January 30, 2015 | 953 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2007 10:48:00 AM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I rate this a 5 for performance but wish there was another way to get it than in big jars you have to scoop into. The oil can be liquid or solid depending on room temperature. I use it to cleanse at night after using a separate eye makeup remover. This takes everything off and leaves skin soft and clean. It's the water temperature that determines whether skin is left slightly oily, clean or stripped, so stick to warm water on a soft cloth. The area in my chin fold, below lower lip, no longer has a bumpy rough feel to the touch, and my face seems evenly moisturized all over. It has been great for my dry, irritated skin and I will use it all winter, as a night moisturizer too.

A polite health note tho- coconut oil is a saturated fat and known to be very bad for cholesterol. I personally would not eat it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2007 8:02:00 PM More reviews by kiaboo1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pure Extra Virgin Coconut oil is awesome: It smells great and it's not only a great beauty oil, but it's also great to consume internally. I use coconut oil from head to toe. I use it as a hair oil. I have dreads and have to be cautious in what I use on my hair to minimize build up. Coconut oil is light, sinks into my hair and makes it shine. It washes away easily too, unlike shea butter. Shea butter is great for the skin though. I rub coconut oil on my body immediately after a shower while my skin is still wet. After the oil has fully absorbed, my skin still reflects light and glows. This is a sign of healthy skin. I also eat it. I take a tsp as a supplement along with flax seed oil to make my skin glow from the inside out.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2007 12:25:00 AM More reviews by ksbkd00

This review is for coconut oil as a hair treatment. I have been using coconut oil on my hair for years. I massage my hair with warm coconut oil and leave it overnight. Next day I shampoo and condition as usual. I do it once or twice a week. It is very good for hair as well as for scalp. It conditiones hair and nourishes, soothes the scalp. I have seen the benefits with healthy strong hair. Nothing can really change the hair texture but healthy strong hair always look good no matter whether it is straight, wavy or curly.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2007 6:01:00 PM More reviews by lednugenna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been reading the reviews here for coconut oil and I keep seeing people saying that it doesn't moisturize and its bad for oily skins. No oil moisturizes so apply it on damp skin to seal it. Works great for that. I have had acne since teen years. I am 46 now. It was coconut oil that finally healed my skin. It did not clear it up overnight however. At first it dried it out a bit which was good because it was super oily. But then it got kind of scabby and better in some places not so great in others. I have had a bleeding cracking scalp all my life. Not now. Coconut oil healed that to. My point is that it took a couple weeks for my skin to clear up and stay clear. I find that used on damp skin or hair it can heal a lot of problems so don't give up if it isn't instantaneously perfect. And remember that if you use too much you will be oily try a bit less and see if that works better for you. I also love olive oil but its kind of sticky sometimes and I don't find that with coconut oil. I like the unrefined but have heard of others liking the refined best.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2007 3:46:00 PM More reviews by ragingpunk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I CANT LIVE WITHOUT COCONUT OIL!!!!! I use it for everything, my hair, face, body, eye makeup remover.. it is a miracle oil! Not to mention that I adore the smell of coconut! The texture of this stuff is amazing, a light silky oil. Here is how I use it

Hair: as a prewash treatment I put globs of it in my hair and then wrap my head in a towel for about an hour (or sometimes overnight). a small amount also adds great shine and defrizzes my curls when dry. it really helps to prevent my hair from breaking, i totally credit my long hair to this stuff

Face: daily and nightly moisturizer, feels so silky on my skin and really keeps my complexing bright, clear, and soft. It's great at removing eye makeup, even mascara! doesnt irritate my eyes at all and keeps the area bright and soft

Body: all over moistuizer and tanning oil. keeps my skin soft and protects from the sun.

Oh, and it smells awesome too! Even my dogs go crazy trying to eat it when I use it lol

this is my absolute must have, staple beauty product (btw i use virgin unrefined oil) I cant praise it enought!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2007 7:52:00 AM More reviews by MillicentWinds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My hair is so damaged and when I put this on, I got:

"Your hair is like silk!"

My hair has never been compared to silk. Run out and get this.

Keep it in the fridge so it remains a solid, chip off a tiny amount and melt it in your hands.

Try to get cooking grade coconut oil too.

You will thank me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2007 7:52:00 PM More reviews by rmar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like coconut oil more than jojoba oil for makeup removal and moisturizing. It's great for eliminating my hair frizz too! I actually mix it in my hands with aloe vera and what a super combo! The coconut oil can be oily. The ratio of 1 part coconut to 2 parts aloe works for me. Thanks for the support MUA...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2007 8:10:00 AM More reviews by QueenQ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bought a bottle of this after reading all the reviews. Broke out in a rash after the first use. I used an organic certified one from Perfect Potion (Australia). 2 drops on my face. But then after 5 minutes my face started to itch and I had rashes all over. Pretty strange considering it's just coconut oil. I mixed this with my body lotion instead to finish it up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2007 11:19:00 AM More reviews by aileendq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, I've been using food grade refined cocnut oil for years on my hair. I leave it in my hair overnight and use it as a scalp scrub once a week. It's the best stuff, bar none, that I've ever used on my hair.

Since about last week, however, I started using it on my skin after I shower, and even a bit on my face if it gets dry. I've always had these rough patches of skin on the backs of my thighs and (this summer) extending down onto my calf a bit. I tried everything, from AHA creams to scrubbing REALLY hard with an exfoliating cream. NOTHING worked. Then I read the reviews of coconut oil here on MUA. A few of them mentioned "keratosis pilaris". I googled it, and, yup, that's what I have! I also read that people with auto-immune problems (like Celiacs- me- have a tendency towards this problem.)

So I used coconut oil on the back of my legs and, no joke, TWO DAYS later, it's GONE. I'm not kidding.

I now have a jar in my bathroom, a second container mixed with some essential oils (neroli, vanilla, lavender) for my hair, and a third jar in my kitchen. (I will start using this stuff to cook with if I can't find supplements to take.)

I can't rave enough about this stuff! All I can say is, "Get thee to a Whole Foods!"

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2007 7:17:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Whilst coconut oil is not moisturising enough for me to use by itself, it's the best makeup remover. It takes the heaviest of waterproof eye makeup off completely and never stings if it gets in the eyes, or makes them puffy. In comparison to some oils it leaves less residue and is easier to wash off. I also use coconut oil mixed with emu oil and olive oil as a moisturiser at night and find this mix sinks right into my skin without leaving it greasy or giving me pimples.

I also use it as a hair styling aid. I have short wavy hair and find that the tiniest amount worked through freshly washed damp hair give it body, bounce, shine and curl definition. It doesn't work at all if you try putting it on dry hair. I also use it as a preconditioner. Just massage some into hair and leave for 20 mins, or as long as you like, then wash hair as normal - no need to condition.