Revlon ColorStay Whipped Crème Makeup

3.9

Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Water, Isododecane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silk Powder, Alumina, Polyisobutene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Cyclodextrin, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica, Methicone, Sodium Chloride, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica Silylate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol --- MAY CONTAIN (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxide, CI 77947/Zinc Oxide)

on 10/15/2012 8:23:00 PM

I want to love this foundation so much.
I have combo skin and flutter around an NC20 but with more neutral undertones.

This foundations applies beautifully with a damp beauty blender or a 187 type duo fiber brush. I find the staying power to be decent although I do think it takes a while to set completely. The finish is satin, which is what I prefer

Here is where the problem lies: None of the colors work for me. Usually in the original Colorstay I wear buff and warm it up with a bronzer. I have tried this version in both sand beige and nude. Nude is way too pink. Sand Beige would be perfect but it reads so gray and ashy on me. For someone who has a very yellow chest I simply can't get away with wearing a grey foundation. I have tried different powders and bronzers and nothing makes the color right.

Unfortunately I had to answer that I won't buy again. Maybe I'll update this review if I find a better shade

on 10/15/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

I wanted to love this as much as I love the original colorstay, but it wasn't meant to be. I won't say it's bad, but I just don't like it. I wore it for a week but once the novelty of the "whipped creme" wore off, I realized this wasn't the foundation for me.

PROS: It smells better than the original colorstay, the odd texture feels soft on the skin, it is a bit easier to work with, and has typical colorstay coverage; medium to full. That's about it for the good.

CONS: The color selection is simply ridiculous. I tried Rich Ginger, since the rest were either too light or too dark, and it left my skin looking flat and lifeless. I don't understand why that shade is so dull. Also, for some reason I had a hard time making my blush and bronzer stick on top of it. Oh and the packaging! It's ridiculous. But that's pretty self explanatory by looking at the product photos. But worst of all, IT TRANSFERS! I know. Shocking considering it is a colorstay product. That's my favorite part about the original formula; once it's on, it's on for the rest of the day. Even with a setting powder and liquid, this product is not rub-proof.

OVERALL: Not terrible, but not worth it either. This product made me realize why I love the original so much. I won't be tempted to stray again.

on 10/15/2012 11:14:00 AM

When this foundation first came out I had no interest in it at all because the original Colorstay looked horrible on me and broke me out really bad; it took my skin a long time to recover from it. The foundation I was using was working okay and wasn’t breaking me out, so I was in no rush to switch. But then curiosity and rave YouTube reviews swayed me and I decided I’d try it for a week and if I got just one breakout it was being returned (if something is going to break me out I’ll know within days). Well, it’s been two weeks and I haven’t had any breakouts! As for the foundation itself, it applies like a dream, feels almost like a primer or moisturizer being applied to the face. I apply it with my Real Techniques buffing brush and it blends with no effort. The coverage is great; I’d say medium to full depending on how many layers you want to put on. I only do one layer but it covers all of the redness on my face and the few dark spots that are leftover from breakouts. Besides my under eye concealer, I don’t use any concealer when I wear this foundation, which is amazing! I even stopped using a primer with this foundation as well, I just don’t need it. The absolute best thing about this foundation is the lasting power; I put it on at 5:30AM, set it with Rimmel Stay Matte powder and it still looks freshly applied when I get home at 4PM. As for the packaging, I know a lot of people hate it but I actually really like it; it feels and looks very high end. I also like that you can use up every single drop of this foundation because of it being in a tub; when foundations come in a bottle a lot goes to waste because you can’t get to it. To me it’s hygienic because it’s not like I’m sharing the container with anyone and I don’t dip my fingers into it. I dip my clean brush into the tub and get enough on the brush for my whole face. I would dip it back in if I needed more because to me there is no harm in that as long as I don’t have any active breakouts which could spread bacteria. Also, people have been complaining/mentioning that you get .2 ounces less with this foundation compared to other liquid foundations; well, to be honest I think it all works out in the long run. You need to use a lot less of this foundation compared to liquid foundations and as I mentioned earlier, you can really use up every drop of this foundation because of it being in a tub. I bet the foundation you can’t get out to use that’s stuck to the walls of bottled liquid foundation equals the .2 ounce difference or maybe even more.

