September 2, 2014 | 1986 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/16/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by pkkatalina

I agree with others - this stuff smells like vomit. I left it on for a couple of minutes and couldn't wait to wash it out. Then, upon reading the packet of deep condish that came with it, the 5th ingredient on that label is "mineral oil." Are you kidding me?

I'll save my money for a higher end product that won't stink up my bathroom and hair. Malibu Wellness has a protein builder packet that is awesome; I'll be going back to that product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2012 6:10:00 PM More reviews by jstrazishar

My hair is curly and very breakage-prone. On top of that, I dye my hair about once every three months and heat style a few times a week. After reading all of the amazing reviews here on MUA, I decided to give it a try.

So I went down to Sally's and bought the one-use envelopes for under $4 with my Beauty Club card. I figured that even if it didn't work, at least I didn't have to throw away my money buying the bigger bottles right away.

I put aside a day when I'd have plenty of time to do it without feeling rushed. I got in the shower and shampooed my hair twice with a clarifying shampoo--I really wanted to be sure I was getting any product build-up out. Then I towel-blotted my hair and set my tools out: wide-toothed comb, hair dryer with a concentrator on it, and a rag to wipe the nastiness off my hands.

I applied the treatment mostly at the top of my head and combed it downward, and this eliminated any problem with dripping. If you do it this way just make sure you're distributing the product all the way down to your ends. Based on the reviews I read, I was expecting the worst smell in the world, but it didn't smell bad to me at all really. It didn't smell GOOD, but not bad either, and the smell dissipated quickly.

Then came the fun part--getting to blow dry my hair for an hour. I dried until it was completely dry, then I turned the faucet on to fill up my bathtub and continued to dry it more until my tub filled up (just to be sure it was totally dry).

I did what a couple other reviewers did and soaked my head in the tub for a few minutes, and I kind of started gently swishing my hair back and forth in the water after a couple of minutes to start rinsing away some of the product. After leaving my hair in the tub for about 5 minutes I stood up and rinsed it the rest of the way under the shower.

My hair felt gross and straw-like immediately after rinsing it out--DON'T WORRY! Once you apply the conditioner this feeling will go away. I left the moisturizer on while I washed and shaved (about 15 minutes) then rinsed it out. At that point I could already tell a huge difference in the feeling of my hair. It felt so extremely smooth and healthy.

I scrunched a little product into my hair (as I usually do when wearing it naturally) and let it air-dry. WOW! My curls were defined, shiny, and bouncy. Not only does my hair look amazing, but it feels great, too!

I will also say that my hair is a lot easier to straighten and curl (when I want more perfect curls than my natural ones). I did the treatment exactly a week ago and my hair still looks and feels amazing. Will definitely do another treatment in about two months!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Pcrate

This product is awesome... I immediately see a difference when I treat my hair with it - I have been experimenting with different conditioner treatments and sleeping in them for "operation- healthy hair & operation hair-grow-back" and this is the foundation of all those "operation treatments" I use... My hair has the bouncing and behaving silk effect when I use this- however you have to be careful not to use it too often... I try to use it once every 2-3 months if I being disciplined...
Smell - death
Potency- intense
Results - Awesome -

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Once you get a whiff of this stuff, you know it has to work. Nothing that smells this bad could stay on the market unless it actually produced results. I never even knew this product existed until I started visiting MUA on a regular basis. It's only sold in beauty supply stores. It's an intense protein treatment for fried, damaged hair. I have used this twice on my poor, crappy, over-processed hair and I plan on using it again soon. I feel it has improved the strength and quality of my hair overall. I notice that I get a LOT less hair in my comb after I comb it after showering. I used to think that I was just shedding a lot of hair... now I think I was experiencing a lot of breakage, and Aphogee treatments seem to have helped that. Though this doesn't work absolute miracles, it can make damaged hair look and feel a lot better. It's definetely worth putting up with the smell and the time (you have to blowdry your hair rockhard after applying) it takes to do it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Ponchy

Wow! All the other reviewers who raved about this product were so right. I don't even recognize my own hair today after using this for the first time ever. Soft, smooth-looking hair. I didn't realize what a damaged mess my fine, thin hair was from over-bleached hi-lights. I have found a new hairdresser and a new HG hair product: Aphogee Two-Step. **Thanks to the Hair Board for recommending this product as well as all those experts who wrote detailed reviews of it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by burs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this 2 nights ago for the first time, and yesterday I had 3 people comment on how great my hair looked. I followed all the other reviewers instructions (applied it over a bowl to catch the drips & reuse em and dunked my head in bathwater to rinse it out) & used the Balancing Moisturizer as the 2nd step. I'd been hesitant to use it in the past because it seemed pretty extreme, but now I'm growing out my hair to donate, and it really needed it. FYI it doesn't do anything for split ends, so if that's your problem, it won't help. Just get a trim!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2012 7:35:00 PM More reviews by som2224

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow...is this stuff amazing! I had to write a review because I am sooo happy with the results. Last year I bleached my entire head and hated it, so I then proceeded to dye it over and over. I have been dying my hair every month at least and constantly adding new highlights since the dreaded bleach job...lots of hair abuse! My hair is chin length and fine. I want to grow it out so I thought I would give aphogee a try based upon the reviews and I am so happy I did. My hair is super shiny, full of body, and looks so pretty. I will definitely be using aphogee every 6 weeks to help with the health and look of my hair and to help grow it out as fast as possible. Dont be afraid to try this stuff...it works! Follow the directions to a T, and you will have no problems. I found the odor to be somewhat pleasant and not bad at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by heathermarchelle

