August 30, 2014 | 1158 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Kittens88

A couple of months ago I decided to colour my hair a really bright reddy-Auburn. I loved the colour but as we all know red is notorious for not staying vibrant for very long. Eventually it faded into a dark auburn. It was still a very nice colour for me, but I needed a change.

In previous years I had used L'Oreals Professional Secrets Haircolour Remover. It destroyed my hair. I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair, and it killed my ends and left my hair super dry. I knew that I had to strip my hair in order to go for another colour, but I did not want to go through the agony that L'Oreal caused me.

Enter Colour Oops.

I wanted to take my hair to a very bright red, but where my hair was at, it was going to need some work. I found Colour Oops at my local Thrifty Drugs. It was $10.25CDN a box, which to me isn't bad seeing as the L'Oreal one was $15.99CDN.

I did my research and saw very favourable reviews for Colour Oops. It had no bleach or amonnia so I figured how bad can it be?

Well let me start off my saying that yes...The smell is pretty nasty. At first I didn't notice it, but don't worry...it comes. be forewarned that it does linger in your hair for a couple of days.

The process was very simple. Just like mixing hair colour, you mix in a bottle of the remover into a developer type liqued. It is very runny and tends to get everywhere, so please use caution!

It did not take long to cover my hair. Like I said previously I have thick, coarse, long and wavy hair, so I needed two boxes.

I waited half and hour for this stuff to set in and then got ready to rinse. Now at first I was discouraged as I didn't see much lightning to my hair before I started rinising, but trust me, it starts as soon as the water hit your hair.

I rinised for 5min and then shampooed my hair. I then began the long task of sitting in the shower for 25 minutes. I rinised and rinised and rinised. I began to panic as my hair was starting to feel like garabge...

After all was said and done I got out of the shower and took a look at my new hair. I went from dark auburn, to a very light honey brown. I was quite surprised! I threw some deep conditioning treatment in and waited an hour or so and rinised again.

I decided to wait 24 hours before I put new colour on, but in those 24 hours my hair felt no different then before I had the colour removed. I think the deep conditioning treatment helped a lot.

I put my new colour on the next night and found it set perfectly. My hair still feels fabulous and healthy. I would highly recommend this product to anyone who wants a new haircolour but has some work to do before they can achieve it. I will continue to use Colour Oops and I will tell everyone about it! Just be sure to read the instructions throughly and have some deep conditioner on hand.

You will NOT be dissapointed!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2012 6:58:00 PM More reviews by vivalaslights

Two years ago I colored my hair apple red and well, when I was in school I was told to remove it, and I spent about $300 in a salon to get it bleach and colored brown and just to fade to green. Flash to now, for my graduation I colored it bright red again but then I noticed I wouldn't be able to get a job with this color, lucky, I went to Wal-Mart first because I was planning to buy a color I wanted then go to Sally's for beach but I saw this and was like a 'what the heck I'll try it' mood. Red is a extremely hard color to remove, red and black. And I'm not kidding you it stripped everything and went to blonde, and since you can color right after your done, I just added a light brown but it was perfect, and to the people that say it didn't do any, you get to make sure you get the EXTRA strength, a mistake my sister did, she got the normal for her black hair and only her roots changed color. The only problem, obviously is the smell.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by maekay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Yes, I would buy this product again but I hope I never have to, lol!

Okay, so to pinch pennies I've been dyeing at home since September of this year. Gradually I've worked up to just doing permanent dyes and I used to really like Feria. I tried the John Frieda foam dye per some friends' rec's and I do like how shiny and healthy my hair looks after but I miss the mini-highlights that Feria lifts. So I've bounced back and forth between the two for a while. Recently, I tried Lightest Cool Almond Brown by John Frieda because I really wasn't liking how drying Feria was becoming to my hair. My thinking behind a cool-toned brunette was: since I have more cool-toned pale coloring the cool-toned brunette would be flattering: um, that's a big NOPE. Most of my co-workers liked it but I felt like it looked "off". The color was rich and pretty, I just think I need a warmer color to balance out my cool-toned skin. A week after I dyed I couldn't wait anymore and decided to strip it out for the following week each day with my trusty Suave Clarifying shampoo. After a full week of daily use of clarifying shampoo followed by Neutrogena Triple Moisture hair mask to replenish moisture lost---I felt I had stripped out enough of the John Frieda color base for Feria to successfully eat through the rest of the way. So, the following Monday I bust out Feria in Havana Brown (which I had used before and loved the color result---medium brown with golden mini-highlights) What do I get?: Weird, dull auburn-brunette and lifeless texture. YUCK! Co-workers, "Did you dye your hair? It looks darker...no dull, kind of "off". I liked it before." Okay, I'm not going back to Cool Almond Brunette though...What's a girl to do?

