July 31, 2014 | 1979 users online

Concealers - MAC - Pro Longwear Concealer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2010 2:08:00 PM More reviews by xphile

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this concealer based on the rave reviews I saw on MUA. I'm glad I did! I had been using the cheap Maybelline cover stick for years because it was convenient (portable and easy to apply), but I was never really satisfied with the coverage it provided. MAC Pro Longwear, however, is a whole 'nother animal.

MAC Pro provides great coverage and blends with my skin tones perfectly (I got NW-25 and it's perfect for my late-summer skin tones). It appears a bit orange-y when you first dab it on, but once it dries, it blends in perfectly. Likewise, it felt a bit oily to me when I first put it on (which is death to my prone-to-be-oily skin), but it dried "dry". Even better, it has not broken me out (yay!).

I really only have one complaint about this product, and it's a relatively minor one. In particular, I would agree with those who have said that the design of the pump bottle leaves something to be desired. It's way too easy to pump out too much product, so you need a VERY light touch. A tiny, tiny amount is needed to do the job.

One other minor annoyance is that MAC's color scheme is really counterintuitive and backwards (at least IMO). Basically, they have shades in "NW" ("neutral warm") and "NC" ("neutral cool"). You might think that if you have cool skin tones, you'd go for the NC and vice versa. However, it's just the opposite: If you have cool skin tones (or more specifically, undertones), you need to get the "NW" to counteract the blue/pink undertones of your skin and if you have warm skin undertones, you need to get the "NC". (BTW, the way to determine your skin undertones is to look at the skin on the underside of your forearm. Generally, if your veins appear "blue", then you have cool undertones, and if your veins appear "green", you have warm undertones.)

I still wish that I could get this kind of coverage with the more convenient cover stick (and, in fact, I still bring the Maybelline cover stick with me in my purse for touch-ups as needed during the day), but MAC has gone a long way in changing my attitudes toward liquid concealers.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2010 1:43:00 PM More reviews by LekiaLPTBeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really really like this product. i am normally not a MAC person at all, however something about this product interested me. So I gave it a try. I had to go with a shade lighter (I am normally a NC50 and I to get a NC45 in this concealer), but that was no problem because I was matched at the store. I use this as a overall foundation and then dab extra coverage on my very dark spots on my face. To do all of this, I only need one pump, not even a full pump. And this hasnt broken me out and MAC normally does break me out which is why I stay away. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 5:25:00 PM More reviews by bunnyb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have searched high and low for a transfer resistant concealer for YEARS and I am happy to say that I have finally found it in Mac Pro longwear. I don't wear concealer the way that "normal" people do which is usually in the under eye area. I need concealer to cover marks and hyperpigmentation that is underneath my chin and in the neck area. Due to PCOS, I am a woman who has to shave daily and I used to remove my facial hair by waxing. Unfortunately, waxing caused ingrown hair follicles and bumps which eventually led to dark marks, spots, and hyperpigmentation. I have tried Dermablend and countless concealers to conceal my chin area to no avail. Most concealers either don't cover as well or rub off on my clothing and everyone else when I tend to give someone a hug. I wasn't expecting too much from the Mac Pro Longwear but I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't transfer, covers really well and lasts a long time. The only problem is finding the correct color. They differ drastically when compared to the Mac Studio Finish. The Pro Longwear colors run much much lighter so you need to adjust your shade accordingly. Other than that, it's a great product. A lot of people complain about the pump dispensing too much product but I find that it dispenses the perfect amount since I apply it underneath my chin. Hope this helps someone!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2010 4:53:00 PM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS:
- Can be worn alone without powder to set.
- Won't budge once it's dry on my normal skin areas.
- Not all shades are available, but there is still a decent amount of shades to pick from for warm to cool tones.
- Not too thick nor watery, the consistency is a perfect blend between a MAC Select Cover-Up and MAC Studio Finish concealers.
- Comes off easily with a good makeup remover.
- You get a good amount for daily use that can last longer than the stamped expiration date of 6 months.

