April 17, 2014 | 1821 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2003 5:11:00 AM More reviews by TammysBushed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Chanel #5 has been a staple in my fragrance wardrobe since the 1980's. I remember the first time I smelled it was when a friend of mine was wearing it and I thought it smelled "too old." However, I tried it on in the store a few years later and I absolutely fell in love with it and have been wearing it ever since. I think #5 is one of those love or hate fragrances with nothing in between. I also love the scene in Peggy Sue Got Married where Peggy Sue has gone back in time, arrives home, hugs her mom and then says that Chanel #5 always reminds her of home. It's a classic!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2003 8:19:00 PM More reviews by moosie

this is the first perfume i ever got as a gift. loved it then and still love it now. it takes a few seconds to sink in and when it dries, it's a powdery ladylike scent. classy and elegant. not what i wear when i want to feel hip but it's the only thing i want to wear when i want to feel elegant and sophisticated. and the bottle is so beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2003 1:15:00 PM More reviews by PixyAnne

Sometimes I forget why I love this fragrance so much, until I get to try it again and take advantage of those little paper samples. I'm always reminded of what made me love it in the first place. Like the reviewer below said, it's the scent that reminds everyone how girls are supposed to smell. It's distinctly female and classicaly sophisticated, but never comes on too strong for me. It has both woodsy musk and thick floral notes, but can also be sexy and fresh from time to time. When I spritz it on at the department store counter I suddenly feel like a real lady, and no longer the 19 year old suburbanite that I am. It's always a little strong at first, but I love how it fades into a sweet musk, one that reminds me of teardrop diamond earrings and lavish fur stoles. If you ever want to splurge on a priceless classic when you don't want to smell cheap or predictable, go for this.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2003 11:08:00 AM More reviews by BunnyH

I hate this perfume...it reeks to the heavens!!! It's just an awful sickly sweet smell. Ugh!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/10/2003 5:52:00 PM More reviews by mommysteph

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love the concept and history of this fragrance but despise its smell, it always smells stale to me. Lanvin Arpege is so much more appealing, it fits the bill for a wearable, complex, grown up, classic fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2003 4:22:00 AM More reviews by cabaretgirl

Ah, the memories of this product. Both my mother and my grandmother wore this fragrance. I remember in the summer my Nana would keep her bottle in the fridge and spritz herself with it before going out. What glamorous days those were. I wanted so badly to be able to wear this fragrance but can't do so too often as it causes me to have a miagraine pretty frequently (not every time though, it's a game of chance). My husband even bought me the real perfume and sadly it goes unused. At least I have the memories of the wonderful legacy that Chanel created.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2003 7:24:00 PM More reviews by HopeB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently "re-discovered" Chanel no. 5 after receiving EDP samples from Sephora, and I love it! Previously, I had only smelled it on a test strip, where it smelled completely different. But on my skin it gives off a soft, warm and elegant aura, which I find both sophisticated and comforting. Kind of a glamourous, yet clean feel. So, I HIGHLY recommend you try it on, even if you don't *like* it on a test strip.
UPDATE: I have both the EDT & EDP-the EDT is lighter,more "airy" while EDP has a richer bottom note (amber?)present in the drydown, which I love. I read that Coco Chanel wanted no.5 to smell like the famous beauty Emilienne d'Alencon, because "she smelled good, she smelled clean." I think she succeeded...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2003 4:08:00 PM More reviews by arabelle

This was the first perfume I ever experienced as my mother wore no other parfum but Chanel No. 5. That may bias me towards it, but no matter. Whilst I find it comforting to wear, it has always reminded me of sheer elegance and grace. It gently trails around one, enveloping in its warm, powdery accords.

Aldehydes domniate the top notes, then rose and jasmine heart notes mingle with sandalwood,vanilla and a touch of vetiver in the base notes.
This is a fragrance I will keep with me for all time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2003 11:21:00 AM More reviews by legaleagle

I absolutely adore this fragrance. I am in love with it. It is so classic and smells quite lovely on me. I bought the gift set with the Eau de Parfum, the shimmer lotion, and the bath gel. It just smells so good to me. My husband also loves it! I know it is one of the best selling perfumes in America, and I can see why. Very sexy fragrance that lasts all day. As Coco herself said, "Where it anywhere you want to be kissed." Who can argue with that?

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2003 1:29:00 AM More reviews by akumahime

I don't like the fragrance at all. It smells grandmotherly.