OPI Black Cherry Chutney

4.3

My husband and I were wandering around the mall, and I asked him if I could make a quick trip to Trade Secret to check out polishes -- I had been on an OPI bent lately and I was curious to see what was left. While wandering around my husband spotted a set of minis from the India collection marked 30% off, and pointed them out to me. I had money to burn, so I said what the heck and bought it.
I was already familiar with India Mood For Love (which I adore, by the way), so I thought I would try out Black Cherry Chutney. I've always been a fan of uber-vampy and out there colors, so I gave this a whirl.
Under subdued light, it could easily be mistaken for a black, but it has that nice red undertone with that yummy red shimmer -- like the hue of rich deep red velvet. It took about two coats to get the bottle color, but it was well worth the wait for the first coat. Hopefully OPI will have the good sense to hang on to this color.

on 8/11/2008 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This uber-dark burgundy/cherry-color looks great on my nails. I saw an episode of Tori and Dean in which Tori had on a similar color. I loved the look of it, so I thought this appeared similar and bought it. I like the shininess of this color but not the streaky nature of the first coat. A second coat was an absolute must. I agree with a previous poster, this has a wider ProWide brush than most PW brushes I've ever seen. It was a bit of a challenge to use at first, but I got the hang of it quickly. I don't really see any of the shimmer that is evident when looking at the bottle. You really have to be out in the sun to see it even slightly. Overall, it's pretty and I see it as an any-season color for me. If you're not into black or dark navy polish, this is a good alternative as it looks almost black from afar.

on 8/6/2008 9:58:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This polish is so dark reddy-plum it's almost black. In all but direct light it's indistinguishable from black, especially against my pale skin.

I like this color a lot, but HATE how huge the brush is. OPI went a little overboard with the pro-wide on this one. I get this all over my hand every time I use this color. The formula is a bit blah, but I can't tell if that's the actual formula, or there's just too much going on due to the brush.

Since the brush is such a PITA, I'd recommend getting a different polish. This is a color I've seen fairly close dupes of elsewhere. I would recommend the almost black plum color in general though! :)

on 7/28/2008 9:30:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

this color is ok but not my fav. wouldnt pay full price for it. its an average dark purple

on 7/22/2008 2:43:00 AM

What a bust. For reference, I'm warm, tan, MMM, brown hair, brown eyes, and I have now tried this as a pedi 3 times and I still dislike it. It is really unremarkable IMO. It applies SO gloppy, and I love the Pro Wide brushes, but the formula just made a mess. Some nails were good with 2 coats, some I lost count! It dries super shiny, but really, it's just dark. I see no shimmer, no flash of anything exciting or unique. I have loved a lot of the India Collection, but not this one unfortunately. Edited to add update - I reluctantly thinned the daylights out of this to give it another try. I didn't want to thin it, I shouldn't have had to, it was new, but I did it in hopes of finally liking this. So I thinned it, it applied beautifully, I went out in the sunlight, and WOW what a gorgeous polish, even my daughter agreed. So if you're willing to thin it in order to use/like it, it's worth it. I'm still irritated I had to do it, but it's gorgeous.

on 6/23/2008 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love dark colour polishes, so when I choose this one that say blackened red, it was what the description say. It's black with a little reddish in it. I have used it for 3 days, and still in great condition, just a little chips, because of my bad habit. I'll buy again if I run out.

on 6/18/2008 2:26:00 AM

SOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried this color for the first time today because my nails were starting to chip...and they just weren't looking pretty. I put on the first coat, and hated how it was so chunky and streaky. I was so close to taking it off and putting on a different color. I stuck to it and put on a 2nd layer. Still didn't like it. I put on a 3rd layer, and it was finally even. The color looked mediocre indoors. It was your typical dark burgandy...almost black. I decided to sit out in the sun an hour later, and was in shock! Outdoors, the color was BEAUTIFUL! It was like a very shimmery dark purpleish color. Ugh, I could not stop staring at my nails.

on 6/12/2008 5:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Today the lady giving me a trial with some M.A.C. products said my nail polish looked really good. She asked me if it was "some colour" from OPI as she has seen a lot of girls wearing it (can't rem what colour she said but its not this one.) She said she loved how my tips were not chipped.

I told her that I painted it 5 days ago! She gasped and examined my nails and sure enough you can see the little bit of regrowth. If you look close up, there are chips of my most used fingers but only very slightly (I have an office job so I use the keyboard quite a lot.)

I used Cutex (2in1 base coat) and then 2 layers of OPI and gave a generous time for each layer to dry. I then coated another layer of Cutex 2in1 on top of it all (trying to use it all up before I buy Nail Envy.)

I am unable to use neon/light colours as I have eczema on 2 of my nails. So I am kinda stuck to very dark colours. I asked my mother to purchase a dark purple colour for me overseas so I did not intentionally choose this colour. I love how this colour was black but not too black. Sort of makes you look twice to grasp the colour. Sort of makes you think that the person who wears it has something more than what meets the eye (lol at least thats how I feel about it when I keep looking at my hands.)

Black cherry chutney is described as a 'deliciously dark black -red' on the OPI website, but i dont think it was described accurately. i would describe it more as a deep plum, almost black. In fact, i think it is very similar to Lincoln park after dark, in my opinion. In the bottle it shows quite a bit of shimmer, but on my nails i see no shimmer, just a vinyl-like shine. (which i like) i like this color a lot, i took off points because after only 2 days it has started to chip, but only on the tips

I have the mini-size of this and application was a complete PITA. The only way I could get it non-streaky was to glob the 2nd coat on very thick. The shimmer is not really visible except in direct sunlight, but when you can see it its gorgeous! However, it's a little too close to black IMO, I'm not really big on the look of black polish but you could mistake this for black depending on the lighting.

Overall I like it but I wish the shimmer was more apparent, the application was better, and it was not as close to black. I won't buy it again because I never run out of nail polish and if I use it all I will probably be bored of the color :)

Popular Polishes