on 10/15/2012 11:10:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Hey All,

I am ecstatic with this foundation. I usually buy high-end brand foundations @ Sephora which my number one at this moment is UD Naked Skin Foundation which I wear shade 4.0 (anything .0 is yellow undertone and any shades that are .5 are pink to beige undertone) I am usually a light-medium skin tone (w/ yellow undertones) but with the summer that passed I still have my golden tan so I wear this shade from UD. So let me get with it with this foundation from Revlon. The texture is seems thick but not too thick when applied on your face its more air whipped feeling on your skin when blended in. It does blend well which I use my stippling brush from Sigma F35 I believe it its. I wear my Revlon in the shade Warm Golden. And apply over with my Mac Studio Fix powder foundation in C3 and little bronzer on top with my Tarte Smooth Operator for hint of warmth.

The only downfall I given a four star is the packaging makes it hard to see the shade that suits you well to choose the right shade in the first place. So if you wear the original Colorstay Foundation it may not be the same shade range as the whipped foundation. So I suggest to go a shade darker because the shades tend to be a tad too light. I accidently thought I was a natural beige and it came out to be too pinkish for me. Maybe when my tan goes away I will wear the Natural Beige shade. Now for it to stay on for 24 hours I don't believe it true but I did wore it for 12 hrs and last a loooong time and I have combo skin which i get oily on the T-zone area and i didn't have to blot not once!! I recommend this to anyone with all skin types.

on 10/14/2012 9:52:00 PM

I actually liked this product. It is not greasy and covers nicely, I read some reviews and I decide to give it a try. I would recommend this product.

on 10/12/2012 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

I'm about an nc25-nc30 with dry skin and yellow undertones.

I originally purchased this in Buff after doing lots of research on what color I should get. Buff was recommended by a lot of people for pale yellow-toned people such as myself. I applied a small amount along my jaw area and it appeared to blend into my skin perfectly. Later after removing all my usual makeup, I applied this onto my entire face to test out the product along with the color match. This product applied wonderfully with my fingers and blended really nice. My makeup looked almost perfect...BESIDES THE FACT that the color of my face didn't match the rest of my body. Buff gave my face a washed out, slightly grey, and pale face. After using a super yellow-based powder sample I received from everydayminerals ontop of the colorstay whipped in BUFF, I looked more like myself. Sadly, some of the washed out tones were still peeking through. I began seriously contemplating about mixing yellow food dye into the foundation.

So since I had a darker shade in the original colorstay liquid that matched me in the summertime, I decided to mix the two together. BIG MISTAKE, it turned even more grey and destroyed the beautiful finish the whipped makeup had on the skin. It left me with a horrendous unnatural finish even though the products look great on their own! I looked at my face in natural lighting and saw pores around my mouth and lips that I don't have without any makeup on.

So since I loved the look this foundation had on the skin, I stopped experimenting and decided to try out another shade. I've had this shade problem with the original colorstay liquid, I can't seem to find a shade that matches me. Every supposed "yellow-toned" shade in the colorstay range appears so neutral on my skin that its actually grey. I don't remember coming across any grey-skined individuals in the world.

After watching plenty of videos and reading lots of reviews, I realized a lot of people use the shade warm golden. Many people say it has absolutely no yellow-tones, while others say its the perfect match for warm yellow-toned skin. I decided to see for myself.

I purchased the warm golden, at first glance it does appear rather pinkish toned. On my face it looked a lot better. Although it was a tiny bit pinker then my actual skin me and slightly darker then my skin, its probably the closet match revlon colorstay whipped has to offer. I'm just ecstatic about the fact that I can layer on tons of this shade without my face turning into a grey mess!! With warm golden, my face looks slightly sunkissed, and ALIVE, unlike with the shade buff which completely washed me out. Buff might have matched me if i completely stopped going outdoors and stopped using self-tanner, which I'm not prepared to do. I'm pretty content with the shade warm golden for now but i might try out sand beige next?

