MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 6/8/2009 4:03:00 PM

I wanted to try a paint pot, so I just chose what I thought would be a neutral skin colour shade. But Painterly makes my skin look grey. The pink is not flattering.

If you're looking for a neutral paint pot to start, go with soft ochre. It is quite pale, but the yellow balances and brightens (see benifit lemon-aid).

Painterly is not a bad product, but I doubt it actually looks good on anyone;s skin tone.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really like Paintery because its so sticky, so it grabs pigments well, its blends wonderfully, and the packaging is quite practical. However, I have oily lids, and after making a comparison with UDPP, the UDPP made the color last longer with less creasing. I've used this on people with not so oily lids, and it works really well, and you get a ton of product so it will last you a really long time :)

on 6/7/2009 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love this paintpot. I tried TFSI and it is very drying on my aging eyelids. I find the painterly to be much easier to apply. I use my finger and it applies very easily. Shadows stick to it and it doesn't crease most of the time. Somedays it does crease a bit. I think it may have to do with humidity. I still love it though and sometimes just wear it without shadow.

on 6/7/2009 11:26:00 AM

This makes me look old. Every crease and line in my eyelid is highlighted. It's like coating a wall with lots of cracks and irregularities with matte paint. I've read many of the positive reviews here and wonder if the problem is that I'm applying it with a brush rather than dabbing it on with my fingers?

on 6/6/2009 3:20:00 PM

I was recomended by a Mac rep to try this and she was right.
I never used eyeshadow primer and boy was I wrong. I used MAC painterly pot and loved it. Kept my eyeshadow from creasing and fading. Grabbed my eyeshadow quick too.
You have to remember to blend really well and also if you blend up to eyebrows it will set your eyebrows too. Learned that myself.) It helps tame the brows and keep its shape and hold on the eyebrow color too. I apply it with a stiff eyebrow brush and it works better then just applying straight with pencil. Use a brush, it controls better.

on 6/6/2009 11:42:00 AM

love the packaging,amazing base easily removed and eyeshadow stays exactly in place even in a water fight lol!

on 6/4/2009 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I love this! Perfect eyeshadow base for my NC40 skin.

Pros:
- matte and non creasing
- eyeshadows apply true to colour over the top
- easily removed
- sturdy glass pot, less messy than the original pain tubes
- a little goes a long way

Cons:
- minor one, but this is best applied just with fingertips. It goes all chalky and weird on me when I used an eyeshadow brush

on 6/2/2009 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

OMG!!! I love this! I've used bare canvas, and bare study for so long, I thought I'd try something matte and neutral. I wish I would have tried sooner! At first, it was chalky like everyone says, but somewhere I read to store these pots upside down so the oil can mix through to the top of the pot. That helps alot. I start by putting it on my bare eyelids, bottom to top. Then, I do my eyeshadow. Then, I wipe off anything that fell under my eyes and put some Mac Fast Response Eye Cream under my eyes. Then, I use Painterly over the cream as a concealer with my finger. Also, in the crease of my nose and around my mouth and lips. Then I use Stila Moisturizing Primer SPF 15 on the rest of my face and apply Mac Studio Fix Liquid Foundation in NC20 with a Mac 187 brush, thick for full coverage. I even put some on top of the Painterly under my eyes. Then a tiny dusting of Bare Minerals feather lite mineral veil and blush. Next, I use Mac Fluidline Blacktrack and line my entire eyes, and Zoomlash Mascara in Black. Then I use an Anastasia eyebrow template and draw them on with Mac Constructivist Paint Pot with a short, stiff angled eyebrow brush. I go over it with the same brush and some Anastasia Brow Gel. My entire face is PERFECT and GLOWY and MOISTURIZED and I only reapply lipgloss all day. No oily T-zone and no extra powdering necessary.

on 6/1/2009 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this because my beautiful blue MAC eyeshadow, Freshwater, mysteriously doesn't stick to my beloved Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I decided to try this based on all of the hype. I drew up and down my arms with different eyeshadows over Painterly and TFSI and drew a few conclusions.

First off, Painterly is stickier than TFSI and it is superior at holding onto my more uncooperative shadows, such as Freshwater and some of my chalkier NARS shades. So Painterly is definitely going to be useful for those ones.

The supposed great thing about Painterly, though, is that it's supposed to be a nude shade that isn't very visible. Painterly is actually about two shades darker than I am... so it doesn't really work for me that way. If I apply Painterly to my lid, I have to be sure to cover it completely with shadow or else it looks like badly matched foundation. (TFSI disappears completely on me.) Also, Painterly is indeed a light pinkish brown color... and while darker eyeshadows appear more bright and vivid when applied over Painterly, lighter colors are given a pink/brown shift. This may not be the case for someone whose skin tone more closely matches Painterly... but it certainly was for me. So, Freshwater looked awesome, and NARS Misfit was great, but when I decided to test it with lighter shades? UD Speed looked like dirty UD Asphyxia. MAC Crystal Avalanche looked like MAC Pink Freeze. It still looked pretty, but it wasn't the color I wanted it to be.

The verdict: Painterly will be very useful for the shadows I was almost ready to give up on. For everyday wear, however, I'll stick to my Shadow Insurance.

on 5/30/2009 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I use this as an eyeshadow primer or alone on days I want a makeupless look (you know, concealer, powder, lip gloss.) I'd strongly recommend applying it with a synthetic flat brush, the kind you use for creamy concealer. It's a bit dry and so must be applied quickly, and I have a lot of eyelid, so the brush helps. I also find it works best to start with a small amount, and layer if needed for more coverage. It's highly pigmented and a little will go a long way.

I am an N4 in summer, N2 in winter, and this Painterly color is neutral on me. It does a great job of staying put ALL day, doesn't crease a bit, and makes eyeshadow last and last when used as a base layer. I tried the MAC primer, which is considerably stickier and more oily, but it made my eyelids itch like mad, then break out in little whiteheads. So, Painterly it is and will be for eyeshadow primer.

Top Rated MAC Products