I see some major misconceptions in reviews. So, I'll address those one at a time.
1. People mention they "normally have dry lips or lines" and how this makes that more obvious. Well, this is the main issue with stains. I make sure my lips and my clients lips are exfoliated and a healing lip balm is used after. You can make a lip scrub with sugar and honey. Our lips do not have natural oil glands, so moisture has to come from products.
2. "The balm breaks off." This has only happened to me once, and it was my fault. I was opening the package and the cap sliced it off. My other two have never budged or melted. Yes, it could be better if it retracted, but that would probably effect the design and stain compartment.
3. "It dries out." I've never had one to dry, and I've had mine for over six months.
4. Comparing them to other balms.- I've used everything cheap and high end. Just to name a few... Benetint, Josie Maran, Smashbox, NYC, Maybelline, Cover Girl, Mark, MAC, and Palladio. Etc. The worst was NYC's 16 Hour- which came off immediately with any moisture. It was recently in Allure or some magazine. Are they kidding? I think they choose random products to feature. I've found Just Bitten works on the majority of people.
5. The shade doesn't show up like you thought it would. - This is because the skin on your lips is different. Your natural lip tone will enhance it, and in most cases, it adjusts perfectly for your skin tone.
6. Can't quite figure out how to apply it. - If you want a more sheer application, turn it on it's side to apply. The stain comes from the tip of the marker. You can also line the shape of your lips and fill them in.
7. You can use these alone or as a lipstick base. I know other artists who do the same thing, and it looks flawless under lipstick. You don't get the layer like using lip liner under lipstick- which looks thick.
Ever buy a beauty product and decided you hated the darn thing after you first use it? That was exactly my experience with this lip stain. As soon as I got the balm side open, the balm stick immediately broke at the base because it was stuck to the top. Here I'm thinking, 'okay, maybe someone tampered with the thing', while attempting to retract the balm into the container, but alas, it is NOT a retractable balm! If you have just one moment of carelessness when using this balm you're bound to break it clean off. As for the stain itself, Desire disappointed me because it actually stained my lips bright red as opposed to the more subtle pink color I was anticipating. This was my mistake, I suppose, as I have little experience with lip stains. Even so, I think the packaging would have been the stain's saving grace if it weren't so flawed, given it's price.
This lipstain is ok. I bought Desire. I love the color and the felt pen. But it seems to have dried up on me after only 2 weeks and the balm broke off. I really wanted to like this but it just doesn't cut even at this price point.
I LOVE this lipstain. I prefer a more matte look and so I have tried so many different lip products. This stain is better than Tarte and Sephora brand stains. It is not drying AT ALL. I have very dry lips and usually hate the way stain feels but this felt fine even without putting the balm on. The balm end of the stick is annoying because I have to be careful to not break it but I had read reviews about it before purchasing it so I knew what to expect. The color (I bought Desire) is vivid and rich and builds with application. I really love this product!
I really love the color I have. I purchased Beloved today & had a 2.00 off coupon, yay! My main gripe it the end with the balm that cannot be twisted down at all....I'm waiting for the time when I slap this on quickly in a rush and slam the top & mash the balm & that will be the end of that! I do like the whole idea of the stain, glosses can't last all night & lipstick always has a nasty taste & texture (my opinion). Anyways....great color, horrible packaging.
I tried Desire and Passion, which are supposedly the lightest colors, but for some reason, on me, Passion looked like a deep fushia and Desire looked like a red. I thought these were supposed to be "light" colors. I like the idea of long lasting lipwear, but these two didn't work for me. I haven't tried the other colors, and I don't know yet if I will.
Pros: great lasting power, marker-like tip allows you to put color right where you want it
Cons: weird colors, lip balm does not retract and snaps off because it is way too soft
I have fair skin and the colors are fairly bright, so I bought what appeared to be the two palest colors: Passion and Twightlight. Both shades are very *pink* and I have yellow undertones; Twightlight, the one I liked the best, makes my teeth look yellow.
I was disappointed by the colors/poor quality balm, but if you are going to use it here are my tips: exfoliate your lips first to acheive an even coat of color, and substitute the balm it comes with with your own favorite lip balm (it will work/feel better).
the staying power on this is great, but i didn't realize how bad my lips needed exfoliation! the moisturizer works lovely, but mine broke at the first use because i held it at an angle and gave it apparently too much pressure, so packaging problem there...
I really love this line of lip stains, except for one major flaw: the gloss end doesn't retract, and it breaks off incredibly easily. It doesn't stop me from buying and using it, but it is a hassle.