December 19, 2014 | 933 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2007 7:52:00 AM More reviews by MillicentWinds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My hair is so damaged and when I put this on, I got:

"Your hair is like silk!"

My hair has never been compared to silk. Run out and get this.

Keep it in the fridge so it remains a solid, chip off a tiny amount and melt it in your hands.

Try to get cooking grade coconut oil too.

You will thank me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2007 7:52:00 PM More reviews by rmar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like coconut oil more than jojoba oil for makeup removal and moisturizing. It's great for eliminating my hair frizz too! I actually mix it in my hands with aloe vera and what a super combo! The coconut oil can be oily. The ratio of 1 part coconut to 2 parts aloe works for me. Thanks for the support MUA...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2007 8:10:00 AM More reviews by QueenQ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought a bottle of this after reading all the reviews. Broke out in a rash after the first use. I used an organic certified one from Perfect Potion (Australia). 2 drops on my face. But then after 5 minutes my face started to itch and I had rashes all over. Pretty strange considering it's just coconut oil. I mixed this with my body lotion instead to finish it up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2007 11:19:00 AM More reviews by aileendq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I've been using food grade refined cocnut oil for years on my hair. I leave it in my hair overnight and use it as a scalp scrub once a week. It's the best stuff, bar none, that I've ever used on my hair.

Since about last week, however, I started using it on my skin after I shower, and even a bit on my face if it gets dry. I've always had these rough patches of skin on the backs of my thighs and (this summer) extending down onto my calf a bit. I tried everything, from AHA creams to scrubbing REALLY hard with an exfoliating cream. NOTHING worked. Then I read the reviews of coconut oil here on MUA. A few of them mentioned "keratosis pilaris". I googled it, and, yup, that's what I have! I also read that people with auto-immune problems (like Celiacs- me- have a tendency towards this problem.)

So I used coconut oil on the back of my legs and, no joke, TWO DAYS later, it's GONE. I'm not kidding.

I now have a jar in my bathroom, a second container mixed with some essential oils (neroli, vanilla, lavender) for my hair, and a third jar in my kitchen. (I will start using this stuff to cook with if I can't find supplements to take.)

I can't rave enough about this stuff! All I can say is, "Get thee to a Whole Foods!"

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2007 7:17:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Whilst coconut oil is not moisturising enough for me to use by itself, it's the best makeup remover. It takes the heaviest of waterproof eye makeup off completely and never stings if it gets in the eyes, or makes them puffy. In comparison to some oils it leaves less residue and is easier to wash off. I also use coconut oil mixed with emu oil and olive oil as a moisturiser at night and find this mix sinks right into my skin without leaving it greasy or giving me pimples.

I also use it as a hair styling aid. I have short wavy hair and find that the tiniest amount worked through freshly washed damp hair give it body, bounce, shine and curl definition. It doesn't work at all if you try putting it on dry hair. I also use it as a preconditioner. Just massage some into hair and leave for 20 mins, or as long as you like, then wash hair as normal - no need to condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2007 2:03:00 AM More reviews by classic_beauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love coconut oil! I have sensitive skin all over that had begun reacting to my usual moisturisers and as a result my skin was left flaking, red, irritated, dry and dull. I've suffered from acne since I was 11 and had recently tried using products with AHAs and BHAs in them. Because I have such sensitive skin, it got burnt by the acids (although my acne cleared up a little) and my face became swollen, red, flaky and painful. At a pharmacy, the SA recommended extra virgin organic coconut oil for my skin and I've been slathering it on after my shower daily before my regular moisturiser. A word of warning though - most people beginning to use it on their faces will experience some pimples at first due to the coconut oil decongesting your skin. This goes after a while and leaves you with beautiful, moisturised, glowing skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2007 8:43:00 PM More reviews by bellek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love love love coconut oil. I bought it because of all the reviews here. I've tried fancy body creams, but this is so much more indulgent; plus it tames my hair from being a frizzy triangle into soft waves.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2007 12:16:00 PM More reviews by goldenbrown

Has anyone ever mixed olive oil and coconut oil together?! Olive oil has killed my dry areas and made my blemishes smaller and coconut oil helped make it softer...
?
I love this =)!!! It makes my hair all shiny and frizz-free but it makes it look crazy greasy, so Im gonna experiment with how much I use coz this is the only thing (apart from burts bees avacado blady blah treatment, which does the same thing but for a way pricey cost!) that kills my frizzies.
I found out the moistrizer drys out the skin and does not provide it with any water, it makes it more dry!
But coconut oil actually provides skin with moisture, so is great for us chicks with dry flaky skin! This is my nightime moistrizer and in the day I use vaseline, as it makes skin really glowy and is not bad for the skin like all other moistrizers =)!
It makes my skin softer and smoother, but im too lazy to put it on all the time so I don't know if it has any other effects =).
I put this out in the sun, as it turns into a liquid for my hair, or you can just put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds ;).
You can get this for 99p at Superdrug, in the UK - this is refined so is great for your hair, but use unrefined on your face as that is pure so will be less likely to cause any side effects, this is also great for wrinkles - my mum uses it and it works wonders.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2007 7:49:00 PM More reviews by NuMama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lots of great uses: apply a little to damp hair for softness, apply to hair 30 minutes before showering for an oil treatment, and I was able to use this on my face as a night moisturizer. This did not work well during the cold winter months to soothe my very dry skin, especially on my legs. My skin practically sucked up the oil and then they were dry and itchy again. I had to use another product on top to create a moisture barrier. My newest sugar scrub concoction...melt 1/2 cup coconut oil and add 1 cup sugar. After sitting, the oil solidifies some and the texture of the scrub becomes like a souffle and it smells just like Mounds candy bar.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2007 11:25:00 PM More reviews by rjez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love cleansing oils and sea kelp cleansers like CdlM.

I can't remember why, but about 5 months ago I started using organic, ultra refined, coconut oil as a cleansing cream.

At night I apply to my face and gently hold a warm towel to my face to absorb dirt and remove makeup. In the morning I repeat.

This is the first time in 20 years that I have not had a hormonal breakout. I try a lot of different skincare and makeup products but now it seems like I can use anything as long as I have my coconut oil.

2 weeks ago we stayed overnight at a hotel. I didn't want to drag my container so I used face soap and makeup remover. 2 days later I had a pimple.

Last week our luggage was lost and I had to use soap ... again, I had a breakout. Once I got my luggage and coconut oil - the breakout also went away.

continued >>