Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter (All Shades)

Polybutene , Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 , Tridecyl Trimellitate , Octyldodecanol , PETROLATUM, Hydrogenated Polydecene , Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate , Jojoba , Polyethylene , Ozokerite , Cetyl PEG , PPG-10 , 1 Dimethicone , Calcium Sodium Borosilicate , Hexyl Laurate , Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate , Beeswax, Zinc Ricinoleate , Squalane , Silica , Shea Butter , Butter Mango , Palmitoyl Oligopeptide , TOCOPHEROL ACETATE, Coconut Oily, Synthetic Wax , Ethylhexyl Palmitate , Dimethicone , Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer , Isodecyl Neopentanoate , Tribehenin , Sorbitan Isostearate , Fragrance , BHT , Caprylyl Glycol , 1,2 Hexanediol , May Contain: Mica , Titanium Dioxide (CI,77891) , Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) , Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) , Red 7 Lake (CI 15850:1) , Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985) , Red 33 Lake (CI 17200) , Carmine (CI 75470) , Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090) , Red 6 Lake (CI 15850)

on 11/18/2011 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Alright ladies, I hate to be the one to bring down the love for these lip butters, but I'm just not understanding the hype surrounding these at all. So, around the time these first came out, I bought into the Internet craze, and picked up three: Creamsicle (extremely light, almost milky nude peach with no shimmer), Peach Parfait (salmony coral pink with gold shimmer; my fave out of the 3) and Candy Apple (a nice warm-toned bright red shade).
The colors are nice, two are decently pigmented, the formula is smooth and creamy (though not quite as rich and buttery smooth as the Clinique Butter Shine Lipsticks), and the packaging with the quilted design on the exterior certainly is in good taste, and it's quite classy and looks on the more expensive side for a DS lipstick. The extensive shade range is also quite nice, and I truly think there's a color for everybody in this lineup. I picked up a light, medium, and darker shade, just to see if the level of pigmentation was different in any of them. Creamsicle (the lightest one) turned out to be poorly pigmented, and took more than a few swipes to achieve desired color. The others were decent. Nothing to write home about, though. Just decent. I don't find myself reaching for these that often. I've worn all of them at least twice, and I find I still have to apply a balm underneath, because these are somewhat drying.

In that respect, I don't see how these are reputable DUPES for the Clinique Butter Shines. Ok, I have some beef with Revlon now, because of these. Where to even start? First off, you get significantly less product with these: .05 oz less than you would with the Clinique Butters, to be exact. The Revlon is .09 oz, and the Clinique is .14 oz. And these are only less than half the price of Clinique?! Yep, they're not even HALF the price. Revlon: $7.49 USD, Clinique: $14 USD. What's going on, drugstore brands? Turning money-hungry, much? Now you're jipping us the amount of product we get, and we're paying for the packaging now? Hmm, I thought it was only high-end brands that did that. I put the price point at 4/5, because I just think it's insane for a drugstore brand to charge us $7.49 for a lip product that when first opened, it looks like half the lipstick is already used. At least, that's what I thought.
What's more, these are lip butters, not lipsticks. These don't have the coverage or opacity of a lipstick. Thus all the more reason why I don't understand the high price of these. When you think about it, it's practically at a department store price, because if these lip butters had the same amount of product in them as the Clinique Butters, they would end up being at around the same price, maybe a couple dollars less. I just can't justify buying another one of these, when I just know I'll get better quality elsewhere, and possibly cheaper. The whole point of this, is that I just don't see these as much of a bargain, and the quality is mediocre to good, at best. Also, the amount of product you get, isn't even close to being justifiable to the price you pay. And, for these lip butters having such a soft texture, you're more than likely to use these up quicker than you would with any other lip product. The sad thing is, I can't believe I'm saying all this about a drugstore product. In the long run, I think I'm better off getting Clinique! Major thumbs down on your tricky little marketing scheme, Revlon!

on 11/18/2011 2:42:00 PM

I do not own 6 of these becaise its the best product ever. I own them because I love the colors. The consistensy is nice, usually sheer and more moisturizing than their namesake lipstick, but not super moisturizing by any means. Some of the colors last longer than others. No smell or taste which is a bonus. Now, the colors..
Fig jam, a nice brownish plummy sheer beauty. I like the color better than ciniques black honey.
Pink truffle, the natural pink in my lips shines through making is a nice mlbb, but if you have pale lips, it may be too brown. Beautiful color though, so simple...
tutti frutti this one surprised me by being my favorite. Sheer bright pink with a hint of coral but less orange than it looks. Just enough color to brighten things up.
Red velvet, the longest lasting because it leaves a nice reddish magentaish stain. Pretty for a red but still too dark for me.
Strawberry shortcake, like another said, seems to sit on my lips. A tad too pale for me.
Lollipop, nice berry burst, leaves a beautiful stain.

on 11/18/2011 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I love these lip butters from Revlon. I have all the shades that are in the pinky/rosy color tone. These go on smooth and glossy and have pretty good staying power. I bought most of mine at CVS for buy one get one half off. CVS has them priced at almost $10.00 each which is really high for drugstore. I'm not sure how much they are at Target or Wal Mart.

