L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I usually dye my hair myself, mostly dark brown because it's easy and matches my hair and I can't mess it up too bad. I have used several different brands, vacilating between Garnier and L'oreal mostly as the others I tried fried my hair. I decided to try something more vibrant this round, and chose 4M, Dark Mahogany. Since my hair has some slight reddish tones to it, I thought it would enhance that part and be a nice dark reddish brown. I was right! The color was not quite as red as I thought it would be but it was a gorgeous shiny color and my hair felt great! Also I love the HUGE tube of weekly conditioner with it, the conditioner is awesome. I wish I could just buy that by itself!!!! My husband even commented that it made my blue eyes glow, so I know this is a great look! Definitely a keeper!!!!

I got this is ultra light ash brown its the les true brunettes but i couldn't find it so i decided to do a review in here. so my hair is naturally medium brown but i've been dying it light brown forever. A couple of weeks ago i bought garnier natural medium brown or something to go a shade darker but it turned my hair JET BLACK. it looked disgusting and made me look so washed out. i tried everything to get it out, prell, laundry detergent, vitamin c, color oops, all of it and it was still dark so i decided why not and went out and bought this, i just dyed my hair and wow i really do love it. it's the perfect light brown with just a little hint of gold not orange in the least. my one qualm is that the ends of my hair are still pretty dark but oh well ill just wait for them to fade. i would DEFINITELY purchase this again! much cheaper than going to a salon or bleaching which i thought about a lot, so glad i didn't!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Color in review: 8G Golden Blonde. Absolutely gorgeous color. The problem i have is that the consistency of the product is very runny and get's difficult to use on the bottom hair especially if it is long.My hair was lightened a bit to a light brown before i used this. So for brunettes with medium brown hair it will work & if you donot get the color in the first try donot give up use this again once or twice to get to the color you want.
Make sure you use a color care shampoo as i feel this color doesnot stay long enough on atleast my dark hair & may come out on washing with shampoo. For dark black hair if you bleach your hair for about 20 -23 mins and then use this color you will get a beautiful caramel golden color. Please make sure to use 2 boxes for long hair . Hope that helps :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have used this hair colour about 5-6 times. I colour my hair every 3-4 weeks. I have blonde hair and I was colouring my hair red, my roots were showing up super fast and the red would fade, so I would re-colour it. I noticed that my hair started to get SUPER SUPER crunchy and dry. Parts of my hair started to break off. I have a feeling that this may have been the culprit. I use to use a different brand of hair colour (same deal, colour every 3-4 weeks) for almost 2 years without any problems. I think that there is something in this hair colour that is not good for my hair. It's been almost 6 weeks since the last time I used this hair colour. My hair is still crunchy in some areas, but it is slowly getting better.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I decided to try the 6 1/2 G Lightest Golden Brown color instead of my usual L'Oreal Creme 6BB. First problem is that this did not cover my gray effectively (which the Creme does). Second, this smelled terrible -- very strong ammonia odor. Third, this formula dried out my hair significantly. I'm going to need to do some treatments to get my hair back to its shiny self. Ladies, buy the Creme formula instead!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I realize all hair dye stinks, but this really knocked my socks off. My eyes really burned and I tried to hold my breath because breathing this stuff in was awful. I even went outside onto my porch to finish the application, hoping the open air would help with the fumes, but it didn't help much. I left the dye on for about ten minutes and had to shower and rinse it all off because I couldn't stand the stink or the tingling scalp anymore and I started to get freaked out. So I can't comment on the results. Maybe I'm just super sensitive, or a big baby, but using this product was so unpleasant I will not repurchase.

I was going from brown to blonde; I had an inch of light brown/grey roots and six inches of dyed brown growth. I bleached twice with 30 vol. developer and my hair was still orange with yellow roots. I was debating cutting my losses and going to the salon, and going ahead and toning with the Preference Ash Blonde. I went ahead and used the L'oreal and it looks amazing! There isn't even a line of demarcation between my roots and growth; this evened everything out and gave me that nice ashy, champagne blonde. I let it develop for 45 minutes, though, and I think the packaging actually says 30 min. max, so don't expect to get blonde results on brown hair with this unless you pre-lighten. This is a great toner for bleached blonde hair. My hair also felt very soft and conditioned after rinsing and conditioning. I will use this again and again!

L'Oreal, I'm leaving you. The Garnier Nutrisse hair color is so much better than you are--better color, less dripping, less (although still obnoxious) smell. There's no contest. If it's any consolation, my mom still uses you since she doesn't know any better. That may soon change.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I just love L'Oreal Superior Preference. I used it the other day, shade #5A Medium Ash Brown, and it turned out perfect! I have naturally dark brown hair with about 10%-15% gray. To be honest, Superior Preference is not really good for gray coverage by itself, but if you also go purchase some Gray Magic or No Gray (or something of the like) and add it to the the hair color, the gray is definitely gone, and your hair is very luminous with color! And the conditioner is just wonderful-it really softens your hair nicely! The 2 downsides for me is that 1) the mixture has a strong smell, but if you can look past that, you're good to go and 2) I wish they would lower the price of it. So thanks to Superior Preference, my hair is that nice rich chocolate brown (not black, thankfully) and since I've used this product, I've gotten noticed more by hotties! Lol ;-)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

L'oreal Superior Preference = mediocre hair dye.

this dye has been around way longer than I've been alive, and has a freakishly high ammonia content for a modern dye. It is very drying, also. The upside is that I get good color quality, and fairly predictable, and a larger amount of dye than with cheaper brands, and a sizeable tube of conditioner. I like the blonde shades, for a box dye, they are very luminous and nice and they are never brassy on me, however I have seen professional dye give even better results, but as box dye goes I like their blondes the best. But, I'm displeased with the fact that they changed the gloves from legit, latex salon gloves to these crappy little plastic ones that look like the kind Revlon ColorSilk use? So, I guess what I dislike is the change in packaging to lower quality gloves and the too-high ammonia so it is a very smelly dye, very runny and watery, and drying and harsh on hair. I DO like how it gives me very nice, bright natural and luminous blondes (for a blonde dye with little lift, but my roots are naturally blonde, so..) and the ash shades don't turn green. I give it 3 stars because of all the ammonia, and smell, and it's super runny (says alot, because I'm used to smell), and 3 for packaging quality because they got so cheap with their formerly nice gloves. I had to put "no" on if I would buy it again, because there isn't a "maybe" option (not a definite yes, and not my first time using it, just so drying). Also, I usually used light ash blonde (level 9A) when I didn't use Revlon ColorSilk in golden blonde, and this time used natural blonde (N9? or something). It came over very natural, even, flawless color this time, looked very professional and awesome, although it was rather drying.

Video Reviews & Tutorials