October 23, 2014 | 1577 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Wash

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2004 4:01:00 AM More reviews by diachu21

I actually like this product, it is not harsh on my combo skin, and my derm. recommended it with my acne treatment a few months ago. I just love how it foams up and removes all the makeup ( use this with a wash cloth and you will get an exfoliating treatment). just one little con that might happen; eyes might get a little dry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2004 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Lippyloo

From reading other reviews, it looks as if the phrase "results may vary" was made for this product! However, this cleanser has truly been my HG (and I've tried alpha-hydroxys, Serious Skin Care, et al. to treat my moderate adult acne). If I were on a desert island, I'd make sure I had good bagels and Neutrogena Acne Wash. My skin has gotten clearer and stayed dramatically clearer just from using this twice daily.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2004 11:43:00 AM More reviews by horselover

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just bvought this stuff at Walmart and so far have used it twice. I was using Noxzema and it was drying out my skin and had given me a HUGE RED ZIT!! So I saw a commercial on TV and said "WHAT THE HECK?" So far my skin, wicth is usually oily around my nose and forehead, and dry on my cheeks, is not so oily anymore and im noticing it is kinda nurishing my skin where it is dry. I paid $3.54 at Walmart, and it came with a full size thing of the Neutragena Rapid Clear Acne Spot Treatment. I will totally buy again!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2004 6:35:00 PM More reviews by melzie_fire

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have a mix of oily and slightly dry skin w/ some problems with acne every now and then. No, I'm not a teenager, either! Anyway, this works pretty well IMO and lasts quite a while, too. It can be a bit drying, but followed by an oil-free moisturizer, it doesn't bother me. Costs around $5 USD or so IIRC.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2004 10:26:00 PM More reviews by smartypants21

This cleanser is a nice gel consistency and lathers well. It rinses clean, but it took a long time for me to see any results. If you're patient, try this. I could do without the bright orange dye and the strong, soapy smell, but this stuff works pretty well. I will buy again until I can find something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2004 5:50:00 PM More reviews by FlirtyinFL

This is the best acne cleanser I've ever used. I have been breaking out for the past 5 years, and I have been using this product for the past year. It has really helped to control my breakouts, which are occuring less and less frequently. This is my HG cleanser. I recommend this for everyone with acne-prone skin. It is a lifesaver.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2004 9:19:00 PM More reviews by oneofmylies99

Despite the presence of possible skin irritants such as fragrance, dyes and sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate (detergant cleansing agent not suitable for all skin types), this 2% salicyclic acid cleanser does wonders for my combo/acne-prone skin. Over the past 6 years of using this cleanser, I've strayed from it, finding myself attracted to whatever new, more advanced, drugstore cleanser that happened to come out or to the prestige of expensive department store brands. Each time I've strayed away my face paid the price for it and I've gladly gone back to this cleanser each time.

I wash my face with this each night, it removes most of my make-up, but I do have to use an oily make-up remover for my stubborn waterproof mascara. My morning routine consists of Cetaphil as a cleanser, using the oil-free acne wash 2x a day would be too drying for my skin. Although I do get a few hormonal pimples when I'm PMSing, no other cleanser has been able to keep my acne in check the way this one does.

Active ingredient: 2% salicyclic acid

Inactive ingredients: water, sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium C12-15 pareth-15 sulfonate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, matricaria (chamomilla recutita)flower extract, linoleanmidopropyl PG-dimonium chloride phosphate, disodium EDTA, propylene glycol, yellow 5, red 40, sodium chloride, fragrance.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2004 6:28:00 PM More reviews by MFAligo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

THose with sensitive skin...STAY away from this product. I started getting cystic acne on my usually normal skin after using MAC foundation so I ran out to the store to buy a good acne wash to return my skin back to normal. My skin is extremely sensitive and I thought I've always trusted Neutrogena to be safe. This time my skin ended up dry, flaky, and rashy on all areas of my face EXCEPT the areas where my acne flared up. SO then I had dry, bumpy, red patches of skin and I've never had dry skin. I wish I had checked the reviews of this product before I used it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/17/2004 10:52:00 PM More reviews by mspeel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This cleanser really isn't a bad one...It's just the smell I could not stand anymore. I used it for approx. six months and never had any bad reactions to it. Which surprises me with all that has been said about it here, because I do have very sensitive combination skin. Also acne prone. Overall It cleans well and is a bit drying but if your skin is oily to begin with isn't that a good thing? I switched to Biore's version also with My prefered BHA (Salicylic Acid) it was even more drying and it too smelled pretty bad. So still looking for my HG cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2004 12:58:00 AM More reviews by tshinn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this product back in 1995 and the memories of it have scarred me for life. I only used it for three days or so and it made my face into a dry, blistered, painful mess. My acne got worse and I was sore and red for about two weeks. After the redness and pain subsided from using this horror of a product, my skin was flaky and dry and breaking out with huge cystic ance all over my chin. Never, ever again. As a word of advice for those considering using this product, I say stay away. Run if you have to!