Paula's Choice All Bases Covered Foundation SPF 25

3.7

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide (Light Cream: 12.67%; Nude: 12.4%; Sand: 12.18%; Wheat: 11.83%; Fawn: 11.14%). Other Ingredients: Water, Isohexadecane (thickener/texture enhancer), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient), Silica (absorbent silicone), Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate (skin conditioning agent), Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol (silicone emollient), Hexyl Laurate (emulsifier), Tocopheryl Acetate (antioxidant), Polysorbate 80 (thickener), Polyethylene (film-former/slip agent), Alumina (opacifying agent), Magnesium Sulfate (thickener), Aluminum Stearate (thickeners), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickener), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based emulsifier), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben (all preservatives). May Contain: Iron Oxides (mineral pigments).

on 3/1/2005 8:52:00 AM

I wasn't sure whether to give this foundation 5 stars or merely one. Or none.
Here is why: One the one hand, this foundation truly lives up to it's claim. It will give you a matte finish - or, according to the esteemed Ms Begoun a "soft" matte finish, whatever this may mean - it blends impeccably, the colours are truly "skin" colours and it will last all day. So far, so good and 5 star worthy.

On the other hand, it will make you look OLD. Or, in case that you are very young, you will look older. Considerably. Even if the selected shade matches the skin perfectly and is blended skillfully. This product will eliminate every ounce of natural dewy-ness or radiance from your skin. Never mind what moisturizer is worn underneith it. And I have yet to meet a grown woman of any age who want's to look a decade older.

In addition, this foundation is aimed at people with "normal to dry skin", but I sincerely doubt that anyone with dry skin will find it even the slightest bit moisturizing.

Personally, I wouldn't repurchase the product. Incidentally, nor would either of my friends who tried it. Whilst all of them loved the shades, each and every one of them ( 35 - 45 age group) bemoaned the aging effect produced by this foundation. A great pity, really since this product is great in every other respect.

on 2/27/2005 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Someone called this a "running to the grocery store" base -- and yes, it is very light and sheer. I would call it a weekend base, but I guess that we are saying the same thing. The finish is luminous -- love it!!!! If you put on pressed powder afterward, you might get more coverage.

on 2/19/2005 3:26:00 PM

I am an Asian with dry and extremely sensitive skin. It is very hard for me to find the right shade of foundation. After I read the product reviews, I ordered sand and wheat from Paula's Choice and found that wheat is the PERFECT shade for me. My husband complimented me and said that I looked as if nothing was on my face." The shade of wheat is natural on me.

on 2/3/2005 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Good stuff. Creamy like milk. They have good customer services as well. I emailed them for some questions and they answered me right away. I heard they improved the formula and packaging? Can't wait to try it.

on 1/22/2005 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Great color selection--I'm hard to match and Sand with a little Nude mixed in is perfect. But--the texture and finish do not compare to my HG: Px Virtual Youth. VY has the most beautiful, slightly dewy finish, a little more coverage with a more natural look, and the right color match. Paula's All Bases Covered is a great backup for "going to the grocery store" makeup, but I will not repurchase when this runs out.

on 1/14/2005 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this foundation. I am using alabaster since I'm very pale. It is creamy yet not caky. I use it during the day since it has sunblock in it. The packaging could be more elegant, other than that, good job Paula!

on 12/22/2004 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Oooh, I love this. I've got sensitive combination skin that flakes, and have terrible luck with foundation. I’ve tried everything – Laura Mercier, MAC, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Vincent Longo – and this, for me, works best. Nice creamy texture (thick but fairly sheer), “nude” is the perfect match for my skin, it doesn’t settle in my pores or look pancake-y, and it’s got SPF 15. Non-drying, non-greasy, doesn’t accentuate flaking and lasts all day.

This would be particularly good for very pale women: I ordinarily take the lightest shade available, but with this, I had to bump up to “nude” from “alabaster."

Used to wear LM: got a free sample of this from Paula's site, and now I've switched. continued >>

on 11/24/2004 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have mix feeling about the product. I like the color (alabaster). It's very neutral. I also like the feel of it when I apply it. It's smooth and not too shinny, covers well. I also like it with SPF15, so I tend to use it during daytime. The thing I don't like it is the packaging. The prints on the tube comes right off to make my hands dirty! The tube itself is too stiff. I wish it comes in a more elegant tube.

I only liked 2 things about this foundation. Nude was *perfect* for my NC20 skin color. The SPF15 is great too. But I didn't like anything else about it... It was really thick and went on shiny/greasy looking. It didn't cover imperfections. It didn't stay on my combo skin for even one hour despite using a matte oil-absorbing powder over it. If you want to try this out before buying, you can get free samples on the website.

This is a great foundation. I am very picky about having good SPF coverage (UVA and UVB). The coverage is light to medium, and it is easy to blend. I tried Cliniques SPF anti-aging formula in two colors, but I didn't like it as much as this, and ended up going back to Paula's choice. For SPF foundation, this is my HG!