Color Oops to the rescue! ---I have heard tales of this product's existence but never needed to use it until now--- After work last night I went straight to the 24hr CVS got a box and also picked up Light Golden Brown by John Frieda, because, let's face it: Feria is bad news for my hair now. Not to mention how drying the Color Oops will be then add a drying hair dye right after? No way!

Home! To the Bat Cave! I mean, the bathroom! Must repair color and health of hair! Step 1: Mix up Color Oops, douse hair. Oh my, does this product stink so chemical-awful! But I guess it's got a tough, ugly job to do so it can't smell too pretty, right? Step 2: Shampoo out and then rinse for an ETERNITY. 20 minutes doesn't seem so bad unless all you're doing is standing there with water pouring over your head at 1 in the morning. I brought my nook in a ziplock into the shower with me to pass the time reading and keep an eye on the clock. Step 3: Shampoo again, then rinse another 5 minutes. Finally, done---

Wow, my hair is light strawberry blonde/orange/sad brunette and PARCHED! But, Feria is no more. Victory! My poor hair! I coated it in Neutrogena Triple Moisture hair mask and left it in for a good 20 minutes. Then rinsed and then finally to bed! Longest shower of my life.

Woke up today and did another 20 minute+ session with the hair mask conditioner just to fortify it before dyeing today, which I did at 4:00pm. I have spent a solid 48hrs on my hair this week and it's only Wednesday. The color came out lovely but super dark. Color Oops warns you to buy a shade lighter than you would typically and honestly, I planned to anyway because the John Frieda dyes, albeit fabulous in shine and color payout, always start out so dark. But it came out a deep-caramel brunette with a little red still pulling through on the color overall. Whatever, though! It's SO much better than it was yesterday. What an ordeal! But thank you, Color Oops!

My advice: invest in a tub of conditioning hair mask---YOU WILL NEED IT. I am sitting here doing another round of it right now because my hair is still looking a little dry and traumatized on the ends. But at least it will be ever so much prettier tomorrow :) Happy Ending, ---roll credits---

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by smurfettesg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i followed the directions on this to a t, and it was very long waiting in the shower for this to rinse, i really dont think i would ever do it again, but it did remove some of my hair color, not all of it, i was going from dyed jet black to my natural light brown color, i ended up just free handing some highlights to blend, next time if i ever want to do this again i will prob just bleach

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by AshleyNicholeR

I was really scared of using this product, but now that I used it I am VERY pleased with the outcome, it was much better than I expected. I have a light ash blonde hair color and I put BRIGHT red in the very front. After trying to find a way to rid of the red without going to the salon and spending a lot of money I decided t take a chance on this product. My hair is now for the most part back to its blond I ended up with only two light pink streaks which I can easily rid of. I'm not even going to dye over it. My hair isn't damaged. The smell isn't that great, but I think it was well worth it. The 20 minutes of rinsing took FOREVER, but again well worth it. I'm very pleased with this product considering I thought I was going to have to bleach my hair, this was a great alternative!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by nanphil70

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing!I would recommend it to my friends.I went from an ugly dark red brown back to my real color- light golden blonde with a hint of red.I am very pleased.God doesn't make mistakes.It is best to keep within a shade or two of your natural color.I had colored my hair with a dark golden blonde which looked great on the box.Big mistake!!! it was way too dark and did not look natural.Ifollowed the directions for Color Oops to the letter.It was tedious rinsing for so long,but well worth the effort.The smell was not that bad to me.I do not need to recolor.I am happy with my results.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Kabuk1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

*sigh* I don't know why I keep wasting money on this crap. Never again. I've tried it on 3 separate occasions with 3 different colors of hair, and it never works. Oh, it'll lighten it up initially, but as soon as you try to dye it another color you're right back to where you started with the color you didn't want! I've followed the directions each time, rinsed & scrubbed until my scalp & hands were RAW, yet the second a drop of developer touches it, I'm right back to my original color. This stuff simply DOES. NOT. WORK.

