January 29, 2015 | 1263 users online

Concealers - MAC - Pro Longwear Concealer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2011 2:04:00 AM More reviews by confooseddesi608

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I only use under-eye concealer, so I'll be reviewing it as such.

I have to admit . . . I'm pretty shocked that this received rave reviews. This is one of MAC's highest rated concealers. As soon as I saw MAC had a new concealer and it was rated above a 4 on MUA, I was ridiculously excited (more excited than someone should get over a concealer :o) ). So much for my excitement . . .

Cost: MAC concealers are very reasonably priced for being a medium-end (as opposed to high- or low-end) brand, and for the amount of concealer you get. It's $16.50 USD (at least at Macy's in NY) for 0.30 ounces of concealer, which translates to $55 dollars per ounce--not a lot of money, considering many drugstore concealers have only a third of this amount for half the price. (Consider L'Oreal Visible Lift Under Eye at $239.80 per ounce, or Revlon Age Defying Spa Concealer at $262.25 per ounce. Of course these are highlighter-style pens, which tend to give you less product than other concealers.)

Packaging: This is one of the areas wherein this concealer suffers the most. I believe many other reviewers have bemoaned the limitations of the ridiculous pump that always pumps out too much. A simple squeeze tube would have been infinitely easier. Also, some reviewers mentioned that it was glass, which could break if dropped. I am notoriously clumsy, so that's a major deterrent for me.

Texture: This concealer is (obviously) a liquid, not creamy and slightly thick. It is not moisturizing, because once applied, it feels like you have makeup (or really, paint) under your eyes. It just feels icky and dry.

Coverage: The coverage from this is okay, but nothing spectacular. It covers my eye circles (more like two black eyes) pretty well, but it's not incredibly pigmented. For heavy hyper-pigmentation issues, I wouldn't think this coverage would be adequate; otherwise, I think it would satisfy most people.

Method of application: This is a liquid, so I always use a concealer brush (EcoTools makes a great concealer brush which you can find at many drugstores for less than five bucks, and Sonia Kashuk makes a good one for around $6 at Target). I squeeze the pump and enough product comes out for both eyes; I swipe the liquid on the brush and apply under my eyes in gentle patting motions, until the circles are completely covered. A concealer brush is also ideal for blending the outer edges of the product so you don't look like you have two big splotches of color on your face.

Endurance: Hmm. I would definitely say it's long lasting, because once it's set, it doesn't look any different a couple hours later. The problem is in the "setting" itself. When applied, it looks great. If it stayed that way, I would be sold. It doesn't. It 1) oxidizes (I believe that's the term) and turns noticeably darker about 30 mins-1 hour after application. This wouldn't be a problem normally; I considered just choosing a lighter shade and letting the "set" color match my skin tone; but the color sets to this awful, grayish tone. Not attractive, no matter how light or dark it is. 2) It settled into my fine lines--horribly! It highlighted lines I didn't even know existed. It looked dry and cracky, and no amount of pulling or tugging could make the product look smooth on my skin once it set. My only choice was to reapply over the lines or just take it off completely.

Shades: MAC, compared to most brands, has an absolutely fabulous shade selection. I don't know if they have shades fair enough for the fairest ladies (they seem light to me, but what would I know!) and I doubt they have shades for the darkest ladies, but the ones in between have plenty to choose from. Unfortunately, MAC concealer doesn't come in my foundation (winter) shade, NC40. I use NC42, which is not too much noticeably darker; so if I truly liked this concealer, it wouldn't be a problem using the NC42. Also, this shade is darker than the NC42 of Select Cover-Up, so the shades among MAC concealers may not exactly match up. Shades range from NC(warm)/NW(cool)15 (fair) to NC/NW50 (dark).

Availability: Where I come from (NY area) MAC is easily available. You can find it at major Macy's stores, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, etc., or go to http://www.maccosmetics.com/locator/index.tmpl to check where exactly your nearest MAC is. You could also find it online, but there would be a shipping charge, and you wouldn't be able to test it.

Bottom line: If you're looking for an under-eye concealer, I HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere, especially if you have fine lines. It's not moisturizing enough either. However, if you're looking for a long-lasting spot concealer, this may be it for you. (I'm not sure it will oxidize on everyone, because perhaps my skin oils or something else contributes to the oxidation, and whether oxidation of makeup occurs depends on an individual's skin. I've had tons of trouble with other concealers oxidizing on me (not every concealer, just a fair few), so it may just be my skin's dysfunction. It's worth a shot; MAC has testers, and I believe most MAC's will let you return, even if it's opened, but ALWAYS ask before purchasing!

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Tribehenin, Magnesium Sulfate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Methicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Laureth-7, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Sorbic Acid [may contain] (CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

MAC's product description: "A lightweight fluid concealer that provides medium to full coverage with a comfortable, natural matte finish. Colour-true formula lasts up to 15 hours. Helps conceal and correct the look of under-eye circles, and discolorations. Comes in a clear glass vial with a matte black pump."

