July 30, 2014 | 2068 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2007 6:10:00 PM More reviews by HRH084

I have really, really thick coarse hair that's highlighted. This oil makes my hair soft and smooth, so I love that. I just slather it on once a week and then wrap a towel around my head and watch TV for half an hour to an hour then I go take a shower. As for coconut oil causing acne, I've had just the opposite experience. I had like four swollen zits on my back, and this cleared them up within a day or so. It does stain clothing, so be sure to be careful. I think it helps to clear up old acne scars. I have used coconut oil on my face (I have near albino, Celtic skin which is sensitive and acne and cyst prone) and it clears up my face pretty well. It is obviously oily for a while, but I find that it sinks in, faster than jojoba oil, and that if I use it as a night treatment I'll wake up to slightly dry skin. I think anyone should be careful with their skin, but I would tell others to give coconut oil a go. I love slathering it all over because it gives a lovely sheen to my blinding white skin :) I have Jarrow Products Organic brand oil, I don't really notice the smell at all. It cost me like $5 for a tub of this stuff. A great buy as far as I'm concerned. Also, I use oilve oil on my face during the day sometimes and it works great. I have found that olive oil makes my hair seem darker if I use it on my hair, so I prefer coconut oil as a hiar treatment.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2007 9:03:00 PM More reviews by tried_em_all

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this off and on, but found that sometimes it's great, and sometimes, not so much. After reading the other reviews here, I think understand why. First of all, for the reviewers talking about the smell, get the "refined" in the food section of the health food store, it has no smell. Secondly, if you place the jar in a bowl of warm water it will melt faster (and of course, the microwave works great). I however, usually just scrap it out and then use a hand mixer to "whip" it up a little. I do this and then add about 25% to my body/hand lotion. Love it at first, and then after awhile, I find that it becomes more drying and maybe a little irritating. And after reading the other reviews (thank you, by the way), I understand that the lactic acid is what's creating the problem. Also, it never worked on my hair, dried it out like crazy. So, now I've switched to olive oil (I prefer the extra light, the extra virgin is pretty heavy), which I use on my hair once a week and I also mix 25% or so in with my lotion, works great for me. Edit: I developed a hand allergy a few years ago, from using anti-bacterial dish soap for too many years, and coconut oil seems to be something that triggers a reaction (along with shea butter). So I've stopped using it and have switched to olive oil in the same way I was using coconut oil - it's a more neutral oil and I actually think it works better.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2007 5:32:00 AM More reviews by mrstrii

I bought cold pressed virgin coconut oil from my health food store and have been using it on my skin as a makeup remover and a moisturizer - it REALLY helped the pores on my nose disappear - especially when I apply mineral makeup after - my previous moisturizer made ALL my pores look like craters when I applied MMU.

No breakouts (although I'm alarmed to hear that coconut oil is comodogenic!), rosacea skin is happy, less red (especially since I started drinking fresh coconut water), AND wrinkles are less obvious.

I also use it in my hair in place of conditioner and my hair is soft - if I apply too much it becomes greasy... getting the right amount of oil is a bit tricky.

The container it came in was a wide mouth, squat bottle - I transferred it to a medicine dropper bottle - as I live in the tropics, the oil is permanently in a liquid state so that works for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2007 3:16:00 AM More reviews by spaceygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Coconut Oil is one of the best things that could happen to your hair. I put it on dampish hair and then leave it in for a few hours, sometimes even over night, and when I shampoo it off using a mild shampoo, my hair is soft and bouncy and my curls springy. I use it on my body when its particularly dry and it works a treat!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2007 4:34:00 PM More reviews by eyeThink

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have mixed emotions about coconut oil. I have been using Spectrum Unrefined purchased from Whole Foods. I like the fact that it's lowering my exposure to toxins and when I put it on the scent makes me feel as though I've gone to some tropical spa in my own bathroom. :) On the flip side, the oil tends to melt and solidify depending on the temperature. I once put it in my hair and when I went outside on a cold, damp day it seemed to harden in my hair. So I had defined oily clumps in my hair. Yeah, not cute. Also, according to Acne Detective (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm) coconut oil is labled as comedogenic. So I didn't dare use it on my face/back/shoulders/chest, but I think it caused a pimple on the back of my knee. (!?)

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2007 9:23:00 AM More reviews by smitten8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

my mom used to put coconut oil on my hair when i was younger and my hair was always soft and shiney. i didnt need any expensive shampoos or conditioners at all. last year i started using VCO, but this time not only on my hair, but my body, hand, feet, and face!i have oily, acne prone skin and it did not break me out nor clog my pores. i stopped using it and started using DHC deep cleansing oil which broke me out HORRIBLY!!! my pimples had just cleared up recently and i want to use coconut oil again...i've just started using on my face last night...and tonight...my skin is still alright..(after breaking out from olive oil i freaked out completely thinking all kinds of oil in this world will break me out. but coconut oil didnt break me out earlier so i'll give it a try...AGAIN). i'll see how it goes within a week and i'll update my progress. UPDATE:Been using this on my skin for 3 nights now, no break out, no clogged pores. actually my skin looked a bit like its glowing:)will update on how it goes in a week. UPDATE(04/09/07):its been a week now and wow..i cant believe how much my skin is clearing up!it didnt give me new clog pores, but it kind of detoxed my face because 2-3 of the old clog pores were actually unclogging:) tiny pimples around my nose were clearing up, and so are little rash-like pimples(i dont know what that is called) around my cheek bones are 80% GONE!my skin is so smooth now!UPDATE:(04/19/07) it had been 17 days since i first used coconut oil. my skin is now 90% perfect. 10% more to go!

36 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2007 9:14:00 AM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I think this is great for hair. It really smoothed my frizzies - better than jojoba or grapeseed oil. It really penetrates the hair rather than just sitting on the surface. I read here on MUA that something like 90% of coconut oil makes it into the hair shaft.

I used the plain kind, which has a bad smell to it, because I just wanted to try it out to see if it worked. However, I wouldn't use this on my skin. I was very careful to avoid getting it on my face, neck or back. This is because the comedogenicity rating of coconut oil is very high. It rates a 4 on a scale of 0-5. Although some people can use it on their skin without problems, anyone who is prone to clogged pores or acne should exercise a lot of caution with this. Eventually, I stopped using this on my hair, because although I didn't have any breakouts on my skin due to it, I was worried about it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2007 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Non-deodorized (meaning coconut scent not removed) Extra Virgin Coconut Oil has replaced my cold cream after 23 years of loyal service. I love the coconut scent and the lauric acid keeps my pores clear and it leaves my face glowing. LOVE the fragrance too! When I use it religiously morning and night, I can go without makeup my skin looks so good. I also use it on my body after a shower while my skin is still damp. KP is almost gone!

I keep a jar in the bathroom for beauty and one in the kitchen for cooking and baking. :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2007 8:38:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought Spectrum's organic coconut oil and used it as a protective oil when I flat-ironed my hair. Worked better than some of the hair serums I used and made my hair really soft and healthy looking. Plus, I love the smell of fresh coconut. I have yet to try it on my facial skin, but for my hair it works beautifully. It also works as a body moisturizer when I'm feeling a little dry. Also gives my legs a sexy sheen. I wish I discovered this soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2007 8:00:00 PM More reviews by ageleg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Coconut oil is like a miracle product! I bought a lb of pure coconut oil on eBay and I am so glad I did. I use it mainly for my hair. I mix it with my deep conditioners and leave-in conditioners and I can't believe the shine of my hair! Just beautiful and it seems to be adding to the health of my bleached out hair. When I run out, I'll be right back on eBay!