November 27, 2014 | 1010 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2009 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Lk21

This is my favourite everyday base to use. Since I don't like to wear eyeshadows on a regular basis, this is perfect for a natural look. It conceals the darkness that I have on my lids, and I top it off with MAC's Brule eyeshadow, which sets it. I even use MAC's Phloof! eyeshadow sometimes, if I want to look more "awake".

I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to try out a Paint Pot, but doesn't know which one to use. These things are like butter! So easy to spread, and they last all day and don't crease.

I plan on getting more shades in the future for sure! And they're not that expensive :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2009 12:39:00 PM More reviews by Kittemans

I like this product but the thing is you can't use it for bright colors. So then i just use UDPP. But for everyday natural's it's a perfect fit!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2009 12:36:00 PM More reviews by lollidolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a good product. It dries to a silky finish and the color is almost a perfect match for me. It's just a little more orange than my skin tone but I don't use it alone so it doesn't have to be a perfect match. The thing I dont like is it makes my eyelids crease. I have rather large eyes and alot of eyelid space and it gives me a crease right in the middle. I fix it by putting the tiniest bit of eye cream on them and its fine. I do like that my eyeshadow lasts alot longer. Overall It is a good product and I will continue to use it with some tweaking.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 9:00:00 PM More reviews by ianastar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this for EVERY makeover that I do. It keeps colors true, from creasing and fading throughout the day.

It's a good eye base for almost every skincolor. It blends beautifully and dries to a soft poweder finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2009 1:42:00 PM More reviews by mdjmsj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a definite HG for me! I use it as a base for all of my eyeshadows, especially my Fyrinnae pigments (because of the slightly sticky consistency). It makes them long lasting, holds the shimmer/glitter without making me look like a disco, and minimizes fall out. Plus, the colors look gorgeous and vibrant, even when applied dry using the patting method. I'm a NW15 and this is a nice match for my skintone. It is just a neutral, slightly rosy shade that is close to my skintone. Applies well, creamy and easy to blend. I like the little screw top jar too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 4:50:00 PM More reviews by rebeccaae

I really really like this product. I'm fair to med and this is almost a perfect matte match for my eyelids. It's so useful.. on it's own, like a said, it's almost a match but makes your lids look flawless and therefore, you, more awake! It also make a great base for shadows and really helps them stay strong and last hours longer. I bought this for that reason but now that i've been using it - i think i might try some other colors just to use as shadows on their own.

The textrure is smooth and applies very easily with your finger (this warms it and makes it apply evenly.. I just love MAC these days, constantly impressed!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2009 9:06:00 PM More reviews by cherrim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite product to use as an eyeshadow base or just to wear alone. It evens out the color of my reddish eyelids, smooths out the skin, and loose pigments adhere quite well. My eyelids are slightly dry. I find it is easy to blend with this as a primer (unlike UDPP which I find interferes with blending). No creasing all day if used as a base. The finish looks convincingly natural when I'm trying to go for the no makeup look.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2009 9:50:00 PM More reviews by ybabe

So I'm rushing to get to the MAC store by eight o'clock, which is when they were closing according to a phone call earlier that day. I couldn't get a park anywhere nearby, so I had to park miles away and RUN to the store. By the time I got there it was five minutes to eight and the glass door was shut. I smiled expectantly through the glass at one of the sales assistants, and she opened the door about an inch and said "we're actually closed." It wasn't even eight o'clock yet! I said "please, can you just let me in to buy one thing? I know exactly what I want." She pursed her lips and with a sour expression opened the door for me. "What did you want?" I had finally decided to buy a MAC Paint Pot in Painterly, and no disapproving sales lady was going to weaken my resolve! She acted like she was doing me a huge favor by allowing me to hand over my hard-earned cash five minutes BEFORE closing time, but with my Painterly Paint Pot safely tucked away in my handbag, I didn't care.

I honestly don't know why it took me so long to get Painterly. I have five other Paint Pots, none of them perfect: Soft Ochre is a little dry in texture, Groundwork is nice but a little boring, Cash Flow is very frosty, Rubenesque doesn't work with some of my more neutral eyeshadows and Quite Natural is too dark to use other than very sparingly. Despite their drawbacks, I love them all, but I think Painterly is going to become my favorite! It is definitely the most versatile of my Paint Pots, and works under just about any eyeshadow. It's true that there's not much color payoff, but I don't mind, as I'm a neutral girl at heart! Love this!

*EDIT* I think I was looking at Painterly with rose-colored glasses after lemming it for so long. Although I love the texture, I wish the color were a little darker, as it tends to make my paler eyeshadows look whitish. I still like it, but perhaps I don't love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 12:31:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Standard in my makeup collection as it works great as a primer and base. Repurchased this many, many, many times.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2009 12:16:00 PM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked this up for the first time when I heard about it from the Makeup Geek TV on youtube. This is a highly-pigmented matte shadow., which dries pretty quickly. It's a bit darker than NW15...so if you are NW20 or a little darker it should work for you to make a neutral shadow. It's nice to also use in the inner & outer corners of the eyes to mask any bluish discoloration from veins. I just pat it on with my fingertips, very easy to use.
Also - I find it difficult to use as a base, bc it's just too hard to get the next shadow to blend over the top - so I use it by itself.
COLOR: I really wish it were more of an NW15 to brighten up my eye area.
TIP: I also use this over my lips to matte out the natural color and prepare them for liner and lipstick/or gloss. It works very well for that as a type of primer.
This was around $16 or so, and comes in a glass pot with plastic lid.