MAC Face and Body Foundation

Water, Dimethicone, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Butylene Glycol, PVP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Talc, Tocopherol, Tocopherol Acetate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange), Fusanus Spicatus Wood oil, Xantham Gum, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin [+/- Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens]

on 3/19/2015 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

**EDIT: For whatever reason, application with fingers finally clicked for me and I'm convinced that it's the best method for the formula. It works best when it becomes slightly tacky, which only takes a few seconds as you tap it over your face.
I finally decided to see why everyone seems to love F&B so much, and I have to say, it's a good foundation. The short of it is I like the truly skin-like finish and its tendency to disguise dry patches. It's helped me feel much better about my skin since I started struggling with hormonal acne a few months ago.
I've only worn BB cream for the past year or so because I despise, more than anything, the heavy feeling of foundation and that slightly mask-like, powdery look that comes with it; even though I apply with a light hand, I've always hated seeing my skin on cloudy days and under overhead lighting that immediately makes my foundation look obvious and kind of gross. But I was intrigued when I kept reading that this foundation was *the* most natural-looking base on the market. Of course I went for it and was not disappointed.
I'm between NC15 and 20, so C1 was slightly darker, but wearable; I've since mixed with the white shade (WHY must they only sell white in the larger bottle?) so shade isn't a problem anymore. 90% of reviews--including pros-- say to apply this with your fingers, but I must be doing it all wrong because I couldn't seem to get it to look right. The formula is extremely runny and my method of tap-and-spread gave me a smeared, uneven look, and if I waited too long for it to set, it applied patchily. I went to both my Sephora buffing brush and Beautyblender next, both giving me a wonderful finish. These tools will soak up quite a bit if you let them, so apply quickly. I prefer the Beautyblender because it seems to soak up a bit less than the brush. The coverage is somewhat buildable, but you'd be hard-pressed to get more than medium. The light smell is a little like acrylic paint and disappears once applied. I apply foundation to my T-zone and jaw line, avoiding cheeks and the upper perimeter of my face.
I was surprised to discover that the finish looked beautiful in all lighting-- I'd only apply powder where my glasses rest on my nose to keep them from sliding around. I checked how it appeared in overhead lighting and it was flawless. In my attempt to describe the finish as something other than skin-like, it leans dewy and lies very close to your face since it's so liquidy. This means it won't disguise imperfections like pits or bumps, although my pores are blurred away. I have a fair amount of dryness right now, so I appreciate that it improves the look of my dry patches. I don't wear any other products over my foundation so I can't speak to how it plays with highlighter, blush, etc., but sometimes I do light nose contouring and the foundation doesn't seem to affect it. While this formula won't migrate, it will transfer, but not excessively. Just blot lightly with a paper and your coverage will stay. My skin is doing all kinds of weird stuff right now but I'd say I am combo-dry and usually blot every 5 hours. Even if it's upwards of 7 hours, Face and Body will definitely look oily, but it does not break down on me, which is more important in my opinion!
I really appreciate the utilitarian bottle: easy to clean, won't make a mess when dispensing, and keeps the foundation away from bacteria. Plus, it won't shatter if I drop it.
If you're after a base that very closely resembles your skin, feels weightless, and gives sheer to medium coverage, go for it.

on 3/16/2015 10:59:00 AM

I initialed reviewed this foundation on 1/2/06 (yes, I have been on this site for a really long time) and I deleted it in favor of an updated review since no one found my prior review helpful. I am really an N/NW10-15, but I bought this in C1 long ago, and I bought the same shade several years ago. It is too yellow for me, and if I purchased it again, I would get N1 in the smaller size. I got the 4 oz. size because I did not know it came in a smaller version. This is the only foundation I feel comfortable wearing on my body since it does not transfer. I also wear it on some days on my cheeks, which are dry. I don't wear it on my t-zone, which is oily, because I am afraid it would break me out. I shake the bottle, then pour some on the back of my hand. I (still) find that no matter how careful I am, I squirt out much too much product. I then apply it with my fingers, and when it starts to feel a little bit stiff, I let it set. I have to say, I haven't been happy wearing it on my cheeks recently. It seems to accentuate the pores in the upper part of my cheeks, and it doesn't blend all that easily. I just haven't found the finish to be as polished as I like it, and it isn't a great canvas for blush. I have to use powder before applying blush, which can get cakey on my dry skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Seriously one of the greatest foundations out there. If you haven't yet tried it, you're missing out & should seriously consider adding this to your arsenal! I'm a professional makeup artist & I turn to this foundation for the majority of my clients & often for myself.

Face & Body is a longwear, lightweight, sheer, water-based foundtion that has super buildable coverage. It's good for any skin type, the shade range is phenomenal and the amount of product you get for the price is unbeatable.

Do yourself a favor and apply this very minimally WITHOUT a primer. Moisturize your clean skin and apply about a pearl-sized amount of this with your fingertips as a base and then add another layer with fingers, a BeautyBlender, a flat-top buffing brush or stippling brush...anything, really. As your blend this second layer, you'll notice that the coverage builds the more that you blend! No need to slap on a million layers.

on 3/9/2015 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using Face and Body foundation for just about 2 years now and can't seem to find another foundation I love as much. First, the quantity of product you get for the price by far exceeds that of other brands. A little goes a ling way and this can last almost 1 year. If you are looking for lightweight coverage, this is it. Does not feel heavy on the skin even in the hottest or most humid days and coverage does last all day. I would have given this 5 stars if it had spf and provided a bit more coverage but otherwise, I will definitely repurchase and recommend.

