November 29, 2014 | 1137 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used Bare Canvas in the original paint for several years, and I like it. But when I ran out, I looked at several other lines and options for an eye primer, just to see if there was something I liked better. I liked the smoothness of this, but unfortunately the color was too dark for my lids. I like that it's a pinker tone than the Bare Canvas and if it were a shade or two lighter, it would be perfect for me. I can see for many people this would be an ideal color - but none of the colors in the paint pots work for my skin coloring. Also, I don't know what it is about the pots versus the regular paints, but there's something in this that really irritates my eyes...but it could just be me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2008 7:00:00 PM More reviews by xoxo1598

i didn't care for the thick/very dry texture. it was hard to blend and didn't make my e/s pop like MAC's foundation pot and Paint Pot in Bare Study. i was really looking forward to this being a great product for me but unfortunately, didn't pan out. i have to say, however, i'm an NC30 and this is a PERFECT match to my skintone!

**EDIT** my cousin recommended applying with my finger (vs. a brush which i previously applied with) and OMG, i LOVE it now!!! it works wonderfully and is the *BEST* base ever! I actually apply this under other bases, such as Bare Study and Rubenesque, as it gives a smoother, more even application and NEVER creases. I can't believe it's such a change from application with a brush, i would definitely recommend applying with your finger!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2008 12:12:00 PM More reviews by johnna3148

I absolutely love this as a primer for my eyeshadow, it goes on smooth, dries quickly, and my eyeshadow NEVER creases or fades, it's awesome!! No touch ups for me ever!! I will buy this again and again. I want to try UDPP sometime but I am afraid to leave my paint pot! LOL =) P.S. I also use this under my bottom lashes to help my liner and or eyeshadow stay on longer there too!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 11:33:00 PM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG base! I always use Ulta's nude colored eye shadow base and Painterly on top of that. I love Painterly, it's the most gorgeous nude color, it's the perfect base. Plus, with the amount you get, it lasts forever! I have a few paint pots and Painterly by far is my favorite and the only one I will run back to repurchase. It goes on very smooth and it's super creamy. I find that it hugs my eyelids and makes eyeshadows go on better. A must have if you don't have this already!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2008 3:49:00 AM More reviews by laurennyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I ran across this product in search of an eyeshadow that will actually stay on my skin. This product lasts all day. Sometimes I use it as a base and put one of my favorite powder shadows on top, and it makes that stay all day! The product was difficult to use, since I have always used powder shadows which go on smooth, delicately, and with the same consistency. The consistency of this product is like a stiff cream. It pulls and tugs the eyelids, which I am not a fan of, but since I started using a brush it doesn't pull nearly as much and goes on much lighter. Overall, it's a great product that takes a lot of practice to learn how to use. You might feel like giving up and pitching it, but if you have probems with eyeshadows creasing it's worth the effort of learning how to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2008 11:33:00 PM More reviews by SandraBonita

I decided to try this product instead of my usual MAC paints in a tube that I swear by and I actually prefer the paint pot better. The consistency and quality of the product is identical to the paints in a tube, but I prefer the jar better because you can use it sparingly. One of my complaints about the Paints when you squeeze the tube is the initial time you open it, air pushes out too much product and you tend to squeeze out more product than you need and waste it with each use. With the pots, you only use the amount of product you needing my dabbing in your concealer brush. I will not wear eyeshadow without one of these MAC products ever! This is the best product on the market to avoid eyeshadow creasing and is must staple product! Your eyeshadow will last all day without creasing or flaking regardless of the weather climate.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 2:32:00 PM More reviews by adornedwithgrace

I actually only became interested in this product after seeing EnKore's (Makeup YouTube guru) video on concealing dark undereye circles. I have to say mine are some of the worse around and when I don't wear something to cover them up, people always ask me if I got any sleep or if I'm coming down with something, lol!I don't wear MAC foundations but I am guessing I'm in the range of NC35 and this does work pretty well with my skintone to provide a base for another concealer. I actually started just using this instead of an additional concealer and it seems to work just as well. I like the texture; thick but not too heavy and not so fine that I feel like it melts or gradually disappears. I haven't tried it yet as an eyeshadow base but I've heard from many others it does well as that too especially if you wear mineral eyeshadows. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2008 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Steph0891

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

so far i'm loving it. didn't crease on me and made my eyeshadow last as a base. my hg is UD primer but i'm hoping this will replace it since there's so much more products. i'll continue to use it and update...but so far i'm loving it.
UPDATE: nope. sorry. this is nothing compared to udpp. udpp makes my shadows more pigmented..and it truly does not crease. this made my shadows crease. =(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2008 10:55:00 PM More reviews by hedgehog2484

Painterly has quickly become a staple item for me. I do not have oily lids and have only had creasing problems with certain shadows. I wanted a base to solve the creasing problems I did have, to make shadows easier to blend, and to give an even color. This product does all of this. My eye makeup lasts all day for me (16 hours plus) with no creasing and minimal fading.
I am very fair and cooler toned (I am guessing around NW15 in the summer). This color is a very close match and gives a my-lids-but-better look. I sometimes put this in the whole eye area to even out the appearance, but I think it is maybe the teeniest bit too dark for the brow-bone area. I sometimes use a synthetic brush to apply to my lids, but I normally just use my fingers.
I chose Painterly over Bare Canvas and Bare Study because I did not want shimmer and I think Painterly is more versatile.
I find this well worth the money because it suits my coloring and needs perfectly and because I know I will use this up (although I only need a little bit at a time.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by laurenmt

Ok, I really like the staying power of this, as I used it primarily for an eyeshadow primer. But as a tan/medium colored girl (Ref: MAC NW 40, Chanel 7.0, MUFE F&B #6), this stuff makes me look even darker (which is something I don't prefer..)
So I will give it the packaging and staying power lippies it deserves, and it is even priced really well..as for the color..I wish there was something that was more of my skin color...will not repurchase.
***UPDATE: I really love this as a primer, I lightened up a bit and it is a great base for eye make up.