I would buy again but only on sale. Why is drugstore makeup getting so pricey? Revlon and L'Oreal are ridiculously expensive in chains like CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens.

on 11/17/2011 9:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Finally found ONE of these left at my local Rite Aid-Peach Parfait a true coral with chunks of gold glitter that gets gritty after the balm effect wears off. Not scented, sticky, tasteful or oily; leaves a glossy shine to the lips. Won't repurchase this color but want to try others. Check out Emily Noel's review on yt for swatches:

on 11/17/2011 8:17:00 PM

Yes, these are super moisturizing and buttery smooth. Yes, these are pigmented. But there's barely any product in the tube! I went through a tube (cotton candy) in 2 weeks! I'll buy this again, but only when there's a great sale.

on 11/16/2011 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have this product in Cotton Candy. It looks Barbie pink in the tube, but once you get it on, it's a very natural pink with golden shimmer/sparkle. It looks as though it will only suit cool tones, but it looks very warm and nice on my warm, fair olive skin. It's very close to Revlon's "Petal" but more pink than peachy. It smells faintly of vanilla and tastes good. It's moisturizing and glides on smoothly. I plan to pick up the colors sugar plum and berry smoothie. I don't think I will repurchase Cotton Candy, not because I didn't like it or because the color was bad, but I already own a lot of colors similar to this. I did put that I would repurchase because I definitely plan to, just in different colors.

on 11/16/2011 9:59:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Can i start off by saying i hate the packaging? I find these tubes hard to open.The color i picked up was Pink Truffle. I'd had a look at these for probably two weeks before i decided to purchase one. Pink truffle (on my lips) is a neutral browned pink. A slight bit darker than your typical my lips but better color. These feel nice on the lips and are shiny enough to skip on gloss.
I was originally going to pick up Sugar Plum because i have an obsession with plum blushes and lips for fall but the color resembled my MAC lipstick in Plumful so i skipped out on it.
I might go back and pick one more up later on for fall but the colors of the lines scream more Spring and Summer shades. So i'll definately look back at them then.

for color reference i'm a shade lighter than nc 15 and wear mineralize skinfinish natural in Light.

on 11/16/2011 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I can't say how many times I recently walked into Rite-Aid and looked at these on display...each one of the many shades with yummy sweet names... walked around the store a little while...THEN tossed them back at the check out. Today I jumped on the band wagon and purchased "Sweet Tart" from the limited colors left now at CVS (my Rite-Aid sold out). And how many other ladies can relate to this... as soon as I got into the car I had to open that baby and test it out! But... ehhh. Oh it's a pretty enough shade of pink... mid toned and rather neutral/cool. Lip Butters...yeah whatever... honestly this is nothing more than creamy lipstick in a "catchy" presentation. Not bad but not exactly new or amazing.

on 11/15/2011 6:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Wow, the hype on this is past ridiculous, I don't understand it at all. Yeah, they are in cutsie tubes (for what they cost this tube should be not be cutsie colored plastic), yeah, they are pigmented, at least the one I have.

However, these are not really lip butters, they are more of a sheer lipstick. I'm not saying that is bad, actually, for me that is a plus. Sheer lipstick in a darker color is easier to wear. Selection in a creme is quite limited, maybe 5 in all.

Will not rebuy.

Pros:
No smell or taste
Sheer
Texture more of a lipstick

Cons:
Ridiculous high price
Childish colored plastic case
Way too many light, frosty, cool colors that I can't wear
Not a butter

on 11/15/2011 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

These are fabulous. Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters behave simultaneously like a lip balm and a lipstick. It's unlike most tinted balms I've tried; sheer coverage that's often spotty. This is a buildable coverage lipstick that feels smooth and glossy and emmollient, not sticky at all. They smell mildly sweet, like marshmallows, but it's not an overwhelming, strong scent. They don't last forever on the lips, but they feel so good that I don't mind reapplying.

I have
Creme Brulee: Neutral nude. I thought it might be too warm for me, but it really is neutral. Not too pale. Not beige.
Peach Parfait: Peachy coral. Very shiny, with gold glitter. It doesn't feel gritty to me and it's not super, super obvious but if you're sensitive to bling, beware.
Strawberry Shortcake: Neutral pink. On the brighter side, but it's pretty sheer. Creme.
Gumdrop: Lavender, but not overwhelmingly so because it is so buildable and you can start off sheer. Creme.
Cotton Candy: Cool pale pink. Shimmer.
Cupcake: Not quite as cool, still pale pink. Subtle shimmer.
Pink Truffle: More brown than pink to my eye. Very nice and versatile.

Video Reviews & Tutorials