September 22, 2014 | 2004 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by madddiemom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I started having problems with UDPP. It was making my eyelids burn. It felt warm when I applied it, so I gave Painterly a try and I'm so glad I did. It works beautifully on my oily lids. I've been using it under my NARS Best palette and my shadows last the entire school day. I really couldn't believe it. It feels kind of sticky when applied, but I guess that holds the eye shadow in place. I have been using it for a few weeks and I'm very impressed. I will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 12:27:00 AM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I normally use UDPP as a base, but I use other things as well just depending on what look I am trying to achieve. I use Painterly Paint pot over my UDPP when I need more coverage over my lid and when I have the time!

Alone without the UDPP this goes on kinda tacky. I use a foundation brush to apply it with UDPP underneath. I have dry allergy afflicted eyes and lids so I shouldn't be wearing makeup at all right now!

I took off one lippie because I can't apply it without UDPP underneath and get a flawless affect. However, Painterly Paint Pot has coverage that UDPP does not. I love both far too much to use one without the other!

UPDATE: I have noticed my eyeshadow works so much better with UDPP. Painterly PP was drying out my lids and after a while the color was wearing down in my crease (UDPP never does that to me)! Also, NYX jumbo pencil in Milk is much better at bringing out the vibrancy of colors than Painterly. If I had to repurchase today I would pass because dry lids are painful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 10:32:00 PM More reviews by boogiepimp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok, so all primers have pros and cons to them. A lot of people are saying they may prefer UDPP for its' non-creasiness and durability in keeping your eyeshadow application and they are right. Some like Too-Faced Shadow Insurance as well as it's very similar to UDPP but with better packaging and it allows maybe just a touch more blend-ability with eyeshadow application. However, Painterly Paint Pot is so great in its' own right as well. I like how it's such a opaque creamy nude color which is great for going over any eyelid color or blood vessel flaws and I also like how it leaves a thicker layer compared to UDPP, so it smooths out your eyelid. Lastly, I like how it leaves a creamy application which makes it easy for more powdery products like pigment powders, or mineral eyeshadows to stick to (aside from using a cream base). If you get oily lids and are using this on it's own and expect it to last crease-free and not let any of your eye makeup slide for longer than an 8-hour day, you're wrong....as eventually it may crease a bit or some of your shadow may slide just a bit (depending on how oily you get) but if you just use UDPP or even Too-Faced Shadow Insurance, you'll get a longer, crease-free hold, but your shadows will not blend as easily.
Solution? For a truly long-wearing look that will last probably a day and a half, use UDPP or Too-Faced Shadow Insurance as your initial base and then use Painterly Paint pot on top to help with your actual application and blending. Using both products for me anyways, is not necessary for a regular day at work when I'm out for about 10 hours a day and then back home, but for a super-long day, you'll appreciate the benefits of both products. Love the packaging and how you can use your finger or a brush.
It lasts a long time as well considering daily use. If you don't have oily eyelids than you will probably find using this alone may suit your needs and you don't need anything else.

22 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used Bare Canvas in the original paint for several years, and I like it. But when I ran out, I looked at several other lines and options for an eye primer, just to see if there was something I liked better. I liked the smoothness of this, but unfortunately the color was too dark for my lids. I like that it's a pinker tone than the Bare Canvas and if it were a shade or two lighter, it would be perfect for me. I can see for many people this would be an ideal color - but none of the colors in the paint pots work for my skin coloring. Also, I don't know what it is about the pots versus the regular paints, but there's something in this that really irritates my eyes...but it could just be me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2008 7:00:00 PM More reviews by xoxo1598

i didn't care for the thick/very dry texture. it was hard to blend and didn't make my e/s pop like MAC's foundation pot and Paint Pot in Bare Study. i was really looking forward to this being a great product for me but unfortunately, didn't pan out. i have to say, however, i'm an NC30 and this is a PERFECT match to my skintone!

**EDIT** my cousin recommended applying with my finger (vs. a brush which i previously applied with) and OMG, i LOVE it now!!! it works wonderfully and is the *BEST* base ever! I actually apply this under other bases, such as Bare Study and Rubenesque, as it gives a smoother, more even application and NEVER creases. I can't believe it's such a change from application with a brush, i would definitely recommend applying with your finger!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2008 12:12:00 PM More reviews by johnna3148

I absolutely love this as a primer for my eyeshadow, it goes on smooth, dries quickly, and my eyeshadow NEVER creases or fades, it's awesome!! No touch ups for me ever!! I will buy this again and again. I want to try UDPP sometime but I am afraid to leave my paint pot! LOL =) P.S. I also use this under my bottom lashes to help my liner and or eyeshadow stay on longer there too!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 11:33:00 PM More reviews by GetLowxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG base! I always use Ulta's nude colored eye shadow base and Painterly on top of that. I love Painterly, it's the most gorgeous nude color, it's the perfect base. Plus, with the amount you get, it lasts forever! I have a few paint pots and Painterly by far is my favorite and the only one I will run back to repurchase. It goes on very smooth and it's super creamy. I find that it hugs my eyelids and makes eyeshadows go on better. A must have if you don't have this already!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2008 3:49:00 AM More reviews by laurennyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I ran across this product in search of an eyeshadow that will actually stay on my skin. This product lasts all day. Sometimes I use it as a base and put one of my favorite powder shadows on top, and it makes that stay all day! The product was difficult to use, since I have always used powder shadows which go on smooth, delicately, and with the same consistency. The consistency of this product is like a stiff cream. It pulls and tugs the eyelids, which I am not a fan of, but since I started using a brush it doesn't pull nearly as much and goes on much lighter. Overall, it's a great product that takes a lot of practice to learn how to use. You might feel like giving up and pitching it, but if you have probems with eyeshadows creasing it's worth the effort of learning how to use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2008 11:33:00 PM More reviews by SandraBonita

I decided to try this product instead of my usual MAC paints in a tube that I swear by and I actually prefer the paint pot better. The consistency and quality of the product is identical to the paints in a tube, but I prefer the jar better because you can use it sparingly. One of my complaints about the Paints when you squeeze the tube is the initial time you open it, air pushes out too much product and you tend to squeeze out more product than you need and waste it with each use. With the pots, you only use the amount of product you needing my dabbing in your concealer brush. I will not wear eyeshadow without one of these MAC products ever! This is the best product on the market to avoid eyeshadow creasing and is must staple product! Your eyeshadow will last all day without creasing or flaking regardless of the weather climate.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 2:32:00 PM More reviews by adornedwithgrace

I actually only became interested in this product after seeing EnKore's (Makeup YouTube guru) video on concealing dark undereye circles. I have to say mine are some of the worse around and when I don't wear something to cover them up, people always ask me if I got any sleep or if I'm coming down with something, lol!I don't wear MAC foundations but I am guessing I'm in the range of NC35 and this does work pretty well with my skintone to provide a base for another concealer. I actually started just using this instead of an additional concealer and it seems to work just as well. I like the texture; thick but not too heavy and not so fine that I feel like it melts or gradually disappears. I haven't tried it yet as an eyeshadow base but I've heard from many others it does well as that too especially if you wear mineral eyeshadows. continued >>