MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

on 12/30/2008 9:05:00 PM

This brush is as good as everyone says it is. I used it for blush EVERY day, I've had it a year and it looks as good as new after a quick wash.

on 12/30/2008 4:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Excellent brush, like everyone says it will give you an airbrushed finish. It is a bit to large to apply blush for people with high cheekbones, so I don't use it for that. I am using it for finishing powder and reach for it constantly. The brush is easy to clean, luckily I did not have a problem with shedding. Smells fine from the beginning, and I have heard it is great for applying liquid foundation.

The MAC#187 is an excellent multipurpose brush for applying foundation, powder, blush, and highlighters. I prefer to use stippling brushes for application of cosmetics because of the natural airbrushing look. I would have given 5 lippies if the brush didn't bleed with every washing. I've had the 187 for almost a year and it is still bleeding! One time, I thought all the dye drained off the brush when drying; however, when I applied my liquid foundation, I ended up getting the grayish black dye on my face! Another thing about this brush is that it will shed a few hairs the first few times. I remember I had to pick off a few hairs from my face after applying liquid foundation. This also happened when a MAC makeup artist was giving me a makeover. She used the MAC#187 to apply studio tech on my face and she also had to pick up the shedding hairs off my face. After awhile, the brush will stop shedding. I use the MAC#187 on a daily basis but I prefer the cheaper Ulta Professional Highlighter Powder brush (also a stippling brush) over it. If you're on a budget, grab the Ulta brush (check out its review on makeupalley), it works just as well as the MAC#187 and it will only bleed after 1-2 washings (the bristles also look and feel the same but the handles are different). I love MAC but why pay $42 for a brush when there's a cheaper dupe that works just as well. With a discount, I only paid 19 bucks for Ulta's brush. If you already have the MAC#187, I suggest that you try out the Ulta highlighter powder brush and compare it as well. For those of you who don't have the 187, in my opinion, you won't be missing out on it if you use the Ulta highlighter powder brush.

on 12/29/2008 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I've got 2 of the 187; One for foundation & the other for the more pigmented blushes & highlighters. It's a really multi-functional brush and gives a really airbrushes finish without too much effort.

I usually use my fingers for liquid foundations but on my lazy days & days I don't want to get my fingers dirty, this brush is great.

on 12/29/2008 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

LOOOOVVEEE this brush!!! It was truly worth the $42. I use it with MAC's Face & Body foundation and it applies foundation like magic. It actually makes application of foundation feel good (sounds weird but true). Now I want the 188 for blush application!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I pretty much begged and pleaded for this for Christmas and I'm glad I did :) I have been using the flirt skunk which is good but not very dense. This distributes my blush perfectly, although I did learn that even though it distributes pigment so lightly that doesn't mean I can pile NARS blush on the brush and then onto my face without looking like Dolly Parton! I haven't tried it with foundation yet but I can see that going swimmingly. I will report back on that front. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it totally reeked like chemicals when I took it out of the plastic. Horribly. I washed it with gentle cleanser and it bounced back as soft as ever and stink-free.

on 12/29/2008 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a must have brush that can be so variedly used to amazing results. I love this for buffing out my liquid foundation, buffing on bronzer, for putting on powder or blush. This is the best! A great and worthwhile investment piece.

on 12/29/2008 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

My boyfriend purchased me 2008's Adoring Carmine brush collection, which came with this brush. It is the special edition brush; not full size. This, however, was the main reason that I wanted this set. It applies liquid foundation like a dream. I never knew just how amazing Studio Fix Fluid by MAC could look & apply until I used this brush. It also works for powder as well, but I absolutely love it for my liquid foundation! If this brush becomes shabby, I will definitely buy the full size brush!

on 12/28/2008 3:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This was my first foray into the world of MAC brushes. I didn't think a brush could make this much of a difference to the quality of finish I get with foundation. Simply put, it will make your skin look as flawless as it could possibly be. I use LM MMU and you really can't tell I'm wearing anything. I've received more compliments about my skin than I ever have in my life.

You know the routine - I tip a small amount of powder into the lid, swirl the brush around, dab on face focusing on t-zone, and buff out in small circles. That's all you need to do. I also use it after applying blush to blend. If I could afford it I would buy another one of these to apply the blush also.

It IS expensive. But it's absolutely worth it. Don't go for the cheaper option on this one, and for goodness' sake don't get it off ebay, they're all fake. Save up and treat yourself. Your skin will thank you. Also, if you do buy it, look after it. I wash mine with baby shampoo at least once a week. It's most effective when clean and will last you longer.

on 12/27/2008 2:04:00 PM

So I got a chance to try this brush because I received a gift card for Christmas, which is lucky, because the brush was about $45 including tax at Nordstrom. I have to say I am very happy that I did buy it, because it definitely beats my old foundation and powder brushes. I use Bare Escentuals foundation, powder, and concealer, and I used to apply foundation with their Handy Buki Brush. I liked the Handy Buki because it offered very complete coverage, but I noticed that it was extremely easy to go overboard in your application and the makeup started to look shiny and cakey. Afterwards, I applied my Mineral Veil finishing powder with BE flawless face brush, and sometimes had problems with the powder looking cakey, chalky, or just weirdly distinct from my foundation. I wanted my different products to blend together, so this was a problem. When I started my foundation with the MAC 187 this morning, I was a little disappointed, because I noticed it wasn't putting as much product on my face as the Buki, and I was worried about blemishes showing through. However, I looked at my face a minute later and realized that, yes, there was less foundation on my face, but the foundation stil covered my flaws! I was skeptical when I saw all that *skin* showing through my makeup, but I realized that I looked so much more natural with the MAC brush. This brush is very expensive, but so far, I would deem it worthwhile, and if I used this brush long enough with continually good results, I could see myself repurchasing it. So though I was hesitant about the coverage initially, I am now convinced that this brush offers airbrushed, natural, your-skin-but-better coverage!!

Popular Makeup Brushes