October 2, 2014 | 973 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2007 8:17:00 AM More reviews by verte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a review for organic jojoba oil generally. I had been using AHAs on my face and although they worked very well to control and heal pimples and scarring, I was after something that wasn't so high-maintenance. (Did I also mention I am a chronic picker?!) I have combo skin which is oilier in summer and drier in winter and as previously mentioned I have the odd pimple and scar very easily on my face. Jojoba oil fit the bill so far as what I was looking for in a moisturiser and it had the added benefit of being a good ingredient to put in my homemade cleansing oil. I apply jojoba oil after cleansing and misting my face with orange flower water and I mix it with a drop each of calendula oil and German chamomile oil to help with scarring and redness. So far it seems to be working quite well (I've only been doing it for a week). My skin looks hydrated and healthy, the small pimples I have are healing faster than usual, and I even think my old scars have faded a smidgen and my blackheads have diminished. My chin, usually the worst offender when it comes to massive hormonal pimples and general congestion, looks clear- those tiny under the skin bumps that you can only see when you stretch the skin out seem to have vanished. Some of this may also be attributable to the oil cleansing method, which I started at the same time as the jojoba oil. Jojoba oil also makes a good base for makeup. It's relatively cheap (compared to how much I would spend on different moisturisers etc) and easy to obtain. It absorbs very quickly- about five minutes and it's sunk in completely. I'll update this later but I hope that my good results continue. UPDATE JULY 2007: Still good! My skin has totally balanced out and is finally normal (it hasn't been normal since puberty, a good 15 years ago). I don't know whether it was the jojoba or the oil cleansing method that helped (probably both) but I'm really happy. I should also mention that I haven't had any huge under-the-skin pimples since starting this regime, whereas before I'd get one or two at that time of the month.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2007 2:45:00 PM More reviews by FunnyValentine

This seems to be the best all-natural way to moisturizer skin. It's greasy because it's an oil, so it's not cosmetically elegant, but a light coating of it at night really helps moisturize the skin.
Also, I read it's good for the scalp, to leave on for a while before washing your hair--supposedly it helps control sebum, which, when overproduced, can block hair follicles. I read on acne.org that because it's like the skin's own oils, it also helps control oil production on the skin's surface. So far, I haven't experienced that, but I'm waiting hopefully!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2007 5:40:00 PM More reviews by lunepremie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the only thing that is saving my sensitive eczema-prone skin, which reacted in some way to every other moisturizer I have tried before. It doesn't break me out and in fact, seems to help with combatting acne, makes the skin on my face less oily, calms the redness, and is very moisturizing. I heard other people use olive oil and sesame oil with the same results, but I personally find them too heavy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2007 1:20:00 PM More reviews by arlington2007

I have oily, combination skin and have been using this product for the past few nights, it does a great job of softening my face and it seems to be working on my fine lines too. It doesn't cause increased oiliness, doesn't even feel greasy and hasn't made me breakout. It's reasonably priced, packaging is just ok, I wish the cap was made to prevent oily leakage. Overall, happy with this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2007 11:25:00 AM More reviews by mauwong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Find it too oily for face but works great on hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2007 9:22:00 AM More reviews by ajb1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

I have combo skin: flakes on my forehead and crater pores on my nose. I was really scared the jojoba would break me out but so far it seems to be doing a nice job of keeping me in balance. In fact, my skin looks nicer than it has in a long time. I am delighted with the lack of chemicals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2007 8:51:00 AM More reviews by onthemove

I am a jojoba oil convert. It really is a multi-purpose product for hair, face, body! I have been using Desert Essence's version and it has really helped with my dry skin particularly my body. I mix a little with my regular body lotions and my skin feels soft and smooth. Great after shaving your legs. For my face, I add a tiny amount to my moisturizer and the dry patches disappear. I was a little skeptical about an oil going anywhere near my face but apparently jojoba is similar to skin's sebum. I have used it in my hair, pre-wash and as a scalp massage. Wonderful product! Update: I just cannot use this on my face because it has been going haywire lately. I still love this product but for my body only.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2007 8:52:00 AM More reviews by ladiihpnotiiq

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted so badly to love Jojoba Oil. I had finally perfected every other aspect in my skincare regime with the only missing element being a lovely, natural moisturiser.

