BeneFit Cosmetics HOOLA

4.1

I must admit..I have a problem with being faithful to this product. I love Nars Laguna too much and tend to stick to one product at a time..but I always end up coming back to this one! I've been using it for about 4 years now, and I've never found anything that gives a better true tan color. Laguna is glamorous, but this is what I use when I just want to look more natural and don't want shimmer all over my face. An absolute favorite of mine.

on 12/13/2008 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Loves itttt! Duh

on 12/9/2008 6:29:00 PM

Absolutely adore this product!!!Would look like a total washout without it!!Im always searching for the perfect product and Hoola has sealed its place in the bronzer category!!Its the perfect colour without the shimmer which is very rare with bronzers..i think make-up companies think the more shimmer the better!!
Ive read a few reviews and i agree with people that it does take a while to get used to how it works best...i find by dabbing it lightly and then blowing on the brush gives you a perfect amount to apply!!The brush you get with it is useless so opt for a better powder brush!!i invested in the mac powder brush and its fab!!

on 12/8/2008 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I got this product about 2 years ago during the summer, and after a long search in Sephora for the perfect bronzing powder, (which for me means: No orange, No pink, No shimmer/glitter And No flowery/tropical scent) I came upon 'Hoola'..i was extremely excited to finally have such a perfect, natural bronzer in front of me, completely matte and golden based, with almost an olive undertone in it, but when i came home to try it, the results were terrible, my face looked like stained with dirt and soil, as if I have walked off the Sahara desert for a whole day during a sand storm... I tried with different brushes (since the little brush attached is totally useless) and technics but nothing seemed to work, i was sad, however i decided to keep it in my makeup drawer and find a way to use it some day later.... That was about 2 years ago, during the peak of summer in nyc,(very humid) but then last week as I was switching products from my everyday bag to my storage drawer (because the change of seasons since my skin tone changes A LOT through the year), i realized i couldnt wear my Becca face powder in Mocha right now because I was way too pale for it... so while digging the cosmetics i stumbled with the Hoola little bronzer and decided to give it another try, this time my skin being way lighter in color, and with a temperature of about 60*f less, and with zero humidity, meaning my pores way tighter as well...after a light dust with T.leclerc in banane, (being the face completely dry and smooth) i lightly dusted my powder brush with Hoola and gave my face a feather touch all over with it....ahhhh!!! big difference from what i remember from 2 years ago!!! this time it gave me a nice and elegant, golden beige glow!!!..so I concluded realizing that this product needs to be used VERY carefully, first: this works only for medium/light, light and even fair skins, as long as it has olive or yellow undertones, second: your face needs to be completely smoothed and already 'sealed' with a good mattifying facial powder, then you add hoola as the finishing touch..So DONT try to use it on a shiny, face to get rid of the shines, because you will only get a mess....and DONT use the brush that comes with it (I dont think anyone does it anyway) Use a big and fluffy powder brush instead, it is VERY pigmented, so dust it VERY lightly, and pass it around your face as if you were only tickling it, and gradually build the coverage as needed...so remember: using it lightly as a finishing touch on a perfectly clean and powdered face is the secret! Also found that if you have a 'luminizing' yellow toned powder underneath(T.leclerc banane) the result is even better, because the 'light' of such powder will come out from the inside out.
Yeah the price is a little expensive for a bronzer, but again a little goes a looong way so is not bad, the packaging is not very glamourous and looks more like a toy of a toddler, but again what matters is whats inside of it... and i dont know if i would buy it again since i still have the entire thing with me and probably will for a long time and by then there will be something new to try for sure!!

