Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 1/30/2008 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Coconut oil has been a beauty staple of mine for a long time. I typically use Monoi (vanille) because of the refinement and beautiful scent but straight coconut oil is just as good.

I've had long hair for most of my adult life (when I finally chopped it off it was down to my mid thigh) and this is the best leave-in you could ask for (and I've tried a LOT of leave in products). You have to be very sparing but it leaves hair incredibly soft and moisturized and didn't bog down my superfine hair. It's also great for dry skin and gentle enough I even use it on my pet hedgehogs to protect their delicate skin after a bath.

The main drawback is that it solidifies in cool weather, but it's not hard to find a spot that will keep it warm enough to keep it liquid.

on 1/22/2008 10:42:00 PM

I can't believe I have not written a review for this yet. I see absolutely no need to be any sort of rich body cream or deep hair conditioner when this stuff exists.

This kicks the butt of every body butter I have tried.

As a conditioner, this is not the sort of thing that you put in after shampooing. You massage it onto dry hair and leave it on for awhile, then shampoo. My relaxed and highlighted hair feels like silk afterward. If I happen to get a frizzy or flyaway, a tiny bit of oil calms it.

Additionally, I have been using this as a lip balm at night and my lips have been very soft throughout the winter. Plus I feel great that I am ingesting those healthy fats, even if it is in tiny amounts. Every little bit helps!

My face is another story. If anyone is going to break out from something, it would be me, and yes, ladies and gentlemen - I had some milia forming by my 4th day of using the oil. Shame on me for not actually researching pore-clogging ability before testing this on my face. I kept reading positive reviews in regards to using it on the face, and I kept reading that it did not clog pores. Turns out that Coconut oil is indeed comedogenic, with a comedogenicity level of 4 out of a possible 5. Everyone's skin is different and my skin, though it reacts wonderfully to jojoba, does not like coconut.

So, for facial skin - no. But this works wonders for everything else.

on 1/20/2008 4:04:00 PM

Coconut oil rules. I have a jar - Spectrum unrefined - and have been using it for my face for a while now. I have had acne my whole life and have really struggled with solutions... lord knows how much money I've spent - THOUSANDS is an understatement. I started using it with a couple drops of castor oil - I use a little metal spatula to scrape some out of the jar, and drop that into my palm with the castor oil. I press my palms together and in moments, it's liquified. I rub that all over my face, really rubbing it in, until it feels like it's absorbing. Then I either steam with a hot washcloth (about every third day) or use a damp washcloth to gently wipe the residual away. It smells like an almond joy - which I am just fine with.

Recently, the weather has been super dry, and I've had to start using grapeseed oil to supplement. It's much lighter, and stays with my skin a little longer. I can see the coconut oil being PERFECT for summer months tho.

No cleansers. No moisturizers. No eye cream or acne gels or serums. I now realize the whole skin-care industry is a big scam. Get thee some oil.

on 1/19/2008 6:35:00 PM

Recently I have used the Virgin Coconut Oil and I thought it would be as good as Jojoba Oil and EVOO as a face moisturizer.

Wow, I was so wrong because this made me broke out so bad. It almost looked like I was back in the days when I was 13/14 and had lots of pimples. To date I have never tried a product which has caused me such a breakout. I am sure I had over 50 pimples from using coconut oil on my face for a week.

During the first two days when the first pimples appeared, I thought that my skin had to get used to the coconut oil, but when the pimples didn't dissapear and I was getting more and more I really had to stop using this. This can not be a adjustment proces if you break out like I did. So don't make the mistake I've made, think twice before using this as a face moisturizer.

Another thing I didn't like about the Coconut Oil is that I had to make it liquid by using the microwave and I also did not like the smell of coconut oil. I love coconuts and drink coconut milk but it's something different when using it on your body. The scent is too overpowering, almost nauseating.

I will never use anything of the virgin coconut oil for my body anymore, I will only eat and drink it, that's the safest way to indulge coconut for me.

on 1/16/2008 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I LOVE virgin coconut oil! I used to use it put it on my body head-to-toe (I don't anymore because I don't want to waste it). Seriously. Everywhere. Even my face! When my esthetician heard that I was doing this, she was stunned because supposedly coconut oil is very comedogenic. I don't believe it. I think coconut oil actually helps skin, but I don't really use it on my face anymore even though it never broke me out because I need more than coconut oil alone to clear up my acne. Anyway, other than applying it on the skin, I use it on my hair--I apply it to dry hair and sleep on it with a clean towel on my pillow, then I wash it out with a normal shampoo a couple times. The effect: hydrated hair that dries perfectly frizz-free. This is amazing. My hair's naturally thick, wavy, frizzy... just disastrous, really. But when I put on coconut oil, my hair looks completely transformed. No other cream or serums ever achieved this state of unfrizziness for me. Ever. Another reason why I love coconut oil is because it helps my scalp. My scalp used to be itchy, flaky, and dry, and medicated shampoos such as Head & Shoulders and Selsun Blue never worked. My scalp also smelled, so I thought it was a fungus problem and used a sulfur soap on my scalp, but that didn't really work out either. After I did the pre-shampoo treatment like I mentioned before, my scalp did not give off any offensive odors. In fact, it still smells fresh even days or almost a week after washing! I guess it totally eliminated the problem!! (Did you know coconut oil is antimicrobial and anti-fungal?!) I also used to break out on my scalp, and I'm pretty sure the coconut oil stopped that, too, as I don't seem to be getting any more annoying bumps on my scalp. It truly works!

