July 25, 2014 | 1831 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2010 3:31:00 PM More reviews by RedFishTwoFish

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

Short story: HG for congested pore sufferers. Not an acne or wrinkle solution.

Thank you, MUA, thank you. It took me days to get through the then-619 reviews on this brush and convinced me to buy it.

This is an HG product for me. I have very congested skin, it's oily and has a super-high skin cell turnover that helps blemishes heal fast but means that it's a constant losing battle to try to keep my skin exfoliated enough to be clean. My overall skin health improved when I started using Eminence products 5 years ago, but I continued to have massive blackheads and since I moved to the desert (we have frequent dust storms) my super oily skin has become even more congested and clogged- nearly EVERY pore on my skin is clogged, it's beyond disgusting. Nothing was making a dent in de-congesting it, and I couldn't use moisturizers without my skin breaking out, so I was fast developing hardcore wrinkles from sun damage despite my attempts to stay indoors and wear hats when I was out. I started to get dry patches in addition to being super oily, but any attempts to moisturize my skin resulted in MORE clogged pores, MORE blackeads, MORE blemishes. And now wrinkles, ugh.

I bought the Mia about 3 weeks ago because I wasn't willing to risk the $225 for the Plus brush. I've just upgraded from the Mia to the Plus because I love it so much.

Firstly, you WILL purge, especially if you have hyper-clogged skin like mine. Instead of despairing, I was ecstatic over each new blemish because they were all long-time clogged pore residents that had been defying all other attempts to get rid of them. I'm still purging 3 weeks later, and will probably continue to do so for about 6 months at least before they are all gone. The first week or so was a more intense purge, so don't despair if you break out at first. You WANT your skin to get rid of the junk that was lurking below the surface.

My nose was absolutely covered in blackheads and while they are not gone, they are lighter, my pores are smaller, and it's easier to do extractions. My skin has lost the dull, desiccated look and is developing a beautiful roses-and-cream glow that means all I need is a little mineral concealer and my skin is ready to go. I've honestly had moments of "my skin feels like a million bucks!" in the morning after using it. I regret not having this years ago. My skin is so soft and smooth, and is slowly loosing that sand-textured feel as my pores loosen and clear.

It will not be immediate. It isn't a magic bullet, it's just a super-efficient cleanser. Do not expect it to stop acne that isn't due to congestion, or for it to fill in wrinkles. It will definitely help, especially if your skin tends to react badly to products like mine does. Here's some key observations:

- It will intensify any product you use by 2x. **This means most cleansers are now too harsh to be used!!**

- I can use moisturizers now because they are no longer clogging my pores and causing breakouts

-Less product needed, whether cleansing, treating, or moisturizing, so my Eminence budget just doubled or TRIPLED because I need so much less product. Saves big $$$

-Moisturizers are more effective on wrinkles, skin tone, etc. as they are penetrating more deeply into my skin.

-Skin is no longer oily in the t-zone and no more dry patches, moisturizers are keeping skin balanced and hydrated all day

-Less makeup needed, also saving considerable $$$ and therefore fewer makeup-triggered breakouts

Please be warned about the cleansers being intensified as well as your moisturizers. It's easy to think that the brush is being too harsh on your skin, but it's probably the combination of your old cleanser and the brush being too much. You no longer need your cleaners to CLEANSE, ironically, because the brush is now cleaning your skin via agitation. You only need the cleansers to lubricate the passage of the brush over your skin and to soften dirt, oil, and makeup so it can be removed by the brush.

I actually bought a slew of samples for different cleansers and moisturizers, and the brush reduces my need for product so much that a single sample will last me a week or more. Be warned that you may have to completely overhaul your skin products, because my skin totally changed with the addition of the brush and will no longer tolerate the cleansers I used to use (except the Stone Crop Gel wash) and is now thirsty for moisturizers. Be willing to switch up your products if the brush isn't working for you, especially if your skin feels too dry or feels raw.

As I said, I loved the Mia so much that I just upgraded it to the Plus so I could have the 2 minute setting, additional speeds, and body brush. If it's done so well decongesting my face, I can't wait to attack my décolletage. If you can afford the Plus, I would go for it, but the Mia works great for the face.

I bought mine from ulta.com because I wanted the points and the return policy; I'd recommend resisting ebay to save a few bucks and go with somewhere that has a return policy and good warranty, so you can return it if you don't like it.

I cannot live without this brush; the two cleanings I missed while waiting for the Plus to charge showed how much of a difference it makes. Go get one, you won't regret it!

I'll do an update in 6 months as well.

49 out of 52 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2010 10:34:00 AM More reviews by lmichelle

I think i would give this a 4.5 if I could. I was slightly disappointed at first because I guess I expected this to miraculously make my skin flawless. I should say that my skin is not in bad shape to start with so it doesn't need MAJOR improvements anyway. After accepting that, I am very happy I bought this. I can tell it removes my makeup much more effectively than regular washing and I love that it exfoliates gently at the same time. It definitely makes your skin soft and smooth. I was hoping it would do more to help my blackheads but it has helped lessen them I think.