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2011 6:45:00 PM More reviews by dundada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love this stuff, it's better than foundation! I use it as foundation actually in my foundation color NC45, and then I just blend it everywhere whith a fluffy eyeshadow brush! AND, and...I don't use any powder with it, just the MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50 underneath it. It's all still here!

I don't know how it would fare during a hot, sticky REAL summer though, but we shall see although where I live sadly THAT weather may not even happen!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2011 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Lulu2387

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This to me is by far the best Concealer that I've purchased from Mac. It blends well with my complexion NC50 and it's not too Red or Yellow based. It works great on my oily skin and gives me the right amount of coverage. The color match also goes well with my Bare Minerals Matte Golden Deep Foundation and with those two combinations I can create an everyday look or an high glam, going out somewhere special look. Overall great product and has great staying power and a more true to match skin match for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2011 3:10:00 PM More reviews by mangoevasion

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I read reviews about this so I thought I'd give it a try. A lady tried the concealer on for me and I loved it!

Pros: - It covers beautifly and is also buildable coverage
- A lot of colour ranges
- Blends easily
- Unexpensive
- Great for under eye circles ( like what I have )

Cons: - The pump gives out too much and you end up wasting the concealer
But all in all, this is my favourite concealer being that I tried so many before. Would repurchase in the future.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2011 9:41:00 AM More reviews by sweetcaroline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The product is really great. Coverage is really smooth and it blends easily. I have the matching foundation. My Holy Grail and I've tried a lot of concealers to cover my redness!! I just hate the dispenser, it does pump out too much and ends up a mess all over the cap.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2011 5:27:00 AM More reviews by Platosfriend

What this concealer does is dry on your skin and stay there. It is medium coverage, buildable to full coverage. You have to work fast with it cos if it dries before you've finished blending, you're stuck with streaks and uneveness. It does settle into fine lines and it's impossible to correct that once it dried. It does quite the opposite of moisturizing, I feel it dries my skin out. I don't think that's helping with wrinkles on the long term. One thing I like about it is that it doesn't look cakey at all. The colours are different then the Mac usual colours. In studio sculpt concealer I am NC20, in the pro longwear, NC20 is too dark and VERY yellow.
The pump releases too much product. You need to pump it into a recipient and then use the amount you need and save the rest for the next application, otherwise you'll waste a lot of product.
I think this is very useful if you go clubbing or when it's very hot and humid outside.
If you wanna wear it in the winter, I recommend using a good moisturizer under it and a dab of another creamier concealer so that the long wear concealer doesn't interact directly with your skin, but only settles the other concealer.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2011 3:40:00 PM More reviews by gossipgirlxoxo212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product because the MAC lady told me i could use it on blemishes but it doesnt cover redness and blemishes well for me and its breaks me out. I don't really have under eye circles ,so now i have no use for this. Sometimes if i have time i apply a small bit under my eyes to brighten them but for me it was a waste of money. But if you do have undereye circles this is a great product but as for blemishes it doesnt conceal and if you have oily skin ,it melts off around the nose area. Didnt work for me,dissapointed.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2011 10:36:00 PM More reviews by celkin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This concealer is great, albeit HEAVY/full coverage. As everyone else here has mentioned it is very pigmented and lasts the whole day and more, without looking cakey or dry.
I have extremely dry skin in winter and a lot of summer and this concealer adds a bit of dewiness.

The only con I have is, much like the foundation, it has given me breakouts(which I rarely get at all). I now only use this under my eyes and never put it on my chin or jawline. It is still quite mask-like if I use it under-eye.

Knocked this down to two lippies. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and trialled using different products to see if this was giving me the acne and yep it seems all MAC foundation and concealer products break me out. Very disappointing. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by yourmum

Amazing product. I love this concealer because not only does it offer a full coverage, its liquid texture smooths over the contours of the under eye area. Packaging can sometimes dispense too much and get a tad dirty around the top, but that's me being picky. My dark DARK circles are no longer a problem!
Forgot to add that this can also be slightly drying around the eyes, so be sure to apply eye cream before putting this on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

BEST CONCEALER from MAC...so far I have tried Studio Sculpt Concealer, Studio Finish Concealer, Select Moisturecover Concealer, and this one -Pro Longwear Concealer. A~M~A~Z~I~N~G. I wear it in NC15, and Revlon CS for comb/oily in Buff, topped with Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Light.

Wonderful to apply, so smooth and it provides excellent high coverage! No creasing on my aging skin at all. And I have even wore this as foundation! Yea, it is that good. The coverage reminded me of MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation, except there was NO rubbing off, separating, or ugly cake up. Of course I use a moisturizer first (Clinique DDML) then primer (BE Prime Time orig) before applying my fndt/concealer.

Really, this concealer provides the best coverage for under eye circles and blemishes! If you are considering a MAC concealer, or just want one that is outstanding, give this one a try! Don't wait, go get it!!