April 17, 2014 | 1910 users online

Loose Powders - Everyday Minerals - Silk Dust (Untinted ) [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2007 6:52:00 PM More reviews by sugarlumples

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product so much. I had experience with the blushes, concealers, and foundations from the sample kits, but this was my first time using the finishing powder. I have fair skin and this looks beautiful on. It feels light and really seems to help set my makeup.

I use the premium flat top brush to apply this powder and it works beautifully. As an aside, that brush is also fantastic!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2007 8:18:00 PM More reviews by kellygreeneyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm not exactly sure what to say about this product. I am new to mineral makeup and have tanned caucasian skin color that is neither oily nor dry. I ordered the EM silk dust in summer and whoa! it looked like I rubbed dirt on my face. It is way darker and ruddier than the color on the website. I attempted to salvage it by using it as a bronzer, but even then it just looks dirty. I had to throw it away, I was very disappointed.
    In an attempt to rate the product beyond a bad color match is really difficult. I actually tried very hard to pick the right color too, so I am pretty disappointed. The texture was alright and the packaging is difficult at best, I'm glad I have older powder jars with sifters. The price is good though. I've tried some of their other products and think using minerals is going to be a lot trial and error.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2007 5:02:00 PM More reviews by RedandGray

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is great for oil control and smooth finish. It does tend to come up slightly pale when on the skin, though. Put it on before your blush, and you'll be fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2007 10:24:00 AM More reviews by lynnsk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pure Silk Dust (Untinted)
    I'm not a fan of mineral makeup because of the way it enhances my pores and makes my face oily. But this powder is the best i've come across in years. It works better than any talc-based finishing powder i've tried. With my old talc based powders, my face would be shiny by the end of the day but this silk powder kept me matte, yet natural, all day long. I have no complaints regarding a white cast as I use very little - a light dusting on top of foundation is all that's necessary to keep me matte so I can see this box (i bought the large size for only 12 USD) lasting me at least 6 months!

Also, i have sensitive skin (rosacea) and have no problems with this product. Note: I bought the untinted version.

The only downside is that EDM do not provide samples of this product and also it smells a bit like a farm... Despite this, I'll be repurchasing

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2007 8:45:00 PM More reviews by tendersheep

I have used the tinted and untinted versions of this and like them both, but I'm quite pale and think the tinted one would suit more people. I'm also pretty oily, and this does a very decent job of setting foundation and keeping shine at bay, without the cakey, powdery build-up associated with talc or starch based powders. The smell is slightly 'seaside', but it is transient. My only real complaint is that it is not very free-flowing: I find I have to bang hell out of the packaging to get enough out, which gets a little tiresome.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2007 10:24:00 AM More reviews by vanfujiwara

I have the pure silk dust and unlike other reviews I've read, it doesn't make me look chalky at all. I use very little, before and after my foundation and I really love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by shortygal201

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow, I really love this. It definitely helps to keep my oil under control. I apply this after I am done putting on my mmu. I will also put it on when I am looking a bit shiny, and it immediately takes away the shine, leaving my skin looking not completely matte...just natural. I am loving this and would/will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2007 11:48:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

(This review is for the Tinted Silk Dust)

I don't think this keeps me as oil-free as Jurlique's Silk Dust (which doesn't actually have silk in it--it's mainly cornstarch and rice starch) but it does work okay. I think it's not ideal for the kind of hot and humid weather we've been experiencing lately in New England, but might work better as a setting powder during the cooler months, when the Jurlique stuff is a bit much.

I love the fact that this is 100% silk dust with a tiny bit of minerals to give it a light tint (it's still pretty light and I think, not recommended for deeper medium and dark toned skin; I have light-medium skin) so it's not ghostly white. The texture is coarser than what you'd expect, so it doesn't melt into the skin without doing a little bit of buffing. I do detect a slight scent, which is hard to describe, but it's not horrid or strong, nor does it last long.

The full sized jar of this stuff i relatively inexpensive at 12 USD for 13.5 grams, though you do have to order it from their website and shipping is about 4 USD. But it's a quality product and EDM has great customer service and speedy shipping, so I think I'd repurchase this item.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2007 11:14:00 PM More reviews by ChaCha_83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried Tinted balancing powder and it works wonders for me with a hint of color so that I won't look pale, so i tried Tinted Silk Dust for a change since so many raves about it.

My review: The Tinted Silk Dust is amazing! I have oily skin with breakouts and this stuff works so well especially living in a hot weather. I agree on the smell but i just have to get used to it cos this products works very well on acne prone skin especially when is prone to bacteria like me. No doubt about it, i will definitely repurchase this again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2007 5:18:00 PM More reviews by nyomya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I'm not a big fan of EM's products. I tried almost a year ago and stopped using them immediately. Since they're just sitting around, I recently tried again. Still didn't like them. Today, I read the reviews here and saw one mentioned to use this silk dust as primer. I also saw Laura Mercier's Mineral primer and gave it a try to my old EM tinted silk dust. I used EM's flat top brush. It made EM's matte foundation smoothly. I normally had cakey with any mineral foundation including L'Oreal and BE. I had Alpha Hydrox's 10% gel underneath, Neutrogena SPF45 lotion, waited about 5 min and applied this silk dust. Then, applied EM foundation (applied with EoB foundation brush from CVS). Then, I dusted EM sunscreen as finishing powder (with BE's soft focus brush). It's over 90F outside in DC (not humid today). Of course, I sweat but my face looked no shine as usual; just fine. My crater pores on the cheeks are the same size though. It did smell when I applied with brush but disappeared quickly.

FYI: I've oily and sensitive skin. EM's foundation did clog pores, especially around the nose and caused blackheads. I use Panasonic pore cleaner once a week. I don't plan to use EM everyday but plan to use often in the summer with this silk dust as primer.

8/21/07 Update: I still love this tinted silk dust as primer. It's a bit white cast to my face though but no more shine and stay put for my Estee Lauder Double Ware and randomly picked mineral foundation. Planning to purchase small summer silk dust to blend the 2 colors.

9/14/07 Update: I am officially in love with silk powder and purchased more, from TKB Trading with $3.50 for an ounce (~28g) uncolored (not smelly like EM) and mix with EM's summer silk dust. I can adjust color with much cheaper price. Both are not finely milled; quite gritty. I recommend EM's personal kit for bargain price. About the same price of Laura Mercier's primer but ~2 years supply ;)