Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes - Matte Black 0L

3.5

on 3/13/2011 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I was so excited to try this product after reading positive reviews on the internet, and seeing it being raved about on YouTube. Unfortunately, I was totally disappointed when it melted into a horrible smudged up mess within the first hour I had it on. What a let down.

on 3/1/2011 5:23:00 AM

As far as waterlining, this pencil wins hands down. I usually don't like pencil liners because sharpening can be frustrating. But waterlining with gel liner was taking too long in the morning.

I had heard great things about Aqua Eyes and the 24/7 liner but swatching them both at Sephora, I could easily tell 24/7 wasn't at all a contender in staying power. 24/7 is VERY creamy, great for application that doesn't skip or tug the skin but light rubbing took half the color off, whereas intense rubbing of Aquaeyes only irritated my skin but did not noticeably smudge or lighten the line of black. The 0L compared to Zero(black) in 24/7 was almost twice as intense. Zero looked kind of gray next to it. I prefer intense and lasting power. Lining the lids with Aqua eyes is indeed skippy and tuggy but I only use it to waterline, and for that it is smooth enough.

After wearing it all day today, I'm very pleased there was very very little smudging, comparable to my liquid liner. If sharpening doesn't turn out too horrible, I will definitely buy again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Not worth it. This product gave me raccoon eyes in a matter of one hour. I usually stick to a drugstore brand, but I ditched it to see if this would be any better. I wasted 17dollars. It's no better than drugstore brands. I quickly went back to my maybelline liquid eyeliner. It's better, more affordable and doesn't give me raccoon eye. I'd say don't buy it. Or at least try it first..because makeup can vary from person to person.

on 2/23/2011 10:14:00 AM

First of all, Make Up Forever made a pencil that you can only sharpen with their sharpener. It is too big for a normal-sized sharpener, FYI. So, when you need to sharpen your eyeliner and try to put it in your sharpener, it doesn't fit (at which point you have to purchase their sharpener). They really didn't win any goodwill from me for this.

The pencil does have staying power; once it dries, the line doesn't budge. But, it's really hard to sharpen it (yes, I did break down and bought the silly MUF sharpener) to the sharp tip that is needed to get a good line. I've never gotten the perfect tip on it since it was brand new, so the lines always end up messy looking. It's now in the bottom of my makeup drawer.

on 2/22/2011 10:49:00 AM

I use this only for my waterline. It will NOT smudge if I properly primed my lids and put a light wash of eyeshadow on. Stays the whole day...but without priming the lid first it smudges a bit on me after awhile.

Edit: It's a nightmare to sharpen though =(

This liner was kind of "meh" for me. I don't frequently use pencil liners-- I'm more of a liquid liner girl-- but this came in the Rock Forever set from Sephora so I thought I would give it a whirl.

The price of the pencil itself is up there... somewhere around $18 to $20. A little pricey for the pencil alone, but like I said, this came in a set so it wasn't bad. For that much money, I thought the packaging would be a little nicer, but no dice. Frankly, the packaging sucked. For some reason, the cap would not come off, even when my brother tried pulling it off. In the end, I had to get my dad to open it, which unfortunately ended with the tip of the liner being broken off. Points off on that one.

As far as the actual liner, it's all right. It does wear for longer on my waterline than other pencils, and it has a good color pay-off. I don't have to keep lining, which is nice when you're working on your waterline and your eyeball hates that you're pulling your lids open. However, when I actually tried wearing this on my lids, it was about the same as any drug-store liner I've used. In other words, it dragged and skipped, no matter how sharp the point was, or what technique I tried to use. Not really satisfied with that aspect.

All in all, I don't think this product really lives up to the hype. For what you'll pay for a single liner, it's mediocre. Not terrible, but not worth the price.

on 2/3/2011 2:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ouch! This pencil is so hard that it drags and actually feels like it's scratching my eyelid! It barely deposits any color either! I've had better luck with super cheap drugstore brands!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Does not last on water line or any other line for that matter.

Fades on top. Goes to the corners on water line.

I do not understand the hype?

on 1/19/2011 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

The HG of all HGs! I've been using this product for quite a few years now and I will not use any other eyeliner pencil out there. I've been spoiled by MUFE, nothing else compares when it comes to eyeliner. I've strayed a time or two due to hype (usually MAC) and have always been disappointed. It lasts all day, rain (I live in Amsterdam and travel 2x per day by bicycle... it's always raining or misty), snow, heat, humidity... all good! If I use the NARS smudge brush with a tiny bit of eyeshadow, I can smudge these pencils out nicely as well. Tightlines like a dream, a line is a line and stays all day.

The only flaw with this product is that if it gets directly in the corner of my eye, it will get smudgy, but ALL pencils (and liquids) do that on me anyway so it's nothing exclusive to this particular product.

I've had the green one for I don't even know how many years, but it's quite a few and I still have 3" or so left. I own so many of these pencils that it's ridiculous, but so worth it!

on 1/14/2011 12:46:00 AM

I wanted to try out a different kind of eyeliner so I gave this a shot. I have some mixed feelings about this eyeliner...I love the vivid color it gives, I love that I can smudge it easily, but I feel like alone it doesn't stay long. I'd say at the end of my 8 hour work day, only used to line my lids, it still smudges a little. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this eyeliner is great for that smudge look and won't budge after you smudge it, but will smudge if you just use it just to line. Is that a fair review? I probably won't repurchase once I'm out.