CONS:
- Having owned almost all of MAC's concealers (except for Select Moisturecover) in the same shades for my under eye area, NW25, are all a great match at canceling out my dark circles. Pro Longwear concealer in NW25 when swatched and tested all match the same shading as my other MAC concealers. The big difference between Pro and the rest of the MAC concealers (I own) is that Pro dried darker and oxidized in time. The Pro's pink undertone in my NW25 was also more apparent once the concealer was dry, making it obnoxiously visible that I concealed. When gurus say pink is great at concealing darkness, they forgot to warn us too much pink can be unflattering, especially when the shade oxidizes.
- The "gray" cast is true for me when I had this concealer on my under eyes. No matter how little or more I added to conceal my circles, a gray cast always appeared once the concealer dried and set. The gray cast was so visible that I was able to see it without my glasses or contacts on, and I'm blind as a bat!
- It dries too quickly for my liking, which is more annoying for a concealer than a foundation. Building it up was annoying as well, once a layer was dry, adding another layer over made it look "make-upy" (thick) and visibly unnatural for under eye concealing.
- While 1 layer can look natural on the skin, the concealing and cover up power of that 1 layer is weak. There is still visible flaw, defeating the purpose of calling it a "conceal"er. If you have the patience to work up to more than 1 layer without making it look thickly visible then this might work for you. For me, I like concealers than can manage 1 layer with decent coverage.
- Did not work great for covering discolorations or dark spots. I use all of my MAC concealers in NW shades to counteract my dark spots, but the NW in Pro is so pink and lacks concealing power, that it accentuated my spots more. I do not recommend using NW for spot concealment with this concealer unless your overall skin tone shade is in the NW range, then it will just match your skin and hopefully the pink will blend right in. I have not tried the NC in Pro because they were either too orange or yellow when I swatched them.
- I've applied this concealer using my fingers, sponge, MACs #217, #222, #242, #188 and other concealer, tapered, blending brushes I own. Nothing I used made applying this concealer any easier. It would dry too quickly on parts I started with before I could get to parts I wanted to conceal. The worse brush to use with this was the #217, it just blended "OUT" the concealing aspect. Using my fingers made it hard to blend due to the concealer drying up quickly on my finger tips while still applying. The best and most tolerable for me was a fluffy blending brush like Sonia Kashuk's white handle crease eye brush.
- This can sit on fine lines and accentuate them, it all depends on how much layer you put and how well you've managed to blend it. If you plan on applying a thick layer, work FAST and concentrate on your fine lines before it dries.
- It will not move, but on oilier parts it has managed to creep off. Using the back of your hand as a palette to pump the product out then using a baby wipe to wipe the rest off your hand will still leave you with Pro residue. I found it best to use an actual makeup removing wipe, which I found to be such a waste for just clean-ups since baby wipes are a lot cheaper.
- While the size amount is decent, the annoying pump makes wasting product a nightmare. I pump the product out in a sample jar and use the remaining over pumped out product the next day.
- The glass bottle is more attractive than plastic type concealer bottles, but if you're a klutz like me dropping this and breaking it is a huge con. I have to keep it in the box as a safety precaution from accidental drops once I store it away.
- The paint smell, it's like opening a small bottle of white out. The smell is the strongest when the concealer is wet. Once dry on the skin, the smell subsides.

Overall, this is the worse under eye concealer I have ever tried. I don't even want to try another shade/tone just for my blemishes because of the quick drying action it does. I'm going to stick to my MAC Select Cover-Ups for my under eyes and Studio Sculpt concealer for my blemishes, dark spots etc. This is going back pronto!

