Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 12/26/2007 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

i have really dry skin, and live in a very cold climate (-40deg celsius!) at times with harsh winds..(yes its canada). i was really stressed during school and was breaking out terribly on my face with eczema and i went to the decleor counter at a dept. store. all of the cosmeticians felt so bad for me, and one of them said i shouldn't use anything..i should go to the derm, and try coconut oil..though only the virgin kind...i went right away to get some at the health food store and tried it that night. my gods its the best thing i have ever used! its a dry oil really, and you can keep reapplying it, and its quite soothing. i tried it on my hair as well, and it was just amazing. i could not do without this product. you can also mix it with a number of essential oils to soothe dry skin (lavendar or ylangylang, sandalwood), enlarged pores (lemongrass oil), etc. i love this stuff, it doesnt clog pores and works just so well, i highly recommend this for anyone with problems with dermatitis or dry skin esp.

on 12/22/2007 3:48:00 PM

If I had to list my top 3 beauty items I couldn't live without, I think coconut oil would be one of them. I've tried other coconut type products, but a lot have mineral oil, petrolatum, wax, etc. in them. I went to the health food store (Vitamin Shoppe) and bought a jar of 100% coconut oil. It's typically used for cooking (substitute for butter). It's solid at room temperature, but liquifies quickly in your hands. I use coconut oil on my long hair. I absolutly hate my hair feeling greasy or oily. I've tried Potion #9 and hated it. My hair felt dirty and it made my face oily no matter how little I used. I've tried others only to through them away.

Coconut oil is the best. I can use it as a moisuturizer and it's done wonders to my peeling finger nails. My cuticles have never looked better. It seems to penetrate the nail bed. It may be my imagine, but my nails seem to be growing faster and much stronger. I read that coconut actually penetrates the hair shaft--few things do--most things just coat the hair. Also, coconut oil shampoos right out. I use it on my wet hair and also on dry hair if I need a little more shine or control. I typically divide my hair in sections and take a small amount rub it between my hands and twist it into my hair. My hair is soft, but not so soft that the curl comes out.

When I first got the jar, I used a spoon to break up some of the solid product into smaller pieces. Now I just dip my fingers in, rub, and apply.

If you read any of the ingredients of some of the great conditioners out there, some contain coconut oil. When you shop for your coconut oil, get the kind that is 100% coconut oil without anything else added. Some things say 100% coconut oil on the package, but they're really mineral oil, petroleum mixed with coconut oil. Get the jar that's used for cooking. I got Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I absolutely love this stuff. It's my best kept secret--until now. Edit: Just bought Emeral Laboratories Organic Coconut Oil from GNC. I like the consistency of this oil better than the Nutiva.

on 12/16/2007 10:40:00 PM

I couldn't be happier to have discovered coconut oil, and couldn't be more surprised to be slathering it on, especially on my face! I've got oily skin, but I'm about to be 40, so I've got some wrinkles too... I still tend to break out sometimes, but less now while using the coconut oil! I even wash my face with it, like how my mom uses pond's cold cream to take off her makeup, just the oil and some kleenex. It has done wonders for dry skin on my knees, and my heels, which I'd never been able to get smooth before. I feel like I've got something over all the skin care companies, ONE product to wash and moisturize, and to clear my skin, and it's cheap! I don't think I'll ever buy another face product, besides the baking soda I use to exfoliate (works GREAT! and it's dirt cheap) and purpose soap for using in the shower. Hope this helps somebody!
UPDATE 4/7/09: It's been forever, but I just left a review for Jason Naturals Vitamin E Oil, and it prompted me to adjust this one. The E oil is INCREDIBLE (see my review) and just makes my skin so, so, so much happier. The main complaint I had about the coconut oil after awhile was that I was realizing I had to really scrub my face so much more often... It just seemed to always have a rougher texture, and I have no idea why, just felt compelled to fix my review, better late than never.

on 12/15/2007 5:00:00 PM

I bought this in a glass jar (can't remember the brand) in the health foods isle at the grocery store. I originally bought it to use in my hair, but after one try I didn't like it... now I realize that I used too much and it made my hair greasy. I'll have to try again with much less application. I regularly use this as a body moisturizer after the shower, and this morning I used it to take off waterproof mascara... it was amazing! There was no mascara residue left, whatsoever. I massaged a little bit of it into my eye area while in the shower. I was always iffy about waterproof mascaras, but since this works like a miracle in removing it, I'll wear waterproof more often. Also great as a facial mosturizer, my pores are significantly smaller and the red areas around my nose have disappeared! It makes my face super smooth feeling. Coconut oil = great stuff!

EDIT**** I used this with brown sugar as a face scrub in the shower, it is freaking awesome... don't need moisturizer afterwards, it doesn't break me out (big surprise!) and it gives my skin a soft, glowing appearance! So TRY IT WITH BROWN SUGAR!

I have been using this for over 6 months as a moisturizer. Goes well as a morning and evening moisturizer. I use this after my cleanser in the morning, then I wash it off with water and towel off. In the evenings, I put this under my eyes, patting gently and I let it stay overnight. Also great for hair, takes away flakes during the winter time and gives me baby soft hair!

on 12/11/2007 7:33:00 AM

I have used virgin coconut oil as an over night treatment for my hair for a year now. It doesn't weigh my hair down and it is the best hair treatment in terms of strenghtening the hair. It gives great definition to my curls, makes it softer and adds shine.

on 11/27/2007 12:16:00 AM

I bought this initially as an overnight treatment for my dry dry ends. Then I read some reviews about it here and decided to try it on my face b/c it my skin was freaking out from a recent outbreak. I'm very pleased with the results on both fronts and would recommend. My face is starting to clear up w/ nightly applications of a thin layer of coconut oil and I can tell that my ends are healthier. I've also started using the oil as a leave-in conditioner before blow drying in the morning. I'll probably do the overnight leave-in treatment once a week.

on 11/21/2007 2:17:00 PM

I have turned all my friends onto this product because I used to work in a health food store. I buy the food grade coconut oil in a big glass jar, I forget the name, but it was quite inexpensive. It melts on contact with the skin and I use this occasionally as a body oil. I like it better than shea butter which I find hard and waxy and not nice-smelling. Some friends use it on their face and to remove makeup but I tend towards acne and don't want to take the chance of a breakout. The scent is lovely and you can even melt a little bit and add some essential oils just before applying to skin to enhance the experience.

on 11/14/2007 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

People from India have been using coconut oil on their hair forever! Coconut oil literally brings me back to my childhood and my grandmother massing this stuff in my ass length hair. I rediscovered this stuff after hot tools really killed my waist length, wavy hair. I heat it up, rub it into my scalp really well, and then concentrate on my ends and the nape of my neck (where all the ponytail breakage is) brush it through and wait about two hours. I need a good clarifying shampoo (Origins is great) to really get the gunk out at the crown but the rest is usually left pretty nice and smooth. I love this product!

on 11/11/2007 8:23:00 PM

I got a big jar of organic coconut oil for 7 bucks a year ago. Been using it on my hair and face (only when it's cold tho). It is a great all purpose moisturizer and I had no breakouts. When I use it for hair what I do is brush it out first for even distribution (it's thick, very curly and long), emulsify the oil in my hands (my house is never warm enough for it to become liquid in a jar) and smooth it through my hair. Then I french braid it and leave it like that overnight. I actually love the way it looks just like that, tamed, smooth and shiny, better than with any stying product. Then in the morning I use a clarifying shampoo and my regular conditioner. Always love the result!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products