MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 6/1/2009 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I bought this because my beautiful blue MAC eyeshadow, Freshwater, mysteriously doesn't stick to my beloved Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I decided to try this based on all of the hype. I drew up and down my arms with different eyeshadows over Painterly and TFSI and drew a few conclusions.

First off, Painterly is stickier than TFSI and it is superior at holding onto my more uncooperative shadows, such as Freshwater and some of my chalkier NARS shades. So Painterly is definitely going to be useful for those ones.

The supposed great thing about Painterly, though, is that it's supposed to be a nude shade that isn't very visible. Painterly is actually about two shades darker than I am... so it doesn't really work for me that way. If I apply Painterly to my lid, I have to be sure to cover it completely with shadow or else it looks like badly matched foundation. (TFSI disappears completely on me.) Also, Painterly is indeed a light pinkish brown color... and while darker eyeshadows appear more bright and vivid when applied over Painterly, lighter colors are given a pink/brown shift. This may not be the case for someone whose skin tone more closely matches Painterly... but it certainly was for me. So, Freshwater looked awesome, and NARS Misfit was great, but when I decided to test it with lighter shades? UD Speed looked like dirty UD Asphyxia. MAC Crystal Avalanche looked like MAC Pink Freeze. It still looked pretty, but it wasn't the color I wanted it to be.

The verdict: Painterly will be very useful for the shadows I was almost ready to give up on. For everyday wear, however, I'll stick to my Shadow Insurance.

on 5/30/2009 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I use this as an eyeshadow primer or alone on days I want a makeupless look (you know, concealer, powder, lip gloss.) I'd strongly recommend applying it with a synthetic flat brush, the kind you use for creamy concealer. It's a bit dry and so must be applied quickly, and I have a lot of eyelid, so the brush helps. I also find it works best to start with a small amount, and layer if needed for more coverage. It's highly pigmented and a little will go a long way.

I am an N4 in summer, N2 in winter, and this Painterly color is neutral on me. It does a great job of staying put ALL day, doesn't crease a bit, and makes eyeshadow last and last when used as a base layer. I tried the MAC primer, which is considerably stickier and more oily, but it made my eyelids itch like mad, then break out in little whiteheads. So, Painterly it is and will be for eyeshadow primer.

I'll start by saying, when I first bought this, I figured it would be SO creamy and I'd LOVE it.

I'll say it's not a cream eyeshadow, it's more of a base. So if your looking for something really creamy, this isn't the product.

Anywho, I noticed it took a while to get the cream consistency to start, which wasted a lot of product cause I had to rub my finger in it forever.

Right now, I LOVE it a lot. I would recomend a painpot with shimmer though because I've heard the matte's like Painterly and Soft Ochre aren't really that creamy as they should be.

So just buy what works for YOU! And always test the product at the store.

SUMMARY: This is an awesome base, would recomend for people WITH EYE PRIMING EXPERIENCE.

on 5/24/2009 11:02:00 PM

Well, i tried the UDPP. It worked amazingly. However, it seemed just so drying to me. Not to mention the PITA it was to get the product out of the tube. Ugh. What a waste of time. I like this Paint Pot generally. I dont know what it is but only sometimes, it seems to emphasize my verrrrrry fine lines around my eyes.

on 5/24/2009 3:26:00 PM

I love the consistency and the color of this product, it does what it says it will...good base, no crease....My gripe is the packaging, I'm not a big fan of digging my fingers into a pot. I bought a new flat shader brush by Sonia Kashuk yesterday so I think that will solve that problem, so ultimately I would purchase again!

on 5/24/2009 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I love painterly as a base for make-up, especially when I am doing a neutral eye!
I have never had a problem with it creasing *crosses fingers* and I have had it for almost a year, using it *almost* every day, and I still have plenty left! Well worth the money ($20 CDN) in my opinion!

Some advice? I find mine dries out a bit, and I have dry lids, so that is never fun times. What I do is sterile *with alcohol or what have you* a spatula and give it a good stir. it helps me with making it a bit more creamy!

on 5/15/2009 7:45:00 PM

I use this color all over my lid then use mulch on the outer corner of my eye, I LOVE it. I'm an NC40 and this is a great color to highlight my brow bone. It seems a little dry and hard to blend but I like the color.

on 5/15/2009 1:10:00 PM

I use these as replacements for my UDPP (I don't have access and I can't keep paying for shipping).
Painterly is an exact color match to my skin, so it evens out the tone on my lids. As for lasting power, its decent on my oily lids. Not quite as long lasting as UDPP but long enough to get me through work. I find Bare Study lasts longer.
Its smooth,easy to work with and blends like a dream.

on 5/14/2009 2:01:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I had been using the NYX Jumbo Pencils as a base for my shadow. It'd crease and look like a mess by the end of the night. I decided to try the Mac Paint Pots because I've heard great things about their staying power and how they handle creasing. My lids are a little oily and I haven't experienced ANY creasing. I had cried quite a bit earlier and the eyeshadow hadn't moved at all. I'm amazed and I'll absolutely be picking up more of these. I love their consistency and color. Painterly completely evens out my lid and provides a great base for all of my eyeshadows. I only wish they were cheaper. But because these work so well, I don't mind as much.

on 5/10/2009 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I purchased this recently to use as a primer. I've had trouble in the past with shadows losing their intensity over the course of a night out. They wouldn't crease, they'd just kind of slowly disappear. I've used painterly under all eyeshadow since purchase and I love it. It evens out my lid colour and my eyeshadow clings to it like nothing else. My eyes look just as good at the end of the night/day as they did at the beginning. No problem with creasing at all like some other people have mentioned. I have no issue with the packaging at present, but once it gets below the rim it may be difficult to access the product easily.