MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 2/26/2009 12:31:00 PM

Standard in my makeup collection as it works great as a primer and base. Repurchased this many, many, many times.

on 2/26/2009 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I picked this up for the first time when I heard about it from the Makeup Geek TV on youtube. This is a highly-pigmented matte shadow., which dries pretty quickly. It's a bit darker than NW15...so if you are NW20 or a little darker it should work for you to make a neutral shadow. It's nice to also use in the inner & outer corners of the eyes to mask any bluish discoloration from veins. I just pat it on with my fingertips, very easy to use.
Also - I find it difficult to use as a base, bc it's just too hard to get the next shadow to blend over the top - so I use it by itself.
COLOR: I really wish it were more of an NW15 to brighten up my eye area.
TIP: I also use this over my lips to matte out the natural color and prepare them for liner and lipstick/or gloss. It works very well for that as a type of primer.
This was around $16 or so, and comes in a glass pot with plastic lid.

on 2/26/2009 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to like it! I wanted to use it as a neutral base for matte looks, but it just doesn't work --> it creases after like 2 or 3 hours :-( and i have no idea why!! nothing like my other paintpot rubenesque, which works perfectly and lasts all day long...
really dissapointed by this one!
i've heard that some people also use it on their lips to get a nude look, think I'll try that next...

on 2/25/2009 10:21:00 PM

it's good, but I like my UDP much more.

on 2/25/2009 9:05:00 PM

Of the dozen or so paint pots I own Painterly is the first one I've been dissapointed with. I swapped for this so that I would have a neutral matte base to wear with my matte shadows. Specifically I was looking for a base to wear under Blanc Type. I am NW15 and Painterly turned Blanc Type orange on my lids after appx 6 hours of wear. It was really, really ugly. I also tried Painterly under a darker e/s and I wasn't impressed. I just felt like this sucked the color out of my shadows, which is ironic since all the other paint pots I've ever used made my e/s more vibrant. I recently swapped it away for TFSI and am much happier. I still love paint pots in general and Painterly had great texture and didn't crease. This color in particular just did not work for me.

on 2/17/2009 9:43:00 PM

This is one of the best eye shadow bases I have ever used. It goes on very smooth and creamy...it is also a great nude color to match my skin tone. It also makes my eye shadow pop and look smooth...I really, really love this stuff...I use it everyday!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have been using this as an eyeshadow base. Bases by Lancome and Estee Lauder would cause my eyes to break out in pimples over eyelids. Those weren't pretty and they hurt! So far, no problems with breakouts, and it helps my e/s last at least 6 hours. Will buy again!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Use: I use this as a primer.

Feel: This has the consistency of a cream eyeshadow. It blends easily over my lid with either my finger or a brush. It is not too dewy or sticky provided I don't put it on too thick. However, I accidentally left the lid off for a few hours and now it is more difficult to smooth out.

Smell: I don't notice a smell.

Price: It is $16.50 for 5 grams or .17 fl. oz. Even if used daily it should last you a while. Per once it is more than UDPP and TF Shadow Insurance.

Sensitivity Issues: My eyes are sensitive and this does not cause them to burn or water.

Performance: The PaintPot definitely makes colors more vibrant when applied and makes blending a breeze, very similar in that respect to the Shadow Insurance. However, my eyeshadow creases easily and the wear on this is not as long as the Shadow Insurance. I find I can go about 6 hours without a crease. There are situations where I feel this is better than the Shadow Insurance, such as when I just want to put something on my lids and head out the door or when I am using loose eye shadows or pigments as I feel that they adhere better to the PaintPot.

on 2/10/2009 6:47:00 AM

a very very good eye base for makeup that doesnt crease on me! helps shadows stay longer-espescially when you are foiling them. colour is neutral beige so fits any fair or medium skin tone. i only wish it was a bit more sticky so that glitter would stick too

love, Love, LOVE! I neverrrr leave my house wearing eyeshadow without wearing my painterly paint underneath! Why spend the money on eyeshadow when it doesn't last on? Might as well invest in a paint to ensure that i'm getting MAX lasting power, wear and intensity of every one of my eye shadows! Especially for clients (ie:on sets and for brides who need to be in their makeup for super long hours!) Even on it's own, i find it really evens out the colour of my lid and brighten my eye area instantly! Best choice in colour of the bunch because i can layer any colour on top of it (since it's so neutral/nude), without having to worry about my eyeshadow colours being altered! Groundwork works great in replacement of Painterly for tanned or darker skin tones. Love the paint tubes also, and they do keep my eyeshadow in place slightly longer than the paint pots, but the pots have a much smoother application an d intensify the look/pigment of my eyeshadow just as good!

Top Rated MAC Products