August 30, 2014 | 1750 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Blackground

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So I really wanted to love this product...and I like it on my clients and using it on other people. But on myself frankly I think it looks horrendous. I can blend it out well and it can look really good, but in my normal day routine it just takes too much damn time.

I now use this as an eyeliner mainly, and its great when you have the time...but I think using a shadestick is 100% easier and faster

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2009 4:24:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I originally purchase this when paint pots were first introduced, along with four others, which I no longer have because they all dried up. I bought them because I thought they were cream eyeshadows that did not need much effort (for quick mornings). I did not know much about makeup yet, so I never used them properly and hated the texture of all of them except Indianwood. After watching YouTube and reading make up blogs, I discovered how others used them and decided to give them another try. I purchased Painterly, Blackground and Rubenesque. I wanted Blackground because I am always wearing dark shadows (necessary for my type lids). When I tried it on I wanted to cry, I hated it because it did not blend well, had a weird shimmer to it and did not apply evenly. I thought I made a mistake trying it again, but I kept it. I gave it a few more tries and now I use it daily (crazy I know). I found a brush that picks it up well and applies it nicely. I use a tiny shader brush (a mini version of the 242 brush, from Ulta). It is still not apply as smoothly as Painterly, but its black, so you can notice flaws on it more, but once you apply a well pigmented shadow over it, it is beautiful. I apply dark matte colors over it and it works well, but it definitely is best with duochrome colors like MAC Club and satiny colors like Mulch or Satin Taupe.

Bottom line: I use it daily and need it for how I like my monolids to look. Formula and possibly even the color can be improved but I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by BRosa

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

(Click "Continued" for swatch)

Great as a base for smoky eyes or other frosty e/s to make the color appear "more vibrant" as many people say. It has a bit of shimmer, so I have used it on its own. Also, great as an eyeliner. I apply it with my fingers or with the MAC 249.

Some people complain it's hard to blend but I just really heat it up with my blowdryer for a few seconds and problem solved. I do the same with Painterly and Soft Ochre.

Great staying power, eyeshadows don't fade or move a bit when I use PPs as a base. Will buy again and again.

Swatch (natural light):
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2009 8:22:00 PM More reviews by stephiem

I always wondered how people got such a dark smoky eye. I just figured they used A LOT of eye shadow but I was watching a youtube video recently and a girl was doing a smoky eye and she used this and I thought "wow what a great idea" and it really is.. I love this stuff I don't know how I lived without it before. A staple for girls who love to do a smoky eye. Get this! I'm definitely going to try other colours now!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2009 5:13:00 PM More reviews by jenn7985

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

i got this the other day and im in loooove with it. i use it as a staple for a dramatic smokey eye.. i see where people are coming from when they say that the consistancy is a little hard to work with... i solved this problem by using a small concealer brush (like the $5 one from walgreens) and using a little bit at a time patting it on my lid and building up the color slowly instead of trying to smear a big blob on my lid which came out patchy and not cute.... when i used the concealer brush and gently patted it into my lid it was fantastic.. no splotches and it was even and beautiful. i dont like using alot or having it be totally black, i like to apply it lightly and make it a light grayish color as my base for a smokey eye. if i make it to dark then whatever color i put over it makes me look like i got punched in the eye

my favorite looks with this are putting swish over it on the inner corner, trax over the rest of the lid and sketch in the crease with a little bit of fuschia pigment on the outer corner to brighten it up

i also love putting silver ring and knight divine over blackground

if u use a brush and pat it on the lid it will be beautiful... a shimmer blackish gray color depending on how heavy u apply it

definitly worth it =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2009 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Sophia1105

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product has breathed new life into my eye make-up. I could never get the black smokey eye the way I wanted for both day and night until I started playing around with this. I'll smudge a little beneath my lower lash line and then above, then line with MAC's Blacktrack and perfect eye! Seriously everyone should have this in their bag! This elevates every single eyeshadow by adding more depth to the color. Ones I *never* thought I'd use suddenly have new potential with this. I only lightly smudge over my lids such that it looks more like I didn't take all my eye make-up off, then apply the desired color on top. This gives great staying power too. I'd be LOST without this product. Every singly time I wear this product I receive compliments on my eyes.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 12:07:00 PM More reviews by Aligirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I wanted this so badly because I loved Indianwood and thought all paint pots would be similar..Man,.. was I wrong.This is incredibly hard to blend.They harder you try,the worse it looks.It almost starts to ball up and come off.And before you question whether the product was dried out,no it seems very creamy upon initially dipping into the pot.But as soon as it hits your lid,it seems to dry instantly**confusing** You'd probably get better application from Sharkskin shadestick...which is slightly more grey and less black than Blackground. And while I'm not a fan of Sharkskin either,at least it blends..unlike Blackground

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 12:57:00 AM More reviews by arikabh

great eye shadow base. this makes your eye look last no matter what.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2008 5:59:00 PM More reviews by BeeGee35

i think this product is essential to a smokey eye... but other than that.. i don't know why else i'd use it. but i do love me some smokey eyes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2008 8:44:00 PM More reviews by TopNote

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My first paint pot and I love the shimmery black color. My only gripe is that its a pain in the a** to blend!! The texture is kind of dry and pasty and I had to spend quite some time getting this to blend evenly with a brush. I set it with UD Oilslick and it was beautiful, lasted all day.