I don't usually write reviews on products, but felt the need to do so on this one. I have never used a product that so dramatically accomplished what it said it would. My hair was very, very long and I had it colored. The bleach highlights were left on too long and it was over-processed. Then I had the Perfection by Pravana Smoothing treatment professionally done and my hair felt like straw. It was somehow straight and limp and yet hard and straw-like. I had several strands that were z-shaped all the way down and no amount of conditioner or leave in products or oils would make it soft or unnoticeable. I had already cut 6" from the back and the stylist RAZOR cut my bangs and side layers, making those ends look even frizzier than and just plain horrible. I bought this praying for at least minor improvement, but I was SHOCKED to find that it returned my hair to an even better state than it had been before the over-processing! As soon as I dried my hair, it looked and felt like silk and there was no evidence of fried strands. Even the razored edges of my bangs and side layers looked soft and smooth. I cannot recommend this product enough. I agree that the protein treatment (step 1) is very watery and would be better in a spray bottle, but other than that, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this product. I love it!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Since other reviewers have said just about everything there is to say about this product, I'll keep it short and sweet and just throw in my two cents. Aphogee Two-Step Treatment is the only hair product I've ever used that actually did what it said it was going to do and more.

It doesn't smell as bad as some people make it out to be, in my opinion. It's not that great, but it dissipates as it dries, and it's worth it for the results. Personally I'm more concerned about the smell of the Aphogee conditioner provided as the second step of the process. I think THAT stuff is pretty bad, like old perfume or urinal cakes, and unlike the Step 1 product, that smell stays with me until the next time I shower and shampoo. So now I just use my own deep conditioner, and it works just fine.

Bottom line: I recommend this product to anyone looking for an at-home protein treatment that works.

UPDATE (01-August-2011): I felt it was worth adding, especially for those who say that this product did nothing, that I've now used this product exactly 3 times, waiting the recommended 6 weeks in between uses, and every time I did it, my hair came out better and better. It's so much stronger now. I have no split ends, even without having had a trim in months. So for me, the results have been cumulative. I do not notice immediate improvement, in the sense that my hair feels super silky or shiny right after use, but I also shampoo it out before using the conditioner, which is not recommended; you are supposed to simply rinse it out and apply the conditioner for the best results, and then shampoo it a day later. It still works though. And after this last time doing the treatment, about a week ago, even my mom noticed how much healthier my hair is looking. I honestly think I'll keep using this forever, because it seems to build my hair up to a state at which it resists damage of all kinds.

UPDATE (27-January-2012): I thought it worth the additional update to mention that I have found another incredible use for this product. I've recently started perming my hair kinky, after years of having boring straight, flat hair, and I've found that using the ApHogee treatment about 4 to 5 days after having gotten a perm causes my hair to return to almost the exact same condition it was in before the perm. The difference is both obvious and immediate. For the first few days after a perm, before I have a change to use the ApHogee Two Step Treatment, my hair has that roughed up, just permed feel to it, but the minute I use ApHogee that feeling goes away and my hair feels soft and beautiful again. It's really amazing the results this product can give when you truly have need of it. I should mention I always wait at least 4 days after a perm to use it, and also make sure I use a spray bottle to coat my hair and scrunch it through, rather than comb it, as I don't want to disturb the curl pattern. I then proceed as usual, and it gives me my old hair back, except curly now, obviously. I knew ApHogee was great before, but now I've really seen it in action and I'm even more impressed. I'm keeping my rating at 5 stars, of course, but if I could I'd give this 10. This is something I believe anyone who chemically processes their hair in any way ought to have in their arsenal.

Lastly, I noticed that the company has changed their ingredients recently; this treatment used to contain animal protein as the active reconstructing ingredient; now it appears they have decided to substitute that with a vegetable protein. I noticed that a couple months ago and I was concerned that it would change the action of the product, however, I can't see that this change has had any negative effect. On the contrary, I've noticed this product working better than before lately, although that could of course be because my hair now needs it more.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2011 3:43:00 PM More reviews by Nikki16519

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I recently had my deep brown colored hair lightened 7 levels in a head full o highlights. I needed a toning, and I love the color. Almost back to my "natural" days of highlights on my natural ash blonde color. However, for the first time in my life my hair was truly damaged. It was breaking off. So scary. Having lots of girlfriends who bleach and color the bejesus out of their hair and know their stuff, I was familiar with this treatment and knew I should bite the bullet and deal with the stink and do it. I got the small bottle and the recommended hair balancing moisturizer. I did a lot of research and I ended up swirling my hair on my head and drying it for about 45 minutes with a 10 minute break in the middle. I should have left my hair down and divided it down the middle of my head, because the hair in the swirl never got totally rock solid like the rest of my hair. Most people say that the longer you leave this in, the better. I just couldn't do it anymore because my head was itching so badly and I wanted the smell out of my life. I let warm water run over it for about 3 minutes, and the treatment began to soften to the point that I could manipulate my hair around to get it out. I rinsed very well because any residue could leave the hair very hard and lead to more damage. The moisturizer smells like cheap cologne, but it was a welcome change after the smell of the treatment. It smells like week old ripened BO. So bad. Anyway, the balancing moisturizer didn't feel like it was hydrating my hair very well, so I threw in a generous glob of aussie 3 minute miracle and left that on for 20 minutes. I blasted it with the dryer for about 10. My hair came out very nice and silky. Like my hair was before the bleach invasion. No more random broken blonde strands cracking onto my keyboard or coat. Less hair loss when I shampoo it as well. This treatment did exactly what I wanted it to do. I will probably use the 2 or 3 times a year, as I don't think my hair needs this intense of a protein treatment every 6 weeks. Great stuff, just make sure you do your research before attempting this process and that your hair really needs this much protein.