October 31, 2014 | 1405 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2007 7:17:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Whilst coconut oil is not moisturising enough for me to use by itself, it's the best makeup remover. It takes the heaviest of waterproof eye makeup off completely and never stings if it gets in the eyes, or makes them puffy. In comparison to some oils it leaves less residue and is easier to wash off. I also use coconut oil mixed with emu oil and olive oil as a moisturiser at night and find this mix sinks right into my skin without leaving it greasy or giving me pimples.

I also use it as a hair styling aid. I have short wavy hair and find that the tiniest amount worked through freshly washed damp hair give it body, bounce, shine and curl definition. It doesn't work at all if you try putting it on dry hair. I also use it as a preconditioner. Just massage some into hair and leave for 20 mins, or as long as you like, then wash hair as normal - no need to condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2007 2:03:00 AM More reviews by classic_beauty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love coconut oil! I have sensitive skin all over that had begun reacting to my usual moisturisers and as a result my skin was left flaking, red, irritated, dry and dull. I've suffered from acne since I was 11 and had recently tried using products with AHAs and BHAs in them. Because I have such sensitive skin, it got burnt by the acids (although my acne cleared up a little) and my face became swollen, red, flaky and painful. At a pharmacy, the SA recommended extra virgin organic coconut oil for my skin and I've been slathering it on after my shower daily before my regular moisturiser. A word of warning though - most people beginning to use it on their faces will experience some pimples at first due to the coconut oil decongesting your skin. This goes after a while and leaves you with beautiful, moisturised, glowing skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2007 8:43:00 PM More reviews by bellek

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love love love coconut oil. I bought it because of all the reviews here. I've tried fancy body creams, but this is so much more indulgent; plus it tames my hair from being a frizzy triangle into soft waves.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2007 12:16:00 PM More reviews by goldenbrown

Has anyone ever mixed olive oil and coconut oil together?! Olive oil has killed my dry areas and made my blemishes smaller and coconut oil helped make it softer...
?
I love this =)!!! It makes my hair all shiny and frizz-free but it makes it look crazy greasy, so Im gonna experiment with how much I use coz this is the only thing (apart from burts bees avacado blady blah treatment, which does the same thing but for a way pricey cost!) that kills my frizzies.
I found out the moistrizer drys out the skin and does not provide it with any water, it makes it more dry!
But coconut oil actually provides skin with moisture, so is great for us chicks with dry flaky skin! This is my nightime moistrizer and in the day I use vaseline, as it makes skin really glowy and is not bad for the skin like all other moistrizers =)!
It makes my skin softer and smoother, but im too lazy to put it on all the time so I don't know if it has any other effects =).
I put this out in the sun, as it turns into a liquid for my hair, or you can just put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds ;).
You can get this for 99p at Superdrug, in the UK - this is refined so is great for your hair, but use unrefined on your face as that is pure so will be less likely to cause any side effects, this is also great for wrinkles - my mum uses it and it works wonders.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2007 7:49:00 PM More reviews by NuMama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lots of great uses: apply a little to damp hair for softness, apply to hair 30 minutes before showering for an oil treatment, and I was able to use this on my face as a night moisturizer. This did not work well during the cold winter months to soothe my very dry skin, especially on my legs. My skin practically sucked up the oil and then they were dry and itchy again. I had to use another product on top to create a moisture barrier. My newest sugar scrub concoction...melt 1/2 cup coconut oil and add 1 cup sugar. After sitting, the oil solidifies some and the texture of the scrub becomes like a souffle and it smells just like Mounds candy bar.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2007 11:25:00 PM More reviews by rjez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love cleansing oils and sea kelp cleansers like CdlM.

I can't remember why, but about 5 months ago I started using organic, ultra refined, coconut oil as a cleansing cream.

At night I apply to my face and gently hold a warm towel to my face to absorb dirt and remove makeup. In the morning I repeat.

This is the first time in 20 years that I have not had a hormonal breakout. I try a lot of different skincare and makeup products but now it seems like I can use anything as long as I have my coconut oil.

2 weeks ago we stayed overnight at a hotel. I didn't want to drag my container so I used face soap and makeup remover. 2 days later I had a pimple.

