MAC Face and Body Foundation

Water, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, PVP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Talc, Tocopherol, Tocopherol Acetate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange), Fusanus Spicatus Wood oil, Xantham Gum, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens]

on 8/16/2009 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

love love love this!!!!! i always thought i needed nothing less than medium coverage, but with using concealer on blemishes and redness ,(using lm secret camouflage at moment but still looking for better,can be a bit drying) then face and body i look natural and pretty. love it i have this in c3 c4 c5 which i go between depending on how tanned i am. the best foundation ive used do far!!

on 8/16/2009 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Disappointd with this.. really waxy on my skin! Felt too greasy and is only light coverage which I dont like. Even though I should as my skin is clear and its ideal for evening our skin tone but i like a bit more coverage than this! really really sheer!
I really wanted to like it cos cheryl cole uses it hahah how stupid?! But its just the texture!! too greasy!!
Good colour tho :)
Get a lot of product
Too watery!
Probs wont buy again :(
xx

on 8/15/2009 6:54:00 PM

I really like this foundation! I like to use this whenever I am in school because it provides a sheer/light coverage, and evens out my skin tone. I believe this is a better foundation for anybody with good skin(not too many flaws), because the coverage isn't going to be enough for some people with acne, or severe skin problems. The price is amazing for the amount of product! The normal foundation size from MAC is 1 fl.oz, and retail for about $31.00CAD. But THIS ONE, it comes with 4 fl.oz, and it is $38.50CAD! Okay, thats quadruple the products. I'm sold. WILL REPURCHASE AGAIN AND AGAIN!

on 8/8/2009 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

i really like this foundation. it's waterproof which is a huge plus if you live in somewhere nasty hot like i do (miami lol).
it applies evenly and easily.
it's not full coverage but it does a great job at evening out my skin and serving as a base for all the makeup i'll be applying.
it's great for normal or dry skin because it doesnt leave you too made and flaky, it kind of gives a more dewy look which is a huge plus.

on 8/7/2009 2:14:00 AM

I bought this foundation ages ago and hated it! I used to apply it with my fingers and the result was an oily mess. However I recently discovered the skunk-brush stippling/buffing method of makeup application and decided to give this another go.

The skunk brush method using this foundation makes my skin look natural and to some extent flawless. I still need my trusty Becca concealer, and I usually set with a Becca pressed powder too. With this combination my skin looks the best it ever has. Haven't had the slightest problem with breakouts (and my skin is highly acne prone). I have only used this technique in the winter, so with summer coming up it'll be interesting to see how this holds up to the warmer weather!

Just a final note, I didn't get a great colour match with this foundation, but the sheer nature means with good blending the colour adjusts well to my skin tone and an exact match isn't necessary. If anything the colour, which is slightly too dark, gives me a bit of a tanned glow.

on 8/3/2009 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm between NC42-NC44, acne prone/combo skin. I have this in C5 and C6. Been using this for a month, nice and natural coverage. Just make sure you set with a powder, preferably MSF Natural. Because this leaves your skin really shiny if you don't. I have acne scars and I conceal frist with Studio Finish concealer. Last all day, water resistant, so if your going out and will be sweatng this is really good, will not melt off. I apply with my MAC 109. Didn't break me out which is a plus. A really nice foundation, and you get a lot for your money.

on 8/1/2009 5:21:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

i ending up giveing this to my sister even tho i payed a lot of money for it, it covers nothink pretty hard to blend, the only good thing about this is u get lots of product and if you take your time blending it in it can look very natural, only get this if you have naturally clear skin

on 7/31/2009 5:37:00 PM

PROS
1. Sheer with buildable coverage
2. A great value for the size of the bottle
3. Very natural looking (depends on application method)

CONS
1. Can be extremely irritating to the skin
2. Extremely difficult to wash out of makeup brushes
3. No oil control

MY SKIN
1. Acne prone
2. Oily/Acne Prone
3. Shade: N2

---

Before I bought MAC Face & Body foundation, I carefully read all the reviews and researched it like a madwoman before making the commitment to purchase. Seems the reviews were split on this particular item; either you love it or you hate it. When the MAC SUMO sale came around I bit the bullet and ordered a bottle (I've never been MAC color matched so I used the "Email an Artist" link on their website and got a suggestion based on the foundation color I use in a different makeup line).

Application methods (using Monistat Anti-Chafing gel as primer):

1. FINGERS
Some people say they just smear it on their face with their fingers. In practice this left and uneven, oily mess on my face. It highlighted every pore and dry patch and any tiny wrinkle was magnified. Had to wash off and start over.

