December 20, 2014 | 830 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2009 9:14:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this as an eyeshadow base. Bases by Lancome and Estee Lauder would cause my eyes to break out in pimples over eyelids. Those weren't pretty and they hurt! So far, no problems with breakouts, and it helps my e/s last at least 6 hours. Will buy again!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2009 4:58:00 PM More reviews by HeatherLouWho

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Use: I use this as a primer.

Feel: This has the consistency of a cream eyeshadow. It blends easily over my lid with either my finger or a brush. It is not too dewy or sticky provided I don't put it on too thick. However, I accidentally left the lid off for a few hours and now it is more difficult to smooth out.

Smell: I don't notice a smell.

Price: It is $16.50 for 5 grams or .17 fl. oz. Even if used daily it should last you a while. Per once it is more than UDPP and TF Shadow Insurance.

Sensitivity Issues: My eyes are sensitive and this does not cause them to burn or water.

Performance: The PaintPot definitely makes colors more vibrant when applied and makes blending a breeze, very similar in that respect to the Shadow Insurance. However, my eyeshadow creases easily and the wear on this is not as long as the Shadow Insurance. I find I can go about 6 hours without a crease. There are situations where I feel this is better than the Shadow Insurance, such as when I just want to put something on my lids and head out the door or when I am using loose eye shadows or pigments as I feel that they adhere better to the PaintPot.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2009 6:47:00 AM More reviews by maggiealex

a very very good eye base for makeup that doesnt crease on me! helps shadows stay longer-espescially when you are foiling them. colour is neutral beige so fits any fair or medium skin tone. i only wish it was a bit more sticky so that glitter would stick too

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 8:22:00 PM More reviews by cathymakeupart

love, Love, LOVE! I neverrrr leave my house wearing eyeshadow without wearing my painterly paint underneath! Why spend the money on eyeshadow when it doesn't last on? Might as well invest in a paint to ensure that i'm getting MAX lasting power, wear and intensity of every one of my eye shadows! Especially for clients (ie:on sets and for brides who need to be in their makeup for super long hours!) Even on it's own, i find it really evens out the colour of my lid and brighten my eye area instantly! Best choice in colour of the bunch because i can layer any colour on top of it (since it's so neutral/nude), without having to worry about my eyeshadow colours being altered! Groundwork works great in replacement of Painterly for tanned or darker skin tones. Love the paint tubes also, and they do keep my eyeshadow in place slightly longer than the paint pots, but the pots have a much smoother application an d intensify the look/pigment of my eyeshadow just as good!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 7:56:00 PM More reviews by brandylee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So I decided to give this a go because I wanted to try this over TFSI to make my shadow last even longer (I'm looking for around 12 hours of wear)..This product couldn't look anymore like concealer to me lol..It's a great color and really evens out my lids, I guess like concelear would. I was suprised it was so thick though, I thought it would feel more like cream eyeshadow. It really accentuates my flakey lids (from TFSI I guess- happens with all primers I use) so I will need to find a good eye cream to add into my routine. This does a good job at preparing the lid for shadow, like others are saying- it really evens out skin and my eyeshadow seemed to stick to it pretty well..However, for me, it did not make my TFSI last much longer, but I guess 9 hours is ok. Not sure if I would repurchase but I may change my mind after I play around with this some more since I haven't used it by itself or with other brands of shadows yet aside from Ben Nye. Oh yea and I was also hoping it would help my liquid liner from creeping (it happens in the inner corners of my eyes over the course of about 8 hours) but this didn't help at all.
*update*
Without TFSI, this creased after like 3 hours :-( and even with a concelar brush (as some people recommended) I still can't get this on without it looking like crap!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 10:54:00 AM More reviews by mylychee

This is a good base for eyelids. It's such a nude color that it doesn't show much but creates a smooth canvas for my lids when applying eyeshadows. I have no complaint of the container since it gives it substance. It wasn't cheap but worth a try.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2009 11:09:00 PM More reviews by MARmaladeJay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product. I've heard so many good things about it. I do like how creamy it is and how smoothly it glides over. The color is perfect for my skin tone and the pot is so cute. But, used as an eyeshadow primer, it creased. So I returned it.

What really grinds my gears about returning make-up at the MAC counter is the girls are so snooty. The girl I returned it to was trying to convince me that it should work, when really she was trying to convince herself. I don't think she could handle that MAC doesn't always work for everyone. I wasn't sold at all! I know not all MAC sales associates are like that. But for some reason, I always get the snooty ones. Please leave your snooty attitudes at home.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2009 9:38:00 PM More reviews by stomishi

Love paint pots! Painterly is a nice matte flesh tone. Great for use as an eye shadow base.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2009 2:27:00 AM More reviews by belletrist9

I have mixed feelings about Painterly. Sometimes, I feel like it really brightens my eyes. Other times I feel like it's too pink and obvious for my skintone... It doesn't do anything for me as a base by itself, but it extends the wear time of UDPP from 5-6 hrs to 8-9 hrs, so it does make a difference for me, and is quite frankly the only reason I wear it. Maybe I would like rubenesque better. That being said, it is fairly creamy and easy to apply. I use my fingers. I do feel that it sometimes dries a little too fast and then I get hard edges, especially around my inner corners, but it's nothing I haven't been able to fix by smudging a little harder yet.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2009 11:52:00 AM More reviews by mgates31790

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this product as a base to put other eye shadows over and it also doubles as a great concealer