pros-
-blends beautifully, leaving a short of airbrushed appearance
-can be layered unlike the original liquid
-also gives medium-full coverage when layered
-can be applied sheer for a more natural look
-longevity, last throughout the entire day
-natural appearance on skin
-doesn't dry fast, time to blend it into the skin
-not as thick and cakey as the original liquid
-although i need tons of lotion underneath, it's more moisturizing on my dry skin than the original formula

cons-
-shade range is horrendous for me personally
-the packaging is very messy, I'm hardly home so I carry my makeup in my purse. This makeup gets on the lid although i still have my inside plastic cap-thing on
also...I would like to note that I feel as if Buff dries slightly darker than when first appled, and Warm Golden seems to dry to a lighter shade than when first applies,

i was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences?

on 10/12/2012 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i'm a bit ambivalent about this product but i lean towards liking it more than anything else. i absolutely love the texture and how beautifully this foundation blends - that is definitely not a problem. i've tried applying it a few different ways and actually, this foundation has made me quite a finger-applier-person. although it works just fine with a brush, it is particularly lovely when patted in with your fingers. since i've purchased this, i've started applying all my bb creams and foundations this way and i'm kind of loving it. with the whipped, since i'm not one for massive coverage, i feel like fingers gives the most natural look with perhaps a sheerer coverage than with a brush. the packaging of this is a whole different thing - the jar looks nice for the first five minutes but when it comes to start doing your make up it is a giant pain in the butt. it's heavy, it's hard to get out in any pseudo-hygienic way and gets messy even with the white stopper. i would have much preferred to get this in a tube like they had for testers in the store.

so, i like wearing this somewhere between light-medium coverage and just after application it looks beautiful and i only need a bit of concealer for my scars etc. but i've learned with this foundation that no matter how much of a routine you're in with finishing powders, this one pretty much does not need it if you have anywhere near normal to dry skin. i made the mistake the first few weeks of wearing this and continuing to use powder but this stuff sets fairly matte and by the end of the day, my skin would look parched and dehydrated (especially around my nose, eyebrows etc). it is possible to wear this if you've got drier skin but make sure you've got a great moisturiser (with spf - this hasn't got any), exfoliate on the regular and skip the powder. when you do that, the skin looks much more natural but i find that i do still need to be careful that my skin doesn't look dry.

the staying power of this is pretty great - i get a full day/as much as i need out of it (10-12 hours). however for some reason i just cannot get my blusher/bronzer to stay put on top of this foundation - i think it's just me, since i haven't read anyone else having similar problems, but i find that i get a lot of colour fading on my cheeks by the end of the day. but i guess it could be worse. also, i would strongly advise not to use this really up under your eyes - i think it's a bit too heavy/thick for that and can look pretty cakey so take it just to the bottom of your eye socket and go in with a concealer for dark under eye circles.

my favourite way to use this foundation is to use it in the centre of my face where i need the most coverage and to pat a tinted moisturiser more on the perimeter and blend the two together. it gives a more natural finish than just throwing on a bunch of concealer. i don't often wear this on its own, but when i do i get a lot of compliments and i think it's a good foundation to look into for special occasions or to mix with other foundations for added longevity.

on 10/11/2012 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

After all this time searching, finally.......this is the only, and I mean the only foundation (including creams, liquids AND powders) that keeps me matte and perfect-ish towards the 7-8 hour mark. Dries to a powder/matte finish. Feels like silk to touch. I would say medium coverage. I found I did still need a concealer, keep in mind though that I can get serious pimples and blemishes. With most foundations no matter how much they profess their staying power I am an oil slick at 4-5 hours. I find if you apply powder generously and pat rather than brush the powder or setting product on - perfect! You don't need to be a make up star to apply this either, it does most of the work either. My advice is that you definitely don't need as much as you think. I have blackheads all over my nose and they are invisible instantly on application. I generally sweep the product on with warm fingers but am in the process of purchasing the MAC 130 to see how a buffing technique goes down. But from all I've heard nothing but good things ahead!This has performed outstandingly for a drugstore product.

on 10/11/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I never thought I would say this but here I go: HG status. I am so happy that Revlon released this foundation because it is absolutely amazing! I was previously using the liquid version but I'm pretty sure it was giving me clogged pores. Anyway, on to the review:

Packaging: It comes in a pretty hefty glass jar which people will either love or hate. I love it. I think it looks really nice on my vanity and I like the substantial feel of it when I pick it up. However, It does make selecting the proper shade a tad difficult if you're just going by sight. To get some product out, I use my middle finger and very lightly touch the top of the foundation then dab it on my face. In terms of hygiene, I don't find it problematic. I'm the only one who uses my makeup and I always clean my hands before doing my makeup.

