November 27, 2014 | 953 users online

Liquid - MAC - Face and Body Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2009 5:37:00 PM More reviews by fruitball

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

PROS
1. Sheer with buildable coverage
2. A great value for the size of the bottle
3. Very natural looking (depends on application method)

CONS
1. Can be extremely irritating to the skin
2. Extremely difficult to wash out of makeup brushes
3. No oil control

MY SKIN
1. Acne prone
2. Oily/Acne Prone
3. Shade: N2

---

Before I bought MAC Face & Body foundation, I carefully read all the reviews and researched it like a madwoman before making the commitment to purchase. Seems the reviews were split on this particular item; either you love it or you hate it. When the MAC SUMO sale came around I bit the bullet and ordered a bottle (I've never been MAC color matched so I used the "Email an Artist" link on their website and got a suggestion based on the foundation color I use in a different makeup line).

Application methods (using Monistat Anti-Chafing gel as primer):

1. FINGERS
Some people say they just smear it on their face with their fingers. In practice this left and uneven, oily mess on my face. It highlighted every pore and dry patch and any tiny wrinkle was magnified. Had to wash off and start over.

2. SKUNK BRUSH
I used the Sonia Kashuk highlighting brush (aka Skunkicorn), and I also tried it with the Sonia Kashuk flat-top blush brush. It worked best with the Skunkicorn; the flat-top blush brush was too dense to spread the very liquid-y foundation properly.
Using the stippling/buffing method, this created a very sheer, even-toned and beautiful look to my complexion. It also eliminated that "oily" look from the finger application method. Set with loose powder and my skin looked almost flawless. You can also wait a couple minutes after application and apply another layer for more coverage.

3. SPONGE
First of all, if you use the sponge method (and with a good sponge; not the drugstore latex wedges) you should stipple your foundation on with it, not drag and smear it all over your face. Stipping gives a nice air-brushed finish when done correctly.
I did not try this method with this foundation because all I had were my Laura Mercier sponges and my cheapo drugstore wedges that I never use. With the difficulty I had removing the foundation from my skunk brush, I knew it would never fully wash out from my Laura Mercier sponge and would have to throw it out more frequently (LM sponges last up to two-months each). I didn't want to use the drugstore wedges because that was just setting myself up for failure.
The foundation itself seemed too liquid (it's very watery) to even use properly with a sponge, so I can't comment on how it looks with the sponge method.

---

The first day I used it (with primer + setting powder) it looked nice but got pretty oily quickly. I started using this foundation when summer started so I can't blame oiliness on the foundation too much. If you blot gently with paper or even cheap toilet tissue, it shouldn't disturb the foundation too much.

When I went to wash it off that night I noticed my skin was much more irritated that usual and a few cystic spots had begun to form. Against better judgment, I kept using it.

I have to say, before I started using this foundation, while I *am* acne prone and do have many acne scars, I had been following a regimen that left me with nearly clear, healthy looking skin. That changed after a couple weeks, however....

The next day I applied it as usual and went on with my day. By the afternoon my face was beginning to feel itchy and irritated. Thinking my reaction was due to the weather vs. the foundation, I just washed it off as usual that night and my skin looked even worse than the night before.

A couple weeks of doing this and these are the effects I noticed with my skin:
1. I do have oily skin, but my pores aren't very noticeable. After using MAC F&B for a period my pores became very pronounced.
2. My skin became more red, my old acne scars darkened substantially and were even more prominent.
3. Acne. I started developing cysts all over my face. I had been taking care of my skin and had not experienced cysts for MONTHS until I started using this foundation.
4. Skin seemed to be getting oilier and looked incredibly awful when I removed the foundation. As I said, I had been taking care of my skin and normally when I wash my makeup off my skin looked fairly clear, UNTIL I started using this foundation. My skin looked red with dark, purplish acne scars all over my face. What the!

----

I have no idea WHAT exactly in this foundation affected my skin so badly... but the only other foundation that messed up my skin in a similar manner have been Tarte's Smooth Operator and Peaches and Cream foundations (which are both terrible to remove from brushes/sponges if applied in that manner, just like MAC F&B foundation).

Discontinued use of MAC F&B for three weeks have been getting treatments from an esthetician to fix my skin after all that abuse.

I had some theories as to why my skin was so damaged/irritated from this foundation; maybe my foundation brush was too harsh? Maybe it was building up in the brush because it was so hard to remove, and THAT was messing up my skin?

I've come to the conclusion that it's simply the MAC Face & Body foundation itself. My sister had once used this foundation back in the day and I recall she had similar bad luck with it. There are tons of posts online about people who have had ill effects from this foundation, as well as people who rave about it and experienced no side-effects from it at all.

I say get this if you don't have trouble with MAC foundations, or are not acne prone in any way shape or form. I'm super jealous of anyone who can wear this daily without problems, as it does look very natural and nice when applied properly. If you have any doubts at all, get a sample and apply daily for a week and check for reactions.

