October 2, 2014 | 1884 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2010 5:19:00 PM More reviews by crb234

While I definitely noticed a difference in how this was cleaning my skin, I found it a bit too harsh for my skin type (dry and moderately sensitive). I was using the sensitive brush head but it still felt a little harsh. I ended up selling this because I didn't think I would use it that much.

While their was a difference, I didn't find it that significant. Definitely not significant enough to justify the price.

I probably would have kept this if it wasn't so expensive. In my opinion, it is just too much money for what it is. If you can afford it and you have more oily skin that isn't sensitive, I might recommend it. But I just didn't think it was worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2010 3:01:00 PM More reviews by MakeupFOREVER24

I love my Mia. I've had it for about a month, so i figured thats time enough to give a honest review. I suffer from cystic hormonal acne, so i get it mostly around my jaw line and chin...sometimes on the lower part of my cheeks. The mia did not clear up my acne yet (it takes TIME people!!!!) , but it has imporved it a lot better than anything else i've tried....and i've tried just about everything. I highly reccomend this product. If you have the 150$, get it! Go to skinterra.com...they usually have coupons where you can save like 30$! It's worth it! I'd say if you don't have acne prone skin, its not really worth the money, because a good exfoillent will do the same thing for that skin type. Also, purchase the right brush head for your skin!!! Don't try to get a harsher one because you think it "cleans" better. It doesn't. It just rips your skin apart...and who wants that!???! My only con is the price.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Studiouslaura

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Not that this needs another rave review, but I can't seem to help myself. :-)

The reason I bought it was that (a) I had been coveting it madly since I read about it on here, and (b) I recently managed to really, really mess up my face with the use of waaaay too many new products in too short a time span. I broke out like a 14 year old girl locked in at Willy Wonka's and boy was it ugly.

I am 43, btw., and I have always had a bit of hormonal breakouts, but never anything terrible (aside from my teens, when I looked like a precursor to the Gulf oil spill). In the winter I always get all flaky, to the point where my makeup resembles little puzzle pieces on my face. Bad look, for sure, especially when paired with massive breakout. So I stopped using ANYTHING on my face, other than a mild moisturizer. I gave it a couple of days, and I could see that it was going to go all flaky, flaky to the point that it would look like I had very, very dry leprosy.

So in a wild attempt to (1) cheer myself up and distract myself from the horror that was my skin and (2) possibly stave off the "dehydrated lizard" look that I was sure to get, I ran out to Ulta and bought the mia. I also got a small container of the philosophy "hope in a jar," or whatever that stuff is called. I got the mia that has it's own cradle charger, mostly b/c they had it as a special for Breast Cancer Awareness, and some of the massive amount of money I was spending would go to a good cause, so I could feel less badly about spending such a large amount of cash on myself.

OMG. It is amazing. I totally completely absolutely have avoided the flaky stage of this breakout. Not only that, but a couple of days of using the mia in the morning and at night, and I have had none of the typical dry flaky stuff that I normally get either. My makeup goes on better, and looks much smoother and prettier than ever before. My skin hasn't looked this nice, ever, not even when I was young, b/c I simply had no idea then how to take care of it, and thus was a walking zit for most of my teens.

Now, it's totally possible that it's a bit of both, Mia and HIJ. But I'll just say that they can have my Mia when they pry it from my cold, dead hand. :-)

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go wash my face. :-)

41 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2010 1:30:00 PM More reviews by allyson399

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Go buy this. Don't walk to Sephora, run. Honestly I debated buying this for a year. I don't have bad skin, but there was definitely room for improvement. I mainly bought this to help with huge pores on and around my nose and chin as well as some flakiness. I've only had it a few days but I have already noticed a difference. I know you can't actually shrink the size of your pores, but they look so much clearer now. For me, that is worth the money right there. When you think about it, it's super easy to spend over $100 at Sephora or a department store on one or two skincare products, so this isn't that bad. I think that some people might have problems with this as far as a reaction, or having it cause a flare up with their acne, but I think that far more people really benefit from it. With Sephora's return policy you really have nothing to lose. I'll update in several weeks when I've used this for longer, but I can't really see my opinion changing.
EDIT: it's been another month and I love this just as much as I did in the beginning. I was using it morning and night but now I'm just using it at night. I take off all of my makeup with a makeup wipe and then use this with my Darphin Intral cleanser. I haven't really had a single blemish since I started using this and my pores are clearer. Also just a side note that I have pretty sensitive skin and I use the sensitive brush and that works perfectly. I also bought a normal brush to use on my boyfriend to give him a "back facial" since he has some acne on his back from sports clothes etc. Just using it once or twice a week on his back with the normal brush has totally cleared up his back without using any other products!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by DixieBrooks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Within days my skin was a dry, red, itchy mess, with breakouts all over my cheeks that took weeks to heal. I sent this straight back and got a refund.