Last week our luggage was lost and I had to use soap ... again, I had a breakout. Once I got my luggage and coconut oil - the breakout also went away.

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2007 1:20:00 AM More reviews by tempescape

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

I bought Spectrum unrefined coconut oil after buying the refined type (unscented) and finding it did nothing at all. I use the unrefined on my hair after I shampoo. I rub some in mixed with a little pure shea butter and olive oil to give my hair a sheen and unbelievable softness.It can be a skin irritant if used alone though for scalp or body/face.

My cousin tried it on her severe acne and it broke her out even more. I can;t use it alone because the smell chemically reacts with my skin and makes me smell ew!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2007 3:27:00 PM More reviews by iammew

Using 1 week on my face and body and I've had some odd experiences! My face breaks out in the nose creases and on my chin / jaw, which I had mostly under control with acv (apple cider vinegar) used as a toner. Needed to find a better moisturizer - couldn't quite find the right one. The first day of coconut oil, the skin around my nose was dry and scabby. Second day same thing. Third day I exfoliated and then used the coconut oil - soft and no pimples. It left the area by my nose like new skin. My face feels smoother - and is less oily in the combination areas. This oil almost seems to dry up my face while hydrating it at the same time. So I've started mixing a small amount of aloe vera with the oil for my face, and I like that. Mineral makeup looks better over this oil than other moisturizers. Smaller pores. The oil soaks in after 10 minutes or so - I always put it on damp skin. For my body I put it on right after the shower while I'm still wet. I also have eczema on my hands that hasn't gone away for almost 2 years - It seems to be helping, but after only one week I can't be sure yet. I read on the internet that some people use this as a deodorant because it has antibacterial properties. This comes in a wide mouth glass jar and coconut oil liquifies at about 76 degrees. I transferred it to a small squeeze bottle which works well when it's liquid and I can unscrew the top when it solidifies. It melts easily in your hands. I'll update in a month or so - After trying so so many moisturizers that don't work, I think natural is the way to go. And I don't have to spend crazy money anymore! **UPDATE** Three months later and I just bought my second bottle, since I use it on the face, body and hair. So about $6.50 every 3 months for lotion - I love that! Still doesn't cause breakouts, soaks into the skin nicely. I've gotten into a habit / routine putting the oil on after the shower which I was never able to keep up with lotion so my body is much better moisturized than ever. It's so true that you have to do things consistently to get results. I LOVE COCONUT OIL!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2007 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Julesisme1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

EVCO -- for hair. I haven't seen anyone mention if this is ok on color-treated hair, so I thought I'd chime in. My hair was bleach blonde, now I'm a med brunette, so I was worried that this might strip the color out...NOPE! It's wonderful. I put 1/2 teasp (which is plenty!) on damp hair & it worked like a charm. Blow-dried it, now it's super soft and looks like I used a silicone product; it's nice & 'piecey'', like I went to a salon. Just be careful not to use it on the roots, otherwise it'll look dirty. Voila.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2007 6:10:00 PM More reviews by HRH084

I have really, really thick coarse hair that's highlighted. This oil makes my hair soft and smooth, so I love that. I just slather it on once a week and then wrap a towel around my head and watch TV for half an hour to an hour then I go take a shower. As for coconut oil causing acne, I've had just the opposite experience. I had like four swollen zits on my back, and this cleared them up within a day or so. It does stain clothing, so be sure to be careful. I think it helps to clear up old acne scars. I have used coconut oil on my face (I have near albino, Celtic skin which is sensitive and acne and cyst prone) and it clears up my face pretty well. It is obviously oily for a while, but I find that it sinks in, faster than jojoba oil, and that if I use it as a night treatment I'll wake up to slightly dry skin. I think anyone should be careful with their skin, but I would tell others to give coconut oil a go. I love slathering it all over because it gives a lovely sheen to my blinding white skin :) I have Jarrow Products Organic brand oil, I don't really notice the smell at all. It cost me like $5 for a tub of this stuff. A great buy as far as I'm concerned. Also, I use oilve oil on my face during the day sometimes and it works great. I have found that olive oil makes my hair seem darker if I use it on my hair, so I prefer coconut oil as a hiar treatment.