November 22, 2014 | 1918 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2004 4:53:00 PM More reviews by torontoprincess

I've recently been bombarded with references about Chanel No. 5 in virtually every setting(socially,fictional characters in novels, magazines, TV etc.) Anyhoo, I decided to indulge my curiousity at a local perfume speciality store. Long story short, I don't get the hype. This scent is sooooo strong! I know a lot of you like this perfume, but it didn't speak to me at all. Though, I'm sure it would smell lovely on a more mature woman. Personally, I'm not ready yet. I still have some growing up to do :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2004 3:33:00 PM More reviews by alissss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have owned a chanel No 5 at all times since my early twenties. I am not a "classic" girl in other domains at all. This scent does not work like that on me. I find it light, surprising, uplifting. I was very suprised when i first smelled it that "this" was "the" chanel no 5. I was expecting something much heavier, floral or something... I was not expecting the aldehydes, which really make No 5 what it is. I love it will always have it. It always makes me feel special.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2004 1:38:00 PM More reviews by Blueness

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This fragrance smells like Pledge furniture polish, minus the lemons. Classic? Um, try boring, flat and outdated.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2004 3:14:00 AM More reviews by casperdiesel93

I really love chanel NO 5 on other people, but not on me. It turns to a talcom powder smell on me and does me no justice. I was very disapointed because I would have made this my signature if it went with my body chemistry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2004 10:01:00 AM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using no. 5 for over twenty years, and it is really very beautiful. The scent is a bit dated and powdery--its not a clean scent, nor is it supposed to be. It's heady and unabashedly floral in a more old fashioned sense. It's a classic and it still brings me pleasure when I wear it--and I don't think it overwhelms the person next to me, either.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2004 10:33:00 AM More reviews by dollface6

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although this is not a new fragrance in my collection, I've been wearing it for over 30 years, I have recently decided that this is the most "perfect" fragrance in my collection. Something about #5 speaks to me as no other scent can, like a non-verbal language. I wear both the EDT and the parfum, they are different enough from each other to have both. EDIT 8/10/07: I just had the good luck to obtain a huge bottle of vintage EDT and it is so smooth and warm and so close to the scent of the parfum, I am floored. If you have a problem with Chanel #5, I suggest you scour some places to get some vintage EDT. Fantastic, I am in heaven.!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2004 6:26:00 AM More reviews by flick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Would I repurchase? Yes, yes, yes! This is a classic, sexy, feminine fragrance which smells gorgeous when you wear it. There is nothing I don't like about this scent. Its floral but not over sweet or over sharp. Its just perfect. I will always have this and Shalimar as fragrance staples.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2004 5:44:00 AM More reviews by OhIamsooopretty

I gave this fragrance 3 lippies because I usually appreciate it on some "aged" ladies and only certain skintypes.
My mother used to wear it when she was younger and or her it smelled very jasmin and flowers, but on my skin it stinks like cheap synthetic toilet deo.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/10/2004 2:53:00 AM More reviews by redwill0w

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've encountered this scent as a veil of loveliness around a few women through the years. On one woman I knew, it smelled precisely and cleanly of fresh-cut iris and rose, a gorgeous bouquet; a perfect sweet, green floral. While I love the romantic glass bottle, and keep it on my dresser because it's so pretty, I don't wear it well. On me, this starts out with a glittery city splash, pretty, fast and flashy, then quickly morphs into a scent reminiscent of a bleary night spent in a smoky bar. It's oddly and tenaciously tobacco-like, with an unrelenting, powdery old-lady aspect just underneath. I wish I could find that bouquet scent I've smelled on others wearing this, but on me, it's more like an old cigarette.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2004 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This grows on me every year. I prefer the EDT version of this scent. Parfum is too sharp and flowery whereas EDT s sparkly and musky. I haven't tried EDP though.
I love the aldehyde-muskiness and the sweet floral sparkliness. I also love the jasmine.
Appropriate for work but also feminine. Not sexy, per se, though. I wouldn't wear it on a date. More feminine than sexy. I also love the bath oil to wear as a fragrance for a light touch. The body satin spray is nice, as is the body lotion.
By the way, Coty L'Aimant is very similar to Chanel #5, much cheaper, and some may like it even better as it seems to have fewer aldehydes.