December 19, 2014 | 1551 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2011 3:00:00 AM More reviews by xxAnjelicaxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

L'oreal Superior Preference = mediocre hair dye.

this dye has been around way longer than I've been alive, and has a freakishly high ammonia content for a modern dye. It is very drying, also. The upside is that I get good color quality, and fairly predictable, and a larger amount of dye than with cheaper brands, and a sizeable tube of conditioner. I like the blonde shades, for a box dye, they are very luminous and nice and they are never brassy on me, however I have seen professional dye give even better results, but as box dye goes I like their blondes the best. But, I'm displeased with the fact that they changed the gloves from legit, latex salon gloves to these crappy little plastic ones that look like the kind Revlon ColorSilk use? So, I guess what I dislike is the change in packaging to lower quality gloves and the too-high ammonia so it is a very smelly dye, very runny and watery, and drying and harsh on hair. I DO like how it gives me very nice, bright natural and luminous blondes (for a blonde dye with little lift, but my roots are naturally blonde, so..) and the ash shades don't turn green. I give it 3 stars because of all the ammonia, and smell, and it's super runny (says alot, because I'm used to smell), and 3 for packaging quality because they got so cheap with their formerly nice gloves. I had to put "no" on if I would buy it again, because there isn't a "maybe" option (not a definite yes, and not my first time using it, just so drying). Also, I usually used light ash blonde (level 9A) when I didn't use Revlon ColorSilk in golden blonde, and this time used natural blonde (N9? or something). It came over very natural, even, flawless color this time, looked very professional and awesome, although it was rather drying.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2011 5:28:00 PM More reviews by Janetg1953

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use to go to a salon for highlights and it was getting way too expensive so I tried Loreal Superior Preference in 8G medium golden blonde. I was impressed at the ease and the smell was not bad at all. It comes with a nice size tube of conditioner - enough for several weeks afterwards, which leaves my hair soft and silky feeling. What I liked the most is that it seemed to put variation in my hair (not all one bland color). I have gotten many compliments on it and people have said they like this alot better than the highlights I was paying $$$ for! My only complaint would be that at first it seemed a bit reddish/coppery, but that seems to go away after a week or two. I do use shampoo for color treated hair and the conditioner and I use the Loreal smoothing serum which is also a big help. I will buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Alexlsm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow! I luuuuuv this product. It works for my Asian hair!!!
I never leave any comment on products but I decided I would for the 1st time since it came out really GREAT. And since I’ve been searching all kinds of reviews and comparing product to product for days and I hope my review can be helpful for someone is having hard time with their Asian hair.
I am Asian and my hair is naturally black in color. I have long, fine hair and just like most Asians I too have orange/red undertone – I did not know till my stylist told me when I was getting my highlights couple months ago.
Since I salon colored my hair light/medium brown with highlights previously and my new grown hair is black I colored my hair with UL61 which is light brown color (cool tone). And it says for Dark brown to Black hair. And it came out just like the model’s hair on the box. It completely matches rest of my hair. No stain but really glossy and shiny!
I read other people’s review and it seems like if you have medium to thick Asian hair the color might come out little darker than the picture on the packaging box. But it still works!!
I used the brush and a bowl at Sallysalon – the formula is really runny so it wasn’t easy to apply without it. At least for me it was so much easier to use the brush and a bowl just like a hair stylist does. I applied on my hair root and left it for 30min. instead of 25min. Over all, it is a great product and a great deal. I'm definately buying it again!
Btw, your hair will look a little brighter the next day.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2011 12:38:00 AM More reviews by LiL_Laurie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

WOW great product, I am shocked at all the negative reviews. I have naturally medium/dark brown hair and went blond over a year ago (at the salon, slowly with lightening the base and adding hi-lights over time). I have to do my roots about once every 3-4 weeks which gets expensive, I decided to keep this up and stay blond that I would need to go drug store box dye. I picked #9 Light Blond - I knew this would not make me blond and it says on the box, what it did do was lighten my roots to the light brown base colour and freshened up my highlights. Looks just like when i get it done at the salon, couldn't be happier! Not brassy at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2011 12:12:00 AM More reviews by winnz

this was the worst hair colour kit i've used.. i bought the medium ash brown to use on my dark brown hair and it came out looking exactly like it did when i first started.. even thought i left it on for 20 extra minutes. AND my roots (5mm of it) came out light orange. i'm pretty upset right now. i won't be purchasing again. i'm going to go buy a root-touch up kit tomorrow to cover that up...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 8:51:00 PM More reviews by missmoffat

