MAC Pro Longwear Foundation

3.8

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 4.7% Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Trimethyl Pentaphenyl Trisiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Tribehenin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Bis-Peg/Ppg-14/14 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Dimethicone, Phenyl Methicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Methicone, Tetramethyl Hexaphenyl Tetrasiloxane, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Laureth-7, Hexyl Laurate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Dimethicone Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin [ /- Mica, Iron Oxides (C) 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (C) 77891, Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288) [September 17, 2010]

on 9/26/2010 3:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I had high expectations for this foundation after reading everyone's glowing reviews but yes, it is that good. I bought it in NC15, which is slightly less yellow than the same shade in Studio Fix Fluid. It feels less thick than Studio Fix Fluid and is a good transition foundation if you like light foundations in the summer and want something with better coverage for the fall/winter. It feels nice, goes on matte, stays on your face, no transfer. I have dry skin, so I was worried this would show my dryness more, but no it's perfectly fine. I apply it with the Sigma f80 stippling brush, only use one pump, you don't need to set it, lovely finish. Love it.

on 9/26/2010 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Overall rating is 5* because this is the best feeling foundation ever. It feels like I have nothing on my skin while providing buildable coverage. I love the way this foundation feels... hands down the most natural foundation ever. Its not oil based but silicone based according to MAC MUA. No oils so my t-zone stayed oil free and lasted all day. I really would like to dock it a star based on color matching. The color range available is quite limited and I am having to mix NC 45 and NC 50 to achieve my perfect match which sucks but oh well...I still love it.

I must be the minority, but I really don't like this foundation. No matter how I apply it, it looks cakey and it's really hard to blend! Maybe I'm not applying it right (I just use a foundation brush) but it looks so heavy and awful!! I like studio fix so much more since it looks amazing on me but that breaks me out. this doesn't seem to break me out but I really don't like the look. It does last quite a while, but as the day goes one, it looks more and more heavy. I'm scared that this is ruining my skin! I'm going back to my HG Maybelline dream liquid mousse since that one gives perfect coverage, applies beautifully with your fingers and it's cheap! Though it doesn't last as long, I'd rather reapply a beautiful foundation than have a cakey one stay on all day. I gave this 3 lippies though because it didn't break me out, the color was good, it lasted and I'm hoping that it's my application that's the problem and not the foundation itself. If anyone has a really good way of applying this, please please please message me! thank you!

UPDATE: My rating stays at 3 lippies but I've found that this foundation doesn't look as awful as I thought it did. I applied it with a different foundation brush and put tiny bits on and blended super fast. It's so hard to blend and I have to drag at my face (which can't be good for my skin) to get it to blend! I wouldn't say it dries fast though because it's very sticky and tacky, making it impossible to apply concealer to the undereye area without pulling and tugging. Also, even after all that work, the results do not look as nice as SFF. The product is impossible to wash out of the brush since it seems to glue the bristles together even when I'm washing my brushes every day with the harshes soaps I can find, double washing it. The pump is ok, but honestly, I'd rather have the bottle of the SFF just because the pump makes it look ugly. I will definatly not repurchase and I'll go back to SFF.

***UPDATE AGAIN: I've finally tried it with a stippling brush and I simply hate this foundation! It makes me look old and like I caked on foundation no matter how I blend. It sinkes into pores and lines and just makes me look so bad and gives me no coverage! It's so hard to blend, but never dries. I just hate this foundation, and it looks so awful in natural and artificial lighting. I'd never ever repurchase, especially not for almost $40 CAD after taxes.

on 9/25/2010 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I am really loving this foundation. SFF has been my favorite for a long time, but my skin is quite oily and by the time I got home from work (6pm) it would be completely gone. This has the same coverage as SFF but I think that the texture is much better on this one because it's not as thick, it blends easier and doesn't feel as heavy. Even with my oily skin, this stays on me ALL day. I've worn it to work, at home, running around town, in the heat, in the cold and I've gotten the same results every time. My color is NW20 and I find it slightly less yellow that the SFF NW20 which actually works better for me because SFF was always a bit too yellow. So far I have no complaints about this foundation and I doubt that I will. This is a great product.

on 9/25/2010 10:37:00 PM

I am really liking this foundation. I have tried many long wearing foundations, and few are really long wearing for me. Most last 4 hours at best - EL DW lasted a little longer but was very drying. MAC Pro Longwear, however, is everything it claims. I find it to be very natural looking even in sunlight (EL DW was very heavy in sunlight). It really last all day - I really have to wash at night to get it all off. It is light on the skin, but covers pretty well. So far, it has not dried my face out. At first the SA typed me as NC20, and though okay, was a little too yellow. I exchanged it for NW20 which has the pink undertone that I need. I was afraid it was going to be too dark, but a single layer of the NW20 matches my skin pretty good. I just use the concealer to cover the hyperpigmentation. During the winter I may have to try the NC15 - I have the concealer in this color and it seems to have less yellow than the NC20 did. Either way, I will definately be buying this foundation again.
****EDIT***I still think this is a good foundation for someone who needs light to medium coverage. I have found, however, that I like the concealer a lot better, which is more a like a full coverage foundation. I focus on the sun damage on my skin and smooth it out over the rest of my face. Half a pump is all I need. I will save the foundation for days that I don't need as much coverage. Overall a good buy and would recommend to anybody looking for a light weight medium coverage foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This foundation is surprisingly good, as I haven't really liked MAC foundations til now. It's not the easiest foundation to use, and I've noticed that it doesn't look that great at first...but after it 'sets,' it's great. I use a 190 brush, then I buff on some Mineralized Skin Finish Natural in and woolah! it's beautiful. Stays on all day. Color seems too yellow at first (NC30), but then sets into a perfect shade. ****this does seem to oxidize. For me it oxidizes to the right shade, so keep that in mind as your choosing a shade!

