October 21, 2014 | 2010 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2003 2:55:00 PM More reviews by PoisonedIvy

Sorry Marilyn, Coco. This is one scent that has not stood the test of time. It may have been revolutionary in the Art Deco era, but now there are so many better scents out there. One plus: it didn't irritate my allergies, which is unusual. Other than that, the smell was just outdated and generic smelling. It's something I my grandmother wears- she has excellent taste and wouldn't be caught dead in polyester, and this smell fits her just right, but definitely not me! My husband sniffed my wrist and said. "Hmmm. Old people." That about sums it up.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2003 12:09:00 AM More reviews by Dallas15129

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I never cared for this sent much (it smelled like baby wipes) untill my Great-Grandmother past away, she wore it every day since she was a girl. Now it's one of my favs. It's a very classic scent, soft, easy to wear. I feel classy when I wear it, like I should have a string of pearls around my neck and men grovling at my feet!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2003 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Marian48

Love this scent. I've worn it forever...every summer...and never tire of it. It smells light and clean and fresh on my skin and never seems to irritate family members who have allergies to scents.....a true classic

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2003 9:18:00 PM More reviews by chedoux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't get it. I don't know any old ladies who smell like this, but that's all I can think of when I smell this fragrance-- old and powdery (and I like powder). On my skin this is not very nice.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2003 6:47:00 PM More reviews by lolly5377

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's not my favorite, but it's classic and it is lovely. The strong aldehydes can make it offputting at first, but I think it wears well on many women. It makes a classy statement, and I'd rather have every woman out there wearing this instead of those boring, dull floral "favorites" like Happy, Beautiful, and Pleasures.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2003 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Journey03

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this perfume. It is a classic, chic fragrance. I have worn Chanel No 5 for almost 10 years now and have not been sick of it. I am a VERY tough critic when it comes to fragrance, & I am the type of person who has to have VARIETY in my perfume wardrobe (min of 12 different fragrances)-- Marilyn was right when she picked this.. very sexy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2003 8:12:00 PM More reviews by listenlikethieves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

And so I dig up my little sample vial of Chanel No. 5 and read the reviews of it on the boards... Marilyn envy... ladylike... the Dom Perignon of perfumes! I will wear Chanel No. 5 when I am eighty and eccentric, and I will give it to my granddaughters as their first fragrance. It's simply the most revered classic in history. Mwah!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2003 2:47:00 AM More reviews by Dzehague

This was my first real 'grown up' perfume. I dont think it is the greatest perfume created of all time, but I still love it! Consists of jasmine, ylang ylang, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli plus aldehydes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2003 9:44:00 AM More reviews by Bernard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Years ago, Chanel No 5 used to smell like ditch water on me, although as I have aged, my skin actually likes this perfume now. I call it my hug, it is a very comforting smell. And still a great classic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2003 8:49:00 PM More reviews by thalia

This is a warm, soft, powdery-with-an-edge, sophisticated yet easygoing scent. It works best for me on cooler, rainy days. Something about it makes me feel very cozy and clean. I actually prefer this for day, casual wear, but everyone is different.