August 21, 2014 | 2114 users online

Bronzers - TheBalm - Bahama Mama

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by CrosseyedToad

I recently started using TheBALM products and cannot understand why this brand isn't more hyped up. I've loved everything I've tried. I had quit contouring and using bronzers but this I thought may work better for me and look more natural
As I've found this brand blends amazingly on everything I've tried. I was right. At last I can contour again because even if I use too much it blends down amazingly. I'm pale, nw20 and I have a ton of trouble with bronzers and contours pulling orange but not this one. My new HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by randers

This is a fantastic bronzer for contouring. It is very pigmented so you must adjust to that, but it blends very well so I consider it a good thing.

I like that it has no hint of shimmer to it; I can use it for a "no makeup" makeup look if I want. I personally would rather leave the shimmer to the highlighters and blushes. It does have yellow undertones, but looks great on my cool toned, NC20 skin, so I imagine the shade would look great on most skin tones.

I received this product as part of the Big Mama trio (Bahama Mama, Sexy Mama and Hot Mama) for only $13 at TJ Maxx. I don't know if I would purchase it full price, but there are a million individuals on eBay for around $10, and I would re purchase for that price.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2011 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Sippinonkrystyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the perfect bronzer for my medium skin tone. It really does make me look like I have a tan unlike other bronzers which look orange. It's also great for contouring cause it doesn't have any red/orange undertones. It's quite pigmented and can be muddy if u don't apply it correctly. I like to build the color a little at a time since its easier then trying to tone it down. Those with fair skin might want to skip this but Overall, it's a great bronzer for those with medium skin and darker.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2011 3:35:00 PM More reviews by LolaMay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this bronzer. I bought it at TJMaxx for half price :)
PROS
**Very pigmented
**Nice brown bronzer instead of orangey
**Adorable packaging!

CONS
**A bit pricey

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2011 9:25:00 AM More reviews by manderz86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I hadn't tried out any products by The Balm so in my curiosity I picked up the "Big Mama" palette which includes Bahama Mama, Hot mama blush & Sexy Mama translucent powder. I honestly did not expect to love it as much as I do! I've been searching for a contour powder that doesn't come up too red/orange/ashy/just downright dirty looking on my NC40-42 skin & Bahama Mama is absolutely perfect. I think someone else mentioned, it's like Nars laguna without the shimmer. I don't care much for the packaging, I do wish it came in something more sleek, but I guess that's personal preference.... the cardboard IS quite sturdy & a magnet keeps it all securely together. It's very pigmented but I will say, it's a little powdery, but after such a long frustrating search for the perfect contour product, I can deal. I use a tiny bit at a time, tapping the excess off my brush & building slowly. Will repurchase again & again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by aychan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wish there was a maybe on the "Would you repurchase" question.

Pros: Extremely pigmented, a little goes too long of a way, doesn't have a red, muddy undertone

Cons: Too pigmented, too much of a dark brown (pretty much just a dark brown eyeshadow), stained my MAC countouring brush

I've always used cheap drugstore bronzers since I thought they would all look the same anyway. However, I've always felt that they weren't pigmented enough, and I end up spending 5 minutes just putting the bronzer on. I did my research on MUA, and was debating between Hoola and Laguna. Laguna seemed like a god choice until I found out that it actually contains a little bit of shimmer. My skin is "shimmery" enough without shimmery makeup, so no thank you. Hoola didn't seem to have extremely good ratings either, plus from what I remember it looks kinda like the NYC bronzer. Then I came across ratings for BahamaMama and thought, hey why not, let's give this a shot. I believe it might even be cheaper than Hoola.

Anyway, it's extremely pigmented which I love, so at one swipe it's already done its job on contouring my face. If I decide to go for a little more, and add one more swipe, BAM I end up looking dirty. So yeah, a bit mixed feelings, maybe I just need to control my hand and stop going for that second swipe.

Also, I'm pretty choked that my brush got stained. Anyone else run into the same problem?

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by loiseva1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I am just getting into The Balm products and I love this product, it is the perfect contour shade, its has no shimmer at all (which i like) and it is a true brown, has no pink or orange undertones, the only thing i will say is it can look a little muddy/dirty f you don't blend it enough or if you use to much, it is very pigmented so i advise a light hand at first and simply build it up if need be (much easier to add more if you want it than to take off if you apply to much!) .. i love the packaging (i have Bahama mama bronzer and the Sexy mama finishing/setting powder) and they are both just too damn cute, the little case closes with a magnet so it wont flip open and go everywhere in your bag! and it has a cardboard sleeve that it slips inside of also. great product and i think a reasonable price, love it and would repurchase. For reference i am NC30 and this a perfect shade on my skin tone, maybe 2-3 shades darker than my skin which is great for a contour shade :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Pinksparkling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For me this wasn't very good. I am a MAC NC30 in foundation but i use F&B in C4 which is perfect for me.

I bought this product full price online, because you dont seem to be able to get it in stores here in the UK, after reading rave reveiws about it but unfortunately it wasnt for me.

It is really powdery and i dont see any shimmer - its just matt. It is a nice colour but i found put on top of my foundation it went cakey and soaked into parts of my skin and not others and i looked rather patchy in places after a while. I also think that it makes you look rather dirty - its not so much of a tan look as a diry look.

Its a shame because it seems to be a really great product for others.

On the upside I have just bought NARS Casino bronzer so hopfully that is going to be much better!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by dollirium

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you are in the market for a matte bronzer, this the one. Very pigmented and non-oxidizing, it wears well in the outdoors. Very, very natural looking-apply lightly and with a good angled or full powder brush then build from there, It is not a product you can just swipe on and go. Excellent for contouring and reminds me more of a professional product. The magnetic cardboard does not bother me, though I think this has a tendancy to chip and if it does, it gets everywhere. I could not care less about the rockabilly graphics on the case. TheBalm is wasting their wonderful pigmented products on the washed-up benefit-style retro packaging. Anyone that dislikes Benefit, as I, may not want to purchase this not knowing about the quality. I would be missing out! Their highlighter is super good too.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was another FREEBIE from TheBalm (it seems in Canada, they're pretty much giving some of the stuff away! I got a Down Boy blush free with my previous purchase).

I'll admit I have "issues" with bronzers. I'm pretty fair skinned and don't go for a tanned look at all in summer (except on my legs) but I figured I could use Bahama Mama as a contour colour. It's a very matte product and it is, as others have said, not only lacking in glitter but also in that hideous orange Oompa Loompa effect, so this makes it terrific as a contouring shade. But to my surprise, when dusted lightly all over my face or on the areas that the sun would hit naturally, it really gives a nice, natural hit of LIGHT colour to my face - like a real light tan. This can also be used as an eye shadow and I tried it the other day, with a very "bare look" - using a skin toned shadow all over my lid and this as a crease contour (the way I would usually use MAC's Wedge or Omega) and the result was great.

I LOVE the thin, non-bulky packaging of TheBalm's powder products AND the fact that even these super-slim compacts contain reasonably sized mirrors - they are easy to store and don't take up a ton of room in your bag or when you travel. But I am just not a fan of cardboard. My makeup application area is in my tiny ensuite bathroom and the counter is invariably wet from my face washing so I am always concerned that these cardboard packages may suffer from ongoing contact with a wet counter-top.

I can't really see myself using this up any time soon and bronzers, per se, are not a big part of my makeup routine but given the value of this product (had I paid for it) vs similar hugely popular products like Nars Laguna, Benefit Hoola and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, I would certainly rank this as "re-purchase worthy".