2. SKUNK BRUSH
I used the Sonia Kashuk highlighting brush (aka Skunkicorn), and I also tried it with the Sonia Kashuk flat-top blush brush. It worked best with the Skunkicorn; the flat-top blush brush was too dense to spread the very liquid-y foundation properly.
Using the stippling/buffing method, this created a very sheer, even-toned and beautiful look to my complexion. It also eliminated that "oily" look from the finger application method. Set with loose powder and my skin looked almost flawless. You can also wait a couple minutes after application and apply another layer for more coverage.

3. SPONGE
First of all, if you use the sponge method (and with a good sponge; not the drugstore latex wedges) you should stipple your foundation on with it, not drag and smear it all over your face. Stipping gives a nice air-brushed finish when done correctly.
I did not try this method with this foundation because all I had were my Laura Mercier sponges and my cheapo drugstore wedges that I never use. With the difficulty I had removing the foundation from my skunk brush, I knew it would never fully wash out from my Laura Mercier sponge and would have to throw it out more frequently (LM sponges last up to two-months each). I didn't want to use the drugstore wedges because that was just setting myself up for failure.
The foundation itself seemed too liquid (it's very watery) to even use properly with a sponge, so I can't comment on how it looks with the sponge method.

---

The first day I used it (with primer + setting powder) it looked nice but got pretty oily quickly. I started using this foundation when summer started so I can't blame oiliness on the foundation too much. If you blot gently with paper or even cheap toilet tissue, it shouldn't disturb the foundation too much.

When I went to wash it off that night I noticed my skin was much more irritated that usual and a few cystic spots had begun to form. Against better judgment, I kept using it.

I have to say, before I started using this foundation, while I *am* acne prone and do have many acne scars, I had been following a regimen that left me with nearly clear, healthy looking skin. That changed after a couple weeks, however....

The next day I applied it as usual and went on with my day. By the afternoon my face was beginning to feel itchy and irritated. Thinking my reaction was due to the weather vs. the foundation, I just washed it off as usual that night and my skin looked even worse than the night before.

A couple weeks of doing this and these are the effects I noticed with my skin:
1. I do have oily skin, but my pores aren't very noticeable. After using MAC F&B for a period my pores became very pronounced.
2. My skin became more red, my old acne scars darkened substantially and were even more prominent.
3. Acne. I started developing cysts all over my face. I had been taking care of my skin and had not experienced cysts for MONTHS until I started using this foundation.
4. Skin seemed to be getting oilier and looked incredibly awful when I removed the foundation. As I said, I had been taking care of my skin and normally when I wash my makeup off my skin looked fairly clear, UNTIL I started using this foundation. My skin looked red with dark, purplish acne scars all over my face. What the!

----

I have no idea WHAT exactly in this foundation affected my skin so badly... but the only other foundation that messed up my skin in a similar manner have been Tarte's Smooth Operator and Peaches and Cream foundations (which are both terrible to remove from brushes/sponges if applied in that manner, just like MAC F&B foundation).

Discontinued use of MAC F&B for three weeks have been getting treatments from an esthetician to fix my skin after all that abuse.

I had some theories as to why my skin was so damaged/irritated from this foundation; maybe my foundation brush was too harsh? Maybe it was building up in the brush because it was so hard to remove, and THAT was messing up my skin?

I've come to the conclusion that it's simply the MAC Face & Body foundation itself. My sister had once used this foundation back in the day and I recall she had similar bad luck with it. There are tons of posts online about people who have had ill effects from this foundation, as well as people who rave about it and experienced no side-effects from it at all.

I say get this if you don't have trouble with MAC foundations, or are not acne prone in any way shape or form. I'm super jealous of anyone who can wear this daily without problems, as it does look very natural and nice when applied properly. If you have any doubts at all, get a sample and apply daily for a week and check for reactions.

Love this foundation!!! I find this works great over my goopy sunscreens and also alone. I LOVE that is it is a bit sheer. I can have a slightly smoothed out look without looking like I'm overly made up. It sets quickly, so work fast. I put a light layer on, wait a minute or two and then put another light layer over/around my nose area to get extra coverage on a bit of redness. It lasts really well, leaves a slightly dewy finish, blots nicely and holds up. The large amount you get makes it cheaper or on par with most drugstore foundations.

on 7/28/2009 6:35:00 PM

Maybe good for ladies with very dry skin who want a dewy look. I returned this after 2 weeks of trying to make it work, during which I looked like an oil slick by 10 am, and had to touch up 3 and 4 times a day (note - I only have an oily nose, the rest is normal to dry!) Though colour matched by the SA, it became evident at home that C2 was too dark for me - while the foundation goes on sheer, not sheer enough to disguise the mismatch. All other colours were completely unsuitable.

On the bright side, I found it was buildable enough for my needs - tone down a bit of redness around my nose, even out of skin in the t-zone - I just needed to apply a thin coat, let it dry, then apply a second coat where I needed more coverage. I did find powder was needed to set it - my boyfriend had to wash his shirt one day when I forgot.