August 30, 2014 | 1698 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2004 4:01:00 PM More reviews by katybrighteyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hey, girls ... Gramma here! I'm sitting here LMAO at the many references to "grandma" and "old." Admittedly, I'm probably much older than most of you at the site, but hey, I'm not THAT old. :o) I've been wearing Chanel No. 5 since I was in high school (many years ago... LOL). Almost every other fragrance I've tried gets "stinky" on my skin in a matter of minutes. *sigh* Personally, I find the fragrance of Chanel No. 5 beautiful and soft. I've had complete strangers compliment me when I was wearing it, comparing it to Johnson's baby powder. My ONLY complaint is that the scent doesn't seem to last... at least on my old lady skin. :o)

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2004 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Jitney2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Somewhere along the line we as a society jumbled the terms "classic" and "old." A simple black dress is classic; Chanel #5 is old. I mean really old. It smells of alcohol and reeks of a grandma (not my grandma who smelled of tomatoes - but probably someone else's more refined grandma). This fragrance also left me with a yellow spot on the location of the squirt. If you love this perfume, great. I just hate smelling like I'm trying to mask the smell of a diaper bag.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2004 11:46:00 PM More reviews by krissybug

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tryed this and loved it but for some reason it turned on me. For that reason I returned it. Then the sensual elixer came out and I thought about giving it another chance. Before I made my purchase my husband gave this to his mother for her birthday. Apparently she wore this while he was growing up. This may sound bad but I just can't wear something my mother-in-law wears. It just isn't happening! And to make matter worse, she is a very, very heavy smoker who stays in the house all day. When I smell this now, I have a terrible associate with the scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2004 6:42:00 AM More reviews by Skrink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a timeless, classic scent that (in my oppinion) anyone can wear as long as it works for them. I hated this last year.
I bought a 100ml edt because my nana wears it and it`s gorgeous on her. Some MUA gals have said that it`s a bit of an old lady scent. I really don`t agree. I am 23 and love it - now...
It didn`t seem to work for me but i tried it again recently and i love it ! I am a huge fan of the 50`s and Marilyn. A time when women were glam and i feel gorgeous when i wear it.
It lasts all day on me so i don`t think that i will ever need to bother with the EDP.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2004 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Cherrypie4403

Someone bought me this for christmas, a nice size bottle and some powder and i really haven't given it a second thought. i wore it to work once and many people complimented me but i feel like a grandmaw with it...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2004 1:59:00 PM More reviews by benny316

I was in both boats with most of the reviewers here: I wanted to love this perfume because it's the one Marilyn wore to bed and, deep down, I'm just an old-fashioned girl (screaming classy VINTAGE!). In high school, I hated the way it smelled because, yes, it is terribly mature and it put me in mind of old women wearing White Diamonds or musk, which I hate. I tried it again recently- being 21 and more determined than ever to love it or leave it- and thought it smelled like black licorice in the bottle. On, though, I absolutely fell in love. Something clicked with me- it makes me think of dusting powder, and, surprisingly, I find it a lot more subtle than I used to. I bought the EDT and I don't think it has the right staying power, but when I run out I'll buy the EDP- this scent is definitely a keeper. I even spray it on my pillows before I go to sleep! :-) I definitely do not recommend this scent to the Tommy Girl, Lucky and Cool Water crowd- there's nothing "fresh" or "light" about it, but for those of us who enjoy seductive, personal scents, this one is the heavyweight champion. It's hard not to fall in love with a perfume that instantly connects you to the most elegant women in the world...

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2004 10:59:00 AM More reviews by angelstar381

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Why don't I like Chanel #5??? Why why why? I've tried for years - I've had a bottle in my drawer for years - and I try it again now and then - no spark, no love, nothing. I simply don't understand the fame, the hype, why this is the number one selling perfume in the world. Come on, it's not bad, not offensive, but it's not *that* great either! I bought EDP thinking maybe I'd like it better (used to have EDT & oil mist and gave up on them -- gave them away). It's powdery, aldehyde-y, it's okay, kinda blah, it's just perfume - but I don't think it's outstanding perfume. One of the great mysteries, to me, is why everybody likes this stuff. But I'll hang on to my EDP for life - whether I ever wear it or not - just because it's Chanel #5.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2004 3:30:00 PM More reviews by vwgirl

I inherited a bottle of this when my Mother passed away. It was the scent she wore for 30 years. It is a VERY mature scent. I'd even venture to say it screams "granny" to me. I mean..it's not unpleasant , and of course it reminds me of my Mum...I just don't think it's a scent most women under 50 would choose. When I wore it my husband said "you smell like a retirement villa's common room". Hmmmmm NOT the effect I was aiming for! I'll stick with Deep Red by Hugo Boss, my HG frangrance.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2004 11:40:00 AM More reviews by 4youreyes

Smell this one in the store-after hearing how "classy" it was. Smells like my grandmothers perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2004 1:57:00 PM More reviews by blackcats

Another fragrance I always go back to and I can't imagine living without. I don't know what it is about it, but it seems slightly addictive. It definitely needs to be worn, and warmed up by the skin, in order to appreciate it fully. I always thought I hated it until I learned that the beautiful burst of scent I was getting off of a new friend was No 5. And the most mind-boggling thing about it is that whenever I wear it, men of all ages seem to go crazy - I mean, even teenagers. Amazing. I usually detest any fragrance with rose in it, but from the reactions it illicits, I've got to wear it.