Very disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2010 7:48:00 PM More reviews by coffeeandcigarettes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

i love this. i had been thinking about trying this out for awhile. i purchased it off of the shopping channel, they had a special on. i feel that it works. it's a bit pricey which i think was why i put off buying it. it sucks that you have to keep buying new brush heads, there kinda pricey too. i really like the cleanser that came with it though (the blue one, for oily skin). overall i'm pleased and would recommend it to others.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2010 1:55:00 PM More reviews by ginger85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Years ago, when the Clarisonic first came out, I just could not imagine myself spending so much on a tool. After I finished birth control, my skin became oily with huge pores that are constantly (and I mean constantly) clogged with hardened sebum. I saw the reviews online and thought maybe I should try it out. It is day TWO people and I already notice a vast improvement in the texture and softness in my skin. After using this last night and this morning, when I applied my cream today I already saw a drastic improvement in the stubborn bumps beneath the surface. I don't even care about any of the other features, that is enough for me because nothing else: masks, exfoliators, cleansers have managed to clean out that gunk beneath the surface. I am soooo happy! My recommendations with this brush (if you are oily) are the Bioderma Sebium Cleanser and a Glycolic based cleanser for the morning like Jan Marini Bioglycolic. I highly recommend. And by the way, the Mia is better than the regular Clarisonic because you can use it in the shower and you can charge it at home and take it by itself to your boyfriend's or friend's or on a trip. I like it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2010 9:54:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Bought for my teens' acne skin. It was recommended by many here who have acne. I thought that made no sense, but we were open for anything. Well, to not open the acne up and not spread it, we got the "Delicate," which is the softest one. Works great for them. They do only use it once a day and never pushes hard, just to be gentle to the inflamed skin. It seems to make the breakouts much less (I say "seems" cause we have been doing other stuff as well, like Neutrogena's Rapid Clear line or Alba Botanica's Natural Acnedote line). You can send me a message if you want to know more.) It also got rid of a lot of the flakes they were getting from drying the acne up and seems to be helping by cleaning "deeper" because the vibration does work.

Then....I decided to give it a try for myself with the "Sensitive" head that came with it. That works well anyway cause I have sensitive, almost rosacea like skin. My blackheads are gone. My pores are less clogged. I have no more dry flakes and only rarely need to exfoliate. (I know it's not a true exfoliator, but it does do that somewhat for me, especially depending on which brush head I use and how many little circles I want to make with it when moving it around.)

This is not just a brush that goes around in circles; in fact, it doesn't go in circles. It vibrates to stimulate deeper into the skin. You control how many times you move your hand around in a circle. I still haven't replaced my brush head from over a year ago, so I'm not sure why some are listing this as a big deal.

You can take it in the shower. It's watersafe. The charge lasts forever.

CONS: I didn't see results for myself for at least a few months. And well, the cost is high, but so worth it for them. High school is hard enough. ;-) I do wish the brush heads weren't so hard to take off and switch, for those of us that share it. Do not expect this to truly exfoliate much. It cleans deeply more by the vibration deep into the skin, rather than really exfoliating. See bottom of this review regarding it getting stuck in the base (kind of.) It's not an actual problem though. Just a minor, occasional annoyance.

*****EDIT: my early rosacea is now getting to upset from this. I've switched to the Olay cleansing brush for a more sensitive version, even more gentle than Clarisonic's "delicate" brush.

USAGE TIPS: I wash the brush with anti-bacterial soap right before I use it, just in case. I have not had to replace the brush head yet (been over a year). When I want it to be more of an exfoliator, I can vary the brush head I use and the amount of circles I want to make with it when using. I have found that changing/removing the brush head is much easier when the brush is still wet. I have no idea why this is, but I am now sure of it. It seems like it would be the opposite.

[[[ I don't know why there are reviews talking about that it's hard to put in the base. The only thing I can think of is they are sticking this in backward??? I have noticed, though, that sometimes this gets a little stuck in the base, and you have to hold on to the base while you pull it out. :-( ]]]

ALTERNATES: The Olay cleansing brush is a cheaper alternative that is not quite to this standard of quality. The Olay brush will not penetrate as deeply or have as high a level of vibration. But it's actually better for my very sensitive skin (even compared to the "delicate" clarisonic brush.) Still great for my teens, though.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2010 9:13:00 PM More reviews by merrysunny77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not really adding anything new - but this is GREAT. I don't wear foundation daily - so wasn't sure I really needed this to extra clean my skin. But figured I could return in case in I didn't like. I went ahead and got..keep in mind only been using for about 4 days now, 2x a day. I have normal skin with oilyish nose and chin...30+ year old skin that is not prone to being sensitive or red and have mostly uniform deep olive pigment...

I am kind of blown away by how clean my skin feels. I use with a nondrying cleanser (paula's choice or some other d/s brand w/out salicylic acid or other drying stuff) and my skin feels great. AM moisturizer feels like it soaks in more, night AHA treatments seem to penetrate better as well..I use tazorac .05% on my chin and there has been no issues there either...when I do wear foundation to go out I use less and it looks like a 2nd skin. I also use less of my other skin care stuff as well....I still use other "gritty" exfoliating cleansers when I feel like it - just not with the product (=sand papering your face) as long as I don't go overboard...I am curious to see if this makes the tazorac work better (right now it's been doing nothing good or bad for my under the skin weird mini chin bumps that neither me nor my derm are sure are acne/clogged pores) but too early to tell

I honestly think part of it is that cause its fun to use and relaxing - you just spend more time cleaning your face and it forces you to do it more thoroughly....but either way it works!

I use the sensitive head- but ordered the normal just to compare. Great small charger and the fact that it is waterproof are both nice extras...
with winter on its way on the East Coast ..glad I purchased! Thinking of getting one for my mom...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by rurubell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

LOVE LOVE!! Noticed improved skin texture after first use. Skin felt smoother and felt sooo much cleaner. I used to get minor breakouts all the time (i.e. I always had like 1 or 2 pimples somewhere). Occasionally, they still come up but their occurrence has been reduced soo much. It also is good for taking makeup off completely. Before, even with makeup remover follower by cleanser, I could still see some makeup residue. Clarisonic cleans it right up. The Mia is also a nice small size, relatively easy to pack for travel. Sometimes if I'm only away for a long weekend, I won't pack the charger and just make sure I charge it beforehand and it'll last my entire trip.