September 1, 2014 | 2011 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2011 5:23:00 AM More reviews by 777designz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

Like several others have mentioned, this soap is very drying. Because of that I can't use it on my face or hair. It leaves my hair a tangled mess and my scalp dry. My face started flaking and peeling after a couple uses, and the peppermint bothers my eyes (and yes, I don't use it near my eyes and I keep them closed). I even find it too drying on my body most of the year.

So why would I buy this again? During the summer when my skin is oilier it doesn't bother me. In fact it being drying helps keep me feeling comfortable in the hot weather. But the main reason I like it is the peppermint feels so cooling and refreshing during a hot summer day. I haven't found any mint soap that has such a strong cooling sensation. It also feels amazing during a foot soak for tired aching feet.

If you have dry or sensitive skin I would recommend avoiding it. Those wth oily skin should have no problem using this. For the rest of us with "normal" skin I'd say if you get this just don't use it when your skin is dry and be sure to dilute it like they recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2011 2:09:00 AM More reviews by luxybon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This soap is very stripping. I do NOT recommend using this on the face, body, or hair, as it will dramatically dry skin and hair out. Also, it will wash off any fake tan you have, if any.

I give this a 2 rating because I do like the feel of it on my scalp. I have seborrheic dermatitis and peppermint always feels wonderful on my itchy scalp. Since the peppermint is very potent in this soap, I would only recommend it for the occasional scalp treatment (with an intensive moisturizing treatment afterward) and for feet. I also like that it is an affordable, all-natural product that is available to everyone.

I wouldn't buy this product again. Peppermint essential oil lasts longer and is just as effective if you are looking for that tingling, minty sensation in your shampoo or foot scrub, and it's also not as drying.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

A 2 oz. bottle of this was my Target impulse buy one afternoon. I have tried the unscented and the lavender versions of these soaps, so I figure I couldn't lose since I already like them. I was not disappointed with the peppermint version. In this seemingly endless Texas summer, using this as shower gel has been heavenly. The peppermint zing is so refreshing, it literally makes you shiver when using it. Do not use this, like others have said, on any delicate areas for just this reason. I have also used it successfully as a face wash and hand soap (literally two drops will do you for either use). It has not dried my skin out or left a film in any way, and it washes base makeup clean away (I would not advise this for use around the eyes though). I am seriously thinking of using this as my summer cleanser. It's economical and performs really well. Wonderful.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2011 8:48:00 AM More reviews by Michelle219

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried this as a body wash, toothpaste, and laundry detergent but now I use it as a shampoo only. It does strip and tangle my hair but my hair oil and detangling conditioner take care of those problems. I love this because it thoroughly cleans my hair and scalpel, which stay so fresh between washes.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by anarchotics

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my first review and I'm full of praises for this castille soap! I actually bought this along with the tea tree soap about a year ago, but forgot about it. Recently, I've been feeling that my dove liquid soap isn't doing a good enough job cleaning my body and my dove shampoo seems to be causing clogged pores on my forehead. I remembered the squeaky clean feeling that dr bronner's gave me and decided to substitute my chemical-laden products with a natural alternative.

Using this basically from top to toe is very refreshing especially after a long day. It leaves my skin super clean and it completely clarifies my hair! It removes all the buildup that my other shampoos have left in my hair - all the silicones and sulfates and whatever.

The only reason why I don't use this as a face wash is because I don't wash my face - only water. (And it's working REALLY well) :)

I like that dr bronner's is very good value because you pay a small price for a huge amount of product which I get four times as much product because I dilute at a 1:4 soap-to-water ratio (or less). Also, I feel better because I know that I'm not washing chemicals and environmental toxins down the drain, into the ocean.

