August 20, 2014 | 2005 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2007 7:01:00 PM More reviews by silkyskin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this in place of my regular moisturizer for my face (and actually my whole body). Right after I cleanse, I re-dampen my face slightly, put 4-5 drops in my hands and work it into my skin. At first, I got a few BIG blemishes in spots I don't normally get blemishes, but they cleared faster than normal. Now, after a month, my skin is less oily, feels more evenly hydrated, and doesn't break out in unusual places. It feels so nice and light, and I'm glad to know exactly what's in my moisturizer! Plus it works WAY better! I only wish the bottle dispensed the oil better. It's very messy. I can deal with that though since the benefits are SO great!
EDIT: This is actually causing blackheads for me. That's something I don't need. I am no longer using this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2007 10:35:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried a different brand I don't remember what's its name but I got it in a health food store, it comes in a very beautiful glass bottle like perfume. Anyways I think I must be allergic to it so I stopped using it, I don't remember what sort of reactions I had, I used to mix it into my homemade Ayurvedic moisturizer and I can't remember what happened but whatever reaction I got I immediately recognized it as one of the usual sorts of reactions I have when I'm allergic to something. So I took it out of my homemade Ayurvedic moisturizer and kept everything else the same and the reaction went away. Put it back in again: reaction! So I knew it had to be the jojoba oil, pity because it did seem so nice and promising. I also tried it on my hair but it didn't really seem to do anything for it, now obviously my hair didn't have an allergic reaction but it also didn't seem any healthier or more moisturized than before. So I've switched to coconut and sweet almond oils as my everyday staples and have great results! So ladies if you are allergic to jojoba oil or it just doesn't work for you for whatever reason, try almond and coconut oils instead. I use those as makeup removers, face moisturizers, in my hair, to help to get a healthy and long-lasting tan (not that I want a tan, I don't but since the sun is so strong here I can never avoid getting a tan so since I have to have one might as well get a healthy one).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2007 8:34:00 PM More reviews by ais4alison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for a couple of weeks now and I am pretty happy with the product. I took one lippie off though, because the packaging is awful and it's so messy to work with. But, as far as the product, it's great! I have very acne-prone irritable skin and this does not not break me out. I add a drop or two to my AM moisturizer (I use the Proactiv Refining Lotion) and it keeps all the flakies from my Retin A use at bay. It goes on a bit greasy, but it absorbs quickly and goes well under foundation/powder. In the PM, I use it as my make-up remover. I just slather it all over and then wipe it off with cotton squares before cleansing. After washing my face usually feels tight and stiff, but when I cleanse after using the oil, my skin is left soft, smooth and clean feeling. I haven't noticed any super miracle results, other than the fact it softens my skin and keeps flakes away, but I hope to see some long term results that others talk of... I definitely plan to keep this in my daily routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2007 3:53:00 PM More reviews by phitius

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love to soak in a nice hot bath with sweet smelling bath salts. The problem, this habit is very drying. I've started adding a few drops of this to my bath and it's made all the difference. I'm silky smooth and very moisturized.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2007 2:49:00 AM More reviews by Mamu1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews, and acknowledging that my skin needed some help, I picked this up at Trader Joe's for $6 and some change. The packaging sucks - easy to spill, sort of drips down sides of the bottle when you try to extract it in small drops - but don't judge an oil by it's bottle! I LOVE this so far! I find that it absorbs much quicker than I ever anticipated and doesn't leave me feeling or looking greasy - just with a nice *glow*. I've started using it on my kids as well. It's a great post-shower/bath moisturizer. And, after reading a previous review, I've started adding a drop to my proActiv repair lotion - it has really helped it be less drying on my skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2007 2:51:00 AM More reviews by suechtig

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Using this oil has literally saved my skin. I've been "blessed" with very oily skin prone to clogged pores, but the jojoba oil really helps to control the sebum secretions and loosen up the hardened oil in my pores (gross). It took a few weeks to see significant results, but it definitely has improved its texture and lightened my acne scars. The key is to use only 2-3 drops at a time (which can be hard to control due to the packaging) and to pat it on still damp skin. This really helps to "lock in" moisture. The oil itself has almost a velvety, smooth feel -- it's not at all heavy or greasy feeling. I use this as both my daytime and nighttime moisturizer, but usually it needs some time to absorb before I can put on s/s in the morning.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2007 11:02:00 AM More reviews by immonen

First off, if you have acne-prone skin, I would suggest people try this if they haven't. While I didn't have a good reaction to jojoba oil, I have heard many others who have said this is the only moisturizer that hasn't broken them out. Anyways, this stuff sucked for my skin. I only put one to two drops on a cotton ball, then applied it on my face. Contrary to other people's experiences, the oil did not absorb into my skin. In fact, it kind of just sat there, feeling really greasy and gross, clogging up my pores on the surface. It broke me out, particularly around my chin and face area. Won't buy again. I'll stick with the Dove Sensitive Skin Day Lotion until I find something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2007 12:12:00 AM More reviews by la_clique

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this oil! Have been mixing a few drops in with my moisturizer every night and using this in face masks. I have sensitive skin with rosacea and I have had no problems with breakouts or irritations.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2007 10:31:00 AM More reviews by EnjoyTheSilence

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

(Please click on 'Continued' at the bottom to see the paragraphed version of review.) LOVE! I have been using Desert Essence jojoba oil regularly for about 2.5 years now. In the distant past, I'd tried it several times but quit using it in my crazy quest for THE perfect product. (I have combination skin that is very acne prone & I'm almost 31 w/ ever-changing issues. No ONE product would help my unique skin issues; it takes an arsenal of pinpointed products, some of which are rotated depending on current needs.) Since then, I've learned that simple skincare is best. Jojoba oil has a firmly set place in my daily routine, despite the fact that the other products can change or rotate.My personal skincare needs include the following: thorough makeup removal (I use cleansing oil or makeup removal cloths); thorough skin cleansing (I use a non-alcohol, pH-balanced toner at night after makeup removal & a gel cleanser in the morning) ; rebalancing of skin's pH level to a slightly acidic condition (either an active BHA toner or glycolic acid product); disinfecting to prevent acne blemishes (Benzoyl Peroxide); moisturization & protection (various products!) Jojoba oil falls into the moisturization/protection category for me.Even though my skin can get quite oily in the T-zone, prior cleansing steps can sometimes strip or disturb the lipid barrier (especially when removing heavy makeup, which I wear on occasion.) Since jojoba oil mimics skin's own sebum, the lipid barrier is replaced (or at least somewhat rebuilt.) This is crucial for my acne-prone skin, since a disturbed lipid barrier on skin can leave skin open to irritation, which in turn causes more acne blemishes.I add a drop or two to my morning & evening moisturizer. I am a ProActiv system user & I regularly add a drop of jojoba oil to the 3rd step of ProActiv which is the Repairing Lotion. Other times, I'll add a drop to whatever other moisturizer I am using, depending on season & current skin moisturization needs. I won't be caught without jojoba oil! continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2007 8:07:00 PM More reviews by seahorselove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this oil. I have waist length hair, and I put a dime-sized drop n rub it in my hands, and then onto the ends of my hair. it works on wet and dry hair. It has kept my hair moist and tangle free, which i love!! I bought it at trader joes grocery store for about 6$ its sort of expensive for such a little bottle, but ive barely dented it and ive had it since last summer. It is by far the best hair product ive ever used. If I ever run out ill never stop repurchasing! There is nothing better to keep my hair condioned. It never leaves build up, and has no smell whatsoever, which im very sensitive to. id reccomend it to anyone with hair! LOL