Chanel No.5

3.5

on 7/24/2004 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have tried this perfume several times, but just never liked it. It is just too, too, much of whatever it is! I guess I would say it smells sharp, but overwhelmingly powdery. This fragrance is utterly lacking in sex appeal and sophistication, on me at least. I think that Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis liked this, so that gives it a certain cachet, I suppose. It may have worked for her, but it does nothing for others I have smelled it on.

on 7/13/2004 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love Chanel #5. When I wear it I feel beautiful. Although it is a soft floral with plenty of aldehydes, it still "looks" good on me - I am a brunette with curly hair, reddish brown eyes and pale, olive complexion. It just brings out my colors, I can't explain it any better than that. To me the EdT and the EdP are two very different versions of the scent. The EdT is light and bubbly while the EdP is heavier and much more powdery. I love the jasmine and the May Rose as well as the tiny hint of vanilla. The EdP lasts longer on my dry skin. And lastly, let's not fall for ageism, ladies! Beauty is ageless, and I think #5 shows that very well. :)

I love Chanel No. 5. I've only recently bought it after months of searching for the perfect signature scent. THIS IS IT! (lol) I think it's a classic that I will enjoy wearing for years to come and get a lot of compliments on!

on 6/28/2004 7:27:00 PM

No No No No No!
This fragrance reminds me of powdery (and kinda stale) smelling old women who have had the bottle of perfume for at least 20 years, just to bring it out and blow off the dust for xmas and funerals. Definitely not for me. But everyone is different and maybe I just smelt it on someone it didn't suit. No offense to No.5 lovers.

I've recently been bombarded with references about Chanel No. 5 in virtually every setting(socially,fictional characters in novels, magazines, TV etc.) Anyhoo, I decided to indulge my curiousity at a local perfume speciality store. Long story short, I don't get the hype. This scent is sooooo strong! I know a lot of you like this perfume, but it didn't speak to me at all. Though, I'm sure it would smell lovely on a more mature woman. Personally, I'm not ready yet. I still have some growing up to do :)

on 6/26/2004 3:33:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have owned a chanel No 5 at all times since my early twenties. I am not a "classic" girl in other domains at all. This scent does not work like that on me. I find it light, surprising, uplifting. I was very suprised when i first smelled it that "this" was "the" chanel no 5. I was expecting something much heavier, floral or something... I was not expecting the aldehydes, which really make No 5 what it is. I love it will always have it. It always makes me feel special.

on 6/18/2004 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This fragrance smells like Pledge furniture polish, minus the lemons. Classic? Um, try boring, flat and outdated.

I really love chanel NO 5 on other people, but not on me. It turns to a talcom powder smell on me and does me no justice. I was very disapointed because I would have made this my signature if it went with my body chemistry.

on 6/12/2004 10:01:00 AM

I've been using no. 5 for over twenty years, and it is really very beautiful. The scent is a bit dated and powdery--its not a clean scent, nor is it supposed to be. It's heady and unabashedly floral in a more old fashioned sense. It's a classic and it still brings me pleasure when I wear it--and I don't think it overwhelms the person next to me, either.

on 5/12/2004 10:33:00 AM

Although this is not a new fragrance in my collection, I've been wearing it for over 30 years, I have recently decided that this is the most "perfect" fragrance in my collection. Something about #5 speaks to me as no other scent can, like a non-verbal language. I wear both the EDT and the parfum, they are different enough from each other to have both. EDIT 8/10/07: I just had the good luck to obtain a huge bottle of vintage EDT and it is so smooth and warm and so close to the scent of the parfum, I am floored. If you have a problem with Chanel #5, I suggest you scour some places to get some vintage EDT. Fantastic, I am in heaven.!

Popular Fragrances