I am happy I bought the Mia because I can't imagine what the full size one would offer that would be worth the bigger price tag. The magnetic charger is ingenious. Also, I do not have sensitive skin at all but the Mia came with the "sensitive" brush head and I am happy with it. The "normal" brush might be too rough. Overall I am happy I made this investment. It is a quality tool that will be valuable to me now and even more so as my skin ages.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by rebelb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Fabulous results. Saw the difference from the first use, and I take good care of my skin. I like that I can use it in the shower.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 9:47:00 PM More reviews by departureofskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got the purple one when this was the Today's Special Value on QVC for $120. I had been having a lot of problems with acne for a couple months before I bought this and this helped quite a bit. I don't break out nearly as bad now, and when I do the blemishes heal a lot more quickly. This really helped the most with blackheads and my skin tone though. I use it at night before bed with my Neutrogena Acne Stress Control cleanser and then follow with witch hazel as a toner (no makeup residue on my cotton ball ever by the way so you know it really cleans). It's expensive but I really recommend this.

EDIT 7/31/10: I'm breaking out really bad again and I think using this is just aggravating it. I'm going to have to go back to the derm.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 5:34:00 AM More reviews by jenja536

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this once a day in the shower before heading to bed. It leaves my skin feeling soft and when I first started using this, I could see by the color on the brush that dirt, makeup, and old skin cells were being removed. After continuous use of this for 2 weeks, the brush is no longer as colored as it was when I first started using it. I normally wipe my face with a make up removal cloth before going into the shower to assure that my skin is getting thoroughly cleaned. This is a great product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 10:54:00 PM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Regular price is $146 at Sephora. This is the mini version of the original. It only has 1 speed setting and goes on for 30 seconds, but you can turn it on again if you want. The brush head that I got is for sensitive skin, it comes with gentle cleanser for sensitive skin also and a charger.
I've been using this for just a week now, and my skin looks and feels better. I've been wanting this for so long but thinking it's pricey...I never knew this is going to be worth it.
It really does make a difference. I use it twice a day (morning and night). You don't have to use their cleansers, any cleanser that works for you will do.
Just avoid using it together with any exfoliating products, because this already exfoliates your skin. Using too much exfoliation will only do harm on your skin. If you want to use exfoliating products, use that then skip using Clarisonic and do it the next day instead.
If you're wearing eye make up, remove it with eye make up remover before using Clarisonic. And also, don't push too hard on your brush thinking it'll clean better, I tell you, lighter is better. Just move it in circular motion and that is good enough.
Overall, this is worth the buy and effort adding it to my daily skincare routine :) You shoulg give it a try. My husband keeps on complimenting me with my skin w/o make up :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2010 4:01:00 PM More reviews by Evets

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have good skin genes..both mom and dad had nice clear skin and retain an appearance of being years younger than actually. That aside, I have sensitive skin which is starting to show sun damage in the form of thinning, discoloration/spotting, and enlarged pores in the nasal area. .I got the Mia because of its smaller size and smaller price. I was good with the sensitive brush, then switched...I may go back to the sensitive.But basically it has improved the clarity and made skin very smooth. I am having some issues with little fatty bumps and this is seeming to improve as well. I cannot overstimulate my skin or I get rosacea redness.I believe using the sensitive brush will prevent trouble. I think I will save on different exfoliation products. I can't use aha or retinol so this can be my effective beauty secret! QVC does give the try for 30 days and easy pay which made the decision for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2010 12:30:00 AM More reviews by meickmeier

was amazing!!! clears pores and also makes them look smaller. A bit expensive to buy first off , but sooo worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2010 10:08:00 AM More reviews by kkostera

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

well i waited to buy this, i don't know why. It was a value of the day on QVC but it was on sale www.aspenleafspa.com. I saw it on youtube. Anyway the product is great!! made my skin super smooth and i've had it a week. No way do you need the next one up. For your face, the Mia is perfect. I used my philosophy daily microdelivery, scrub is so gentle its ok. You have to remove your eye make up first but i love it so far. My skin feels smooth, especially my neck. Its so great!!!
I need to add...when watching QVC, the host was talking about using the Philosophy daily microdelivery. Its NOT abrasive at all. My skin is not sensitive but it feels great I use it in the morning when skin is somewhat clean before makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 6:42:00 PM More reviews by HollyMarie

Complete life changing product!! Obviously with all my reviews I have tried a great deal of products-I am always battling acne, clogged pores and fine lines. Enter the Mia- I have been using this just every other day since December and I feel soo happy.. Not one cyst pimple, blackheads pretty much cleared-occassional tiny (poppable) white head if I use too much sunscreen. My products seem to penetrate better and more even skin tone.. I debated on the original sysem or the Mia and after a lot of reviews I thought the Mia would be easier for me. I have no regrets. Works great (though it is only a minute cycle-but you can do it 2x if you like) Easy to travel with and its small and easy to use in the shower etc. I dont want to be without it! Yes the replacement heads are $$ but check out ebay for deals. Honestly I feel like I dont spend $$ on products that dont deliver.. This is the best.....UPDATE>> I really dont know how I will ever live without this..After years of battling adult acne I can finally say I am completely clear even my unpredicatable hormonal chin is not clogged up anymore! And this is saying it with confidence after one year of using this. I am soo thankful and happy-this product alone has completely changed my skin for the better. Worth every penny-the way you clean your skin is important. And my skin is much happier with this than a harsh abrasive scrub or tons of irritating retinols. I use this and Purity and though I may dabble with moisturizers and serums this and Purity are my mainstays-Even my derm sells Clarisonics now-Life changing product!