

How disappointing..........I'm sorry to have to post my first truly negative review. .I'm a fan of most Bulgari fragrances (especially pour Femme, Omnia, Blu Notte as beautiful, elegant, balanced, unique and generally wonderful smelling fragrances) so rushed to get this at Nordstrom's after reading a glowing review here. Oh, my goodness - it stinks! My husband wrinkled up his nose and said 'what were you thinking to buy that? and what were they thinking to actually make it?'. I really found no redeeming qualities. At best i can say it is an unpleasant version of NR.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 7:22:00 AM More reviews by doree_001

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I hate to be the first here to give relatively low rating but I am not impressed with this fragrance at all.
It almost has not smell on my skin for the first couple of minutes. After that, just the slight woody note developes and the scent becomes gloomy, dark and melancholic. Yes, it is close to the skin, a "quiet" fragrance, like most of the reviewers have already said...but it is not sensuous or gentle or warm, as I expected. It reminds me of a dark wood during the wet, cold, gloomy night... Somehow sorrowful really.
My husband described it as a "rotten wood on a metallic ground" (he always makes weird fragrance descriptions)... My opinion is that it lacks a "sparkle" which I always like in fragrances. It is just simply woody-earthy, linear, gloomy, melancholic and for me definitely rather boring.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2008 7:53:00 AM More reviews by annabellegan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

A sultry, close-to-the-skin scent that envelops you in its warm embrace and doesn't let go until the final curtain has fallen. Jasmin Noir gaily sings her opening notes of gardenia petals, subtly refreshed with green sap; before launching into the full-scale chorus of jasmine sambac harmonized with the velvety accords of satin almond. Here is where the gourmand spirit of the perfume is released, tentatively, on a leash. Licorice, precious woods and tonka bean then usher in the final chapter before the bouquet gracefully, lingeringly bows out. That said, the heart of the scent truly belongs to the night-blooming jasmine sambac. Heavier on indoles than the jasmine grandiflorum (enabling night insects to detect and pollinate the flowers), hence its darker, more sensual and animalistic trait; none of the fruitier consonants prevalent in the jasmine grandiflorum. Opulent without being shrill. I see this as a comfort fragrance as opposed to a night-out-in-towner. I digress, but Jasmin Noir is too far classy to have the likes of skanky Kate Moss fronting its ad campaign. Particularly when its positioning is supposed to be 'prestigious'. Cate Blanchett would have been the beau ideal.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 1:07:00 PM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Jasmin Noir is quite a departure from Bvlgariís usual cool-headed, innovative works of fragrance art. With that beautiful dark bottle and leading name, I was hoping with all my heart to discover a cheaper, fruitier Jasmin de Nuit, which is one of my very favourite but fairly prestigious (so out of my reach) dream-fumes.
On first spray, the wearer is overcome with blackcurrant boiled sweets and wine gums. If Iím going to get sweets from a fragrance, they may as well be dark, molasses-like and weird. The liquorice comes through with aplomb.
But what is this? The fruitiness and sappiness seems to be playing above a bass line of Christian Diorís Dune. I pondered for a long while Ė is that Dune or Addict? A little of both, but itís too fuzzy on my skin. The only way I can get my head around the base is if I mentally disperse the glass-shard edginess I get from Dune and Addict and turn them into earth.
I have a very strong idea of what this fragrance conjures up for me. Itís Keira Knightley in Atonement. Itís her in that green satin dress being devoured against the bookshelf, with salty, earthy skin. And itís a shock that thereís a bit of nastiness about the way she smells.

7 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 8:03:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Based on the name, I was hoping for a dramatic jasmine (which was never likely from Bulgari) so this pleasant but quiet perfume came as a disappointment. The opening is quite sweet with gardenia and a slightly thick vegetal smell (which might be the sap)? After ten minutes I got very subtle jasmine and fading gardenia balanced with woods and tonka - at this stage it smelled like a hundred other nicely-behaved but unexciting scents. After a few hours it dried down to a woody base with a floral so indistinct it could be rose as easily as jasmine. At all stages it was quiet on my skin, so I would never have been conscious of it if I wasn't deliberately sniffing my wrist. I don't think anyone could hate this perfume but I doubt I will even use up my samples because the world is full of more exciting, more distinctive, more intriguing and more memorable scents, and I would rather give skin-time to those.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by Mona24

I just got this today and I bought it with out trying it ( actually had someone pick it up for me) but the description sounded wonderful so I coudn't pass it up. I love it! I'm not good at pointing out the different scents but at first spray it smells like Gucci ( the latest one) but in seconds it drys down to a pretty soft scent reminds me of end of summer begining of fall... Sorry im not good at desribing the notes but im a big fan of Prada classic and flowerbomb and D&G the one so i hope that helps

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2008 7:41:00 PM More reviews by evemccue528

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Saw this in my Nordstrom catalog and based upon the notes went in the next day to try. This is everythin I wanted it to be. Loved it at first spray and the lasting power is better than other fragrances from Bvlgari that I have owned in the past. Was sold on buying the Big bottle after just one spray. Nice warm and sexy fragrance. My husband loves the tonka bean in it while I enjoy the gardenia note. Would rank this right up w/ my HG's (Flowerbomb, Narciso Rodriguez, and Tom Ford).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2008 10:54:00 AM More reviews by mumsays242

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I felt like I hit the lottery when I was able to try this! I have tried and tried to like Bvlgari, but most of their products are just not 'me' enough to wear. I was hoping the Jasmine Noir would find a place in my collection, and I was not disappointed.

The opening is - as mentioned on their PR - green sap. This is a note I'm not particularly fond of, and it is quite pronounced. (As an aside, isn't it interesting how the notes you least like are the easiest to pick out, and the ones you love tend to be so elusive?!) Fortunately for me, the green sap dries down considerably, and becomes tame enough to be wearable as the jasmine and woods come into focus.

The gardenia is quite subtle; most gardenias smell waxy on me anyway - and the jasmine is perfect, perfect, perfect. The woods and almond are well balanced and the licorice is just the barest hint. It's not Lolita-ish at all.

I really like the drydown; it's almost a skin scent. It's a toss-up for me between the Jasmine Noir and EL's new Sensuous. I really like both and smell some similarities in the dry down.

I think this is Bvlgari's finest perfume. Definitely will buy when it launches.

Edited to add....... the licorice is prominent in the top note, and then settles back to a whisper. It's the combination of green sap and licorice that startles me, but the warmth of the woodsy dry down continually reminds me of EL's Sensuous.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No