I bought pure Jojoba Oil in a spray/pump bottle from my local pharmacy, ready to start my all natural regime.

For the first week my combo skin was lapping it up. I would cleanse with AOBS, tone with Rose Water and whilst still wet from the toner, spray a tiny amount of Jojoba Oil into my palm and massage thoroughly into my skin. My skin would be slightly oily, but soft and glowy aswell.

One morning I woke up and almost every single pore of mine in my t-zone was clogged, red and bumpy. Having never had a problem with any product before, with my skin being opposite to sensitvie, I was in shock. I had never had a breakout from a product and never had experienced clogged pores so this really dealt to my self-esteem.

I bought Herbalism cleanser and Celestial moisturiser from LUSH and dealt to my skin with those combined with AHA and BHA gel. After a week of that, my skin was back to normal.

Needless to say, I will not be trying Jojoba Oil on my face again.

I must admit, as a hair and cuticle treatment, it's wonderful. It's also cheap and natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2007 11:57:00 AM More reviews by Thena

The best moisturizer I have. I use and have Olay, pure aloe vera and 100% shea butter too, but this is the one that my combo face loves the most. A couple of drops, and my face is cleansed, smooth and flake free. I like using it on my oily areas such as my nose, and I love using it on my eye area as it seems to relax the skin around there as it absorbs quickly. I've had no reaction, but then again, I don't use it so much because it is expensive for the small amount ($15 CAD). The packaging is not the best, but this really is the best natural moisturizer. HG for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2007 12:03:00 PM More reviews by iberian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok, I was quite skeptical about putting an oil (or wax, as jojoba oil technically is) on your face and not have it suffocate and break out, but after reading the reviews here and doing lots of on-line research I decided to try it. I bought this at Loblaws in the Organic section for $15 Cdn for 4 oz (120 ml). My skin is dry but breaks out easily and frequently, pores are very easily clogged. I'd like to get pregnant soon so I've stopped using AHA's and BHA's (my skin loves those!!!) as they are not to be used by pregnant women, and I'd like to stay away from parabens as well. Well, I must say I'm really impressed with this stuff. I've used 4-5 drops every morning and evening after cleansing and my skin has had no reactions at all so far! My skin is smooth and decently hydrated. (If it was winter, maybe I'd need to use more, especially around the eyes.) It's not greasy, it's unscented and the price is right considering you only need a few drops at a time. The blackheads on my nose and chin are getting better too! Hey, go figure. For some people this stuff gives a reaction, but for me, I seem fine so far. It doesn't 'sink in' to the skin the way creams do, nor does it leave a dry, matte finish the way silicone-based gels do. It leaves a slight film on the skin but that dissipates after 15 or 20 minutes. My acne is slightly better, too. I tried both almond and olive oil as facial moisturizers before and I had acne flare-ups and seriously clogged pores from those! The almond oil I'm now using exclusively as a body moisturizer (terrific for that!). Jojoba oil rates a 0 on the comedogenic scale, whereas almond, olive and grapeseed oils rate a 2 (out of 5). I hope this review helps someone. Thanks to everyone who reviewed this before, I'm really pleased I found this! *BTW - as a makeup remover, this stuff isn't so great. It just smears it around and too much is needed, making it a very expensive makeup remover! **UPDATE** This stuff is liquid gold, I swear! After a few days my blackheads and clogged pores are almost completely gone. The fine lines around my eyes are diminishing. I'm gobsmacked. I don't understand it, but I'm not complaining! (I did get 2 cystic pimples likely as a 'purge' but they cleared up fast. It's a small price to pay in the short term for having terrific skin - finally!)

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No