Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 8/20/2013 11:53:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've had light thin brows my entire life that I never paid attention to save for the occasional tweezing, but about a few months ago I realized that they weren't that great and went to get them professionally waxed. There was only so much that the lady who waxed them could do because they are really straight across and very light, so even though she waxed all the strays it made little difference in how it looked. In my quest to find something that would help I was recommended castor oil. I've only been using it for a week so far, so once I've been using it longer I'll update, but my initial reaction is that it's ok. It's made out like it's this miracle oil in the reviews, and I'm just not seeing that. It's early days though. I think the most difference it's made is in my eyelashes, because I put some on my lashes at night when I put it on my brows. My eyelashes were already pretty long, but now when I curl them and put mascara on they almost reach my eyebrows.

on 8/16/2013 9:47:00 PM

I use NOW brand castor oil and I will buy it again and again and again. I have not (nor will I) bought the stuff they sell near the laxatives. I stick with the pure kind. Still dirt cheap (I think I paid $6-8 for a big bottle).

Excellent results:
Eyebrows - my eyebrows have been thin on the outer 1/3 for years. It began with a hormonal imbalance and they just never grew back. Eyebrow pencil and I are likethis. Enter castor oil. I don't have luscious, thick, perfect brows.......but it's made a remarkable difference. I could even skip the pencil (I don't, but I could and that's the important part).

Hands - I stumbled on this one. I use lotion a TON and figured my hands were well moisturized. I was clearly wrong. I started using castor oil on my hands at night. Yes, it's thick, but it's not hard to spread. And the changes in my hands have been big. They look....and I kid you not......at least 5-10 years younger. Young, smooth, supple looking. My cuticles are healthy and soft. It's very impressive.

Good results:
Eyelashes - I don't notice new growth really. But what has happened is that I lose fewer lashes which has helped then get slightly thicker since they stay around longer. I HAVE noticed growth, which has been fun to witness. I've been using it nightly (I put one small drop on my finger and use that both for my lash line and my eyebrows) for about 6-8 weeks. I would guess I saw growth around week 3.

Under eyes - I read several articles about using castor oil under eyes and its ability to reduce under eye circles. I have used it and yes, my eyes DID look good the next day. But I am too leery of how thick it is to continue. It just seems like it would be too much for such delicate skin. Perhaps I'll mix it with something, but I have other undereye products I like better that aren't as heavy.

No results:
Scalp - I did try this on my scalp to try and help with thin spots (mostly in my bangs and along part.....I know, it's awesome). I ended up giving up after about 4 weeks. I just could not stand the heaviness of the oil on my scalp and roots of my hair. I did not notice any growth.

I love this stuff. LOVE it.

on 8/13/2013 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This truly did fill in a gap in one of my eyebrows that I'd had for 5+ years.

In the past I've been guilty of over-tweezing my brows. For the past couple years I have been wearing my eyebrows fuller, but one area on my left eyebrow never grew back. It looked like I had a piercing scar.

I've been applying castor oil to my eyebrows, focusing on that one area in particular, and after one month the gap has grown in. I no longer have a gap! Also, my eyebrows are thicker in general now, and slightly darker. I had very blonde brows so darker brows is definitely a plus for me.

I now have strong, shapely eyebrows. I don't have to use a brow liner anymore!

I highly recommend this, it's dirt cheap, and despite having acne-prone skin, it didn't break me out. I was very careful when applying it though, limiting it to the eyebrow area and not on the forehead or eyelids.

on 8/12/2013 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This has really helped my dry hair, particularly the tips of my hair but before I get into that Ill state a few points about my self and products I've use. First off, I'm middle eastern with medium to thin hair strands/type and am on a mission to grow my hair long. Since January 2013 I've been religiously taking 1 vitamin pill, biotin, 2 omega 3 pills daily (side note : this also gave life to my skin; glow). I have also been eating healthier. Both these factors have enhanced the healthiness of my hair and assisted with growth. But what held me back from growth was constant splitting and breakage of hair due to dryness. I was perplexed to why I was having this problem even after I regularly applied almond and coconut oil. Oddly enough, I noticed that my hair was more dry on days I used these products, therefore, I discontinued and switched to my new found glory- castor oil. I dampen my hair with water then apply this oil on the tips of my hair daily ( I hardly go out nowadays) or all over it and voila, my hair is moisturized and softer than ever (mA). I also do a hot oil treatment with CO once a week( it's messy to wash out but so worth it). Also, this slightly made my eyelashes grow. BE PATIENT AND CONSISTENT!