55 out of 61 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 12:12:00 PM More reviews by danceandrejoice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love this foundation!!! I find this works great over my goopy sunscreens and also alone. I LOVE that is it is a bit sheer. I can have a slightly smoothed out look without looking like I'm overly made up. It sets quickly, so work fast. I put a light layer on, wait a minute or two and then put another light layer over/around my nose area to get extra coverage on a bit of redness. It lasts really well, leaves a slightly dewy finish, blots nicely and holds up. The large amount you get makes it cheaper or on par with most drugstore foundations.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by swirrlygrrl

Maybe good for ladies with very dry skin who want a dewy look. I returned this after 2 weeks of trying to make it work, during which I looked like an oil slick by 10 am, and had to touch up 3 and 4 times a day (note - I only have an oily nose, the rest is normal to dry!) Though colour matched by the SA, it became evident at home that C2 was too dark for me - while the foundation goes on sheer, not sheer enough to disguise the mismatch. All other colours were completely unsuitable.

On the bright side, I found it was buildable enough for my needs - tone down a bit of redness around my nose, even out of skin in the t-zone - I just needed to apply a thin coat, let it dry, then apply a second coat where I needed more coverage. I did find powder was needed to set it - my boyfriend had to wash his shirt one day when I forgot.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2009 1:34:00 PM More reviews by chrisie

Love this!!!! I can't believe I never tried this product.I stopped in the pro-store looking for a more sheer foundation.The artist reccommended this.I tried it this morning.Great finish! Very pleased with this. ^_^

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2009 11:55:00 AM More reviews by deniseontheinternet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love it, everyone should have this in their kit. Looks amazing, fresh and dewey on the skin. Works well on the body. I love using it on legs to give the look of a natural even tan or to create the look of wearing stockings. I use a shade darker then my skin tone mixed in with my body moisturiser every time I wear something that shows some skin!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2009 3:55:00 PM More reviews by jsantiago

This product is actually dirt cheap if you factor in the amount you get and how much you actually need to use to achieve great coverage. The packaging is also quite convenient, although it is not unusual for too much product to squirt out of the bottle's nozzle (but there's so much product, a little wasting doesn't seem too bad). My pros and cons for this product therefore are:
Pros:
1. Great value for money
2. Good colour range
3. Although it is sheer, you can layer this until you achieve full coverage.
4. Its waterproof. Really. Be ready to buy a oil based remover to get this off without having to scrub your face to oblivion.
5. If you are sufficiently patient and have the time and energy to devout a half hour of your mourning just to getting your foundation right, then this is the foundation for you. After blending, blotting, setting, this looks fairly amazingly good.
Cons:
1. Its very liquidy but dries very fast which actually makes blending far harder than MAC advertises. It really takes a couple of tries until you manage to perfect the art of putting this on.
2. If trying to achieve full coverage, it will take you some time to put this on. If you like being ready in a jiff whilst enjoying full coverage, this is not for you.
3. The finish is not natural, its very very dewy to oily. And mind you, my skin is dry! But when I have this on it makes it look like I'm an oily teenager in desperate need of some clearasil. Blarg. I have to use setting powder over the foundation to counter that, which, although it works, is an extra step in my make up routine.
4. If you don't set this with powder it will rub off and transfer and will not last all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 9:21:00 AM More reviews by mooks06

MY HG!!!!!!! I love this stuff. Lasts all day on me when set with powder, provides a fresh flawless/yet natural look and c1 is a perfect colour match for me. I don't have perfect skin, but don't like heavy cakey foundations - this provides me with coverage, yet leaves me looking not "made up" 100% will buy forever

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2009 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Simplicity310

OMG! I think I've found my HG. I use to wear tons of makeup and "had" to have a full coverage foundation to cover my acne scarring. However, a few years ago I realized that less is more and you should rely on a concealer to conceal....

This is the first foundation that I've used that's sheer but buildable and gives the skin a beautiful glow. When I pair this with my MAC select cover up concealer...I look absolutely flawless...almost airbrushed. I'm so upset with myself for not considering this gem sooner as it's been out since they launched MAC.

Now let's just see how my skin likes it..........

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2009 4:00:00 AM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not a bad foundation, looks natural and fairly light. I would recc to ladies who want a natural, sheer finish with moderate coverage (fairly build-able as well). However, not my HG by any means. Like all other foundations I've ever used, it doesn't work so great with my oily skin. The staying power isn't that great and it tends to get oily and feel CAKEY after a few hours. The search continues...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2009 7:12:00 PM More reviews by annachristina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wear this in C9 and love it because it doesn't feel heavy or look like I'm wearing makeup.

***The C9 shade has been discontinued***

Update: 1/28/13-C9 was discontinued a few years ago. On a recent excursion to MAC, I was telling the MUA that I used to use it and loved it. She told me to give C7 a try. It comes in a smaller bottle now, but is still the formula that I remember-light, airy, melts into my skin. Gives me a sheer layer of color that looks like my skin. No oxidizing red or orange. Doesn't melt off my face. My skin doesn't give me too much trouble and I don't have any issues beyond a little hyperigmentation (which this covers). It's perfect coverage for me on the 'no makeup' look days, taken on vacation when I don't need a full face, church, brunch, or just running errands.