November 24, 2014 | 1713 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - Peppermint Castille Soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2012 3:03:00 AM More reviews by MadisonBryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I guess you can say I have never been "conscious" about what I am putting on my body... For whatever reason, I have started paying attention. All of the high end fashion gurus in New York and California swear by this stuff.. And believe me, I definitely did my research before I purchased it at Target. The price is definitely worth the product considering it is extremely concentrated and you only need to use a few drops (YES, I SAID DROPS!) to get a great lather.

Dr. Bronner's is 100% organic AND it's sensational! I was a bit leery as to how much I was supposed to use (the bottle says DILUTE! DILUTE! DILUTE!) so I opened the cap and let three drops onto my shower puff.

The peppermint creates and extremely invigorating experience in the shower.. Kind of like the feeling you get with Vick's Vapo Rub but not as strong. It's lovely! This stuff makes my skin silky smooth and there is no doubt that it is clean. My boyfriend says I smell like a walking peppermint patty!!

The religious jargon that is written on the bottle is rather odd, but I enjoy reading it in the shower while my body soaks in the peppermint goodness.

If you are eco-conscious, vegan, or just looking for a great body wash that will last you FOREVER, I don't think you can go wrong with a Dr. Bronner's purchase.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2012 2:39:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using Dr. Bronner's soap in my homemade cleaning recipes for a long time and always got the unscented version since I didn't like any of the scents for cleaning (that was until they came out with the citrus version). I never used it on myself. But I decided to give it a try since so many people have raved about it. But I decided to get a whole bunch of the little bottles and experiment with which one I liked best. Then I started mixing them. I'm so glad that I did. I came up with a great recipe that works so good for me:
3 tbsp Peppermint
3 tbsp Tea Tree
3 tbsp Eucalyptus
It works so good and doesn't sting as much as the peppermint did on it's own. That being said, it's a very strong, very unisex scent. If someone is looking for a girly, scent, this is what I've come up with:
2 tbsp Rose
2 tbsp Lavender (or Citrus)
2 tbsp Almond
It smells so girly. I've given it as a gift before and the recipients loved it. But I make the first recipe since my husband likes it. I keep in a glass pump bottle that looks super pretty in my shower. Two pumps on my Salux bath cloth is all I need to get foamy from head to toe and leave my shower fresh and clean. I always use body oil afterwards because I have dry skin at the best of times. I know that some people complain about it drying them out, but I can't tell a difference. This is also helping my KP and it's great after a workout. So happy I found my perfect combo!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2011 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Astarael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I gave rave reviews about this at first. My take on it now is less impressed, but I still think highly of it. Initially I thought that my skin's aversion to sulfates was causing my skin to be red and blotchy after showers, and this product alone was fixing it. And the first several times I used this, I had zero redness. Then it started coming back, though still less than with traditional sulfate cleansers. My conclusion is that the redness was from BOTH the cleansers and the hot water. This just took it from a miracle product to a great, still HG product, though. I didn't hate it just because it wasn't a miracle. Why I ultimately stopped using it was I thought my skin smelled funny after I used it. Almost like.. B.O with peppermint on top. My bath pouf took on this smell also. No matter how much I liked this for my skin, I couldn't bear that smell. I have an extremely strong nose and it bothered me to think I was smelling to people like I hadn't showered. I have a suspicion it's the hemp oil in it. I could be wrong but I've since smelled other products with hemp in them and get the same kind of smell. I've used one other Castile soap since then (it's hard to find them without hemp!) which was the Kiss My Face in specifically the Lavender Mandarin variety. Same great effects on my skin, minus the smell, only that one's lather lasts even shorter than Dr. Bronner's does (which is already bad) - you have to re-soap your bath pouf so much your showers take forever and the product is used up in a week.

I've since moved on from Castile soaps. But I still think this is a great soap and love the way it makes my skin feel. I really am sad about the issue with the smell and the lather disappearing.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by Suzy9797

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

impulse buy at target today. i was so excited to try it, i hurried home and used it as shampoo, body wash and face wash.
shampoo.. i should have guessed that it would strip color out of my hair... i just didn't realize how badly! not only was there dye running out in the water, it also stained my towel when i got out. and i only mixed 2 drops with the shampoo and conditioned normally! nothing organic seems to be good for color-treated hair, unfortunately. but i should have expected that.
body wash.. excellent. smelled amazing and really clean. i didn't have any issues with dryness, at least not yet.
face wash.. ahhh heaven. i love tingly feeling face wash. i just put 2 drops on my hand and cleansed. it left my face feeling so clean! i used cetaphyl moisturizer after and thankfully didn't notice and drying.
overall i love it! organic products are always more expensive than processed products, so that's to be expected. perhaps it isn't something to be used everyday, especially for people with dry skin. and remember DO NOT USE IN COLOR-TREATED HAIR! but give it a try for everything else!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2011 4:48:00 AM More reviews by pandora37