Last night's fiasco was the most infuriating though. I was trying to remove a *single application* of dark brown dye- mind you, NOT years worth of dye, but ONE single application- and it seemed to work at first. I rinsed/shampooed as instructed, and proceeded to re-tint my now-orange hair a with a light brown semi-perm dye. To my horror, within minutes of applying the dye, my hair was JET BLACK. I used LIGHT BROWN dye and it came out even darker than the original dye that I tried to remove!!! I don't even... SO PISSED.

Bottom line- this may work for some people, but it has NEVER worked for me. Maybe it's just my hair, but I always end up back in the store buying bleach in the end. I've just eaten the cost with this product in the past, but this time I've written to the company to get my money back. I had to use 2 boxes due to my long hair, and I basically just flushed $20 down the damn toilet.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 12:31:00 AM More reviews by whitneyjw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow, I'm impressed. I have been dying my hair since I was 15, so for the last 8 years. My hair is naturally a light, mousy, ugly brown. I have dyed it just about every color. I have used box colors and have had my hair colored at salons. Most recently I had it light brown with blonde hilights for my wedding. When those hilights were grown out I dyed my hair all medium brown. Then in February I dyed it a medium "mohogany brown" at a salon. What I did not know it that this "brown" had a ton of red in it. The results were like bright red. I was hoping that it would just fade out from washing it a lot with really hot water but what ended up happening is the red tint faded to a lighter red, but would not go away and dying over it with an ash brown color did not work. My roots were light brown and then two inches down from the roots was still very red tinted. I had never used color oops before but had seen it at drugstores several times and considered it but was never brave enough. I read a ton of reviews and decided to try it. It worked very well. It got like 90% of the red tint out of my hair. I think if I would have done it sooner and not waited so long and tried to dye over it, it would have gotten all the red out. I also probably could have used color oops a second time because it didn't damage my hair. My hair felt a little dry but I put a TON of organix awapuhi ginger recovery mask on my hair after the 20 minute rinse and I left the conditioner on for 20 minutes then rinsed, now my hair feels really soft. The color result after I rinsed out the color oops and blow dried was like a really light caramelly brown. It was pretty nice looking and I could have just left it, but it was a tiny bit too brassy for my taste. (I actually expected it would be a lot more brassy, so I was pleasantly surprised) I dyed it again right away with Nice 'N Easy foam color in dark blonde. I wanted light brown so I picked one shade lighter because I read that the hair is porous after using color oops so it will take in the color faster and go darker and ashier. I left the dye on for 10 minutes and thought it looked like a nice light brown so I washed it out and it looks great! There is virtually no red tint to my hair now and it looks like my natural color only better! I wish I would have found color oops sooner because I could have saved a lot of money from bleaching my hair at the salon, also could have saved my hair from a lot of damage I did to it in the past. The results were better than I ever got with bleaching. I will definitely buy color oops again if I ever have another hair color blunder.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 5:07:00 PM More reviews by heathgxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AMAZING PRODUCT. i have strawberry blonde hair natural, i had highlights done at a salon, then i died my hair brown, and then bright red. ONE time using this product, my hair is at my natural strawberry blonde and feels great, not damaged at all. the smell is no different than any other hair color product. i will be reccomending this product to everyone!!! has completely blown my expectations out of the water

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2012 1:51:00 PM More reviews by wonderstruck91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

My hair is naturally medium blonde & I have been on a kick dying it darker to medium brown for a few months now. With the summer sun and swimming, it's become a lot harder to keep up with, so I wanted to return somewhere closer to my natural blonde color. I decided to use color oops because it seemed less damaging than bleach.

Because I had dyed my hair so many times, I expected the color to come out orangey/brassy and it did. The color is not as light as my natural color, and is drastically more golden, but it is at a point light enough now that I can recolor.

Will update after I recolor in a few days :) Giving my hair a bit of a rest before dying again.

Edit: took the plunge and recolored my hair about 12 hours after application. Used a neutral color filler prior to coloring. Used a level 8 beige blonde because I wanted a level 7 ashy/neutral (close to my natural shade). It came out exactly how I had hoped! So happy with this experience!