October 2, 2014 | 1489 users online

Liquid - Bobbi Brown - Luminous Moisturizing Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 11:32:00 AM More reviews by noname103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow!!! I got a sample of this and honestly didn't expect much from it, but decided to give it a try when I was cleaning out my makeup box. I received Warm Sand. I expected it to be really dark but it was a perfect color for my skin. it wasn't too orange and it blended very well without a brush. It actually just made my skin look wonderfully dewy. I do admit it was a bit oilier than I expected but so far its pros outweigh the cons. As of now I will definitely repurchase!
EDIT: ok I'm upping my rating from 4 to 5. This foundation makes my already decent skin look soooo gorgeous. Even though I recently (1 month ago) bought a different bottle of foundation I was happy with, I've already decided to redo my foundation regime around this product and will be purchasing a full size of it as soon as I can. LOVE!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by Xee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of Bobbi Brown products, bought this one at an annual warehouse clearance event for less than $20.

Great coverage with pea size amount of foundation, I use a foundation brush and stroke only on center of my face, applying to entire face would appear "shiny/oily".

Only down side is the packaging, would prefer if it comes with a pump.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by NatalieJ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I generally love Bobbi's foundations, but I'm on the fence with this one. I love the feel, coverage and color match (Beige), but I think I'm just too old for this. I'm in my 40's and have frankly outgrown the shiny face look. I'd love this foundation if I wasn't **quite** so luminous.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by martinezorb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my worst buy to this date. I bought this because it is the only brand I know that has really pale shades, and just bought it to check it out. While the colour was good, i purchased Porcelain, the texture was not. My skin is dry like sahara, and this actually made my skin look oily! Not luminous, just oily! It broke me out too, and I usually never get breakouts. A waste of my hard-earned cash.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 10:47:00 PM More reviews by suzannaelektra

Believe it or not but I did try using this for with my combination/oily complexion and surprising it looked and felt good! I worked for 6 hours and only had to touch up my powder 2 times...the coverage was light but i was able to build it a little and used just a bit of concealer under my eyes (i have no scarring or anything just a little redness) and it evened out my skin tone nicely. I set with my MAC studio fix powder so that helped to give me extra coverage. All in all, it's a nice change from the everyday matte liquid foundation. I did feel like my skin looked more "fresh" and luminous but not oily. I could see people that don't have dry skin having problems with this transferring if they don't set with a good powder. I bought this in warm sand 2.5 and natural 4 and the natural works for me. I put the other one for swap because I think it will be too light.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2010 12:59:00 PM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

This review is based on a generous sample of this product, and I have used it every day for one week.
I'm a bit torn about this foundation. I've got my skin pretty well under control at the moment. I have combination acne prone skin. It's dry, but I also get oiliness in the t-zone. My skin is mostly clear right now, but I'm still fighting the occasional hormonal breakout.
I've enjoyed using the Luminous Moisturizing Foundation. Since it's winter right now, a more moisturizing formula feels good on my skin, and I've found the application to be smooth and even. It doesn't feel heavy on the skin, but I do think setting lightly with a good powder is an important step or it transfers off too easily and feels too foundation-like. I haven't noticed any anti-aging benefits, but in this weather, it has actually felt pretty good on my skin which is a good bonus.

Like any foundation, this will accentuate dryness on your skin, the moisturizing formula doesn't change that. I have a bit of dry flaky skin around my nose, and it looks ten times worse as soon as foundation touches the area. However, I'm not feeling like my skin is dead dry and sorely in need of moisture by 1/2 way through the day.
The coverage is medium, possibly build-able to heavier coverage, but I think it looks best with a light application. It blends into the skin well, and looks natural. I was pleased with the color, Porcelain is a good match for my skin which is about NW 15-20 in the MAC range. However, like all Bobbi Brown foundations, it is yellow-toned, and I'm more neutral to cool. That said, it isn't too yellow on me, and once it's on and blended it looks very natural, with a good texture and smoothness.

