October 31, 2014 | 1347 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2011 3:57:00 AM More reviews by RissaGA

I used the medium ash brown color tonight to fix the awful orangy red tone I was getting in my hair from using peroxide to lighten my hair from the last dye that turned it black and then brass banisher that was suposed to fix the brassiness but turned my hair even more bright and red on top. I was worried it would come out black and not cover the orange but it came out a nice cool dark brown, a little darker than I wanted but I kind of expected that. I never leave comments on products but I decided if it came out well I would since i've been searching reviews trying to find a solution for my hair and thought if someone is having the same problem I could help. It was well worth the money i paid which was around $20 for two boxes and i still had a little bit left. my hair is down to the middle of my back and layered which makes it a little thinner so if you have thick long hair you might want to buy three boxes, if your hair is short one box should be fine. It wasn't as messy as some of the dyes i used before maybe because it was more creamy instead of liquid. The conditioner that came with it left my hair feeling nice soft and shiny. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants dark brown hair and has trouble with red and orange tones when they dye their hair. I would buy this product again.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by x5x5x5x5x5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

History: I am a med/dark brunette with 50% gray. I went from that to almost platinum blonde and have decided it's just too much maintenance. Check out my reviews if you are interested in the history. Yesterday I purchased Loreal Excellence Creme in Light Auburn. Color came out pretty but I wanted to go darker. So I purchased this product in Dark Auburn 4R. Let me say that it seems by appearance of the actual product - the excellence creme is better than superior preference. It's not quite as runny as I was expecting based on the reviews - but it's much runnier than the creme line. Also, I barely had enough to cover my hair. I have pretty thick around shoulder length hair. If I even had another inch, I'd probably have to get another box. Someone with fine and thin hair would probably not have this problem - but good to note. As for the color, it turned out more red than auburn. Dark red. Don't see alot of brown. Probably because I was coming off of bleached hair topped with light auburn. Too much red. I'll get a warm brown rinse and be done with all of this. If you have any type of blonde hair (even dark blonde) I would probably steer away from this. The box indicates that the lightest hair for use with this is light brown. Yesterday I thought my hair was dark enough for use - but now I realize I was probably more dark strawberry blonde than light auburn. Oh well. Live and learn.

Okay - had to update. I just styled my hair and the color isn't as overtly red as I thought. I mean, it's red don't get me wrong - but it's more flattering than I initially thought. I changed it from a no buy again to a yes buy again. But not for blondes unless you are the darkest of dark - or want auburn hair more on the red side. See my pix.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2011 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Jade272

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using L'Oreal's Superior Preference line of hair colour for over 5 years and I have loved it so far...until the changed to the "new" formula. The current formula is not as creamy as the previous formulas, it's more of a liquid and is very messy to use. They don't give you very much anymore in the bottles, far less than what you use to get so I now need 2 boxes instead of 1 box to dye my entire head. The gloves are no longer the high quality latex/rubber gloves, they are cheap plastic gloves that generally rip before you've even started dying your hair. The worst part is the new formula simply doesn't dye the hair as well as the old. I saturate my hair with the dye, wait no less than the required time and all over my head is patches and streaks where the dye did not work- even though the hair was completely covered with dye.

I don't understand L'oreal- they keep raising their prices and lowering the quality of their product. If they expect me to purchase my own gloves plus spend $20- $30 on their product (depending on if I can find it on sale) for dye that does not work, they're crazy. I'll be switching brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 6:52:00 PM More reviews by julie3000julie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this hair color for 10 years. No matter what shade of blond I use, it always comes out the exact color on the box, which is nice, no surprises! The only complaint I have is that lately my hair has been very brassy, so I'm going to try something else. Other than that, I would recommend this product to any blondes, just make sure the color on the box is the color you want!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2011 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Jeanneelise

I have been using L'Oreal preference for at least a couple of years . I just purchased a box to refresh my hair color.