Lastly, the packaging is really awesome! I agree with one reviewer that there is little product description or information and instead there's a shitload of religious rants and blablabla, but it IS refreshing and since dr bronner's is a really natural, simple product i doubt there are many warnings or usage instructions anyway. The only reason why I wouldn't repurchase this is because I want to try other scents. Hooray for dr bronner's!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2011 7:20:00 PM More reviews by turquoiseginger

I love this product. Be forewarned though. Dilution is key!! I use it as an all-over bodywash, shampoo, and shaving. I also add it to my spa water for home pedicures. It smells great and I love the tingle of the peppermint.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 7:18:00 PM More reviews by lauramvig

I bought the tiny sample size of this first for AUD$2.50, because my skin has been freaking out lately so I wanted to be sure this would be OK.

I have extremely irritated skin, it is flaky, dry and requires a lot of TLC. I usually use all Aesop and Dermalogica products because I find they seem to calm my face down a bit, but lately my cleanser (Aesop purifying cream cleanser) just doesn't seem to get all my makeup off.

I used a tiny drop and lathered it up with a heap of water before putting it on my face. It feels really cooling and I think it calmed down some of the redness. I've only used it twice, but I think when I finish this bottle, if my skin is still loving it, I will probably repurchase a large size.

I used it once on my Dermalogica exfoliating brush and it still didn't further irritate my skin. No more hideous flakes and a lot less redness.

I definitely think I would only use this in the evenings, though. It will probably be too drying for me in the morning.

Will try as a body wash next. Don't think I will use this in my hair though, as mine is coloured.

Absolutely HATE the bottle. I am tempted to rip the label off.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So hands down...im obsessed...

I purchased this the other day from Trader Joe's. I believe that this is the cheapest place you can get it (in store and online). My roommate uses it and after researching I decided I should try it out.

I've only used it on my body and face. I love the way it made my skin feel. I felt squeeky clean. I guess some may say that it could be drying, but I use cream lotion and baby oil gel as soon as I leave the shower, so I never have issues with soaps drying my skin. I also used it on my face, and same issue...I have very oily skin in general so I loved the squeeky clean feeling this gave my skin. I use an oil free moisturizer (sometimes mixed with a the tiniest amount of honey) and continue with my normal face routine. This body wash is an amazing addition to my morning. Its so refreshing.

I also love how much you get! This is how I rationalize...lets say you purchase a bottle of dove for $3.50-4.00...great price right? Yes....however, how much of the product d oyou use on a daily basis? I find myself going through a large bottle in less than a month. Dr. Bronners requires soooo little product for each use. I use exfoliating gloves to shower...and I put MAYBE a pea sized amount, and that may be too much...and enough lather to wash my entire body. I use tell than that for my face. Once I complete an entire bottle I will update.

I know now unless some freak accident happens I will be using this for a very long time (and hopefully other scents). ALSO...I have very long hair, and I use a lot of product in it (when I wear it curly I use a leave in conditioner and curl enhancer, and when straight I use Argan Oil before heat styling) and i find that sometimes they irritate my skin. I dont have body acne, but when I get out the shower and my conditioned hair is on my skin, sometimes my hair will cause a rash, a fine layer of bumps....when using this soap i find that it cleans my skin so well other things dont irriate my skin as much...this may just be for me...but I see a few other reviewers say that its cleared up there skin as well.

I was thinking of trying this as shampoo when I do a mayonaise conditioning masque on my hair (followed by a richer shampoo)...if I do this I will update my review again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 10:33:00 PM More reviews by birdsofafeather

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just a fun bit of errata for those that note that this product, while great for a body wash tends to be to strong for, as one reviewer put it "your lady bits"--- Ever notice how many men love this particular Dr. Bronner's soap? Well, for the same reason it's too strong for your lady bits, it's rather stimulating to the man bits!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by donnatd

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best bathing product during a heat wave.
You can use it as shower gel, shampoo, hand soap, or bubble bath.

When you are hot, sweaty, dog-tired, stressed and grouchy,
jumping into the shower with this gives you a shivery sensation upon scrubbing, super refreshing when you need it.
There is little fragrance left on the skin, just the woooooosh
of refreshment. No additives, and it rinses clean.

It is gentle cleansing for most skin types (NOT for use in
intimate areas!)- and is unisex- even kids would enjoy it.

Super, natural product that comes in handy when other soaps might not feel so good.