Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

On me this is amber and sandalwood with a small amount of rich white floral notes thrown into the mix. While it's not my personal favourite oriental, I wear it regularly because my dh absolutely loves it on me and it's one of those perfumes I regularly get compliments on from total strangers. It all comes down to your personal chemistry. I can get away with wearing this to the office in cool weather, and I work in an open office with 3 other people, and it's not too strong or overpowering. Whenever I wear a new perfume to the office, I ask the other people I work with if they are happy with me wearing it, or if it is annoying them. Everyone in the office says this smells warm and spicy on me and not too strong at all. ON the other hand light florals are lost on me. Yes you should apply it with a light hand, and I must admit I would prefer to have this in a bottle without a spray so I could apply it much more precisely, but what are you gonna do? Don't be bound by the rules of sexy oriental frags should be worn only at night on a hot date. Ask those people closest to you if they think the perfume is suitable for office wear and day wear. If they think its not too OTT, go for it. I regularly wear other orientals to work (Tabu, Ciara, Bal a Versailles), with the blessings of the other staff.

Oh boy, I keep forgetting what great stuff this is. This one has a wonderful not-too-sweet dry-down that puts the newer cookie-cutter fragrances to shame.

The trick with Obsession is to use the tiniest amount possible! I learned this the hard way years ago when I used to spray on enough to kill bugs.

Now I spray a bit onto a little saucer and then dip my finger in the couple of drops there and dot it on the torso area before getting dressed. That way, later on there is this soft, woodsy, incense-y aroma wafting up, helped along by body heat and buffered by clothes. So by the time it hits any nostrils it is rather "quiet" but still noticeable, in a good way. A really good way.

The shower gel is terrific too!

I received my first bottle of Obsession--the 3.4 oz EDP spray for Christmas last year.
It took me nearly 6 months to get up the nerve to actually wear it. See, it smells a lot like the knockoff versions when you smell it straight out of the bottle, and I think that's what has always scared me off. But wait—there's something extra that starts to unfold about 5 minutes into it.
The hotness and sharpness of the first spritz begins to round itself out into a smoldering melange of incense and spices, with some kind of green, herbal overtones. Then it morphs into a sexy gossamer version of its previous self, fading into a sweet chocolaty gourmand scent.
Don't get me wrong, it is a very strong scent, not for fruity, floral, or cupcakey chicks. I can imagine Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan smelling like this.
Does it smell like the 80s? Absolutely. But I imagine it smells like the all best parts of the 80s...

This is my favorite perfume. Spicy, not too sweet, lasts all day, not cloying or too strong. Love it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I got this as a gift in the form of a knock-off oil. I used up almost the whole bottle. i give the rest to one of my girlfriends who also likes it. Very sexy, but I won't be buying it for a while. I like lighter scents.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Very strong, balsamic, insense like. Pleasant, unique, but very hard to wear in my opinion, because almost any application would be an overdose.

Sorry but I hate this. For many reasons, probably all listed here.

I have to say that I love sweet scents, I love fruity scents, hell, I love most types of scents.

But this, this is WAYYYYYYYYYYY too sweet, WAAAYYYYYY too heavy and WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too strong. Headache in a bottle.

It's so bad, that I wouldn't even use it as air freshener if I got it free. And the bottle is fugly.

Okay, before buying the real juice, I always try to get the copy cat one first, that way, if I like it, I'll run out to get the real thing! I mean, why spend our hard earned cash on something you don't really love? Doesn't make any sense to me! So, this review is based on the generic version of Calvin Klein's Obsession. This isn't the worst out there, and believe me, in the 80's, there were TONS of barfers out there! Giorgio, that would be you! Anyway, this one is nice, but it is thick and heavy. Very sweet and lasting(good or bad depending on liking it or not!). I can't see this working at all for summer. I mean, I LOVE soft scents and I can bathe in some of them, but this one you can't take a plunge in! NO WAY! There is no softness here! I used this very lightly and my house was engulfed with this potent juice for a day! I even woke up with it still on! If you want a perfume that lingers until death, this is it! It just doesn't GO away! But, sadly, other people may just go away! However, as an oriental, I find this nice, since I loathe most of them anyway. They're just too thick, heavy, and sweet. Sometimes nauseating. On the right person, though, I think it would smell lovely. It's just really not me at all, as all I get is a strong powdery amber scent. However, lately, I seem to be doing better with the "stronger"scents, so maybe, in time, I'll end up liking it! UPDATE:Purchased the generic perfume oil and like it. I guess when we reach a certain age, some perfumes that we once liked are no longer liked, and vice versa. It's pretty. STRONG, but used lightly, where's the beef? Seriously! It can't be worse than some of those sickenly sweet fruit salads out there!

This is one of my HG fragrances, and, I can kick myself in the ass for going as long as I did without wearing it. It's one fragrance that it is rare that someone doesn't come up to me and ask what I'm wearing when I have it on. Obsession is a rich, sexy, bold fragrance, and, when I need that extra bit of confidence, it gives it to me in spades. Yeah, I wore it back in the day when everyone and her sister did, and, I think that's why I went a while without wearing it, but, if you like and wear orientals well, do yourself a favor and try some.

Normally I do not have anything nice to say about Calvin Klein fragrances as most of them seem rather bland for my tastes. Obsession if an oriental floral that seems to explode into a far too heavy floral opening. I have trouble sorting out individual notes. However, I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the drydown which is warm and slightly spicy wherein I can detect a tiny bit of vanilla, but mostly sandalwood and spices. Extremely cosy, and perhaps a bit obsessive as well! :) I substract for the bad opening though, and because the fragrance overall does not work for me as I tend to go for lighter orientals.

Popular Fragrances