July 30, 2014 | 1995 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2004 6:26:00 PM More reviews by Jitney2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Somewhere along the line we as a society jumbled the terms "classic" and "old." A simple black dress is classic; Chanel #5 is old. I mean really old. It smells of alcohol and reeks of a grandma (not my grandma who smelled of tomatoes - but probably someone else's more refined grandma). This fragrance also left me with a yellow spot on the location of the squirt. If you love this perfume, great. I just hate smelling like I'm trying to mask the smell of a diaper bag.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2004 11:46:00 PM More reviews by krissybug

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tryed this and loved it but for some reason it turned on me. For that reason I returned it. Then the sensual elixer came out and I thought about giving it another chance. Before I made my purchase my husband gave this to his mother for her birthday. Apparently she wore this while he was growing up. This may sound bad but I just can't wear something my mother-in-law wears. It just isn't happening! And to make matter worse, she is a very, very heavy smoker who stays in the house all day. When I smell this now, I have a terrible associate with the scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2004 6:42:00 AM More reviews by Skrink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a timeless, classic scent that (in my oppinion) anyone can wear as long as it works for them. I hated this last year.
I bought a 100ml edt because my nana wears it and it`s gorgeous on her. Some MUA gals have said that it`s a bit of an old lady scent. I really don`t agree. I am 23 and love it - now...
It didn`t seem to work for me but i tried it again recently and i love it ! I am a huge fan of the 50`s and Marilyn. A time when women were glam and i feel gorgeous when i wear it.
It lasts all day on me so i don`t think that i will ever need to bother with the EDP.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2004 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Cherrypie4403

Someone bought me this for christmas, a nice size bottle and some powder and i really haven't given it a second thought. i wore it to work once and many people complimented me but i feel like a grandmaw with it...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2004 1:59:00 PM More reviews by benny316

I was in both boats with most of the reviewers here: I wanted to love this perfume because it's the one Marilyn wore to bed and, deep down, I'm just an old-fashioned girl (screaming classy VINTAGE!). In high school, I hated the way it smelled because, yes, it is terribly mature and it put me in mind of old women wearing White Diamonds or musk, which I hate. I tried it again recently- being 21 and more determined than ever to love it or leave it- and thought it smelled like black licorice in the bottle. On, though, I absolutely fell in love. Something clicked with me- it makes me think of dusting powder, and, surprisingly, I find it a lot more subtle than I used to. I bought the EDT and I don't think it has the right staying power, but when I run out I'll buy the EDP- this scent is definitely a keeper. I even spray it on my pillows before I go to sleep! :-) I definitely do not recommend this scent to the Tommy Girl, Lucky and Cool Water crowd- there's nothing "fresh" or "light" about it, but for those of us who enjoy seductive, personal scents, this one is the heavyweight champion. It's hard not to fall in love with a perfume that instantly connects you to the most elegant women in the world...

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2004 10:59:00 AM More reviews by angelstar381

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Why don't I like Chanel #5??? Why why why? I've tried for years - I've had a bottle in my drawer for years - and I try it again now and then - no spark, no love, nothing. I simply don't understand the fame, the hype, why this is the number one selling perfume in the world. Come on, it's not bad, not offensive, but it's not *that* great either! I bought EDP thinking maybe I'd like it better (used to have EDT & oil mist and gave up on them -- gave them away). It's powdery, aldehyde-y, it's okay, kinda blah, it's just perfume - but I don't think it's outstanding perfume. One of the great mysteries, to me, is why everybody likes this stuff. But I'll hang on to my EDP for life - whether I ever wear it or not - just because it's Chanel #5.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2004 3:30:00 PM More reviews by vwgirl

I inherited a bottle of this when my Mother passed away. It was the scent she wore for 30 years. It is a VERY mature scent. I'd even venture to say it screams "granny" to me. I mean..it's not unpleasant , and of course it reminds me of my Mum...I just don't think it's a scent most women under 50 would choose. When I wore it my husband said "you smell like a retirement villa's common room". Hmmmmm NOT the effect I was aiming for! I'll stick with Deep Red by Hugo Boss, my HG frangrance.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2004 11:40:00 AM More reviews by 4youreyes

Smell this one in the store-after hearing how "classy" it was. Smells like my grandmothers perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2004 1:57:00 PM More reviews by blackcats

Another fragrance I always go back to and I can't imagine living without. I don't know what it is about it, but it seems slightly addictive. It definitely needs to be worn, and warmed up by the skin, in order to appreciate it fully. I always thought I hated it until I learned that the beautiful burst of scent I was getting off of a new friend was No 5. And the most mind-boggling thing about it is that whenever I wear it, men of all ages seem to go crazy - I mean, even teenagers. Amazing. I usually detest any fragrance with rose in it, but from the reactions it illicits, I've got to wear it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2004 12:59:00 AM More reviews by bibliophile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried this perfume several times, but just never liked it. It is just too, too, much of whatever it is! I guess I would say it smells sharp, but overwhelmingly powdery. This fragrance is utterly lacking in sex appeal and sophistication, on me at least. I think that Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis liked this, so that gives it a certain cachet, I suppose. It may have worked for her, but it does nothing for others I have smelled it on.