July 31, 2014 | 1242 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2010 10:06:00 PM More reviews by scarletquill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great all-over powder. I purchased it for the first time because I noticed it was $10 cheaper than the similar L'Oreal true match powder compact. (here in Australia) So I ecided to give it a go and see how it compared. Good things are that it's not as cakey as the L'Oreal and it seems a little bit more sheer. But the cons are that the colour selection is not as large, mind you the colours that are there are good shades, and also the packaging isn't as sturdy or easy to use as the L'Oreal. I don't really like the twist opening case to get to the mirror at the back. I prefer the snap opening of the L'Oreal case. I guess it does an okay job of keeping the skin matte throughout the day, but you do have to keep it in your handbag so you can touch-up if you are prone to an oily t-zone like me.
All in all, it is a good pressed powder for the reasonable price that it is, I'm still going to be testing out other brands, but I'll never buy the CoverGirl one again...let me just say that it's horrible, cakey, blotchy and it smells awful. The L'Oreal and the Maybelline are definitely excellent choices for drugstore options.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 2:17:00 PM More reviews by nothingreally

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This powder really let me down. The color selection is very misleading, I have sand 0-1 and I'm usually too light for most maybelline foundations(I'm pale olive/neutral & most of their lighter shades are too pink). It keeps me matte for only about 2 hours, and ironically while the rest of my face gets shiny as hell, this makes my undereye concealer look dry and sink into fine lines. It does set foundation well though, feels natural and makes the skin look more even. There is very little coverage, which I expected since it is a finishing powder, but given its limited matte abilities this isn't much good for one of those 'bare' skin days. But the major dealbreaker is it gives me white face in pictures, even when I used Beige 2.25 - 3.50 which is too dark for me. I used this over the summer for a matte, natural look and I was pretty pissed when I came back from my vacation and saw that I looked like a ghost in all the flash photos. I lent this to a friend with a similar skintone when we were getting ready for a party and in the pictures from that night, even though she still looked gorgeous, she looked sort of pasty and pale, and an obvious skin color difference when it came to the neckline. I now know to always do flash photography test when trying a new finishing powder. This one doesn't cut it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2010 6:52:00 PM More reviews by breathecaroline

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Surprisingly, really good. I haven't liked any of the products in the Dream Matte line so I pretty much assumed I wouldn't like this one either. I expected it to be either cakey or too powdery or break me out. But, it wasn't and it didn't. I use this to set my tinted moisturizer and my concealer and it makes my face super soft and looks flawless. I use it in Medium Sand which is a pretty good match for my NC 20-25 skin. I would buy this again, but I subtract one lippie for the cheap packaging.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2010 7:05:00 PM More reviews by EightNineTen

I'm NC25 (maybe even lighter now), purchased cream, and it's just *slightly* too light for my skin. I use this in conjunction with my MAC 187 brush to set my foundation by "dabbing" the powder into my skin, and then brushing away the excess. If I use a sponge, my face definitely looks gray (and I don't think it's because of the shade).

This doesn't control oil as well as MAC blot powder but the finish of dream matte is far superior because my skin looks more polished and less flat. Makes my foundation last all day. There is shimmer in the powder, though it is completely undetectable on my skin. If used alone, gives a sheer-light coverage. This isn't THE perfect powder...and I don't know why...just seems a little over-hyped. Still, a good powder and I would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2010 6:19:00 PM More reviews by bathory313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It mattifies, yes. It's a bit too yellow. It lasts a decent amount of time. I hate that the puff is in a swing-out compartment in the bottom; it feels clunky. I like Rimmel mattifying powder better, but the Rimmel version doesn't even come with a puff. Cheapskates!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by marlavm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Good mattifying powder but, unfortunately, every time I use it I get clogged pores and/or a pimple (I never use the puff -- only a brush). I will keep shelling out $ for MAC Blot.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2010 9:38:00 PM More reviews by kingspanky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this based on the recs on the board--it was 40% off at Walgreens and I needed some sort of powder. This is not a great powder, but not a bad one either, sort of bleh. It appears natural, but doesn't seem to have an exceptional staying or even mattifying power.

What is great about it is the packaging: a slide out bottom tray with puff and mirror, that locks shut. But we don't buy makeup for the packaging, do we?

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2010 8:26:00 PM More reviews by thkam

i just bought this product. coverage is ok, good for running to the store etc..nothing crazy...makes my face feel really smooth which i like. the color is a bit pinkish, would prefer if it's more neutral toned or even a little yellow-er...the funny thing is, after a few hours of putting this on, my face gets soo itchy around my jawline and i'll have to wash it off. this is my third day using it and i haven't broken out from it yet. but does any of you know what ingredient is in it that is making my face itch? please send me a message if you do. i don't want to waste this product as i like how it makes my face smooth, but if it continues to make me itch, i'll have to toss it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2010 6:01:00 PM More reviews by jdruler

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know how to classify my skin type. I had acne a couple of years ago for which I went on accutane but now my skin is zit-free (which I do attribute to my skin regimen). Nevertheless, my skin gets oily during the day but it doesn't look oily/shiny, it just.. feels? -oily. My pores are not large either.

In any case, I wanted something that would give my skin a subtle glow while hiding my past acne marks (though of course I don't expect something like this to cover them completely).

So I found this somewhat chalky and too drying (at least for the first couple hours after which it was ok). I didn't like the finish either.

This probably would be better if I had more oily skin or had shine issues, which I thankfully don't. It does mattify (too mattifying I guess for me-- almost chalk). It's not 100% matte though, just fyi. It does have a hint, just a hint, of sparkles that is really barely noticeable but probably helps give that added glow.

So long story short, great for oilier skin (and it turns out Paula Begoun agrees in her book).

As far as packaging-- it's all right. I like that the mirror and puff are separate but the twisty thing was sort of annoying.

Lastly, I tried to wash the puff and the puff part get a bit separated from the back. I also wish that the puff was white instead of cream so I could gauge when it needed to be washed.

Overall the product is good, but just not for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/13/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by mseliizaabeth

i bought this with the expectation it would live up to MACs MSF natrual. I was extrememly disappointed. I used this powder to set my revlon colorstay. It was just way too cakey. Also, by the end of my day (about 6 hours!) it was very blochy and practically gone on my t zone. would not repurshase! Im gonna stick with my stay matte.