December 19, 2014 | 1623 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2009 9:06:00 PM More reviews by cherrim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite product to use as an eyeshadow base or just to wear alone. It evens out the color of my reddish eyelids, smooths out the skin, and loose pigments adhere quite well. My eyelids are slightly dry. I find it is easy to blend with this as a primer (unlike UDPP which I find interferes with blending). No creasing all day if used as a base. The finish looks convincingly natural when I'm trying to go for the no makeup look.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2009 9:50:00 PM More reviews by ybabe

So I'm rushing to get to the MAC store by eight o'clock, which is when they were closing according to a phone call earlier that day. I couldn't get a park anywhere nearby, so I had to park miles away and RUN to the store. By the time I got there it was five minutes to eight and the glass door was shut. I smiled expectantly through the glass at one of the sales assistants, and she opened the door about an inch and said "we're actually closed." It wasn't even eight o'clock yet! I said "please, can you just let me in to buy one thing? I know exactly what I want." She pursed her lips and with a sour expression opened the door for me. "What did you want?" I had finally decided to buy a MAC Paint Pot in Painterly, and no disapproving sales lady was going to weaken my resolve! She acted like she was doing me a huge favor by allowing me to hand over my hard-earned cash five minutes BEFORE closing time, but with my Painterly Paint Pot safely tucked away in my handbag, I didn't care.

I honestly don't know why it took me so long to get Painterly. I have five other Paint Pots, none of them perfect: Soft Ochre is a little dry in texture, Groundwork is nice but a little boring, Cash Flow is very frosty, Rubenesque doesn't work with some of my more neutral eyeshadows and Quite Natural is too dark to use other than very sparingly. Despite their drawbacks, I love them all, but I think Painterly is going to become my favorite! It is definitely the most versatile of my Paint Pots, and works under just about any eyeshadow. It's true that there's not much color payoff, but I don't mind, as I'm a neutral girl at heart! Love this!

*EDIT* I think I was looking at Painterly with rose-colored glasses after lemming it for so long. Although I love the texture, I wish the color were a little darker, as it tends to make my paler eyeshadows look whitish. I still like it, but perhaps I don't love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Standard in my makeup collection as it works great as a primer and base. Repurchased this many, many, many times.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 12:16:00 PM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up for the first time when I heard about it from the Makeup Geek TV on youtube. This is a highly-pigmented matte shadow., which dries pretty quickly. It's a bit darker than NW15...so if you are NW20 or a little darker it should work for you to make a neutral shadow. It's nice to also use in the inner & outer corners of the eyes to mask any bluish discoloration from veins. I just pat it on with my fingertips, very easy to use.
Also - I find it difficult to use as a base, bc it's just too hard to get the next shadow to blend over the top - so I use it by itself.
COLOR: I really wish it were more of an NW15 to brighten up my eye area.
TIP: I also use this over my lips to matte out the natural color and prepare them for liner and lipstick/or gloss. It works very well for that as a type of primer.
This was around $16 or so, and comes in a glass pot with plastic lid.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2009 8:28:00 AM More reviews by tschueli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like it! I wanted to use it as a neutral base for matte looks, but it just doesn't work --> it creases after like 2 or 3 hours :-( and i have no idea why!! nothing like my other paintpot rubenesque, which works perfectly and lasts all day long...
really dissapointed by this one!
i've heard that some people also use it on their lips to get a nude look, think I'll try that next...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2009 10:21:00 PM More reviews by sweetie1528

it's good, but I like my UDP much more.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2009 9:05:00 PM More reviews by genica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Of the dozen or so paint pots I own Painterly is the first one I've been dissapointed with. I swapped for this so that I would have a neutral matte base to wear with my matte shadows. Specifically I was looking for a base to wear under Blanc Type. I am NW15 and Painterly turned Blanc Type orange on my lids after appx 6 hours of wear. It was really, really ugly. I also tried Painterly under a darker e/s and I wasn't impressed. I just felt like this sucked the color out of my shadows, which is ironic since all the other paint pots I've ever used made my e/s more vibrant. I recently swapped it away for TFSI and am much happier. I still love paint pots in general and Painterly had great texture and didn't crease. This color in particular just did not work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2009 9:43:00 PM More reviews by ksasr05

This is one of the best eye shadow bases I have ever used. It goes on very smooth and creamy...it is also a great nude color to match my skin tone. It also makes my eye shadow pop and look smooth...I really, really love this stuff...I use it everyday!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2009 9:14:00 PM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this as an eyeshadow base. Bases by Lancome and Estee Lauder would cause my eyes to break out in pimples over eyelids. Those weren't pretty and they hurt! So far, no problems with breakouts, and it helps my e/s last at least 6 hours. Will buy again!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2009 4:58:00 PM More reviews by HeatherLouWho

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Use: I use this as a primer.

Feel: This has the consistency of a cream eyeshadow. It blends easily over my lid with either my finger or a brush. It is not too dewy or sticky provided I don't put it on too thick. However, I accidentally left the lid off for a few hours and now it is more difficult to smooth out.

Smell: I don't notice a smell.

Price: It is $16.50 for 5 grams or .17 fl. oz. Even if used daily it should last you a while. Per once it is more than UDPP and TF Shadow Insurance.

Sensitivity Issues: My eyes are sensitive and this does not cause them to burn or water.

Performance: The PaintPot definitely makes colors more vibrant when applied and makes blending a breeze, very similar in that respect to the Shadow Insurance. However, my eyeshadow creases easily and the wear on this is not as long as the Shadow Insurance. I find I can go about 6 hours without a crease. There are situations where I feel this is better than the Shadow Insurance, such as when I just want to put something on my lids and head out the door or when I am using loose eye shadows or pigments as I feel that they adhere better to the PaintPot.