I just bought the 18 in 1 hemp and peppermint soap and made it into a shampoo by using 1/3 c soap to 16 ounces brewed green tea and one tblsp olive oil. I put this into a spray bottle because it's a little watery. I shake it up in the shower and spray my head and it lathers really well and smells heavenly, also doubles as a face and body wash. The peppermint and warm water is such a delicious way to wake up. I follow this with a ACV rinse, again, in a seperate little spray bottle, and comb with a wide tooth comb while still in the shower. It makes my hair fluffy soft, clean and light. I've been looking for healthier alternatives to shampoo for a while and am so delighted with this soap. It's really quite cheap because it works best on hair and body when diluted. And I love that it's Vegan.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 7:51:00 AM More reviews by Katzie105

I'm going to review both the liquid soap and the bar soap here. I have wanted to try something natural since my skin is so sensitive and acne prone. I break out horribly on my shoulders and back with harsh, chemical-filled body washes. I went to Vitamin Shoppe and picked up the liquid and bar in peppermint. The smell is wonderful, and fresh. I immediately went home and showered with the liquid. I didnt dilute it, i was skeptical as to how great it would lather since its not a thick liquid by any means. So i squeezed a bit onto my loofah and went at it. Immediately the peppermint oil started to tingle on my skin. I felt like I was standing outside, naked during a blizzard! Boy, will this stuff wake you up! I love how clean it rinsed off, left no residue. For once I truly felt clean and not coated in chemicals. The smell it leaves on your skin is light, and delicious. My boyfriend couldnt stop telling me how good I smelled. The next day however I woke up with a gigantic, infected, red, painful acne on my shoulder. It absolutely had to have been the wash b/c I used nothing else and I don't get large acne, rather clusters of small whiteheads. It was probably due to the extreme concentration. The next few showers I took, i used the bar. There is no need to dilute with the bar. I lathered up my loofah and had a party in the shower. Absolutely amazing. Luxurious, thick rich lather, cooling peppermint tingle, left my skin smooth, and soft. I kept lathering the loofah when it rinsed clean because I didnt want to get out! Have used this on my face as well. I had three acne on my chin and the one monster on my shoulder. After 2 days all 4 are noticeably smaller, flat, dried out. I know this bar will be miraculous for my sensitive shoulders and back. I'm so excited! Its so cheap too. Im going to go back and eventually try the almond and tea tree and lavender.

***EDIT*** I'm taking a lippy off because after a week and a half of using the peppermint bar for facial soap, it dried my skin out HORRIBLY. It's still a great product for body wash, I've had no problems there, but it's just far too stripping for the face. I have flakes and peeling EVERYWHERE. My face is so tight. I actually slept with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil slathered on my face last night to give it a deep down moisturizing treatment. I was using the bar and then following up with moisturizer but the bar is stronger than any lotion. Perhaps this is OK if you only use it once a week or so for a deep clean, but for everyday use? Absolutely not.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2011 5:23:00 AM More reviews by 777designz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

Like several others have mentioned, this soap is very drying. Because of that I can't use it on my face or hair. It leaves my hair a tangled mess and my scalp dry. My face started flaking and peeling after a couple uses, and the peppermint bothers my eyes (and yes, I don't use it near my eyes and I keep them closed). I even find it too drying on my body most of the year.

So why would I buy this again? During the summer when my skin is oilier it doesn't bother me. In fact it being drying helps keep me feeling comfortable in the hot weather. But the main reason I like it is the peppermint feels so cooling and refreshing during a hot summer day. I haven't found any mint soap that has such a strong cooling sensation. It also feels amazing during a foot soak for tired aching feet.

If you have dry or sensitive skin I would recommend avoiding it. Those wth oily skin should have no problem using this. For the rest of us with "normal" skin I'd say if you get this just don't use it when your skin is dry and be sure to dilute it like they recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2011 2:09:00 AM More reviews by luxybon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This soap is very stripping. I do NOT recommend using this on the face, body, or hair, as it will dramatically dry skin and hair out. Also, it will wash off any fake tan you have, if any.

I give this a 2 rating because I do like the feel of it on my scalp. I have seborrheic dermatitis and peppermint always feels wonderful on my itchy scalp. Since the peppermint is very potent in this soap, I would only recommend it for the occasional scalp treatment (with an intensive moisturizing treatment afterward) and for feet. I also like that it is an affordable, all-natural product that is available to everyone.

I wouldn't buy this product again. Peppermint essential oil lasts longer and is just as effective if you are looking for that tingling, minty sensation in your shampoo or foot scrub, and it's also not as drying.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

A 2 oz. bottle of this was my Target impulse buy one afternoon. I have tried the unscented and the lavender versions of these soaps, so I figure I couldn't lose since I already like them. I was not disappointed with the peppermint version. In this seemingly endless Texas summer, using this as shower gel has been heavenly. The peppermint zing is so refreshing, it literally makes you shiver when using it. Do not use this, like others have said, on any delicate areas for just this reason. I have also used it successfully as a face wash and hand soap (literally two drops will do you for either use). It has not dried my skin out or left a film in any way, and it washes base makeup clean away (I would not advise this for use around the eyes though). I am seriously thinking of using this as my summer cleanser. It's economical and performs really well. Wonderful.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2011 8:48:00 AM More reviews by Michelle219

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have tried this as a body wash, toothpaste, and laundry detergent but now I use it as a shampoo only. It does strip and tangle my hair but my hair oil and detangling conditioner take care of those problems. I love this because it thoroughly cleans my hair and scalpel, which stay so fresh between washes.