So, that's what I like about it. On the other hand, I hate that the bottle doesn't have a pump. And more importantly, in my trial period, I have had a small breakout. I am not 100% certain if this is entirely down to the foundation, but nothing else has changed, and like I said earlier, my skin has been doing quite well lately. This is obviously a worry, because when picking an everyday foundation, it's absolutely essential that it doesn't break me out.

So after 1 week of use, I'm undecided. I will be trying other things, but I might come back to this as a good winter foundation for me, if I can sample it again, and don't break out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2010 8:35:00 AM More reviews by syeung2

Product - Liquid foundation, moderate coverage. I'm more of a tinted moisturizer kind of gal in general, but this foundation feels surprisingly nice. It's not too thick and not too runny - just the right texture to work into the skin and blend. Does not feel heavy, cakey, or chalky when applied carefully. It doesn't feel particularly moisturizing on my combination skin, but at least it's not drying or oily either. Does tend to emphasize dry patches though, as any liquid foundation would, by settling under dry flaky skin - really makes my skin look old, unfortunately. I don't see any shimmery quality in this, if that's what "luminous" means. The foundation wears quite well, all day in fact, and without any change in color. Normally my face gets the late-afternoon oilies, but while wearing this the oilies never appear (yay!). Adheres very well to my skin, which means if I use fingertips to apply then I need soap and water to get my hands clean - but that also means it stays put all day and passes my nose-blowing test (tissue comes away clean). If I mix the foundation with my daily moisturizer (i.e., for lighter coverage, more like a tinted moisturizer), then the shades are more forgiving (plus my moisturizer provides some SPF as well, which the foundation does not).

Shades - For me (AAB/NC25, strong yellow undertones), Warm Sand (2.5) and Beige (3) are too beige and not tan enough to match my warm skintone; I can make them work if I apply very sparingly or if I blend it with moisturizer first. Warm Sand is just a smidge lighter than Beige but not by much. Both are predominantly beige with slight yellow undertone but overall seem quite neutral-toned, without any detectable peachy or orange tones; neither turns ashy or orange on on me. Warm Beige (3.5) is a much better match for me, but still a tad light - wearable for me but I wouldn't go any lighter than this. Natural (4) is the best match in terms of color depth, but sometimes looks a tad more yellow/golden than I need.

Comparisons - CG Smoothers Tinted Moisturizer in Light To Medium and MD Skincare All-In-One Tinted Moisturizer in Medium are very close matches to BB LMF Warm Beige and Natural, respectively; note that the CG and MD products are TMs not foundations, so obviously they are not as richly pigmented.

Packaging - Old-fashioned glass bottle with black screw cap. Seriously Bobbi, a bottle? It's so hard to control the amount that comes out and not very travel-friendly.

Overall - Feels great on my oily zones, but emphasizes dryness elsewhere. Not moisturizing at all and makes my skin look old :( Exfoliating before applying is a must for me with this, unless I mix it with my daily moisturizer and wear as a TM. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Goldenstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This looks absolutely beautiful when I apply it to my normal-ish skin. But very soon after application, it just slides off my face/disappears....not sure what happens. It bums me because I just love the luminosity & how easily it applies. But it's useless if it doesn't stay put- & it doesn't. Maybe this is best for very dry skin. And yes, a pump would be better for the packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by jasminefire

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The first time I tried this product--several years ago--it had a strange medicinal smell that put me off. There seems to have been some redeveloping at work, as it's now much more pleasant to the snifffer. Bobbi Brown offers the best shades for Asian skin, and this foundation is no exception. The consistency is medium, and the effect is soft and somewhat luminous. Kind to my dry skin, with no hint of irritation to my sensitivities.. For some reason, I don't like this makeup as much as I think I should, and it just sits in my medicine chest. Maybe because I've become more frugal? Maybe for $45 it should be AMAZINGLY good?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 6:26:00 PM More reviews by classof59

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just love this foundation. It gives my skin the moisture and luminosity promised. I apply with a beauty blender sponge, and the result is almost flawless. I say almost because I do have some redness that requires a light application of BB foundation stick over it. I definitely recommend it. My skin is dry but you'd never know it when I'm wearing this.