UPDATE: My skin began looking awful, clogged pores, red splotchy areas...I didn't think it was the foundation, but yesterday I used BE instead and my skin immediately began to clear up. Today, it looks almost back to normal. I must be allergic to something in this. I'm very sad, as I really do love this foundation.

Another update: my clogged pores weren't from this foundation. I've tried several others since, and have come back to this one. I also love Lancome Teint Miracle, but it was melting off a little this summer. This foundation really is great. I'm loving it this summer.

on 9/25/2010 9:03:00 PM

This is great if U have normal to dry skin.I have NC25(which has a more yellow undertone than NW).I always use a primer-Studio Secrets through the t-zone,Laura Mercier regular primer for the rest of the face.when this is dry after a few minutes,I use the 130 stippling brush(HG!!) with 2 pumps of foundation.ProLongwear stays fresh -looking until it is removed.Another huge plus is that it has no fragrance like Revlon Colostay.Overall, I really love this one!

on 9/25/2010 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

COLOR: NC30: A little orange on me. Darker than usual. NC25 is too light. Thus the colour match isn't here for me. LASTING POWER: ...It was there by the end of the day, just in patches. It was gross, sorry guys, in my pores...honestly my skin looked just godawful. I'm really oily. Used Maybelline dream matte powder. (this was 12 hours later, had to powder throughout the day.) VS REVLON COLORSTAY: Wore colorstay the day after and it wasn't patchy. Colorstay wins. Bleh I duno, this didn't work for me at all. Felt heavy, looked fake. Applied with sponge.

If you like MAC liquid foundations you will like this one, if you like EL doublewear foundations u will like this one too (most probably! :)) if you like them both you will LOVE this foundation. I personally am not a fan of mac liquid foundations or EL's doublewear range and bought this out of curiousity when waiting for a friend the other day. I am light olive skinned and my skin is pretty much ok but with the odd red blemish here and there (after going to bed late with all my make up on a few times recently!) My HG is LM silk creme as i like a creamy foundation that gives a slightly dewy look. So, back to this foundation...it's 'ok' but i wouldnt re purchase. I use LM foundation in hazelnut beige a nice light tan shade, with mac i have problems the nw range is a little on the red-ish or pink side and the nc range tends to be very yellow. I got it in nc35 in the end and i overall its a good shade not orange, not too yellow. It goes on quite sheer which is somewhat suprising but you can use more foundation, and layer it, as long as you blend in well it wont leave a mask or look cakey. It does dry quickly though so if u want to ayer best to do it when the first layer is still damp on your skin afterwards will be harder and will look more obvious u are wearing foundation. It lasted all day, it did get a little blotchy and patchy on my forehead near my hair line mid day but overall looked very good. It seemed to also control my oily t zone a lot better than the LM foundation. After applying this in my bedroom once i was outside i got my mirror out and it looked VERY good, very natural much more so than my LM...It actually is EXTREMELY similar to EL doublewear sheer or light (cant remember the exact name now but the lighter version of the original doublewear) CONS and why i wont be repurchasing: I didnt find it very easy to apply, you have to blend quickly as it dried quickly...colours are so so but if u have a problem with mac shades u will have a problem finding a great match with this...and most importanly i like a slight glow, and this is a normal matte foundation that leaves my skin a little dull looking. After the initial application is dried its hard to reapply over it, so when i felt around 6pm i could do with touching it up slightly (it wasnt really needed but i was meeting a friend in a nice restaurant) it was hard, couldnt blend it in properly but like i said if u love the usual long lasting foundations u will love this, oh and if u have very dry skin i would not rec it, or even just dry skin...moisturise very very well first if u do go ahead and buy it.

on 9/25/2010 12:12:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For reference, I am NC20 and wear Estee Lauder Double Wear in 1N1 Ecru, Revlon Colorstay in Buff, Max Factor Miracle Touch in 040. I have combination skin, but dry patches are relatively under control, and oily parts are not excessively oily. Now on to the review....

I got a sample of this that has been enough to last me 3-4 days. I got a sample in NC20 and the first thing I noticed, that this had more yellow in it than other MAC foundations, eg Studion Fix Fluid. I am more neutral leaning and found the undertone too yellow. I did notice that this does come in a pump bottle, which I always like, as it allows for easy dispensing, avoids wastage and is more hygienic.

I have tried 3 methods of application- fingers, Sephora 55 foundation brush and Sonia Kashuk knock off of the Beauty Blender sponge. Of the three, I found the brush application gave the most even coverage. It gives a medium coverage, which is build-able, and unlike EL DW and Revlon Colourstay, the finish is slightly glowy, but without the glitter of Photoready.

This foundation claims to last all day, and I appear to be in the minority, as it definitely does not last all day on me. I am not excessively oily, and I don't do loads of exercise, so its not as if I could have sweated it all off. Removing it at the end of the day, there is very little left. Of all the Longwear foundations, I have tried, this is definitely the least long lasting.

Ultimately, I would not buy again, as it is not long wearing like it claims to be, and the undertone is far too yellow for me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials