April 20, 2014 | 1696 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2006 8:59:00 AM More reviews by ArevLusine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had bought a cheap 2 dollar jar of 100% refined oil and it just didn't work for me. I had put some on a few hours before I took a shower. Once my shampoo touched it, my hair became a dry mess that I could barely comb through. Figuring it was because of the reaction with the shampoo, I got out of the shower and put some more oil in. It kept my hair manageable but it was still very dry.

I went out and bought a 10 dollar jar of unrefined organic coconut oil, and just by comparing to colour of the 2 I can smell the difference. When I use my shampoo it doesn't get dry anymore and my formerly very wavy, VERY dry, VERY frizzy and very coarse hair (which is prone to split ends) is silky soft and shiny.

Perhaps it was just my shampoo? I used it with my mother's Inner Science line. If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know.

UPDATE:
It's been about a month or 2 of coconut oil. I find it's either making my hair dryer or it's just stopped working. And I really wanted this to work on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2006 2:09:00 PM More reviews by ChildOfTheMoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm still in awe! Since I started using coconut oil on my long hair with dry ends (about 3 months ago) I didn't get any new split ends. I dyed my hair a few times since then, which used to result in disasters and unwanted haircuts, but this time my hair remained undamaged. Coconut oil protects the hair from breaking, and keeps it moisturized and nourished.

I apply quite a lot of oil on damp hair and leave it for 30 minutes or longer before washing it. (sometimes I do it before I go to bed, and wash hair in the morning) It washes out very easily. Then I rub a small amount, smaller than a pea size, (DONíT overdo it, or it's going to look greasy!) between my palms and apply it on the lengths of my hair once it's dry, concentrating on ends. This keeps my hair smooth, shiny and strong.

I have also stopped using Sodium Laureth Sulphate & silicone drops and usually let my hair air-dry which I'm sure also helped in my battle against split ends.

I'm no longer fooled by those TV ads, or overrated hair salon-brands that promote products stuffed with harmful chemicals which are supposed to make the hair look shiny and healthy, but only ruin it. I canít believe my luck, after trying countless hair products including any brand of silicone drops (which only made my hair dryer!) this 100% natural coconut oil, is the best hair remedy I ever tried.

I order organic, unrefined coconut oil (actually it looks more like butter) from a Swedish health shop that smells heavenly and is also edible. But I heard that even the regular kind works quite well.

So there you go, now you know my beauty secret. :)
UPDATE January 2010:
After over three years (!) I'm still using coconut oil religiously! I had to update this review just to add what a continuing miracle this stuff is for my hair. The only difference is that I no longer bother applying it to damp hair, since it works just as well on dry hair. It takes 2 shampooing (with SLS-free shampoo) to get it all out, when used as a pre-wash treatment. I wash hair two times/week (using dry shampoo between washes) and use coconut oil each time before washing, and abit afterwards as a leave in for smoothing.
I still get occasional split ends, but omg, it is nothing compared to the mess my hair used to be before I started treating it with coconut oil. I've grown from hating to actually liking my hair. (i cant say love since my hair is naturally on the thin side and fine, but I'll accept any improvement- especially since split ends used to be my main issue). I can safely say that this is one of my rare HG products! :) Will buy over and over again.
continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2006 12:47:00 PM More reviews by chiodancrgrl23

I tried this as a face and hair moisturizer last night and it worked great! I feel like I am doing something really good for my skin and hair by using this. My face was easily moisturized with a small amount, but I used too much and it made me a little greasy. Even though, I was happy to see that it absorbed into my skin nicely shortly thereafter. My skin looks pretty good today even though I didn't use it today. My hair was moisturized after applying this after washing. I smell a very faint coconut smell but nothing too cloying. Smells yummy actually. I purchased the extra virgin type Garden of Life brand from Vitamin Shoppe and feel like I spent too much at $11. Will repurchase but for cheaper somewhere else.

Update: Okay I have been using this for a few days and I am not sure if it is due to the weather or due to using coconut oil, but my facial skin is SUPER DRY. I thought coconut oil was supposed to prevent dry skin? What's going on?

Update Again: Okay yeah, it has to be the coconut oil that is DRYING my skin out. I stopped using it and my skin is getting better. I was actually getting painful cracks in my facial skin. That's how much it dried me out. So those with dry skin be careful regardless of what these reviews say. I really wish it had worked for me but it just didn't. Works fine on my hair though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2006 4:47:00 PM More reviews by divini

A great conditioner for the skin. Absorbs quickly but not completely, meaning your face is not dripping oil, but leaves a very pleasant film (it can be wiped off later and it takes with it all residual dirt) and - at least on me - instantly improves the appearance of my skin. I use the fractionated kind as it is the only kind I have come across. FYI, I have oily skin and large pores and this does not clog AT ALL and no breakouts. I typically use it under or over other creams and as body lotion. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2006 9:30:00 AM More reviews by slovenian

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well wow. At 53 have just about tried every skincare product on the market from Clarins to MD Forte to own brands. After logging onto MUA popped into my local Holland and Barrett (UK Health store) and bought a huge tub of unrefined coconut oil and it is absolutely the best thing ever. I tend to get eczema, and sometimes dry skin, but it also hates thick, rich creams, which clog the pores and seem to make it saggy. Nice. I remove eyemakeup with Vaseline and wet cotton wool pads, then rub the melting oil all over, remove with ordinary flannel wrung out in hot water, and repeat at night when I've had makeup on. Then I moisten a cottonwool pad a little, swirl it in the tub, and swipe all over my face. Wondrous results. Occasional pimple from detoxing, but my skin is glowy, smooth and nicely taut, with no hint of any dryness. It's as if it is moisturised really deep down. A tip for UK users - the Superdrug coconut oil sold in the hair section is ok for hair but too drying for face - perhaps because it's refined. The H&B is unrefined, has a lovely coconut smell, and is actually pure enough to eat. I think an "edible" grade of oil is the one to go for. Have tried olive oil and avocado but coconut oil is way better. Love it!!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2006 11:22:00 PM More reviews by jezzi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Christ on a bike! This stuff is awesome. I have nasty recurring ringworm rash that pops up on my body and most recently on my face. Bleh. In the past I've tried Lotrimin, Lamisil and Neosporin to say the least. Lotrimin used to work but I guess I've grown immune, because most recently I've had to have three sessions of lasering to get it to subside. Well I tried the coconut oil and it actually kicked the rash within 5 days. I know I sound like a convert but I can't believe it. It's so cheap and simple it's ridiculous - doctors are never going to tell you about it. I've been doing some reading on it and it seems the CO is a anti-microbial that works against yeast. I don't know if that is related to ringworm(fungus) but all I know is it worked inexplicably.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2006 11:02:00 PM More reviews by luluhb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff (plus apple cider vinegar and meat tenderizer...yes, believe it or not) has ENDED my arm keratosis. I LOVE IT.

As for the rest of me, my skin was always SO dry..no matter what cream or lotion I used. This stuff lasts ALL day! It is MESSY but well worth it. It doesn't feel greasy to me after a few minutes and soaks right in....My elbows are also not dark like they used to be....

This is a keeper!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2006 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Designkelly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG beauty product....I love coconut oil.

I use coconut oil as a body moisturizer after I get out of the shower. It takes a while to sink in, but it does keep my skin moisturized throughout the whole day and that is something that has never happened before. It also doesn't build up and make little clogged pores on my legs where normal lotion would clog up my skin.

I also put it on my face every night. It is very moisturizing and seems to have anti-bacterial properties as I see a lot of small pimples clear up after I'm done using it.

I would say that it makes my skin seem to have a natural glow. It doesn't get as dry during the day. Do not use it as a base to put on makeup, as makeup will slide right off, I tried that!
I also put some all over my hair before I go to bed. In the morning I shower and wash my hair and it makes my hair SO SHINY. I also changed up my routine and instead of using silicones in my hair to stop the frizz, i used a very small amount of it and rubbed it in my hands and then smoothed it over my hair and it seems to make my hair softer and much smoother than the silicones do.

I would only recommend buying Virgin Coconut Oil that is expeller pressed or cold pressed. Experiment with the brands, because some smell like coconut and some do not have a scent. I noticed that I get sick of the coconut smell after a while. It smells very nice at first, but it quickly wears on me. Sometimes I try other lotions but I always end up back to this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2006 2:43:00 PM More reviews by honey71

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

well I can't give you as much information as the people below, but I love this stuff. I was recently looking for some lotion that give my skin a healthy glow that isn't greasy, too shiney, etc. and coconut oil is it!! I was in Trinidad for carnival, so i got tanned really bad, so I needed something to help out my skin. So I got a bottle for about USD$1. And now i use it all over, for my skin and my hair and my scalp! super product, I also have a tub from spectrum, but really guys, go to an indian market or a west indian (caribbean) market, and you will be able to get it cheaper than at whole foods or trader joe's.

***ETA***

I stole this from http://www.longhaircareforum.com (I'm a lurker, lol):

This article was taken from the government site: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF MEDICINE

1: J Cosmet Sci. 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92. Links
Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.

* Rele AS,
* Mohile RB.

Research and Development Department, Nature Care Division, Marico Industries Ltd., Mumbai, India.

Previously published results showed that both in vitro and in vivo coconut oil (CNO) treatments prevented combing damage of various hair types. Using the same methodology, an attempt was made to study the properties of mineral oil and sunflower oil on hair. Mineral oil (MO) was selected because it is extensively used in hair oil formulations in India, because it is non-greasy in nature, and because it is cheaper than vegetable oils like coconut and sunflower oils. The study was extended to sunflower oil (SFO) because it is the second most utilized base oil in the hair oil industry on account of its non-freezing property and its odorlessness at ambient temperature. As the aim was to cover different treatments, and the effect of these treatments on various hair types using the above oils, the number of experiments to be conducted was a very high number and a technique termed as the Taguchi Design of Experimentation was used. The findings clearly indicate the strong impact that coconut oil application has to hair as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils.

Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft.

Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss. continued >>

44 out of 48 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2006 7:28:00 PM More reviews by amybean

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Washing my face every day with yogurt & coconut oil has totally transformed my skin. It is so glowingly beautiful! here is my secret regimen:

Mornings:
1. rub face with coconut oil
2. wash off with full-fat yogurt. (yes, it will leave a residue, but somehow it improves my complexion instead of making it greasy)

Evenings:
1. wash face with full-fat yogurt
2. use apple-cider vinegar (1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water) as astringent
3. rub face gently w/ coconut oil
4. blot excess coconut oil with tissue

I know that all this coconut oil and fatty yogurt should make me break out, but it has actually improved my oily complexion. My skin is glowing these days. Yay!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No