December 19, 2014 | 1639 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 9:45:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I guess I'm in the minority here, because I thought this product was pretty shoddy.

After reading all the positive reviews, I was really expecting greatness. I forgot my own rule about buying into hype. I usually avoid overhyped anything; books, movies, restaurants, like the plague because I am almost always disappointed. Maybe I just have unusually high expectations.

At any rate...I am incredibly thankful that I only bought the trial size, though that alone was $8.50.

This gave an odd patchy look to my base shadow. Regardless of how much or how little I used, I could not get a uniform application. Also, I've never had a problem with creasing...until I used this! Suddenly, my eyelids looked like they had hinges. What the hell? And finally, it did absolutely nothing to even out the color of my lids in order to provide a nice canvas for my eye makeup.

Eons ago, my cosmetologist mother taught me the trick of using foundation or concealer on my lids, which I've done ever since I began wearing make-up. Honestly, I have FAR better results with that technique than I have ever had with an eyeshadow primer. I've decided that for me, such products are superfluous.

Know what works GREAT? Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer. A tube is $25, but even using it as a primer and as a concealer, my last tube lasted me nearly a year.

If you don't want to to shell out the money for that....Maybelline Dream Matte concealer works amazingly well too. And it's like...eight bucks.

I love Too Faced cosmetics and usually find the quality to be unsurpassed. But not this product. Sorry Too Faced.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 9:16:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

I prefer this more than UDPP sooo much more! I tried UDPP first because of all the good reviews on it. I was quite impressed seeing how long/vibrant the shadow lasted on the eye that I used it. However, I was disappointed at the packaging, and the fact that UDPP is very drying and it's quite hard to spread onto the lids. I felt like I was tugging on my lid pretty hard. Unlike UDPP, TFSI is so creamier to blend into the lid, and it feels like a moisturizer. A little goes a long way. It keeps my shadow vibrant, and it does not make the shadow go on blotchy like the UDPP. I would put this on 8AM, and my shadow still wont crease by the time I take it off around 11PM. I like the consistency of TFSI so much more than UDPP, smoother and easier to blend. Another plus about Too Faced is the packaging. It is in a squeeze tube, and so you squeeze out what you need. Unlike the UDPP, Too Face is very easy to use up. I can very easily get out the last drop unlike UDPP where I have to go depot it and get all messy.
Last thing, Too Face does not dry fast unlike UDPP. For example, I'll use UDPP for 2 months and then I can already feel that the product has dried up a lot inside. This is due to the wand being pumped in and out. Because Too Face is a squeeze out, no air is being pumped in, and so the product's consistency stays the same for a longer time. The cost of it is worth it, seeing that it makes my eyeshadow last.

EDIT******
I prefer UDPP over the TFSI. Main reason is because TFSI does NOT prevent my mascara from smudging onto my under eyes. I always make sure that I apply a tiny bit of eyeshadow primer near my lashes so that my mascara won't transfer, yet I always notice some mascara smudging onto my under eye area whenever I use the TFSI. I think it might have to do with the consistency with the primer in that it is more creamier than the UDPP. And besides, you get more product with the UDPP ($20 for 0.37 oz) whereas TFSI is $20 for 0.35oz. Note: I have regular eyelids - not super oily, not super dry.
While it does not keep my mascara from smudging, it does make my eyeshadow last just as long and vibrant as UDPP.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2010 3:30:00 AM More reviews by linds1986

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Best primer, with the best packaging! Way better than UDPP.
TRY IT!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2010 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Breve

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

LOVE this primer!!It is the only one that I've tried out of the several I've tried, that actually WORKS. UDPP didn't work at all on me. My skin is on the drier side and I've heard/read on here that for drier skin, Too faced shadow insurance is better, so maybe that's why. Pros: This dries pretty quickly, is very light, blends well and is not thick and sticky like paints are for bases; matches my skin perfectly- (obviously that's subjective though)- so I use it also as a light under eye concealer and all over my lid to even out skintone; and of course it sticks my eyeshadow to my lid like it's supposed to! Cons- I use it up pretty quickly even though i only use a tiny bit everyday, because it's a tiny tube. Pretty expensive for such a little amount. But I'd still keep buying it because it works :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Kirbear321

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely love this stuff. It's quite pricey IMO, but I still love it.
I don't have particularly oily skin - but my lids always crease without a primer and this works like magic. I can wear make up all day and have no problems.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by bellamelly

I like this better than UDPP, but alas, it still falls short. I have lids that can be a tad dry in the morning, but are usually oily by midday. I'm 31 years old and don't feel I have any great amount of eyelid "wrinkling," however, shadows still look prettier without this primer, which does slightly emphasize any tiny bit of uneveness / crepiness I have. That being said, it does prevent creasing, so I'm giving it a solid "3" as it does work - just not how I'd like it to. Thumbs up on the packaging for this one: easy to dispense just the right amount.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 10:19:00 AM More reviews by ju1i4nn3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love Too Faced Shadow Insurance! This product is comparable to UDPP, but in my opinion -- much better. The product is just as good as UDPP, but the packaging is SO much better! Imagine not having to cut a tube open in order to get all the product out! It's great :)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2010 10:30:00 PM More reviews by timaMARIE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will be honest and say at first, when i purchased this product, it worked wonders! the consistency was great, my shadow did not crease. I was in love. Until one day, when i went to use it, some oil came out along with the actual product. I did not pay it any mind, and continued to use it for a few days, then after a while, i began to notice my shadow had creased. Then not to long after the stain power of my shadow was disappearing and soon enough, i had enough. Above all, this product was great in the beginning, but it really disappointed me in the end :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2010 6:09:00 PM More reviews by sophiecl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

After years of using Urban Decay Primer Potion, I finally became fed up with the impractical packaging and switched over to Too Faced Shadow Insurance. The quality of this product is great. The texture of the primer is really nice. It's silky and smooth without feeling greasy. A little goes a long way, so this tube will definitely last me a long time. It sets in about a minute so you don't have to wait long to put your eye make-up on after applying this. Just a small amount makes the color of my eyeshadow on my eyes truer to the color in the pot. For me it had lasted up to 18 hours without creasing, and maybe would have lasted even longer if I hadn't wiped of my make-up and went to bed. I don't know if I'd say that this product is any better or worse than Urban Decay Primer Potion, they're both great, but I prefer Too Faced Shadow Insurance because of the packaging. You can get all the product out without cutting open the bottle so you get your money's worth without all of the work. Also being able to squeeze the product out of a tube is more sanitary than using the same wand and dipping it in the bottle over and over again. It's not expensive or cheap compared to other primers of its caliber. Too Faced Shadow Insurance is my HG primer and I highly recommend it.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2010 12:05:00 PM More reviews by robbyn7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love the packaging of this product versus UD but unfortunately after a few hours my oily lids start to crease. I really wanted this to work because of the convenient tube but I have to use U.D. if I'll be wearing shadow for more than 4hrs.