on 8/10/2013 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Castor Oil really works! I was using eyelash serums for a couple of years from different brands. Some expensive some not so much. Eyelash serums do work, it made my short, poker straight Asian lashes, very long, it touched my brow bone after I curl and apply mascara. I was awesome, looked like I was wearing false lashes. Then I ran out of my favorite lash serum which was Maximum Lash and its discontinued :(. And my lashes looked so horrible after I ran out of the serum. I lost the length & volume, I was so sad.
So I was looking for a cheaper alternative and I found Castor Oil here on Makeupalley and all the positive reviews. I thought, it's worth a try its cheap enough. I got mine from Walmart of $3.00 for a 6oz bottle, which is huge compared to the lash serums I was buying before.
I started applying CO in my brows and lashes every night for 3 weeks now. I have an empty mascara bottle that I cleaned out very well and fill it with CO. I use a Qtip to clean up excess. My brows are now filling in, I am seeing new growth. And my lashes is now fuller and growing longer. I have more hair on my bottom lashes now too. I'm so happy with the results and I will be using this non-stop until I'm too old to even care about my lashes LOL. I will update in a couple of months.

on 8/4/2013 5:46:00 PM

Castor oil is AMAZING! After one week I saw dramatic growth in my once sparse eyebrows. And I haven't even tried the organic version yet! After visiting my threading lady and complaining of my poor eyebrows she suggested buying castor oil and brushing it on at bedtime in the opposite direction of the hair growth. After ONE week I have eyebrow hair growing in places I didn't even know they could grow! I'm talking years of blank patches filling in! I also brush my eyelashes and lash line with a q-tip dipped in castor oil and on the seventh day of doing this I have the tiniest baby hairs sprouting up a little above my lashline! After I bought the castor oil I researched its purposes and began using it 50/50 with coconut oil as a oil cleansing method. I have terribly sensitive skin that dries out to almost everything and is oily the majority of the time, especially my T-zone. Every night I dabbed a small amount in my fingertips, warmed it up with them and massaged my face for about 5 minutes. Then place a really warm wash cloth over my face until it reaches room temperature and repeat the process 5 or so times. Immediately I notice small particles being purged out of my pores! After the 5 or so cycles I wipe the remaining oil off with the wash cloth. My skin has started to become super smooth and many of my oversized pores are closing up. This is after one week people. It's like I can feel my skin saying thank you! I don't feel the need to use primer and bronzer/foundation because my skins been feeling so great this past week I don't even feel the need to cover it! And I don't want to put more garbage on it anymore - my face and I are beginning a new relationship!! And me and my skin have had a rough life! I can't believe I went my entire teenage and early twenties without knowledge of this lol! Overall I'm totally in love castor oil is such a beautiful home remedy and I recommend it to everyone. It works best when warmed, and as a hair mask on hair that is damp.

on 7/26/2013 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

(July/25/2013): I've heard so many uses for castor oil. From a liver detox when ingested or as a natural eyebrow growth product, this product has so much hype surrounding it! I've decided to try it out after 10 years of over plucking! Today, I applied it with a q-tip on the sparse areas of my brows which are the inner and outer. I'll be updating this post in a week's time :) wish me luck!

EDIT: (Aug/06/2013): It's been a little over a week and a half and surprisingly, there's been PROGRESS! Although, the eyebrows aren't back to normal yet, I can honestly say that it does what it's supposed to do, which is grow back eyebrows on places that once had some! I will be updating in another week!

on 6/22/2013 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I've read how castor oil is used for oil cleansing for the face so I decided to use it for my scalp. I mixed it with a little sunflower oil (1 tablespoon sunflower oil to 1/2 cup of castor oil) make it thinner and not sticky. Then I massaged my scalp with just a little on my fingers. I rinsed my hair with warm water and conditioned my hair from roots to tip. The conditioner removed any leftover castor oil that the warm water didn't get and my scalp felt as clean as if I used shampoo, but unlike shampoo my hair wasn't stripped or dry. I tried washing my scalp with conditioner only but it's excessively oily and conditioner won't get it clean enough. If I let the oil build up I get a very itchy scalp and cystic acne on my scalp and face where my hair touched it so getting rid of the oil is a must. So now I have hopes for going "no-poo" cheaply without doing the whole baking soda thing (baking soda irritated my scalp). I wash with conditioner every day but do the castor oil scalp cleanse every other day. Now from reading the other reviews I'm going to try it on my lashes too.

on 6/14/2013 1:31:00 PM

I don't know if it's only me, but I always end up with messed up brows. I promise, I will never ever trust trust aestheticians, they've made more damage than good. Ruined, overplucked, asymmetrical eyebrows, anyone?
So, yes, castor oil is my best friend. It makes brows/lashes grow faster, and thicker.

I have it on now, trying to grow my brows back. Again. It's good to know that I only have to wait a few weeks to have normal eyebrows.

on 6/11/2013 1:43:00 AM

I used castor oil just for the heck of it. I wasn't really seriously expecting anything out of it. Since i was trying to save money from expensive but effective latisse, i googled around for a cheap alternative.

Castor oil came up. So i tried it. I used a cheap elf eyeliner to place the oil on my lids. Kept using it and just never thought much about it. But voila! A month later my eyelashes were thicker and longer. I was like holy moly! This stuff really works!

Im so happy this was effective! Now i dont have to shell out too much moolah for eyelash maintenance. A bottle of castor oil would practically last for ages! Loveeeet!

Popular Brows Products