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have not used this comment and have entered the rating based on my sisters opinion of the product. I have long hair and have grown out all the old hair colour that was in my hair. Now my hair is what is called "virgin hair" and has no previous chemical treatments. My previous experience with having my hair coloured professionally has not been positive. I went to a salon today for a consulation with the owner and got the impression he is knowledgeable, he used Wella. I read on this site that the "new" version of the L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour is not the same as the old, as there is less colour in the new. I bought a box of both the old and the new. And it is the developer that is in the "new" that is half the amount of the developer in the "old." My sister had said there is no difference between the two and it was just the gloves that had changed. I will have to think it over but I think I will go with the professional hairstylist who uses Wella. I will have to say my sister had better results with this product than any of the professional haircolor results I have had done, so maybe I am making a mistake.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2011 3:57:00 AM More reviews by RissaGA

I used the medium ash brown color tonight to fix the awful orangy red tone I was getting in my hair from using peroxide to lighten my hair from the last dye that turned it black and then brass banisher that was suposed to fix the brassiness but turned my hair even more bright and red on top. I was worried it would come out black and not cover the orange but it came out a nice cool dark brown, a little darker than I wanted but I kind of expected that. I never leave comments on products but I decided if it came out well I would since i've been searching reviews trying to find a solution for my hair and thought if someone is having the same problem I could help. It was well worth the money i paid which was around $20 for two boxes and i still had a little bit left. my hair is down to the middle of my back and layered which makes it a little thinner so if you have thick long hair you might want to buy three boxes, if your hair is short one box should be fine. It wasn't as messy as some of the dyes i used before maybe because it was more creamy instead of liquid. The conditioner that came with it left my hair feeling nice soft and shiny. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants dark brown hair and has trouble with red and orange tones when they dye their hair. I would buy this product again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by x5x5x5x5x5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

History: I am a med/dark brunette with 50% gray. I went from that to almost platinum blonde and have decided it's just too much maintenance. Check out my reviews if you are interested in the history. Yesterday I purchased Loreal Excellence Creme in Light Auburn. Color came out pretty but I wanted to go darker. So I purchased this product in Dark Auburn 4R. Let me say that it seems by appearance of the actual product - the excellence creme is better than superior preference. It's not quite as runny as I was expecting based on the reviews - but it's much runnier than the creme line. Also, I barely had enough to cover my hair. I have pretty thick around shoulder length hair. If I even had another inch, I'd probably have to get another box. Someone with fine and thin hair would probably not have this problem - but good to note. As for the color, it turned out more red than auburn. Dark red. Don't see alot of brown. Probably because I was coming off of bleached hair topped with light auburn. Too much red. I'll get a warm brown rinse and be done with all of this. If you have any type of blonde hair (even dark blonde) I would probably steer away from this. The box indicates that the lightest hair for use with this is light brown. Yesterday I thought my hair was dark enough for use - but now I realize I was probably more dark strawberry blonde than light auburn. Oh well. Live and learn.

Okay - had to update. I just styled my hair and the color isn't as overtly red as I thought. I mean, it's red don't get me wrong - but it's more flattering than I initially thought. I changed it from a no buy again to a yes buy again. But not for blondes unless you are the darkest of dark - or want auburn hair more on the red side. See my pix.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2011 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Jade272

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using L'Oreal's Superior Preference line of hair colour for over 5 years and I have loved it so far...until the changed to the "new" formula. The current formula is not as creamy as the previous formulas, it's more of a liquid and is very messy to use. They don't give you very much anymore in the bottles, far less than what you use to get so I now need 2 boxes instead of 1 box to dye my entire head. The gloves are no longer the high quality latex/rubber gloves, they are cheap plastic gloves that generally rip before you've even started dying your hair. The worst part is the new formula simply doesn't dye the hair as well as the old. I saturate my hair with the dye, wait no less than the required time and all over my head is patches and streaks where the dye did not work- even though the hair was completely covered with dye.

I don't understand L'oreal- they keep raising their prices and lowering the quality of their product. If they expect me to purchase my own gloves plus spend $20- $30 on their product (depending on if I can find it on sale) for dye that does not work, they're crazy. I'll be switching brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 6:52:00 PM More reviews by julie3000julie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this hair color for 10 years. No matter what shade of blond I use, it always comes out the exact color on the box, which is nice, no surprises! The only complaint I have is that lately my hair has been very brassy, so I'm going to try something else. Other than that, I would recommend this product to any blondes, just make sure the color on the box is the color you want!