It is a lightweight foundation that provides a light coverage. Feels very liquidy while applying so it is good it comes in a bottle with a small tip. You can't expect this foundation to cover any of the major imperfectness being it redness or pimples or pigmentation. It will all come through. Yet it is a good product for a "no make up" make up look. It does even out the skin colour a bit and delivers a natural satin finish. Don't think it will work well for very dry or oily skin types, but it is good for any skin type in the mid range.
Applies well with a stippling brush or fingers. Would not recommend a Beautyblender as it would be all soaked up.
You can use it on your body ofc as the name suggests. I don't find a lot of use for it.
Also wanted to compare this foundation to MUFE Face & Body as they have the same name. The product though is not quite the same. MUFE foundation in my experience provides a better coverage being equally runny. It also lasts longer during the day and works well for oily skin types alongside with dry ones.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Not that great for girls with oily skin. If you're going to use it when you have oily skin id recommend setting it with a powder. Wears nicely through out the day otherwise :)
Also €36 isn't bad for a bottle that will literally last you a life time!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I picked this up while I was in Paris. I have very dry skin so the lady recommended this stuff in shade C2. I would not recommend putting this on your body because it covers nothing and also transfers like crazy. So if you care about your clothes, don't use this anywhere other than your face. The consistency is very runny, still has a slightly chalky feeling to it though. Once it is applied, it is extremely tacky, quite cloying and makes me look like an oil slick. The coverage is minimum but evens out my complexion very nicely. It gives my normally ruddy coloring a nice warm Kimmy K style glow.

But you need to put powder over this foundation. Because it is just way too wet looking to go without. Only thing is: once you add powder, it makes this foundation separate and look very gunky + unsightly. Even though this foundation is very runny and light, it feels incredibly heavy on my skin. Much heavier than my Studio Fix Fluid.

In simple terms, I use this foundation to thin out my heavier foundations so they become runnier and easier to blend, instead of using moisturiser, so that the foundation doesn't lose too much coverage or get watered down in terms of color. Because this is so wet and Studio Fix Fluid is so dry and matte, what I do is mix the two together and I come up with the perfect consistency and coverage for my skin. On it's own however, it doesn't hold up well. Another overly hyped product from MAC unfortunately.

on 2/25/2015 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a good everyday sheer foundation for dry skin. I dug this out and have remembered how gorgeous it is on super dry skin, it is thin, watery and moisturising and goes on best with fingers to give a sheer bit of colour.

Coverage is light, medium at best after a couple of layers. I find that you must let it dry between layers and before powdering too to get the best finish. It can be tacky when first applied but dries to a dewy finish. Concealer applied after its dried can give extra coverage.

I don't see how this foundation would work on oily skin at all, it is far too dewy, but maybe normal skin with powder?
Packaging is great, price is good for the amount of product you get, 50 ml is more than most standard foundations and the 120 ml is fantastic value.
Only thing is would say is it isn't the most long lasting foundations on me, is does say long wearing on Mac website but this does start to wear off on me by late afternoon. How I've got around this is by mixing it with other foundations if I need longevity.
Mac studio sculpt mixes wonderfully with this!

Last thing is this foundation photographs so so well! No flashback ever, I can see why it's such a makeup artist favourite.

on 2/25/2015 7:51:00 AM

hm. not too sure how i feel about this one!

basically: do not bother unless you're prepared to invest in a powder as well.

i spent $AU50 on this foundation with the expectation that it would be fabulous considering mac's reputation and unfortunately, i feel like it doesn't quite stack up.

my skin is fairly unproblematic but i do get some oil around the nose area, so i was hoping for sheer coverage that didn't leave me looking shiny. i was pretty unimpressed immediately after application as i looked like an oily mess! the foundation itself is super liquidy. it was only after i let the foundation dry for quite a few minutes that the shine started to reside, and even then it still felt very wet. it wasn't until i added a cheap pharmacy brand powder that i actually started liking the result.

so basically, this foundation + a powder (+ concealer) will give you a lovely result, but when i'm paying this much for a product i sort of wish i didn't need any extras in order for it to actually work, especially considering i've never required powder for a foundation before!

also, beware! this foundation DOES oxidise and slightly change colour if you don't use it pretty much every day. i've heard that leaving the bottle in the fridge stops it oxidising but i haven't tried it myself. and don't bother using a foundation brush! it'll just eat up all the product and take ages to clean because of how liquidy it is.

– the eventual end result was nice
– bottle makes application simple enough
– buying mac products makes me feel like an adult

– i am really fair-skinned and even the lightest shade makes me slightly orange
– it may turn you into an oil machine
– hefty price for something that doesn't totally deliver

on 2/19/2015 8:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I'm ok with this foundation, but definitely not repurchasing - I even gave away my current 120ml bottle.

I really like the packaging and that's why it's 3 lippies instead of 2.

Product: Very liquid, watery like texture.

Application: TACKY. No kidding this is the tackiest foundation I've ever used. Even thicker foundation like the ELF acne fighting foundation is not as tacky as this. U can feel it sticking to ur skin - making it feel heavy. Not lightweight at all.

Finish: Gives a nice healthy glow, which I'm not fond of as I'm oily.

Coverage: Very very sheer, don't expect this to cover your scars / hyper pigmentation.

Also, it broke me out just after a usage. Rarely do I break out but I guess mac foundations just have the same formula all round, I'll just stick to my beloved pro longwear concealer as a quick foundation fix.

Video Reviews & Tutorials