September 2, 2014 | 1869 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 2:08:00 AM More reviews by spyglassweb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I first bought the Paint Pot in the Ocher color. The staying power is great and it really covers and evens out my highly pigmented lids and helps eyeshadow not budge.. However there was something off on the color and I was always quickly covering it with shadow. Being just a base, I didn't mind this too much...until I tried Painterly.

This color is just the best. A total neutral, with just a bit of brightening. I can wear this alone, for a neutral look, or under shadow. I apply all the way up to my brow bone and it it still light enough to act as a subtle highlight.

This color is just awesome, I have been searching for this for 4 years. Found my HG!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2008 8:27:00 PM More reviews by skelterhelter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this paint pot has triumphed as HG over my beloved Rubenesque! While Rubenesque is still insanely gorgeous, nothing beats the multi-functionalality of Painterly. This matte, flesh-toned paint pot can be used as a base for ANY eyeshadow; it can be used as an all-over wash by itself to brighten up the lid; it can conceal unsightly blemishes or undereye circles, and can even be used to blend out harsh lines on your eyeshadow (serves as a highlighter in a pinch too)! What can't this paint pot do?! Sure, it's probably just a glorified concealer, but it still rocks. Will definitely re-purchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2008 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Nokomi

It's a great base! It' matches perfectly with my skin and it does not crease. I find it can make your shadows stick a bit too much and look heavy, so I apply a small amount and sometimes do my hightlight first so it doesn't stick to those areas.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2008 2:03:00 PM More reviews by JGarfield

I love MAC Paint Pots, and this is one color I use almost every day. It is the perfect nude color for my NW 20 skin. I have hyperpigmented lids and it looks like I am always wearing maroon colored shadow, but this color creates a perfectly nude lid ready for whatever shadow I want to apply! In order to have a flawless application on my older dry lids, I need to make sure my lids are well hydrated and then primed with UDPP before I apply any Paint Pot otherwise my lids look ultra crepey and wrinkly. With these little extra steps my lids look perfect all day. I have also used my finger to pat on and a stiff flat foundation brush and I like the brush application better. I will buy again for sure but I don't know if I will ever need to because the pots contain so much! And the jars are so adorable...I love the heavy glass and black lids!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2008 10:25:00 PM More reviews by prinzcess_ayu

I love this product...love love love it... i'm having problems with my oliy lids and always creasing everytime i applied my eyeshadow. Same happen to my sister but she got more worse situation than i do...her eyelid type makes all eyeshadow/pigment creased on her eyelid. one day i asked her to put this product and she applied green pigment on her eyelid. she watch tv, she sleep, she wake up and washed her face with tap water and went to the kitchen to help my mother. n then my mother asked, what's the green on ur eyes? and then i said what?the eyeshadow is still there...? wow, this product is really great.....it creaseless, waterproof, and stay for hours!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2008 7:05:00 PM More reviews by wslam00

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this paint pot! It has become one of my 5 must-have items in my makeup bag. My other 4 musts are MAC mineralize skinfinish natural powder, MAC blacktrack fluidline eyeliner, Lancome hypnose mascara and MAC satin taupe. It was originally my new find to prevent my greasy/oily asian lids from smearing my waterproof eyeliner..yep even waterproof eyeliner would smear all over my under eye! Gross, I know! It is a GREAT skin colored eyeshadow base (I'm NC 25 and it is slightly lighter) without shimmer or chunks of glitter that are in the other paint pots and there is plenty in there! It comes in a cute glass jar with a black lid. There is so much in there that I actually split the paint pot with my sister and we're both happy! I've had this current pot for over a year and I still have a good 1/2 of it in there! I put this all over my lids to even out the color even if I wear no eyeshadow. When using shadow with it, the eyeshadow doesn't crease, eyeshadow is very vivid, and keeps eyeliner on all day! I will continue to re-purchase!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Mamakitty14

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG! I have allergies and many times my eyelids are wet and this is the only product that keeps my eyeshadows from creasing. I love it. I use a taklon brush from the art supply store to apply then smooth with my fingertips. I usually apply MAC Schroom over it for a nice base then my Kat Von D shadows (my new favs) over that. It seems like a lot of layers but it works for me. I can't live without this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by madddiemom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I started having problems with UDPP. It was making my eyelids burn. It felt warm when I applied it, so I gave Painterly a try and I'm so glad I did. It works beautifully on my oily lids. I've been using it under my NARS Best palette and my shadows last the entire school day. I really couldn't believe it. It feels kind of sticky when applied, but I guess that holds the eye shadow in place. I have been using it for a few weeks and I'm very impressed. I will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 12:27:00 AM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I normally use UDPP as a base, but I use other things as well just depending on what look I am trying to achieve. I use Painterly Paint pot over my UDPP when I need more coverage over my lid and when I have the time!

Alone without the UDPP this goes on kinda tacky. I use a foundation brush to apply it with UDPP underneath. I have dry allergy afflicted eyes and lids so I shouldn't be wearing makeup at all right now!

I took off one lippie because I can't apply it without UDPP underneath and get a flawless affect. However, Painterly Paint Pot has coverage that UDPP does not. I love both far too much to use one without the other!

UPDATE: I have noticed my eyeshadow works so much better with UDPP. Painterly PP was drying out my lids and after a while the color was wearing down in my crease (UDPP never does that to me)! Also, NYX jumbo pencil in Milk is much better at bringing out the vibrancy of colors than Painterly. If I had to repurchase today I would pass because dry lids are painful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 10:32:00 PM More reviews by boogiepimp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ok, so all primers have pros and cons to them. A lot of people are saying they may prefer UDPP for its' non-creasiness and durability in keeping your eyeshadow application and they are right. Some like Too-Faced Shadow Insurance as well as it's very similar to UDPP but with better packaging and it allows maybe just a touch more blend-ability with eyeshadow application. However, Painterly Paint Pot is so great in its' own right as well. I like how it's such a opaque creamy nude color which is great for going over any eyelid color or blood vessel flaws and I also like how it leaves a thicker layer compared to UDPP, so it smooths out your eyelid. Lastly, I like how it leaves a creamy application which makes it easy for more powdery products like pigment powders, or mineral eyeshadows to stick to (aside from using a cream base). If you get oily lids and are using this on it's own and expect it to last crease-free and not let any of your eye makeup slide for longer than an 8-hour day, you're wrong....as eventually it may crease a bit or some of your shadow may slide just a bit (depending on how oily you get) but if you just use UDPP or even Too-Faced Shadow Insurance, you'll get a longer, crease-free hold, but your shadows will not blend as easily.
Solution? For a truly long-wearing look that will last probably a day and a half, use UDPP or Too-Faced Shadow Insurance as your initial base and then use Painterly Paint pot on top to help with your actual application and blending. Using both products for me anyways, is not necessary for a regular day at work when I'm out for about 10 hours a day and then back home, but for a super-long day, you'll appreciate the benefits of both products. Love the packaging and how you can use your finger or a brush.
It lasts a long time as well considering daily use. If you don't have oily eyelids than you will probably find using this alone may suit your needs and you don't need anything else.

22 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No