The box said "new" on it . I thought that was strange and wanted to see if the "new" was any better.

NOPE

There is noticeably less dye!! I have a short hair style , not even touching my shoulders and didn't have enough to cover .
It was shocking. I have about an inch in the bottle and about a quarter inch in the color. They had never been opened and the box was pristine.
I guess the "new" is like everything else now less of it for the same price!!

BEWARE if you have hair even to your shoulders , the
" NEW" Version will NOT cover your hair.

I did go back to the store and opened up a couple of boxes to make sure it just wasn't a single issue. NOPE all of them had the same amount. Much Less.

I

L'Oreal this is not acceptable!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by odj

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used this haircolor for the past 20 years, and have been pretty satisfied, until they changed the gloves to the cheaper ill-fitting plastic, versus the original latex. great fitting gloves. I am so disappointed. I sure hope that they choose to change back soon, and have sales on this product more often.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2011 8:32:00 PM More reviews by Jinx41

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product was really drippy so of course I got it all over my carpet which never happens with my other at home colors. The conditioner was really nice and creamy. The color didn't last long for my resistant grays which I have at the hairline. I actually tried revlon colorsilk today and really liked it better than this product. It was also much cheaper than the loreal.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by brizz

I had to give a review for this product due to all the bad reviews I read about it. I had no trouble at all with any drips and the smell wasn't any worse than other hair colors. My color came out exactly like I wanted and it covered the little bit of grays I have. I'm glad I tried this despite the complaints that I read about it. Since I just used it today, I don't know about fading yet. But I will buy this again the next time I color my hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/24/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by live2teach

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Found a great sale, so thought I'd try this product. My hair is more than 50% gray, so coverage is important, especially since a good 2" of roots were showing on my previously salon-dyed hair. Used the dark brown shade, and the colour was true to the lightest picture on the package. I do like the final colour and texture, and do not find it dull or dried out, as others have mentioned. However, I do have to agree with other reviewers who found this product excessively smelly and messy! I could not believe how messy this stuff was to use. It just seemed to drip everywhere. Yuck. Would not buy this product again, simply because it was so darn messy - I will stick to the thicker cream colour formulas.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by jillmg89

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I really, really like this product line. I was born with very light blonde hair which has turned into a darker "dirty" blonde as I've gotten older. For about the past 19 years, I have had my hair professionally highlighted with light blonde to lighten the overall appearance of my hair. Well, after being a blonde my entire life, I decided to be a brunette... I had my hairdresser dye my hair a medium brown shade and she added caramel highlights. It looked great! I have now decided to save money and ventured on to "box" color at home- I was VERY nervous at first because I have heard horror stories about do-it-yourself hair dye kits. Well, I purchased 6AM Light Amber Brown and decided to go for it. I followed the directions exactly. I did not mind the smell, as I knew hair dye would not smell good, and, I did not have the trouble with the dripping as other reviewers seemed to have (this is the only at-home hair dye that I have used, so I do not have anything else to compare it to). I did take precaution and wore an old tee shirt and wrapped an old towel over my shoulders. I did notice a couple of small drips on the counter top, which I wiped off immediately and there was not stain left behind. The color turned out almost exactly as it was shown on the box! It had a bit more of a red tint, but with the "Amber" in the name, that is what I was sort of expecting.The color held true for about 5 weeks (I wash my hair daily) and then began to fade to a lighter brown with golden blonde highlights near the crown of my head. It actually looked pretty, but I wanted to be darker again. I waited about 2 more weeks then tried again. This last time I used 5CB Medium Chestnut Brown. Again, the color came out very similiar to that on the box. This turned out a deeper brown with a hint of reddish hue, which I have received many compliments on. I am very pleased with this hair color line and will continue to use. I have long (past my shoulders) hair and have not noticed any damage to my hair at all (love the conditioner that comes with it)! I cannot speak for grey coverage because fortunately, I do not have many grey hairs yet. Overall, two thumbs up!