Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/5/2004 1:40:00 PM

My aim in life as far as my pefume choices go is to smell like a Parisian. Today I tried a squirt of Chanel No.5 on the back of my hand in my local Department Store. When I first tried this about 5 months ago I HATED IT and could not see at all why people raved on about it. The story goes that Coco Chanel was tucked up in bed with the flu when she made the decision that Chanel No. 5 was "Ca va, ca va !!!" Well, I thought, makes sense!!! She must have been REALLY ill when she decided on this one!!! But today I tried it again, I left it for a while, I let it breathe, and you know what??? It's actually quite nice. Not my favourite perfume, but certainly not as bad as I originally thought. This is a very strong and heady perfume, so while it's expensive, a bottle would probably last you absolutely ages. The bottle itself is very chic and classy, and Diana Vreeland was right when she said that "everybody - husbands, beaus, taxi drivers, everybody loves it" A smell test around the office where I work came back with 100% positive feedback (including one from a Man who's Wife WORKS for Chanel !!!) The tip that I will give is the same as what one Woman in my office did say to me, which was that you definately have to be a Woman to wear this and pull it off - not a little Girl. At 24, she felt that, while it was a very nice scent, and while it smelt very nice on me, Chanel No. 5 was a bit "mature" for me, and that I should wait until I am older to wear it. And that is what I feel I am going to do - wait until I am older and then gradually change from my beloved Champs Elysees by Guerlain to Chanel No. 5 (or at least buy a bottle and save it for a night when I want to be seductive, sexy and really knock his socks off !!!) To me, it is a case of two worlds: Day and Night. While Champs Elysees is the face of young, youthful daytime Paris, full of sparkling vigour, Chanel No. 5 is the classic old school night time Paris of those old heady, black and white romantic movies, the love of which will last a lifetime...

UPDATE: 06/14/05: This perfume really has grown on me and I love it, but I got the wierdest reaction when I went to my local CHANEL counter to stock up and told the salesgirl (who was French and about my age in her 20's) that it was one of my favourite scents. "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!" Excuse me??? I thought Chanel No. 5 was a timeless, ageless classic. Has she also fallen into the trap that it should only be worn by a Granny in tweed or pink crimpoline with a powder puff face and blue eyeshadow? Shame on her...
PS: LOVING the new Nicole Kidman ads. BAZ, you've done a beautiful job my friend. The most magical advert ever. The best two minutes on television...

on 11/4/2004 4:29:00 PM

Sorry, but my body chemistry does not like this classic! When I wear it, I smell like vinegar! Give me my Coco instead!

on 10/31/2004 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

OH MY! I am in love! I finally got to purchase this fragrance, I got the perfume, not the EDP or EDT. And it is the most warm inviting fragrance that I have ever smelled. I love this stuff.

on 10/25/2004 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This smells cheap and old-ladysh to me. Would never buy it!

on 10/25/2004 3:10:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

As close to my HG as it gets (still haven't found it). On me, it's not floral, not spicy, not powdery - I'm stumped as to how to describe this. I feel like I'm surrounded by soft, golden light when I wear it. Smells just as wonderful on others.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

another old lady scent that makes me wonder why people like it so much....some of the notes really remind me of the dolce and gabbana "sicily"...this smells cheap in my opinion...yuck..Top Notes: Aldehydes, Grasse jasmine
Heart Notes: Rose, ylang-ylang, iris
Base Notes: Amber, patchouli

on 10/21/2004 10:27:00 AM

Just can't deal with this fragrance. Another review wondered if this would appeal to anyone under 50. Well, I'm over 50 and it doesn't appeal to me either. I just don't get it. Had some years ago that was a gift from a boss but was underwhelmed by how it smelled on me. Oh well.

on 10/21/2004 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Like it- don't love it. I find it to be a nice light floral, but the staying power is minimal. However, if someone gives me this, I won't kick it out of bed.

on 10/20/2004 10:15:00 PM

Peee-yoooo! I sniffed this today, and all I can say is, HOW do people love this? I'm surprised that it's been popular for so long. Sometimes I think it has to do with the fact that it is a "classic" and was worn by past celebrities, and therefore it is supposed to be "classy", but I can't see the big rave about it. I'm sorry. :( It smells very heavy, loud, and in-your-face..not in a good way either. I'm surprised that some people say men like to smell this on women. Not any man I know!

on 10/17/2004 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

A gloriously glamorous classy and elegant fragrance. I am in my 40's, but I have loved #5 since my 20's. It is timeless! It makes me feel confident, sexy and womanly and NOT old. But every fragrance smells different on each woman, so it is always a matter of taste and body chemistry. Chanel #5 is pleasing to both in my case. Give it try if you haven't already ... You may find your HG like I did.

Popular Fragrances