TheBalm Sexy Mama

4.3

mica, boron nitride, polyethylene (and) PTFE, zea mays (Corn) starch, silica, isoeicosane, zinc stearate, styrene/DVB copolymer, polyisobutene, dimethylimidinone rice starch, iron oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, gossypium herbaceum (Cotton) powder, sodium dehydroacetate, dimethicone.

on 4/16/2009 5:01:00 AM

This was a rec from another MUA'er & im very glad i tried it! My skin = dry/SD prone, so i always wear a rich SS & a liquid foundation which is a lot for a powder to keep semi-matte (which is what i want).I wear MAC's F&B foundation a lot too which is on the shiny side.Enter TheBalms Sexy Mama....i got this half price (10) here in Ireland so its usually about 20-22.It comes in a small cardboard compact....sounds awful but its not as it has a gorgeous pin-up picture on the front & a little cardboard sheath to protect it/keep it from opening (it also has a magnetic closure). Previous to this i had used MAC's Blot Powder in Light - i am *very* pale & like it that way.Any hint of colour in a powder will show up on my face & make me look orangey so i am always wary of powders that claim to be "translucent" as they rarely are on my skin, but Sexy Mama is just that - its like applying a veil of matte-ness over my MU...and it stays put for the day! Little if no touch-ups required!

I was a bit sad about the packaging - as i always enjoyed having my MAC compact with me...but my powder doesnt last for ever so the packaging that holds its doesnt need to.As the SexyMama compact is cardboard it is biodegradable & the little mirror can always be taken out and used in a purse etc. (its not great in the compact as it gets murky from the powder...but i always take my own mirror with me anyway).I apply this with my Bourjois Kabuki brush (there is no applicator with this powder) - i also got the mini TheBalm Kabuki brush which is great for putting into your makeup bag & its great for use around the nose an area where bigger brushes falter.

All in all a fantastic product.I will repurchase.

on 4/13/2009 2:49:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I would buy this product again if I can finish mine. Ive been using this 3 months but it still seems new and unused. This product totally gives a matte look and you dont even need any touch ups during a day. I also adore its cute packaging and I9 USD is a reasonable price too. This translucent sets your powder for hours and hours. I am thinking to own hot mama blush too.

on 1/27/2009 4:39:00 PM

I like this more than my MAC select sheer powder because it is less powdery & does not change colour. Never looks cakey or powdery, never changes colour & it is very sheer but still provides some coverage. My only complaint is the lame mirror that comes w/it, but the packaging is cute!

on 1/26/2009 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I love translucent powders as I really hate ones that add color to my face - it just usually ends up looking strange over any foundation or concealer I may have on. I decided to try this one out based on the great reviews. The packaging is just adorable and I don't mind the fact that it is cardboard (although something more sturdy may look better, as the ends of the cardboard box may get a bit dog-eared after a while). It is a nice, fine, translucent powder that works very well to set make-up as well as touch up any shinies I may get throughout the day. It doesn't add any color nor does it look cakey (although I don't use a ton, if you put alot of anything on it will get cakey). Doesn't make me look ghosty or settle into any fine lines. One gripe is that it doesn't come with a sponge or anything, but I use my own anyway. It does have a nice-sized mirror though. Great product and I will repurchase.

It fits the bill for a pressed powder that *actually* keeps you from going oily over the course of a day. Cute built in mirror, great cover art, but points lost for being just cardboard.

on 9/14/2008 1:35:00 PM

Very cute packaging, but it is cardboard nonetheless. Nice non-irritating powder, but I think it's just too drying for my combination skin. I use a very very light layer to even my skintone and it keeps me from getting all shiny for a good couple of hours, but of course it loses the battle as soon as things really heat up. Also, I do think it's settling in my lines just a bit. So yeah, not my fave, but not bad either. UPDATE 04/29/09: Powdery yet not good at absorbing oil. I don't get the hype, but then again, I have combo skin.

on 5/19/2008 5:41:00 PM

This is a serviceable little translucent powder. I got this because I usually use loose powders, but needed a pressed powder for traveling. I use it to set my makeup, and it does everything I want it to do; doesn't cake up or clog my pores, stays true to the color of my foundation, applies smoothly and gives a nice finish (although my face will start to shine midway through the day, but I don't expect any powder to change that). The packaging is very cute, and I love that it is cardboard; in my experience cardboard travels better (things seem prone to shattering in plastic) and it's so much better for the environment. Unfortunately the packaging is my biggest draw to this, because although this powder does everything I want it to do, so do cheaper products like Fyrinnae or Paladio finishing powder; however, neither of these travel well and I have yet to find a cheaper pressed powder that is as good as TheBalm's.

on 5/19/2008 12:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love this!!!! I only wish it came with a poof to apply it with. Adorable, very durable packaging. Is truly a transparent powder....I can apply this many times throughout the day and it just takes away shine without messing up my other makeup. I also use this with a pouf to set my makeup (currently into TheBalm tinted Moisturizer and clinique concealer) and it looks flawless! This powder can be used for soooo many things. Never ever breaks me out, even when I sleep in it. Makes my pores disappear, and takes away shine without making me feel dry. does not cake at all, even if you apply it to wet moisturizer or foundation. Smooth as silk. evens my skin tone and makes me look way more awake and polished. It looks like a small package, but it lasts forever. I use twice a day (once to set my makeup, once to touch up before dinner) and I have had it for months....not even a dent in it yet. Love!!!!!!!!!

How can you resist the cute packaging?? I know I couldn't!
That's not the importance of this product, though.
I bought this on a whim-- I was running low on my usual Dior powder foundation, but had bought a boatload of mineral foundation. I figured I better use that up, before I commit to spending a small chunk on more Dior.
I bought this one because it was the most inexpensive translucent (aside the Sephora brand, which I dislike). I've found that even with mineral makeup, I have a need for a translucent powder to touch up any shiny spots.
I feel like I hit the jackpot with this one. This is undoubtedly THE best translucent pressed powder I've ever used. It's truly translucent, and despite it's small-ish size, I know it's going to last me a while. I only need to use this once per day to de-shine and even out my already existing makeup.
No dodgy talcs or starches in this one... if I'm not mistaken, it contains cotton powder, which is completely safe and very absorbent.

Back to the packaging-- the mirror is a bit dodgy-- looks a bit distorted, and the coated cardboard compact may not be appealing to most. I like it because it's lightweight. I travel quite often and it's amazing how heavy one's handbag can become! The compact closes magnetically, and also has a coated heavy-stock paper sheath that it fits snugly inside.

I hope this product is NEVER discontinued. I am in love with it! It really delivers, and the size is definitely purse-friendly. Just make sure you have a spare pouf or retractable brush to carry along with you, as it comes with neither of these.

on 4/8/2008 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have hot mama, and thought I would try out sexy mama too.
I have a pressed powder that I adore (Tarte, Pressed), so I didn't expect much. But, when I tried it on, I realized it serves a completely different purpose. It's translucent and soaks up any shine in an instant. I still use my Tarte powder, daily in fact, on top of my TM, but I will keep Sexy Mama in my purse for when I get shiny. Love it.

Recommended for Normal Skin