Chanel No.5

3.5

on 8/14/2004 12:38:00 AM

Someone bought me this for christmas, a nice size bottle and some powder and i really haven't given it a second thought. i wore it to work once and many people complimented me but i feel like a grandmaw with it...

on 8/12/2004 1:59:00 PM

I was in both boats with most of the reviewers here: I wanted to love this perfume because it's the one Marilyn wore to bed and, deep down, I'm just an old-fashioned girl (screaming classy VINTAGE!). In high school, I hated the way it smelled because, yes, it is terribly mature and it put me in mind of old women wearing White Diamonds or musk, which I hate. I tried it again recently- being 21 and more determined than ever to love it or leave it- and thought it smelled like black licorice in the bottle. On, though, I absolutely fell in love. Something clicked with me- it makes me think of dusting powder, and, surprisingly, I find it a lot more subtle than I used to. I bought the EDT and I don't think it has the right staying power, but when I run out I'll buy the EDP- this scent is definitely a keeper. I even spray it on my pillows before I go to sleep! :-) I definitely do not recommend this scent to the Tommy Girl, Lucky and Cool Water crowd- there's nothing "fresh" or "light" about it, but for those of us who enjoy seductive, personal scents, this one is the heavyweight champion. It's hard not to fall in love with a perfume that instantly connects you to the most elegant women in the world...

on 7/30/2004 10:59:00 AM

Why don't I like Chanel #5??? Why why why? I've tried for years - I've had a bottle in my drawer for years - and I try it again now and then - no spark, no love, nothing. I simply don't understand the fame, the hype, why this is the number one selling perfume in the world. Come on, it's not bad, not offensive, but it's not *that* great either! I bought EDP thinking maybe I'd like it better (used to have EDT & oil mist and gave up on them -- gave them away). It's powdery, aldehyde-y, it's okay, kinda blah, it's just perfume - but I don't think it's outstanding perfume. One of the great mysteries, to me, is why everybody likes this stuff. But I'll hang on to my EDP for life - whether I ever wear it or not - just because it's Chanel #5.

on 7/29/2004 3:30:00 PM

I inherited a bottle of this when my Mother passed away. It was the scent she wore for 30 years. It is a VERY mature scent. I'd even venture to say it screams "granny" to me. I mean..it's not unpleasant , and of course it reminds me of my Mum...I just don't think it's a scent most women under 50 would choose. When I wore it my husband said "you smell like a retirement villa's common room". Hmmmmm NOT the effect I was aiming for! I'll stick with Deep Red by Hugo Boss, my HG frangrance.

on 7/29/2004 11:40:00 AM

Smell this one in the store-after hearing how "classy" it was. Smells like my grandmothers perfume.

on 7/24/2004 1:57:00 PM

Another fragrance I always go back to and I can't imagine living without. I don't know what it is about it, but it seems slightly addictive. It definitely needs to be worn, and warmed up by the skin, in order to appreciate it fully. I always thought I hated it until I learned that the beautiful burst of scent I was getting off of a new friend was No 5. And the most mind-boggling thing about it is that whenever I wear it, men of all ages seem to go crazy - I mean, even teenagers. Amazing. I usually detest any fragrance with rose in it, but from the reactions it illicits, I've got to wear it.

on 7/24/2004 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have tried this perfume several times, but just never liked it. It is just too, too, much of whatever it is! I guess I would say it smells sharp, but overwhelmingly powdery. This fragrance is utterly lacking in sex appeal and sophistication, on me at least. I think that Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis liked this, so that gives it a certain cachet, I suppose. It may have worked for her, but it does nothing for others I have smelled it on.

on 7/13/2004 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love Chanel #5. When I wear it I feel beautiful. Although it is a soft floral with plenty of aldehydes, it still "looks" good on me - I am a brunette with curly hair, reddish brown eyes and pale, olive complexion. It just brings out my colors, I can't explain it any better than that. To me the EdT and the EdP are two very different versions of the scent. The EdT is light and bubbly while the EdP is heavier and much more powdery. I love the jasmine and the May Rose as well as the tiny hint of vanilla. The EdP lasts longer on my dry skin. And lastly, let's not fall for ageism, ladies! Beauty is ageless, and I think #5 shows that very well. :)

I love Chanel No. 5. I've only recently bought it after months of searching for the perfect signature scent. THIS IS IT! (lol) I think it's a classic that I will enjoy wearing for years to come and get a lot of compliments on!

on 6/28/2004 7:27:00 PM

No No No No No!
This fragrance reminds me of powdery (and kinda stale) smelling old women who have had the bottle of perfume for at least 20 years, just to bring it out and blow off the dust for xmas and funerals. Definitely not for me. But everyone is different and maybe I just smelt it on someone it didn't suit. No offense to No.5 lovers.

Popular Fragrances