BeneFit Cosmetics HOOLA

4.1

I cannot believe I havenít reviewed this yet! When I first used this, I pretty much detested it to the fullest degree. I just felt it looked too dark and muddy. It wasnít very forgiving. I have become more inept in the art of makeup brushes and how to apply makeup, and have come to really like this contouring wonder. As seen in my Benefit Dandelion beauty powder review, I realized when I use Hoola with a VERY light hand and an angled brush, it really accentuates my cheeks and adds a very realistic warmth that looks matte in finish w/ out any trace of orange. I would describe it an almondy brown. Whereas, Benefit Dandelion is a light pink beauty powder that compliments the sculpted look of Hoola, by making the cheek pop with its brightening affect. It looks so elegant, yet natural. Hoola of course works with many blush colors, but I really like the contrast these two products provide when used together.

on 11/26/2008 10:19:00 AM

Just OK, but I do like that fact that it is a very neutral color & very matte w/out sparkle, so it looks more like a real tan than a lot of other bronzers. It needs to be applied w/a very light hand, though, or else it will look like you have dirt on your face. I don't really like the box, either b/c it's not travel friendly/

on 11/1/2008 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG bronzer - love it! Why? Because it just never turns orange on my skin, which most bronzers do. One look at it and you can see why. It definitely doesn't have one bit of an orange tinge to it in the container. Some people might think it looks a little 'dead', but once on my skin, it seems to come alive and look really natural. It's texture is also very pleasant, and it doesn't have any frost or sparkles in it. I like that. After all, the last time I tanned my face years ago, I don't remember the sun leaving a frosty glow. A definite Benefit winner. I hope this product is never discontinued.

on 10/28/2008 9:14:00 PM

The things I like about this product are that is it matte - which for a bronzer is somewhat rare as many have sparkles or glitter (which is sometimes nice but sometimes you just want a matte bronzer) so you can use it just on your cheeks or lightly sweep it all over your face. I find that it is believeable when swept over the entire face becuase it does not have glitter. The packaging is kind of cute but the brush is pretty useless. The price can be a little steep but it does last forever.

on 10/22/2008 5:21:00 PM

I really like this! It's the bronzer I've been looking for. I decided to give this a try after using and loving Benefit Dandelion (which I use as a sheer blush). For reference, I have a lighter complexion, not super pale or "ivory" but on the fair side (with warm tones). I get some nice color in the summer without even trying, and was hoping to find a way to fake it as we go into winter. However, I didn't want anything shimmery, orange, or overly bronze. This, therefore, is perfect. It's a matte color that is a natural tan shade. Not bronze or orange. Just tan. I actually might try this as a brow color too as it looks a lot like tan eyeshadows that have worked well for this purpose. :) Anyway I apply this with a regular blush brush (bronzer brushes are usually too dense and pick up too much product and I over-do it). I tap it on my hand first, then sweep it cheeks once. That's all I need! It makes my cheekbones pop out like when they are tan from the sun. I am very impressed with this. Since it's matte, it's also great for contouring (jawline, nose, cheekbones, etc). The smell is sort of strange. I think it's supposed to be brown sugar, which is.. kind of cute. But I still prefer my cosmetic products to be fragrance free.

I knocked one point off because I feel this is too expensive for the product you get ($28), dislike the cardboard packaging, and the brush that comes with it sucks.

on 10/22/2008 5:02:00 PM

There is a God! I love, love LOVE this product. I have tried every bronzer on the planet. Other bronzers made me all glittery (and not "glowing" as promised), while enlarging my pores in the process (yes, mica enlarges those pores). Other bronzers made me look orange or red.

I read about Hoola as a great matte, non-glimmery bronzer and it also came highly recommended by my cousin. A year passed since it came recommended and cried over every stupid mineral bronzer I tried.

I finally said enough was enough, so I spent $30 on Hoola and it was the best $30 I have ever spent. I sweep Hoola on my face and it's the BEST color ever. Perfect tan without making my face streaky (granted I had to blend it a little). Perfect matte with no shiny, sparkly crap all over my face. And best of all? My pores look small again and the bronzer stays in place.

I have only used this product for a couple weeks, so now my only main concern is breaking out. So far, so good. I just hope that it doesn't happen because I don't know if you will be able to pry this product out of my hands!

***Update***
I had to give an update. I think I got a little too excited. This product ended up making me break out. I am very sad because I loved the matte finish. I am also seeing what a lot of reviewers are talking about when getting that "muddy" look. When I initially reviewed this, I was fairly tan, so this color was great. Now that we're in the winter months and I have my pale skin back, this product makes me look really muddy with just a little application and is NOT blendable on my pale skin. So, I am on the search again for the perfect bronzer........... I will hang on to it however for the summer months.

on 10/8/2008 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm not totally sold on this yet... maybe it's because I'm pale right now but it just don't look right on me. It makes my face look very muddy. I only use a vverryyy tiny bit of it because I'd look horrible if I put on too much.
I don't understand the hype on this but maybe I'll have to wait and judge it when I am tanner. I'm wondering if Laguna by NARS is better?

on 10/2/2008 12:04:00 AM

I obsess over this bronzer. Pefect for deeper olive tones, not a hint of orange which is fabulous. Its not really a bronze look, I think its more ove a tan one. With an easy hand its subtle and believable, remember a little goes a long way. I'm a huge fan, but even though I'm naturally tan year-round, I wean myself off of it by early october because its simply foolish to be summer tanned with snow on the ground. Big points w/ the packaging, I can't even count how many MAC Golden's I've broken its rediculous, I dare anyone to crack this in the handy little box. Chuck the pointless brush it comes w/ and invest in a nice big natural-haired kabuki.

on 9/26/2008 12:32:00 AM

I love Hoola. I got it on eBay so it wasn't as expensive as it is in Sephora. I had been using the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Blends bronzer, and it wasn't until I used Hoola that i realized what a tragic bronzer this is! One stroke of my brush picks up a nice amount of Hoola, whereas the Healthy Skin blends took a lot of coaxing to make it appear on my face. Hoola can look a little muddy on my cheeks if I apply just a tad too much, though (thus the one less lippie). But all in all it's a GREAT matte bronzer that gives a natural, healthy-looking glow.

Awesome bronzer,gives me a natural tan fall-summer.My absolute favourite bronzer coming a very close second is bourjois delice poudre
<3<3