October 23, 2014 | 938 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2008 12:07:00 AM More reviews by bellybo

I asked a make-up artist at MAC to show me their paint pots, and I was stunned when she painted Painterly straight -over- the eye makeup I was wearing. I couldn't even tell I had been wearing eye-shadow at all! It stayed smooth and soft with a nice, somewhat powdery texture, and it really keeps my eye-shadow from creasing, even during a dance performance. It took me a few tries to get the hang of pat-pat-patting it on, but now I can do it like a pro.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2008 3:26:00 AM More reviews by MissRini

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really love the concept here: a product that acts as a primer for the eyelid to make eyeshadow stay longer and remain true to colour....BUT.....my eyelids ended up red and burning. I NEVER react to eye products, so this was unusual. Needless to say, I am returning it and would not buy it again. Such a shame :(

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2008 6:15:00 AM More reviews by maconmyface

This is a pinkish flesh tone matte cream product. I have been using this alone or as an eyeshadow base and it works great, lasts all day without creasing. The only downside for me is that i am NC30/C3 and this is too pink for me. I wish I bought Soft Ochre instead, but I can get buy with this until I finish the product. I don't feel I need to go out and purchase Soft Ochre because Painterly blends in fine and gets the job done. I apply with my finger, or sometimes with a MAC 217 brush to blend it out. This can also be used as a subtle highligher for the face, if you're like NW35 or darker. This is also nice to use over lip balm for a nude lip.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2008 7:48:00 PM More reviews by plussize1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

a new top products for me.
i have oily eyelids and this is the best! i have tried a lot of primers (paula dorf eye primer, beneift lemon-aid) and this is the only thing that seems to work. (i still want to try UDPP but hopefully they will repackage it b/c to me it seems a waste...)
anyway i find painterly lasts longer on me when applied with a brush. still not sure if the color is right for me yet i am nc15 and it tends to turn my shadows a little purple???
love that you get so much product too!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Justify_my_Love

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my first Paint Pot. Painterly is a nude, pinked beige without shimmer. It makes an amazing eye shadow primer. I especially love to use this as a base for my Nars eyeshadows (in my opinion, the quickest to fade) and they actually stay all day! A little goes a long way with this. I use the MAC 242 brush to blend this on my eyelids. EDIT: You know what...this is too pinkish on my eyelids. It gives my eyeshadows a greyish or purplish tint. MAC's Bare Canvas paint is much better in color than this. Still though, I'm giving it 4 lippies for quality.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2008 9:21:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I never really understood the paint pots, and hated cream eye-anythings, because they all creased like mad on my super-oily lids.
After reading that it can be used as a base, and to punch up the colour of shadow, and just the solid information in general, off I went to buy it.
Now? It's like I have an entirely new makeup collection. Where before I had to sweep and sweep and sweep to get Trax to even show up, it's there in spades (and deeper and truer) after one swipe. Everything looks stronger but is still workable - no blotching. Over a 12-hour day, I had a little creasing around hour 8 - but that's precious little to complain about (really!)...
My additional reticence was in having an extra step in the morning; but I just use my fingers to quickly apply and it's done. The difference in the finish and generally more polished look that the paint pots give to the overall look is phenomenal.
Painterly is on me a totally neutral base - evens out my lid colour.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2008 11:38:00 AM More reviews by jamiefragrance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this is the best eye shadow base in the world. It never creases on my lashes throughout the entire day, no matter what I'm doing. My shadow looks just applied all day long. And this is a great color that looks grat on many different shades of skin. For more dramatic paint pot colors, beware of smudging during application.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 4:20:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is probably one of my top 5 favorite products ever! It gives your shadow the best staying power and works with a variety of shadow colors. I even wear this alone with liner sometimes and get compliments on how pretty and natural my eyes look. I have had this paint pot for a year and haven't even made a dent in it yet. This is the best basic base you can get for your shadow. It goes on smoothly and doesn't smudge or crease, another great product by MAC!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 2:08:00 AM More reviews by spyglassweb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I first bought the Paint Pot in the Ocher color. The staying power is great and it really covers and evens out my highly pigmented lids and helps eyeshadow not budge.. However there was something off on the color and I was always quickly covering it with shadow. Being just a base, I didn't mind this too much...until I tried Painterly.

This color is just the best. A total neutral, with just a bit of brightening. I can wear this alone, for a neutral look, or under shadow. I apply all the way up to my brow bone and it it still light enough to act as a subtle highlight.

This color is just awesome, I have been searching for this for 4 years. Found my HG!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by skelterhelter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this paint pot has triumphed as HG over my beloved Rubenesque! While Rubenesque is still insanely gorgeous, nothing beats the multi-functionalality of Painterly. This matte, flesh-toned paint pot can be used as a base for ANY eyeshadow; it can be used as an all-over wash by itself to brighten up the lid; it can conceal unsightly blemishes or undereye circles, and can even be used to blend out harsh lines on your eyeshadow (serves as a highlighter in a pinch too)! What can't this paint pot do?! Sure, it's probably just a glorified concealer, but it still rocks. Will definitely re-purchase!