April 19, 2014 | 1833 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2009 1:34:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

I bought this also as a cheap version of the beauty blender and as w/ the reviewer below, I didn't know if this specific one is supposed to grow when ran under water, which it didn't. But I thought that this might not be the exact same thing so it doesn't grown b/c its not meant to. But even so, it didn't work too well and didn't give me that perfect air brushed look that I have seen on youtube w/ others demoing the beauty blender. I have never owned one myself. This one kind of just works like a regular sponge and if you look far away, it will look air-brushed but close up its blotchy and not spread well it definitely leaves edge marks and doesn't blend right...I ended up just using my fingers or even just a regular old sponge worked better. Also, when I washed it a couple of times the surface was already getting worn and looked like it will wear away if I keep washing it...I can't compare it to the beauty blender but just as a sponge, it sucked.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2009 1:20:00 AM More reviews by paularalways

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i have bought 4 of these sponges because there were so many reviews saying this is an inexpensive version of the beauty blender. my first blending sponge purchase was great. It was the blue peep i ran it under the sink and like the Beautyblender it expanded to a larger size became more soft, less dense and perfect for the airbrushed look. I thought this is amazing this is exactly like the beautyblender so I bought another for a backup. I wet that one, NOTHING HAPPENED. It did not grow, it did not soften up at all it stayed small and dense WHICH WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE SAME AIRBRUSHED LOOK. So many people are using these and not running them under the sink to see if theirs grow or not. IF IT DOESN'T GROW, RETURN IT. YOURS IS A DUD. I returned the dud bought another, same problem, returned, bought another, same thing AGAIN. I have since given up and am just going to enjoy my expanding blue peep while its still good but will go back to using the beautyblender. when your sponge grows under water it will soak up so much less product so you wont have as much waste, using a non expanding dry sponge you might as well take a balled up paper towel and apply your foundation. most people reviewing the blending sponge have never owned a beautyblender or any rounded sponge to know the difference. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. maybe I got a bunch of duds or the lone sponge that worked was in fact the dud but either way this is a no go and you might as well sport the extra cash to get the real deal and really experience what rounded blending sponges are suppose to be like

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2009 4:48:00 PM More reviews by lboogy

Just picked mine up from Target a couple days ago. I've been holding out to purchase the beautyblender because I hear its amazing This sponge has helped me transition to liquid foundation. I always felt like liquid was too heavy for my skin but this sponge works wonders for blending. Only problem I'm having is the cleaning process. I've used 1/4 bottle of the mac brush cleaner and that did nothing so i found an old travel sized bottle of baby shampoo. It seems to work but I like my brushes/sponges squeaky clean so I bit the bullet and purchased the beautyblender kit at drugstore.com which includes the sponge cleanser which is supposedly an awesome cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by summersucks

So, I have never used the original beauty blender sponge, so I can't compare this to that.

But as a makeup sponge in general, it is WONDERFUL! I prefer to use it for powder foundation, as like other reviewers have mentioned, it can soak up liquid fairly easily. The difference between applying my powder fdn with the sponge it came with vs this one is pretty remarkable. I have no idea why, but if I dampen this sponge, and swipe along my powder, and dab on the areas that need it, the end result is so smooth I look almost airbrushed. You know, for the first twenty minutes or so before I start touching my face and it all comes off. Not the fault of the sponge, obviously.

It's started to sort of come apart at the tip, but I've had it for many months and use it often, so I still think it's worth the $10. I will most definitely repurchase once this dies.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 1:18:00 AM More reviews by MeggaLee425

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This blending sponge has definitely made my transition into liquid foundation smooth. I have been wearing mineral makeup for years and recently switched to revlon colorstay since the minerals were drying me out, and I needed a little extra coverage. I heard a lot of good things about this blending sponge on mua and have to say I am impressed. I dont have to use a ton of foundation to get the nice even coverage I was looking for. I first pour about a nickel size amount of foundation on a CD, (only flat, portable surface I could find) run the sponge under warm water, wring it out, dab it into the foundation and pat all over my face. It seriously only takes me a minute to apply. The pointy end is great for under eyes and corners of the nose. The only problem I have is when I wash it, I can't get all foundation to come off the sponge. Not sure if it's like that for everyone or if it's because I used the colorstay foundation that refuses to budge. But overall great buy.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2009 4:25:00 PM More reviews by SkinnyCow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This sponge does soak up a lot of foundation. What I have done to combat that is dab the foundation on my face FIRST then use this sponge to stipple / blend out. Its fine like that, and I feel if you use it slightly damp, it also picks up less product.