Application: As I said, I GENTLY tap my finger on top of the foundation and the product that transfers is enough to do one section out a time. I section my face into 4 parts; nose and chin area, each cheek, and my forehead. I pat the foundation over each section to spread and then use my real techniques buffing brush to buff it in. This foundation blends Beautifully! It's so silky and smooth and just glides effortlessly over the skin. It glides right over my pores without sinking into them, giving you that airbrushed look. You could do your whole face at once without fear of it drying like the liquid version, I just prefer to work in sections. Once I apply it, I like to let it set while I do my eye make up and then come back and powder if need be.

Coverage: I find this to be light to very buildable medium coverage. It could just be because I use such a tiny amount but I find when I first apply it, it evens my skin tone and gets rid of any redness but it won't cover any marks. I then go back and apply a second layer to any areas of my face that need it. If I have a fading dark mark from a pimple, it will make it way less noticeable but not completely gone. If I have an active red pimple, it moderately helps but concealer is still needed. My skin is pretty good so I don't need much coverage besides the occasional pimple so I like the coverage that this offers. The finish is between semi-matte and natural.

Lasting Power: This lasts incredibly well on my very oily skin. If I use a moisturizer with SPF in it, I find I start to get slightly shiny after 3-4 hours. If my moisturizer doesn't have SPF, I can go anywhere from 6-8 hours before needing to blot. My work can sometimes require 12 hours or more and I usually blot 2-3 times when I wear this mostly towards the end of the night. In comparison, MAC's SFF causes me to blot within an hour and a total of 6-7 times a day. I don't notice any fading or creasing by the end of the day when I wear this and if I use a makeup wipe to remove my makeup, the wipe clearly has makeup on it. Depending on what moisturizer I'm using I'll set it with powder.

Shade Selection: This is the only thing that I find worrisome about the product. I'm fairly light with yellow and beige undertones. When I take pictures with my friends or family, I'm almost always the lightest one in the picture. I'm nowhere near porcelain or ivory but I'm still pretty light. Now when I tried this foundation I happened to be the tannest I had ever been which means I was 1-2 shads darker than my normal color. I'm an avid sunblock wearer lol. My normal shade of nude in the liquid version was was a tad too light for me at the time so I decided to get the shade Medium Beige in this version. Now when I tried it on, my face looked extremely pale and gray and was super light in pictures. The next shade up was warm golden but in the liquid version, that color is way to dark for me. However, I couldn't stand walking around with a gray face so I caved and exchanged it. When I opened, I thought there was no way it would match me but I tried it out since I already bought it. Surprisingly, it matched perfect. It has noticeable yellow undertones that Medium Beige lacked. Again, it could be because I use very little of the product but I find that because this offers me light coverage and is so blendable, that once I buff in the very noticeable darker foundation it actually melts into the perfect color.

I've been wearing this foundation for about 2 months now and I haven't experienced any breakouts or clogged pores. I would highly recommend this foundation to girls with oily or combo skin. It's simply amazing.

on 10/11/2012 2:04:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This had very little coverage. The product is very greasy and didn't blend well. It sunk into my pores but slid off the rest of my face.

I have combination skin, with lots of redness, blemishes, large pores and oiliness (all in the T-zone). I bought it because I love the regular colorstay foundation (better than any of my $50 Laura Mercier, Jan Marini, and Estee Lauder, and many more expensive foundations). I need full coverage that lasts and keeps the shine in check, which the original does. The whipped version does none of that and only accentuates my problems.

However, I do like the glass jar it comes in. That is pretty much the only positive for me, so I won't repurchase.