August 27, 2014 | 1850 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 11:29:00 PM More reviews by tinytapa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product after a trip to the Clinique counter in search of a primer. The lady convinced me that this was the way to go, though I had always thought this product serves more of a sun protection function than a makeup primer one. However, the label does claim that it can be used as a primer, so I thought, "Meh, what the heck?!"

Sadly, I'm not terrible happy with it. Firstly, it always seems to separate in the tube, despite an attempt to shake it around before squeezing product out. I end up having to mix it up on the back of my hand before applying it go my face. I also find that it has to be applied to VERY dry skin, or else it rolls up into little balls. So, I moisturize at least an hour before I intend to use it - not very good for an on-the-go gal. I also find it to be a total nightmare under makeup - again, I have to let it really absorb before putting anything over it (another 30-60 minutes) or else it balls up again. I find it too greasy under makeup, and my foundation ends up sliding around my face (I don't have this problem with other primers). I'm a light to medium coverage girl, but I find that this product makes my foundation look really heavy, as well. It increase the stay power of my makeup, but not significantly, and it does nothing to control the oils in my t-zone.

As a sunscreen, it's fine, I guess. I've tried better ones, to be honest, and it annoys me that I have to moisturize so far in advance of using it. The tint is nice on my skin, and gives me a more even complexion, when worn without foundation on top of it. It is effective at keeping me from being burned (I live in a very sunny climate, so this a big plus).

However, I won't repurchase it - in my humble opinion, there are better face sunscreens out there and, as a primer, this was an epic fail for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 3:33:00 AM More reviews by Laski

Almost ideal for sunprotection during the week in summer. On the beach, or being outside all day, I would use a "real" sunscreen with a higher SPF of course. But Iīm really satisfied with this product: With the tint it has, it evens out my reddish blotches, after being absorbed, I donīt feel it anymore on my skin, and on beautypedia it was even recommended as a good option for those with rosacea, like me. It doesnīt contain fragrance, which is a big plus in facial products for me. I apply it over my daily moisturizer, because I donīt find it moisturizing at all, I would even say that it may be a bit mattifying, if not drying. For me: perfect for summer - but in winter, I think I would switch to something richer.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by greenyshell

i loveee this ss. Since my skin could not stand chemical ss, this physical ss does not break me out. No strong fragrance makes u feel like you are not putting any harsh chemical on your face. I might repurchase but want to try out any other better ss out there

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2011 3:35:00 PM More reviews by Fatang

I tried this out as a sample, and I'm glad I did. I really liked that this was a tinted product with sunscreen, to cut down on the amount of stuff to layer on my face. However, if you have any dry patches I'd recommend moisturizing before application. This went on like a dream over every part of my face except for my very oily nose.Half an hour post-application, the pigment had moved around and I was shiny as can be, regardless of blotting. I tried it 3 days consecutively and on the 3rd, my nose finally freaked out and about 6 small pimples blossomed on it. This product is probably best suited for people who don't have an issue with oil or breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2011 7:22:00 PM More reviews by leyan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Definitely the best physical sunscreen loaded with antioxidant and fragrance free.
Doesn't cost me more acne or irritation, unlike chemical sunscreens.
I'm phototype 3, so this makes me to look a bit whiter, but it's only for maximum 30mins, then it blends in.
It's light, and non-oily/non-greasy.
Plus you can use it around eye area.

It sticks to your face and doesn't seem to be so water vulnerable(like sweating)
There are two probs, first it's hard to blend on your face, second, it's physical sunscreen, so you have to use cleanser before facial wash.
I'm a guy, so I don't wear make up or use cleanser, but the SA told me to use it to remove physical sunscreen.
Oh well, all and all the pros outweight the cons, so happy, so going to buy again :p

Tips:
By the way, sometimes the ingredients in the tube don't blend in, a bit of shakey shakey will blend them just right.
If I didn't shake it, it'd become too "watery", after a good shake, it turned into a thick solution and easier to apply.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by ithinkuracontra

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is overall a pretty good sunscreen. Reading the description, it says that it acts as an "invisible" primer but I could have sworn that it was tinted when putting it on, because it evens out my skintone and makes my skin look a lot nicer. People who have naturally great skin may feel like they won't even need a foundation on top. But after I finish up CityBlock I'm going to try to find something with a higher spf for this coming summer.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 5:29:00 AM More reviews by DarkestStar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Takes a bit of effort blending into my chocolate complexion but other than that it's a decent product. Just take your time working it in to avoid the ghostface look (but I don't apply much as it is). I don't wear foundation that often but it's an excellent primer when I do. Would recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2011 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Armywife3409

The only thing bad about this product is how long I have to wait between my moisturizer and application of city block. If I don't give it ten minutes, it balls up...but with the perfect hue, aptitude as a primer, and no-breakout formula, I will deal with the minor inconvenience!

It makes my makeup last all day long no matter the activity, and leaves a natural Matt finish. I put my other primers away - this is fantastic! I don't leave home without it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by kitkat73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The tint is much too dark for my very fair skin - this would only be truly sheer if it happens to match your skin so be sure to try before you buy. I tried mixing it with a non-tinted physical sunscreen which sort of works but defeats the purpose of an all-in-one spf/tinted moisturizer. The way the product separates is disgusting, and how do you shake the ingredients of a full tube to avoid it? Also, like everything from Clinique that I've tried based on Paula Begoun's recommendations for sensitive skin and often good ratings here on MUA, something in this is irritating to my skin. Might be the rosemary extract, which seems to be in all of them - or any number of other things. Well, Clinique was disastrous for me as a teenager, and it's little better 20 years later. I love the idea of this product, too bad it doesn't translate into practice for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2011 12:46:00 AM More reviews by itscake4me

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I always have this product with me. It is a nice face protector with sunscreen and works as a primer as well. After I wash my face and apply my moisturizer, I apply this allover with my fingers. It evens out my skin tone a bit and provides a great base for any other makeup I apply. I find it really helps make my face makeup lasts. It never settles or separates for me, but I'm young and do not have any fine lines or such for it to settle into. Overall, I love this stuff and will continue to buy.