The results of this sponge are phenomenal. It does give an amazing finish that I have not found with another sponge / brush / fingers.

BUT - this thing started crumbling on me by the 2nd use. I don't even use it every day. I don't wear make up all the time. It is also impossible ( so far ) to get all the foundation out of it when you clean it. I have just kind of given up on that part of it, its not such a big deal, the crumbling part is a big deal. Soaking up a ton of foundation is a big deal also.

I wonder how beauty blender and the sephora version of this compare ? IDK. The price is right at $10 - I think I most likely will consider a repurchase as I would be dissatisfied with anything else not giving the finish that this does.

** please note what other posters say on 'bouncing' this on your face, like stippling.. its the best way to use this and get the best coverage / finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2009 4:16:00 PM More reviews by earthtochristina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first, I was extremely skeptical about this sponge. It feels almost rubbery, not smooth likes the little wedges I used to use. I was kind of disappointed when I first used it, but after watching a few videos on Youtube, I gave it another shot. My foundation looked amazing! The trick is you need to sort of bounce it against your face. The flat end of the sponge is great for putting foundation on your cheeks/forehead, and the pointed end is perfect for under your eyes and around your nose.
A while ago I decided to try the Ulta Professional Highlighter brush, supposedly an amazing Mac 187 dupe, and I used it only 3 times before running back to this sponge. For only $10, these are fabulous and make applying make up so easy. I'm already on my 4th sponge and I don't plan on ever going back to applying my foundation with a brush or wedge.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 3:50:00 PM More reviews by beebop808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Seems as if I lucked out on this one, although it works great for others, just not for me. I've had mines for 3 months now and still doesn't do anything grand for my expectations. I needed to use a "ton" of liquid foundation(s) in order to achieve a descent amount of coverage and still it did nothing to hide any imperfects I may have had. Needless to say, after just a few washes (tried everything I had, including my MAC cleanser) it still wouldn't rid the foundation/concealer off my sponge...which means, it started to crumble :( That being said, it made be break out so bad!!! Sadly, I would not purchase this again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2009 3:13:00 PM More reviews by anabolina

I guess I'm a believer now. I've had this for about a month now and use it to apply liquid and mineral foundations. I've tried the smalller end with concealer, but it lifts too much of the product for that. I've just discovered it is a great mineral makeup applicator. I accidentally left my EDM flat top at a friend's house and used this until I got a chance to go back for it. It applies both powder and liquid foundations smoothly. I've used it stippling and smoothing and both methods work really well. It seems really durable, so I don't know when I'll need to buy another one, but I will.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2009 3:13:00 AM More reviews by nattyngeorge

You are suppose to run the sponge under water, then squeeze the excess water out and then squeeze dry it in a towel. Then the way you are suppose to apply this is in a stippling motion, just like you would with a skunk brush (duo fibre brush ex: MAC 187). So, I put a dollop of foundation in my palm and did just that. I lightly dabbed the sponge and stippled it on my face. I noticed that I had to go back and put more foundation in my palm a couple times, which i never have to do. Meaning, it was eating up my foundation. It did put my makeup on evenly, but it did not cover well. It put my makeup very thinly on my face and I could still see redness through my makeup, which would never happen when applying with my foundation brush. Another thing was this thing reaked of fresh rubber. The smell actually gave me a headache and made my hands smell like rubber. I've washed it quite a few times but the smell is still a little bit present. What I did like was that the sponge comes to a cone shape at the top, so it is very easy to get to areas around your eyes and around your nose, which is difficult with a brush. Also I liked that you are really in control of how much is going on your face. Sometimes when I use my brush, too much foundation will sit in some of my fine lines.. like my laugh lines on the sides of my lips, but with the blending sponge it applies the makeup on so thin that it doesn't happen.

I think this could possibly work very well with a creme foundation such as MAC Full Coverage Foundation, RCMA, Cinema Secrets or Ben Nye Foundations.. But it didn't work well with my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation or MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I will not be using this to apply a full face of foundation, I will only be using it for touch ups.. which it works very well for that.

A lot of people love this, so don't let my opinion change your mind. It has worked great for many people. Just not for me. :(