I cannot believe I havenít reviewed this yet! When I first used this, I pretty much detested it to the fullest degree. I just felt it looked too dark and muddy. It wasnít very forgiving. I have become more inept in the art of makeup brushes and how to apply makeup, and have come to really like this contouring wonder. As seen in my Benefit Dandelion beauty powder review, I realized when I use Hoola with a VERY light hand and an angled brush, it really accentuates my cheeks and adds a very realistic warmth that looks matte in finish w/ out any trace of orange. I would describe it an almondy brown. Whereas, Benefit Dandelion is a light pink beauty powder that compliments the sculpted look of Hoola, by making the cheek pop with its brightening affect. It looks so elegant, yet natural. Hoola of course works with many blush colors, but I really like the contrast these two products provide when used together.

on 11/26/2008 10:19:00 AM

Just OK, but I do like that fact that it is a very neutral color & very matte w/out sparkle, so it looks more like a real tan than a lot of other bronzers. It needs to be applied w/a very light hand, though, or else it will look like you have dirt on your face. I don't really like the box, either b/c it's not travel friendly/

on 11/1/2008 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my HG bronzer - love it! Why? Because it just never turns orange on my skin, which most bronzers do. One look at it and you can see why. It definitely doesn't have one bit of an orange tinge to it in the container. Some people might think it looks a little 'dead', but once on my skin, it seems to come alive and look really natural. It's texture is also very pleasant, and it doesn't have any frost or sparkles in it. I like that. After all, the last time I tanned my face years ago, I don't remember the sun leaving a frosty glow. A definite Benefit winner. I hope this product is never discontinued.

on 10/28/2008 9:14:00 PM

The things I like about this product are that is it matte - which for a bronzer is somewhat rare as many have sparkles or glitter (which is sometimes nice but sometimes you just want a matte bronzer) so you can use it just on your cheeks or lightly sweep it all over your face. I find that it is believeable when swept over the entire face becuase it does not have glitter. The packaging is kind of cute but the brush is pretty useless. The price can be a little steep but it does last forever.

on 10/22/2008 5:21:00 PM

I really like this! It's the bronzer I've been looking for. I decided to give this a try after using and loving Benefit Dandelion (which I use as a sheer blush). For reference, I have a lighter complexion, not super pale or "ivory" but on the fair side (with warm tones). I get some nice color in the summer without even trying, and was hoping to find a way to fake it as we go into winter. However, I didn't want anything shimmery, orange, or overly bronze. This, therefore, is perfect. It's a matte color that is a natural tan shade. Not bronze or orange. Just tan. I actually might try this as a brow color too as it looks a lot like tan eyeshadows that have worked well for this purpose. :) Anyway I apply this with a regular blush brush (bronzer brushes are usually too dense and pick up too much product and I over-do it). I tap it on my hand first, then sweep it cheeks once. That's all I need! It makes my cheekbones pop out like when they are tan from the sun. I am very impressed with this. Since it's matte, it's also great for contouring (jawline, nose, cheekbones, etc). The smell is sort of strange. I think it's supposed to be brown sugar, which is.. kind of cute. But I still prefer my cosmetic products to be fragrance free.

I knocked one point off because I feel this is too expensive for the product you get ($28), dislike the cardboard packaging, and the brush that comes with it sucks.

on 10/22/2008 5:02:00 PM

There is a God! I love, love LOVE this product. I have tried every bronzer on the planet. Other bronzers made me all glittery (and not "glowing" as promised), while enlarging my pores in the process (yes, mica enlarges those pores). Other bronzers made me look orange or red.

I read about Hoola as a great matte, non-glimmery bronzer and it also came highly recommended by my cousin. A year passed since it came recommended and cried over every stupid mineral bronzer I tried.

I finally said enough was enough, so I spent $30 on Hoola and it was the best $30 I have ever spent. I sweep Hoola on my face and it's the BEST color ever. Perfect tan without making my face streaky (granted I had to blend it a little). Perfect matte with no shiny, sparkly crap all over my face. And best of all? My pores look small again and the bronzer stays in place.

I have only used this product for a couple weeks, so now my only main concern is breaking out. So far, so good. I just hope that it doesn't happen because I don't know if you will be able to pry this product out of my hands!

***Update***
I had to give an update. I think I got a little too excited. This product ended up making me break out. I am very sad because I loved the matte finish. I am also seeing what a lot of reviewers are talking about when getting that "muddy" look. When I initially reviewed this, I was fairly tan, so this color was great. Now that we're in the winter months and I have my pale skin back, this product makes me look really muddy with just a little application and is NOT blendable on my pale skin. So, I am on the search again for the perfect bronzer........... I will hang on to it however for the summer months.

Popular Bronzers