July 28, 2014 | 2063 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2004 2:19:00 PM More reviews by katlynel

I guess I am in the minority, but I have no complaints about this as a daily cleanser (though I got a store brand knockoff, so maybe it's better than the Neutrogena version?). It seems to clean without worsening my acne, though I wouldn't say it necessarily improves it either. I don't find it drying, or irritating to my mild rosacea. I don't love it, don't hate it. It cleans well and seems a bit drying -- I use it in the shower, and to remove my makeup at the end of the day. I do wish it didn't bear such an unfortunate resemblance to antibacterial hand soap, as it smells and looks just like it (and my boyfriend keeps getting mixed up and washing his hands with it!).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2004 12:33:00 PM More reviews by wingedtwilight

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the face wash my derm recommended I use in the morning. Neutrogena in the morning, Cetaphil at night. I know a lot of people hate it, but I love this face wash. I used to use the Beyond Belief foam wash you could buy at Sally's but it just ran out so quickly. This product has more lasting power, and I can buy it in double packs for ten dollars. It did dry me out just a tad at first, but when combined with the gentle Cetaphil and Retin-A at night, it got rid of my baby acne for good. Now I have smooth, clear skin. My T-zone is very oily, and this really helps me get that deep-down clean feeling.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2004 5:12:00 PM More reviews by kytten

I used it for a whole month and boy I broke out like 5 pimples aday!! I do NOT Recommend this.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2004 7:40:00 PM More reviews by tiffanyblue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised there are people on this board who hate this product as well. It works fine for my grandmother but when I wanted to test it out (b/c of those conniving commercials) my face broke out horribly. whiteheads, and cystic... it turned extremely oily on my t zone and dry on my cheeks, tight, and itchy the SECOND i dried my face off. That was the worst acne I've seen on my face.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2004 11:34:00 AM More reviews by chopiniz

If your face is not too sensitive, this facial wash does indeed cleanses your face quite thoroughly in just a small amount. It is suprisingly tough on heavy make up and even waterproof mascaras! It does not seem to control acne however. For me, it is better being a daily wash.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2004 5:06:00 AM More reviews by pinkrusty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the orange liquid that comes in a dispensing pump. To make the story short, this cleanser killed my face!!! I was using this 2 years ago because i was having some breakouts. I thought that this medicated cleanser could help my breakout cycle... i mean I cant possible get worse right?
WRONG!!! I used it consistently 2x a day (sometimes 3) for more than 6 months and i just kept breaking out more and more and more!!! I was wondering what the crap is going on .. i didnt even have that many to start with but the zits kept coming and going on my cheeks and chin. It was really a horrible phase. I finally decided that this cleanser was doing me more harm than good so i stopped. I switched to SEBAMED liquid face and body wash which has no salicylic acid and irritants. My skin gradually built up resilience and my break outs cleared up as well. I now have mostly clear skin with bumps everynow and then. No painful pustules. I realized that im not the only one who had problems with this product; I have friends who started with minor breakouts but developed major acne flares with this silly product. Its just plain evil !!! I guess I was sucked into the advertising and the dermatological claims of Neutrogena.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2004 11:43:00 AM More reviews by kristenb

Was using this and it broke me out--or at least did nothing for me. My derm said its crap...try Cetaphil as a cleanser at least it wont dry out your skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/22/2004 6:15:00 PM More reviews by cuspie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried using this in highschool. It did nothing for me. Just made my skin break out more. Everytime I see a commercial for it now, I cringe.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2004 3:33:00 AM More reviews by LittleNesha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used to use this in mid-high school, and it dried out my skin HORRIBLY. I thought acne products were supposed to make your skin flaky & make zits turn into hard scabs though, so I continued to use it. I also continued to break out. My best friend also used this, and before she started using it she had flawless skin. Now she has zits. I am convinced that this product is just Dial liquid soap in a different bottle. Totally wrong for acne-prone skin. If you have zits you need to kill the bacteria, not dissolve all oil & parch your skin like a dry lake bed.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2004 12:30:00 AM More reviews by Stewie_5

I always heard that this was the best and it was always recommended in magazines but it did nothing for me. It didn't help with breakouts at all and kind of irritated my skin.