on 1/16/2008 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love coconut oil! I use it as an all over body moisturizer in the morning, on my face to buffer retin-a micro at night, and oh yeah it makes a fabulous hair conditioner! the really great thing about it is that it is SO light in texture. it sinks into the skin quickly and doesn't leave any greasy mess behind it. I even use a teeny bit in my hair in place of traditional pomade. oh, and it smells great too! this is one of the few products I actually prefer in a jar because it's easier to scoop it out then have to melt it in a bottle (it does solidify below 76 degrees). it's also extremely economical; I picked up a huge 1lb jar for less than $9.

on 1/11/2008 4:53:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Not for everyone, but a HG for the rest of us!!

Some people can be topically sensitive to the Lauric acid in coconut oil (not to be confused with lactic acid) but in general it's really very calming on your skin and even anti-microbial and anti-fungal which is one of the reasons it helps breakouts. I have some pimples, but my main issue is really clogged pores because my skin is really dry and doesn't make much oil on it's own. The coconut oil has helped reduce the clogged pores by like 80% or more. Fantastic! I now "wash" with a castor-almond-jojoba oil combo and use coconut as a moisturizer. It's my HG of hair conditioners (use a TEENY bit girls!) it helps with all kinds of skin problems and I even use it on my dogs (keeps scabs from being itchy, softens elbows).
There is no such thing as extra-virgin coconut oil - it's either "refined" or "virgin" (extra-virgin is a marketing ploy). Use the virgin. I like Nutiva best because I like the smell - I bought a bottle in Thailand that smelled really strong and I got to love that too! I just get the ultra-big gallon of it and split it up between the bathroom and the kitchen. it's about $25 and has lasted me almost a year.

I perfer to keep it in a tub - my squirt bottle solidifies regularly and it's too hard to get it out. Different brands may have slightly different melting points.

BTW - Although it is a saturated fat, it has a neutral effect on cholesterol and is a medium-chain fatty acid which can improve your metabolism and help with weight loss.

on 1/9/2008 5:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Wow, wow, WOW!!! This works like gangbusters! After reading all the great reviews for coconut oil I had to try it. And I'm glad I did! My hair is super soft and and shiny now. I got a 14 oz jar at wild oats for 7.99. I got the refined coconut oil, so it's a solid. I spooned a small amout into a bowl and let it melt on top of my coffee mug. I then combed it into my dry hair from midway down to the ends. It didn't take much to soak in. I did two braids and slept with it in. The next morning I washed it out, twice. I didn't notice any big change while it was wet but once it dried it was definately smoother. Even now three days later petting my hair, if feels softer.
I highly recommend this product! I also used a small amount to remove my eye make-up last night...worked like a charm!

on 1/7/2008 2:43:00 AM

Like lots of folks below, I love extra-virgin coconut oil! Great for wavy and curly hair, and for a body moisturizer. I won't use anything else on my body now, and yes, there is a difference between the regular coconut oil that you can get for $6-$7for a jar, and the extra-virgin stuff that's usually more expensive($13 for 16oz. of the Nutiva which is an excellent brand). The large co-op that I go to in San Francisco now has this in their wet bulk items department, thereby saving me money. I use it straight on my body while skin is still damp, otherwise it doesn't work as well, it being an oil, after all. I used to use all kinds of scrubs, loofahs, etc. and my skin would feel smooth for exactly one day, but since I have used the EVCO, my skin has been much smoother. I also make another cream using this along with unrefined shea butter and it is awesome!
Lots of Pacific Islanders and people in India can't be wrong about this being a superb beauty aid!
Last but not least, since the body has such a large surface area of skin, using something simple and non-toxic is hugely beneficial in so many ways. No more commercial body lotions for me! And of course using it my hair has been great too!

on 1/6/2008 9:35:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is my HG, period. I use it on my skin, mixed with Cetaphil cream (please ask if you want my "recipe") for daily moisturizing and straight up when I'm chapped. I also use it in my hair, both as a styling agent (to bring out my natural curl) and a de-frizzer if I want to dry straight. When in need, I'll also use it as a hair/scalp mask--generously applied at night, it makes my hair soft as a baby's after washing the next day. I use Spectrum brand expeller-pressed refined coconut oil, which I got at my local grocery in the health-food section. The "refined" means that coconut solids have been taken out, and it has NO.SMELL.AT.ALL. I love this about it. There are lots of arguments about getting refined vs unrefined, cold-pressed vs expeller-pressed, organic vs not. This is the only version I've ever tried and the only one I will ever need. It adds the umph I need to my moisturizer and has given me softer, smoother skin over time. My hair, formerly somewhat dull and frizzy, is now--dare I say it?--glossy and frizz-free. I actually get compliments on it! (Alert the press!) This stuff doesn't coat my skin like grease coats a skillet, nor does it weigh down my extra-fine hair. It is truly a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products