September 17, 2014 | 1987 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 9:26:00 PM More reviews by AnythingVanilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best foundation! Keeps oil at bay, lasts all day, looks natural and feels light but has full coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2013 1:49:00 PM More reviews by mimiluau

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

First of all, as an NC 50, I got this in the wrong shade of #75 which was slightly too dark and MUCH too red. But that's not why I'm rating this poorly. When they advertise this foundation as Matte, they're not joking. This is Matte to the point of dry, dull, and fuzzy. Maybe this could be an excellent foundation for super oily skin but for my acne-prone, sensitive, dry-cheeked, oily-t-zoned face, this was a mess. Sure it was alright on my forehead, but it made the white heads on my nose stand out and all the down hairs and dry patches on my cheeks stand out. This was NOT a flattering for my skin at all. The thing is I've seen this on YouTubers and it looked awesome which is why I got it. But this does NOT work at all on me. I also found it really difficult to apply, this doesn't spread or blend easily.

Packaging wise, I can see how it would be difficult-impossible not to experience considerable product wastage especially given the style of bottle and the consistency of the product. I suspect this could be really lovely on maybe oily skin that's smooth and in really good shape but if your skin has hairs, acne bumps, large pores etc, this may not be for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/13/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by Roxas1234530

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The packaging on this foundation is really nice. Simple but controllable. Also, if you are haveing trouble knowing what color you bought, the color number is the last 2 numbers of the number sequence on the bottom if the tube. Ok, on to the actual foundation. I think the colors are quite pinky, and I I couldn't find a good yellow tone to match my skin, the actual fformula is ok and did not break me out at all!! The thing is, is it didn't control oil too long on my nose which was a bummer, and later on in the day, it was completely obvious I was wearing makeup because it became real cakey and settled into lines and looked crusty... it was heavy, and didn't really look too natural either. I was dissapointed actually... I had really high hopes. My HG foundation now is the Urban Decay naked skin, I would recommend that foundation over this as it is also oil-free and demi-matte.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2013 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Christiebeebe1

Love Make Up Forevers Matte Velvet!

I have oily skin and have tried many foundations. This is the only one that has stayed! Now the company does not recommend a powder to go over it but I bought the HD Translucent powder and really love the soft effect it gives. I found out about this make up on Pinterest and of course was skeptical but was told at Ulta ( Ulta does not carry Make Up Forever) by a woman who used to work for the company that nothing else compares! WOW, was not expecting to hear that! Def give this product a try is you have oily skin!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Melisaaaaxox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Tried this foundation about a year ago i was in the color No. 30 - Porcelain,repurchased it twice, very good foundation, i have oily and acne prone skin, this foundation not only covered all my blemishes but also stayed matt through out the whole day. Thinking of going back to this foundation again soon.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 5:09:00 PM More reviews by JadaIgwe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried it and didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

Big problem is after only 20 minutes, I was an oompah-loompah orange, without primer. With primer, it lasted 2 hours before I was orange again. It was also too matte for me. Staying power was ok however, hence the not so low rating.

I know a lot of people like it, but it wasn't for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by babyblue59

This is my first ever high end foundation. My favorite foundations are Revlon Colorstay whipped and Covergirl Stay Fabulous and was excited to try this because I thought it would be a better, more luxurious version of those two. This foundation is nice but in all honesty, my inexpensive foundations are still better in terms of controlling oil and keeping me as matte as possible. Mat velvet keeps me perfectly matte for around 5-6 hours (WITH my Smashbox photo finish light primer, without the primer only about 3-4 hours) which might be enough for some, but I am used to foundations that keep me looking flawless for 10-12 hours AND they are a fraction of the price. This foundation is specifically marketed for combination/oily skin and it's nice , but in comparison to other foundations it just can't compete in terms of keeping me matte. The good thing is that this foundation responds well to touch ups. I can apply powder when I'm shiny and the foundation instantly looks fresh again. Re-powdering with this foundation never makes me look cakey or blotchy.

The thing I love most about this foundation is the coverage. It has better coverage than my Revlon and Covergirl and I can count on this to make my skin look perfectly even and flawless even with the reddest breakouts. If covers everything but it still looks fairly natural and not heavy. I know some people say the opposite, but as long as your apply this correctly (with a good buffing brush and without using too much) it looks really beautiful on the skin.

Overall, this is a nice foundation that offers good coverage and flawless results. If you have oily skin just be prepared to powder once or twice. Not a big deal unless you're like me and you've found products you don't have to do that with, but I think most oily girls are used to powdering/blotting. I have not decided if I will repurchase this when I run out yet. I think I'll have to see if I end up missing this in my collection when it's gone.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by fionavirginia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation surprisingly. I have the Makeup For Ever HD foundation and had high expectations of it but it disappoints me a little. Too expensive for a foundation that is not long-wearing, oxidizes and makes my face look like an oil slick by the 3rd hour, so I thought I gave Mat Velvet + a try and I like this better than the HD.
I'm an NC30 and Mat Velvet + shade #40 is perfect for my skin tone. As expected it gives a matte finish, but not too matte that it's easily cakey. It might be like that though in a cooler climate. (FYI, I live in a tropical climate about 100'F all year round with high humidity of 80-90%). This Mat Velvet + foundation has a slight thick consistency yet it feels light on face. I find the best application is using a damp sponge (beauty blender). But it's just me.. I always use the beauty blender when applying liquid foundations that have thicker consistency and would use a brush (Real Techniques Expert Face or Sigma F80/F88 kabuki) when applying more runny, liquid-y ones. Of course everyone's different and use whatever you feel most comfortable with that gives you the best result.
I put the MUFE Super Matte Loose Powder sparingly and a bit more on the t-zone area after applying the foundation and it lasts a good 6-7 hours with a little blotting on the t-zone. And it is surprisingly doesn't oxidize badly.
What I like most about this is that it doesn't give me a white cast in flash photography. Last weekend I was out with friends and we took many photos with flash and my face looked flawless. I also like the packaging, a little tube with a small nose tip that gives control over how much you want to use, usually 1-2 squirts is enough to do the whole face and neck. The tube is light and small, perfect to bring when travelling. I'm really not into big bottles with lids that tend to break (UD Naked Skin and MUFE HD) considering that they contain the same amount of product inside. I just wish this Mat Velvet + came in a clear tube so I knew how much product I had used.
Overall, I'm happy with this foundation, and will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by margheritax

I love this foundation! The texture is pretty thick and I find that the best application is with my fingers and then blending it out with my Real Techniques expert face brush. I love the packaging as it's very compact and plastic so there's no chance of it breaking. I wish it had a pump but that's not so bad considering the needle nose tip dispenses the product well. The finish is matte but not at all flat and I put a little bit of powder on my t-zone since I get shiny fairly easily. I use the powder very sparingly though and I don't need to touch up at all. The shade 40 matches me very well. Will definitely repurchase. I wish you could tell how much product was left though. :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this! I bought No. 45 - Soft Beige. For reference I have an NW30+ or so skin tone. Bought it on a whim and sight unseen and I got a perfect match. Not super pink, way more neutral. This has amazing coverage, looks flawless and stays on. Looks beautiful. I do not even need concealer for my slight melasma on my forehead! This will get cakey if you put a lot of layers or add a lot of setting powder (I learned the hard way). But it looks amazing in photos! I save this foundation for nights out/special occasions as it is pretty full coverage on me and looks "too made up" for running errands, etc. But this has surpassed with Clarins Everlasting for my nights out/stay on until daybreak/full makeup coverage foundations. This has a way better color match, no scent and I can use a lot less then Everlasting. Love this!