20 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 11:05:00 AM More reviews by EmilyM01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I just bought this concealer over the weekend and I love it! I have purpleish dark cirles, not OTT, but they ARE there and I hate walking out the house without concealer. This really works great, if you have select cover-up than you can kinda get an idea about the consistancy of this product but, it is much thinner. You have to be careful when pumping it out otherwise too much will come out. I think the packaging is not the best but the results make up for it so it's all good. The MAC Asso. told me this concealer lasts up to 15 hours and I think it lives up to it. I put this on in the morning around 11am and didn't take my makeup off until about 2am and my undereye area still looked awesome. I would recommend this to all the people that have dark circles, it's the best!! Oh and the smell of it smells just like Studio Fix Fluid whereas other concealers that I have (select cover up & studio finish) do not have a scent so keep that in mind! Hope this helps!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2010 6:43:00 AM More reviews by umie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm NC50 in the foundation shade. I tried NC45 and NW40 (NW45 being too dark-orange for me) for my concealer and they both gave me a greyish "halo" which accentuted my dark circles.
The texture is not bad but could be drying for some. I liked the texture better than the select and finish, which were cakey on me (but they never gave me that greyish shade)
BUT this greyish color is THE good reason that made me return it. ODD, ODD, ODD.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 1:38:00 AM More reviews by leo36

Purchased this to use for the under eye area. ( I have the worst undeye circles) Normally I am an NC35 or 40 but the SA, gave me some great advice and suggested the NW25, to counteract the dark circles and prevent the under eye area from turning a greyish cast, which is probably why I don't have the problem that some of the reviewers below have been complaining about. Once I put on my foundation etc... it just all blends in and looks great. Don't know how this would look on the rest of my face, don't use it for that, but would probably need a different shade that is more golden.

EDIT: wanted to add that if you are having problems w/caking or dryness, I just use alot of eyecream and work the concealer in w/ a brush before the eyecream absorbs.This gives you time to blend it in. I noticed some of the reviews saying that it dried to fast, the MAC SA suggested this when I noticed the concealer was looking to dry, this makes a huge differance.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2010 8:20:00 PM More reviews by Lovemymakeup

Finally found my HG concealer , I've used them all, benefit , BB, Laura Marcier, dermablend , cover fx, Kat Von D ,ect..... I was sold on my Mac studio finish which is a great product and I thought it couldn't get better than that well ..... It did with this product , the Mac SA said thus came a lil darker and gave me a sample of the NC 20 and NC 30 ( I'm NC 30 on all my Mac concealers and NC 35 in my Mac studio Fix ) anyway being that I'm a stylist / makeup artist I'm around people all day and don't like to re apply my makeup at all so I need something that last especially in this hot , muggy , Tx weather ! Well Mac truly outdid itself ;) this goes on light and doesn't feel cakey it didn't crease at all and didn't oxidize , when I apply it I use my concealer brush and pat it to my eye area . I did notice that it dries pretty fast but it's easy to Wk with , very happy w this product so glad it's not LE ..cause I would have to hoard this product ! Lol
Way to go Mac ;)
Update : I just noticed that I'm wasting allot of product w 1 pump that this product dispenses ..... I've been using a lil container to put in what's left of my 1 pump , hope Mac would of made a diffrent consistency instead of this being in liquid w a pump ! But I guess we can't have our cake n eat it too! Lol still love this product and will keep using it !!!!! 4ever !!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2010 1:40:00 PM More reviews by gandydancer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you have sensitive eyes, you might want to ask for a sample to try this at home before deciding whether to buy. This makes my uber-sensitive eyes sting and water, even though the product stays beneath my eyes, of course. Nothing else in my routine changed and my brushes were impeccably clean. To be sure this was the problem, the next morning I applied a little of this alone beneath my eyes and waited. Within 15-20 minutes the stinging returned and when I removed the concealer the irritation began to subside almost immediately.

But if this does not bother your eyes, it's a good concealer, but not a great one. I've had dark circles since birth and this covers to a degree but not completely. It's a thick formula, best applied by patting, either with a concealer brush or the ring finger.

The best aspect of this is the many shades available. I am NW25 and the match was bang-on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2010 1:32:00 PM More reviews by marippe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

bought this along w/ the pro longwear foundation (nc15), and i LOVE it! the best concealer i've ever used. one pump covers all of my imperfections and dark circles, and evens out the redness in my sensitive skin. i'm glad i finally gave mac face products a try.. now i'm a fan for life!